Minister Moerman negotiating a BRU - China route

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

OO-VEX

Minister Moerman negotiating a BRU - China route

Post by OO-VEX »

According to an article from 'De Standaard Online' Flemish minister Moerman will have a meeting on Sunday evening with BIAC and the CEO of Hainan Airlines about a possible Brussels-Beijing route.

OO-VEX

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

I thought that kind of contract was negotiated by Belgian ministers...
André
ex Sabena #26567

OO-VEX

Post by OO-VEX »

sn26567 wrote:I thought that kind of contract was negotiated by Belgian ministers...
Belgian economy minister Marc Verwilghen is member of the same party as Moerman. So in this case it could be possible that both will negotiate about the contract. They both could have the same aim and for both the other minister is a partner for them.

OO-VEX

Airborne

Post by Airborne »

There was also a report and an interview with Marc Verwilghen on the VTM news.

[click to view the online stream - @ 09:10 minutes]

Greetzzz,
Kristof :wink:

Ozzie1969
Location: Brugge, Flanders + Annan, Scotland + Ormoc,Philippines

Post by Ozzie1969 »

sn26567 wrote:I thought that kind of contract was negotiated by Belgian ministers...
You don't really believe that regional governments in Belgium actually mean anything, do you?

CSB

Post by CSB »

as a lawstudent, i think they really do mean someting. the federal goverment can't decide in matters that belong to the regional governments.

Ozzie1969
Location: Brugge, Flanders + Annan, Scotland + Ormoc,Philippines

Post by Ozzie1969 »

CSB wrote:as a lawstudent, i think they really do mean someting. the federal goverment can't decide in matters that belong to the regional governments.
You're young. You'll learn.

Avro

Post by Avro »

I heard something similar yesterday on TV. According to them it's minitser Verwilghen who will negociate with some chinese people.

And as FlyingBelgian said they also mentioned something about SouthAfrica....

Anyway, this year will certainly be very interesting for BRU.

Chris

SN30952

Post by SN30952 »

Yes, usually foreign affaires deal with these matters for the kingdom.
Regional ministers deal with it for the regions.....

But I read that story already on 25 november 2004 in Trend.be

C_J

Post by C_J »

It was also mentioned in the newpaper "Het Nieuwsblad". Let us hope that Fientje Moerman reaches an agreement with Hainan Airlines (they have a lovely colour scheme btw).

Flying-Belgian

Post by Flying-Belgian »

As one of the Australian member of BIAC's board said: 2005 will be THE year for EBBR...

Wait and see...

FB.

blackhawk

Post by blackhawk »

In Dutch: http://actuality.skynet.be/index.html?o ... e&p1=22655

In the future, they would like to set up a base and a hub at BRU.

Avro

Post by Avro »

blackhawk wrote:In Dutch: http://actuality.skynet.be/index.html?o ... e&p1=22655

In the future, they would like to set up a base and a hub at BRU.
Interesting, but I would first wait to see the first Hainan plane touching down in BRU :)

Chris

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Ozzie1969 wrote:You don't really believe that regional governments in Belgium actually mean anything, do you?
Wrong! But international aviation treaties that imply Brussels National (BRU) airport are the responsibility of the federal government. The Flemish government is responsible for ANR and OST and the Walloon government for LGG and CRL.
André
ex Sabena #26567

OO-VEX

Post by OO-VEX »

According to an article from 'Het Nieuwsblad', a decision about this route is expected in 2 months.

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Note: the discussion on South African routes from Brussels have been split away from this thread to this new one.
André
ex Sabena #26567

asianboy

Post by asianboy »

i have a link from today
it's in french :D
http://www.lalibre.be/article.phtml?id= ... _id=208632

SN30952

Do not move too fast....

Post by SN30952 »

asianboy wrote:i have a link from today
Much and not much
Maybe yes, maybe no. But that is not decided here, in that meeting. Chinese tradition will tell you, the decision will be taken with all the managers at chinese headquarters.
If there is one delegation in Brussels, there is an other elsewhere, or the same delegation will meet with others.
But the most important manoeuvre will be done by the delegations of the competitors in China: the Dutch and the Germans are in China.

I put my bets on Germany. (A couple of weekly Airbusses on the relation BRU-Germany vv. and LH sweeps all the market - this is too important for the Germans to let go). Chinese passengers do not come to BRU to fly to Africa, they are in Africa. How do you think they did before? There are more Chinese than Belgians in Africa.

But PEK to DKR via BRU is 2000km shorter than via ADD, you'll say, and that is correct. PEK-NBO via BRU is 5000 more than via ADD!
(And that's more than BRU-DKR= 4470 km)

asianboy

Post by asianboy »

wait and see :)

tolipanebas

Post by tolipanebas »

Two things to retain from the article in LaLibre:

If an agreement is made, the route will be announced shortly before the state visit of the King of the Belgians to China, so somewhere in June then?

It will be a codeshare with SN Brussels Airlines.

Forget that African quote in the article, that's just the reporter willing to show he knows what both airlines stand for, but I seriously doubt the importance of the African-Asian traffic is going to make or break this deal. Much more important for the deal is the European connections SN is able to provide the planned BRU-China route with...