Trivia 2019 (miscellaneous news)

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

Post Reply
DIBO
Posts: 543
Joined: 28 Mar 2009, 14:54

Re: Trivia 2019 (miscellaneous news)

Post by DIBO » 20 Nov 2019, 15:39

737MAX wrote:
19 Nov 2019, 11:48
The A220 seems to be really good compared to the E2. Although one airline in Belgium thinks the E2 is a better product, I fail to see why honestly... any specialist in the E2/A220 battle around here? :)
to start, no specialist at all, here...

The answer really depends on how many "if's" apply to your situation:
* if (re)starting from scratch as an operator, A220 might be the more modern, 'better' plane
* if you are a current Airbus (only) airline -> A220
* if you are a current E17*/9* operator -> E2:
- existing logistics/working relation with Embraer
- minimal crew conversion training costs (pilots 2,5days - no full flight sim required)
- a (limited) degree of commonality between the E-family reduces somewhat the spare parts requirements
* if looking for the higher end seating capacity -> A220
* if looking for the lower end seating -> E2 (for the really lower capacity wait 2 yrs. for the E175E2)
* if wanting to maximising the pax/cabin crew ratio -> E2
* if looking for an efficient replacement for your A319 -> A220
* if looking for max. range -> A220 (although it seems Embraer is 'downplaying' the real E2 range)
* if aiming for LCY, Toronto's City, or similar short runway, steep approaches -> A220-100
* if you have no strong commercial bargaining position: E2 should be the cheaper option
* wanting to take my preference into account -> E2: I prefer the 2+2 seating :-)

Bottom line: academic discussion, look what fits best for your operations. So, one airline in Belgium knows the E2 is the better product for them. :D
My 'Future' scale: CS100/300: mediocre / A220: bright / Embraer E-family: good / Boeing-Embraer: better

User avatar
sn26567
Posts: 35744
Joined: 13 Feb 2003, 00:00
Location: Rosières/Rozieren, Belgium
Contact:

Re: Trivia 2019 (miscellaneous news)

Post by sn26567 » 20 Nov 2019, 23:21

Vietnam bans the import of leased aircraft of more than 10 years old from entering the country, effective 01 January 2020. Aircraft currently on lease cannot be more than 20 years old by lease expiry. Cargo aircraft shall not exceed 15 years old at time of import, and 25 years by lease end.

Can a similar regulation be implemented in Belgium? It would be a blow for one well-known airline!
André
ex Sabena #26567

convair
Posts: 1784
Joined: 18 Nov 2011, 00:02

Re: Trivia 2019 (miscellaneous news)

Post by convair » 21 Nov 2019, 00:59

sn26567 wrote:
20 Nov 2019, 23:21
Vietnam bans the import of leased aircraft of more than 10 years old from entering the country, effective 01 January 2020. Aircraft currently on lease cannot be more than 20 years old by lease expiry. Cargo aircraft shall not exceed 15 years old at time of import, and 25 years by lease end.

Can a similar regulation be implemented in Belgium? It would be a blow for one well-known airline!
Isn't that a stupid regulation?

User avatar
Yuqu12
Posts: 445
Joined: 04 Mar 2016, 09:41

Re: Trivia 2019 (miscellaneous news)

Post by Yuqu12 » 21 Nov 2019, 15:50

States have sovereignty over their territory and the airspace above it. They could impose such rules, probably for safety or environmental reasons

convair
Posts: 1784
Joined: 18 Nov 2011, 00:02

Re: Trivia 2019 (miscellaneous news)

Post by convair » 21 Nov 2019, 16:28

Yuqu12 wrote:
21 Nov 2019, 15:50
States have sovereignty over their territory and the airspace above it. They could impose such rules, probably for safety or environmental reasons
They certainly have that prerogative, but the russian example clearly shows that there are often other, less noble, reasons involved.

Passenger
Posts: 6357
Joined: 06 Dec 2010, 20:54

Re: Trivia 2019 (miscellaneous news)

Post by Passenger » 21 Nov 2019, 19:21

sn26567 wrote:
20 Nov 2019, 23:21
Vietnam bans the import of leased aircraft of more than 10 years old from entering the country, effective 01 January 2020. Aircraft currently on lease cannot be more than 20 years old by lease expiry. Cargo aircraft shall not exceed 15 years old at time of import, and 25 years by lease end.

Can a similar regulation be implemented in Belgium? It would be a blow for one well-known airline!
Actually, it seems that the Chicago Convention forbits to close the airspace (inbound or passing through), unless for safety reasons:

"...Each contracting State may, for reasons of military necessity or public safety, restrict or prohibit uniformly the aircraft of other States from flying over certain areas of its territory, provided that no distinction in this respect is made between the aircraft of the State whose territory is involved, engaged in international scheduled airline services, and the aircraft of the other contracting States likewise engaged. Such prohibited areas shall be of reasonable extent and location so as not to interfere unnecessarily with air navigation. Descriptions of such prohibited areas in the territory of a contracting State, as well as any subsequent alterations therein, shall be communicated as soon as possible to the other contracting States and to the International Civil Aviation Organization...

"...Each contracting State reserves the right, for reasons of public order and safety, to regulate or prohibit the carriage in or above its territory of articles other than those enumerated..."


Source:
https://www.icao.int/publications/pages/doc7300.aspx

User avatar
luchtzak
Posts: 11347
Joined: 18 Sep 2002, 00:00
Location: Hofstade, Zemst - Belgium
Contact:

Re: Trivia 2019 (miscellaneous news)

Post by luchtzak » 21 Nov 2019, 22:07

Turkish Airlines Boeing 737-800 suffers nose gear collapse during landing at Odessa, Ukraine

https://www.aviation24.be/airlines/turk ... a-ukraine/

User avatar
Yuqu12
Posts: 445
Joined: 04 Mar 2016, 09:41

Re: Trivia 2019 (miscellaneous news)

Post by Yuqu12 » 21 Nov 2019, 23:06

Passenger wrote:
21 Nov 2019, 19:21
sn26567 wrote:
20 Nov 2019, 23:21
Vietnam bans the import of leased aircraft of more than 10 years old from entering the country, effective 01 January 2020. Aircraft currently on lease cannot be more than 20 years old by lease expiry. Cargo aircraft shall not exceed 15 years old at time of import, and 25 years by lease end.

Can a similar regulation be implemented in Belgium? It would be a blow for one well-known airline!
Actually, it seems that the Chicago Convention forbits to close the airspace (inbound or passing through), unless for safety reasons:

"...Each contracting State may, for reasons of military necessity or public safety, restrict or prohibit uniformly the aircraft of other States from flying over certain areas of its territory, provided that no distinction in this respect is made between the aircraft of the State whose territory is involved, engaged in international scheduled airline services, and the aircraft of the other contracting States likewise engaged. Such prohibited areas shall be of reasonable extent and location so as not to interfere unnecessarily with air navigation. Descriptions of such prohibited areas in the territory of a contracting State, as well as any subsequent alterations therein, shall be communicated as soon as possible to the other contracting States and to the International Civil Aviation Organization...

"...Each contracting State reserves the right, for reasons of public order and safety, to regulate or prohibit the carriage in or above its territory of articles other than those enumerated..."


Source:
https://www.icao.int/publications/pages/doc7300.aspx
If Vietnam thinks that older planes aren't safe they could use the Chicago Convention to prohibit access, although the article you just quoted deals more with the possibilty for States to close certain parts for military purposes or in case there is a war/terroristic attack. But as said previously by convair, Russia uses its airspace for political reasons despite the fact that could be seen as contrary to the spirit of the Chicago Convention. Then there is the problem that ICAO cannot enforcd the Chicago Convention but that's another discussion.

PttU
Posts: 330
Joined: 24 Nov 2015, 15:07

Re: Trivia 2019 (miscellaneous news)

Post by PttU » 22 Nov 2019, 11:58

To me it seems like two different things:
"Vietnam bans the import of leased aircraft of more than 10 years old from entering the country, effective 01 January 2020. Aircraft currently on lease cannot be more than 20 years old by lease expiry. Cargo aircraft shall not exceed 15 years old at time of import, and 25 years by lease end." <= I read this as they don't want on on Vietnamese registrations. Nothing with takeoff or landing rights, or overfly rights.

rwandan-flyer
Posts: 288
Joined: 19 Dec 2010, 12:30

Re: Trivia 2019 (miscellaneous news)

Post by rwandan-flyer » 25 Nov 2019, 20:26

Largest airlines in Africa (AFRAA members), in terms of passegners, in 2018. Some of them serve Brussels Airport. Average load factor is 71% (RwandAir is at 59%), which is far from the potential of African market

Regional = Africa

You can see that both South African Airways and Kenya Airways are loosing pax on some markets, due to the competition which has lead them to close some routes in Africa or oustide Africa and reduced their fleet

Air Algérie is now the 4th largest airlines in Africa, while RwandAir has reached the 1 millions mark

https://www.afraa.org/wp-content/upload ... t_2019.pdf

Image

Image
Last edited by rwandan-flyer on 25 Nov 2019, 20:38, edited 1 time in total.

jan_olieslagers
Posts: 3029
Joined: 24 Jun 2006, 08:34
Location: Vl.Brabant
Contact:

Re: Trivia 2019 (miscellaneous news)

Post by jan_olieslagers » 25 Nov 2019, 20:34

Thanks for info, @Rwandair. Particularly surprising to me to see South African Airways only fifth - surely they lost a lot of traffic, then, recently? Weren't they a major carrier at one time, perhaps even Africa's biggest?

rwandan-flyer
Posts: 288
Joined: 19 Dec 2010, 12:30

Re: Trivia 2019 (miscellaneous news)

Post by rwandan-flyer » 25 Nov 2019, 20:45

Your welcome. I have just added stats, from 2017.

South African Airways is also struggling, due to the strong competition, from few African and European Airlines, but mainly from Gulf carriers.

Ex: Emirates serves Johannesburg 4 times a day (SAA has put its code share on these flights), Cape Town 2-3 times a day and Durban 2 times a day.

SAA closed several routes since 1-2 years and reduced capacity on others.

Closed: Beijing, Mumbai, Buenos Aires, Brazaville, Libreville, Cotonou, Douala, Abuja. The airline has also closed the London-Cape Town service, few years ago.
Less capacity: Entebbe (from A319 / A320 to ERJ 190), Luanda (only weekly service), Abidjan (from A330 to A320), London Heathrow now served 1 times a day, instead of 2 times.

User avatar
lumumba
Posts: 1647
Joined: 04 Sep 2003, 00:00
Location: brussels Europe

Re: Trivia 2019 (miscellaneous news)

Post by lumumba » 25 Nov 2019, 22:28

Luanda (SAA) has a daily flight but using a A320 in the past they used the A300 and the 747-400.

But it seems to me that South Africa has a very bad geographical position they can not be used has a hub from the EU or the US in that optic they lose a lot of passengers.

For RAM it's all the contrary they can be used has a hub and they play that card also.
Hasta la victoria siempre.

User avatar
luchtzak
Posts: 11347
Joined: 18 Sep 2002, 00:00
Location: Hofstade, Zemst - Belgium
Contact:

Re: Trivia 2019 (miscellaneous news)

Post by luchtzak » 26 Nov 2019, 20:13

Antonov An-124-100 suffers engine failure during take-off at Ostend-Bruges Airport, Belgium

https://www.aviation24.be/airlines/anto ... t-belgium/

globetrotter
Posts: 1038
Joined: 14 Nov 2005, 00:00

Re: Trivia 2019 (miscellaneous news)

Post by globetrotter » 03 Dec 2019, 21:11

Ariana Afghan has moved operations to Istanbul's Sabiha Gokcen airport, not sure when this happened or if they even served the new IST.

Homo Aeroportus
Posts: 1085
Joined: 24 Feb 2007, 18:28
Location: 2300NM due South of North Pole

Re: Trivia 2019 (miscellaneous news)

Post by Homo Aeroportus » 04 Dec 2019, 14:29

Air Senegal, HC/SZN, has taken delivery of their new A330-900 yesterday in Toulouse.
A330-900-Air-Senegal-MSN1910-take-off-004.jpg
She is their second WB after the same type, 9H-SZN leased from Hi Fly, entered service in spring 2019.
Pictured above is their first one, s/n 1914.

Both are currently heading for DSS :
(the new bird first headed North after leaving TLS)
2nd SZN A339.png
The new A339 will land at DSS in the late afternoon to be welcomed by the president of Senegal Macky Sall.
She (reg unknown to me) will start commercial service on 12DEC and will be used mainly on the new route DSS-MRS-BCN-DSS.
With two WBs Air Senegal will soon operate transatlantic service.


Airbus also confirms that Air Senegal has placed an order for eight (8) A220-300. This is probably in offset of the option they had for two more A339 that they cancelled.

The A220s will complement the current fleet of 2 A319 and a couple of ATRs.
A220-300-Air-Senegal.jpg


H.A.

Post Reply