Qantas long-haul

Share your experiences about your latest flights: details and pictures are highly appreciated by our community. How do you rate airlines, in-flight meals, frequent flyer programs, etc... join this forum now!
dna

Qantas long-haul

Post by dna »

Hi everyone,

In February I'll be flying to Sydney on Qantas (via FRA, return via LHR). Can anyone tell me what Qantas' international economy is like? I've flown with Qantas domestic Sydney-Cairns-Sydney a few years ago, and I remember those flights were fine.

Thanks,

Dave

Sabena_690

Post by Sabena_690 »

QF is known for a good and overall quite friendly service.

The only downpoint I regularly hear is that their 31 inch seat pitch tends to be very uncomfortable/cramped on those very long flights to Australia.

Regards
Frederic
Brussels Airlines - Flying Your Way

dna

Post by dna »

Thanks for the feedback Frederic.

I'll have to remember to book an appointment with my chiropractor for when I get back!

Dave

Sabena_690

Post by Sabena_690 »

General tips airlines give you:

x drink lot's of water
x avoid alcohol/coffee/tea
x try to be relaxed, and make a wander in the galley from time to time
x try to sleep as much as possible (as long as the 31 inch seat permits you to do so)

Enjoy your flight! And please write a report about your flight experiences ;)

One minor detail: try to go to check-in as soon as possible to arrange an exit row seat! Normally exit-row seats are only open during check-in (not possible to reserve them in advance), and as usually: first come, first served!

Regards
Frederic

dna

Post by dna »

Thanks for the tips Frederic.

I did manage to book an emergency exit seat (aisle, which gives more space in my experience then a window seat) on my return flight to Europe, so that should be fine.

I have flown to Australia before on Gulf Air and Singapore Airlines. Gulf Air was fine, but quite noisy (not because of the A340 but because of my noisy neighbours), and I didn't find the F/A particularly friendly or helpful. Singapore Airlines were fine, even though I find them a little over-hyped. But as they stopped flying from BRU, I thought it might be better to try Qantas.

I'll definitely post reports about BRU-FRA-SYD-LHR-BRU after I return.

Dave

luchtzak

Post by luchtzak »

Dave,

whenever possible can you make some pictures of the meals you will be served inflight? Qantas airlinemeals are not yet in the luchtzak-database ;-)

Anyway enjoy your trip! I am dreaming about going to Australia once 8)

greetz,

Bart
:rock:

Lame

Post by Lame »

Qantas International flights are still very good, as they always have been. :D

However their Domestic flights now leave a lot to be desired. :roll:

They seem to think that as their only competition is now Virgin Blue, instead of Ansett, they do not need anything other than a very basic service, like Virgin Blue. :x

Sabena_690

Post by Sabena_690 »

I did manage to book an emergency exit seat (aisle, which gives more space in my experience then a window seat) on my return flight to Europe, so that should be fine.
That's nice! I didn't know they could be assigned in advance...

Out of curiosity: isn't a window seat more comfortable to sleep (you can put your head against the wall)?

Since the seat next to me wasn't occupied this summer on a short 30 minute flight on an Aer Lingus A330, I tested several positions on both seats to sleep, and I would prefer the window for comfort, and for spotting when you are taxiing!

Regards
Frederic

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Sabena_690 wrote:General tips airlines give you:

x drink lot's of water
x avoid alcohol/coffee/tea
Why do airlines give such tips and never implement them?

Try getting lots of water during a long flight in economy! The f/a will get bored and stop looking at you...

On the other hand, I would agree to stop drinking coffee and tea, but free booze is difficult to refuse :)
André
ex Sabena #26567

dna

Post by dna »

Out of curiosity: isn't a window seat more comfortable to sleep (you can put your head against the wall)?
I flew to the Sydney Olympics in a Singapore Airlines 747-400, and we had secured exit seats each way. I found the window seat quite uncomfortable: the emergency exit door takes up quite a bit of space, which made it very hard to stretch your legs, especially if the middle seat is occupied as well. The aisle seet somehow seemed to make it easier for me to try and get some sleep - usually a hopeless prospect for me anyway.
Try getting lots of water during a long flight in economy! The f/a will get bored and stop looking at you...
I went through an experience like that on Gulf Air. I asked for some water, indeed I got the bored look but the f/a did give me a 1.5l bottle of water! :D
Qantas International flights are still very good, as they always have been.

However their Domestic flights now leave a lot to be desired.
I guess I'll be able to put that to the test as I have booked a Sydney-Cairns return flight on Qantas as well.

terenia

Post by terenia »

A problem with the emergency exit rows is that you cannot store your handluggage under the seat in front of you: the passage must always remain free.

Comet

Post by Comet »

No one has ever mentioned to the Air New Zealand flight attendants that long haul passengers should drink lots of water - they are never available when you want them. On my last flight with ANZ the cabin crews were refusing to answer the call buttons, and on a 10 1/2 hour flight there were only two offers of drinks. Also, never drink white wine on ANZ, it tastes like turps.
Sabena and Sobelair - gone but never forgotten.
Louise

Avro

Post by Avro »

On all long haul flights I've done in economy, the F/A never told us to drink a lot of water, and it was not always easy to obtain some. On the other hand when I travelled in business class with Sabena from BRU to CVG, I was able to ask for water as many times as I wanted.
In my opinion there is really a big difference on that level between economy and business class.

Ciao
Chris
8)