BRU-ZRH-IST with LX on 09 May 2007

Share your experiences about your latest flights: details and pictures are highly appreciated by our community. How do you rate airlines, in-flight meals, frequent flyer programs, etc... join this forum now!
sn26567

BRU-ZRH-IST with LX on 09 May 2007

Post by sn26567 »

Ever since SN stopped flying to Istanbul, the choice of direct flights is reduced to Turkish Airlines, whose schedules are not really convenient for the busisness trip I intended, or Thomas Vook Airlines, even less convenient with only 2 flights a week. By consulting the Expedia Corporate website I found that the most convenent cheap option was the Star Alliance, with Swiss via Zurich outbound, and Lufthansa via Frankfurt inbound. The total fare was EUR264.71.

I left home at 6:05 to go to the airport by car and I arrived that the airport at 6:35 had). I had checked in by Internet for both flights the day before, but still had to stand in the queue to register my baggage (no baggage drop in like with SN: one bad point for Swiss).

I then walked to Gate 29 in Terminal B and had breakfast (a croissant and a coffee) at the "Corner" in the middle of the Terminal.

BRU-ZRH

Flight: LX 771, codeshared with SN
Aircraft: Airbus A319 HB-IPU
Seat: 10A grey leather in a 3-3 configuration (window, on the emergency exit above the wing)

Departure time scheduled/actual: 07:35/08:00 (air traffic control delay)
Arrival time scheduled/actual: 08:50/09:10
Load factor: 90% in Economy, about 10 pax for 7 rows in Business

Boarding was from gate B29 and started a full 30 minutes before the scheduled departure time. No wonder that it was finished 10 minutes ahead of schedule. I settled in my window seat, with a lot of legroom due to the emergency exit; it was nice and comfortable in a spot-clean cabin. A stewardess came to explain me how to open the emergency exit and asked me if I was feeling OK to do it in case of need. Then captain Hautier announced an ATC delay of 25 minutes. He would try to shorten it, but eventually did not manage and the plane was pushed back 25 minutes late.

The Captain proceeded smoothly to runway 25R, but had to wait there for another 5 minutes before being allowed to take off. Meanwhile our 3 friendly cabin crew (two stewardesses and a steward) made the safety announcements in French, German and English, with a tape-recorded message in Dutch.

As soon as the "fasten seat belt" light went off, the stewardesses started serving breakfastin C class and a few minutes later a muffin in Y class. I asked for an orange juice with it.

The flight itself was uneventful: not much to see through the heavy clouds. Before arrival the screens showed our gate of arrival A82 and the departure gates for the connecting flights. My flight to Istanbul was announced at Gate A75, not far away thus. From my plane at gate A75 I took this picture:

After disembarking I proceeded directly to the departure gate, underwent a new baggage scan (more serious than in Brussels, as my hand baggage had to be hand-checked and a bottle of perfume was singled out as not being correctly packaged in a transparent plastic bag.

ZRH-IST

Flight: LX 1800 (no codeshare!)
Aircraft: Airbus A320 HB-IJN
(thanks to Robin Bamps for the registration)
Seat: 14F (window) grey leather in a 3-3 configuration
Departure time scheduled/actual: 09:50/10:15
Arrival time scheduled/actual: 13:35/13:40
Load factor: 80% in Y, 30% in C

Boarding started at 09:45. When everybody was on board, at around 10:00, the captain made a strange announcement: "Ladies and gentlemen, a typical Swiss story has occurred. A small plane landed on the main runway; its engine stalled and it could not roll away. We will thus be delayed by approximately another 15 minutes, in order to allow the control tower to rearrange the runways."

And so we waited until 10:15 for pushback. Four stewardesses tended for the passengers. Announcements were made first in German, French and English. Just before takeoff from the newly allocated Runway 34, the captain announced that due to strong tail winds we would not be delayed to much on arrival.

Meanwhile I could spot a few interesting birds: a Malaysian B777, the Delta B767 in Habitat colours, etc.

Once at cruising altitude a meal was served first in C class, and a choice of three hot filled wraps in Y class. I chose the spinach wrap, which was not a good idea, because the filling was rather liquid and dripping everywhere. I asked for a beer and got a 33 cl can of Heineken instead :) . As I was thirsty, I asked for another one when the stewardess came around for the second order of drinks.

The flight route took us over Klagenfurt, Ljubljana, Belgrade and Sofia. Quite interesting, but mostly covered by clouds which only cleared over Bulgaria. The views on the Istanbul approach were stunning, first over the Sea of Marmara and some islands, than over some land to the Black Sea, and finally to Atatürk airport with a view on the Bosphorus.

As the captain had predicted, arrival was only 5 minutes late. Istanbul is a modern airport with all the facilities of an international airport. Only the delivery of visas on arrival is a little bit slow, and then you must queue again for passport control.

Two nice flights. A good experience, notwithstanding the high load factors.
Last edited by sn26567 on 11 May 2007, 22:55, edited 2 times in total.
André
ex Sabena #26567

sab319
Location: Mortsel, antwerp, Flanders, Belgium, Europe, Earth, Milky way

Post by sab319 »

nice report, I enjoyed reading it!

eurofighter

Post by eurofighter »

Thank you for this nice report. I haven't flown Swiss. Only the old Swissair which was usually quite nice. look forward to read your trip report for the Return flight.

AF332

Post by AF332 »

Indeed very nice report. For flights to Istanbul I prefer Turkish Airlines because they generally offer better food and inflight entertainment. But of course, Swiss is also a nice airline company.

The timetable of Turkish Airlines from Cologne or Dusseldorf is much better than from Brussels.

Philippe

Toaster

Post by Toaster »

Hi. Had the same trip on LX in September... I barely made the connection at ZRH but my baggage didn't, delivered to my hotel in IST a few hours afterwards. Great flight besides that - i paid 170 EUR all included! :-) Booked 4 months in advance... I loved the flight, I was however amazed at the age of F/As... most in their early 50s... Very nice nevertheless, not at all blasés or grumpy :-)

Robin_Bamps

Post by Robin_Bamps »

Thanks for sharing your nice report André ! Nice to read also that my colleagues at AP Cleaning did a nice job once again :wink:

Btw, LX1800 was operated by A320 HB-IJN.

Regards, Robin Bamps.

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Thanks to all for your comments. The cabin crew were not as old as Toaster mentions, but they certainly had some experience...
Robin_Bamps wrote:Btw, LX1800 was operated by A320 HB-IJN.
Thanks Robin. I could not read the registration in Zurich when embarking, and forgtot to check upon arrival.

I now just checked in by Internet for my return flights on LH, but bad luck: no more window seats available! Lucky to get an aisle instead of a window seat.
André
ex Sabena #26567

Avro

Post by Avro »

Thanks for the nice report André !! Looking forward to the LH comparison .

Chris

PlaneHunter

Post by PlaneHunter »

Interesting report! After having avoided LH for a while on longer European legs I'm curious to see how they compare to LX on a route such as IST-FRA.

PH
Nothing's worse than flying the same reg twice...

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

The report of my return trip with Lufthansa and the comparison between the two airlines is posted here:
ist-fra-bru-with-lh-on-12-may-2007-t21491.html
André
ex Sabena #26567