3 continents, 3 alliances,3 classes of service, Very long TR

Share your experiences about your latest flights: details and pictures are highly appreciated by our community. How do you rate airlines, in-flight meals, frequent flyer programs, etc... join this forum now!
nldogbert

3 continents, 3 alliances,3 classes of service, Very long TR

Post by nldogbert »

Hi,

Summary:
This trip was not really planned, but suddenly I found a good fare and two friends were interested to join me since we had all wanted to go halfway “down” the to the other side of the equator. It has also been a long wish for us to experience once those seen on tv New Year celebration in Australia. Well, so the whole trip was planned and only thing was waiting for the day to arrive. This trip will have me experiencing lots of first experience on different airlines and class of service and also airports.
Be warn that this will be a long TR and I have divided it into a few parts within this report.

23 Dec 2006
LH 4229
B737-500
CDG-FRA
Seat: 9F
Dept time: 1930

The night earlier, I had spent a night at the nearby Radisson SAS. I managed to grab a good rate due to their Christmas promotion that was nice, since it included breakfast and I could leave for the airport stress free. This was my first time departing from Terminal 1 of CDG. I have always known it as the round terminal and I knew mainly the Star Alliance carriers used it. During the ride to the terminal, I managed to see the Concorde on display. Sadly, I was not able to take the photo of it due to the rather foggy weather. We arrived a bit more than 3 hours before check-in. I had tried to do internet check-in the night before, but I could not and a call to the LH helpdesk did not bring any luck either, so we decided to go earlier and try and grab a good seat. After a bit of looking around for the check-in area, we found it and were greeted by a long line. They were lots of people flying out on this eve of eve of Christmas. While my friends stood in line, I tried again to check-in using the SS check-in machine, but it still did not want to accept any of my cards and passport. So, back to the line.
LH check-in area
Image Image
After about 30-40 mins in line, it was finally out turn. And what a shock when we were told that they could not find our e-ticket number in the system. We were asked to go to the ticketing desk to solve the problem out. Arriving at the ticketing desk, we managed to solve our problem, but actually on my problem were solved. We managed to skip the line and proceed directly to the next available agent to be told that they did not solve the ticketing problem with my other travel companion. Luckily a supervisor came over and managed to solve everything by calling the agent at the ticketing desk. Finally everything solved. I managed to get my bag tagged all the way to KUL even though I had separated itineraries from SIN to KUL. The check-in agent was also nice to put a priority tag on it due to the fact I was flying First on SQ to KUL. We proceeded directly to Satellite 6 where our flight would board. Getting to Sat. 6 was an adventure itself, I would say a very retro-futuristic terminal.
Escalators to the Satellite 6 area
Image Image Image
Image Image
I actually did not have any of those zip-lock bags with me thinking that they would still provide it complimentary. To my surprised at CDG, nothing was provided and I had to purchase one at a bookshop for 10 cents. How cheap can ADP be? Anyway, directly after the security check, we entered Sat.6 boarding area. There were several gates and seems that this was LH permanent boarding gates.

LH desk at Sat. 6
Image Image

I did not really like the area as there were nothing after security, no facilities whatsoever. After waiting for about 30 mins or so, our flight was called. We boarded through an airbridge. No priority boarding were made, so it was a free for all boarding.
Boarding gate and flight

Although we were separated, it was ok since I got my window seat. I was surprised to learn it was actually next to the emergency exit. So, I had lots of legroom. The flight was full and boarding was completed rather quickly. We departed on time. My first impression was good about the newly refurbished interior of the LH intra EU product. Nice seats and the FA’s were friendly.
This is my first time flying with LH and I had a good impression so far.

Safety card

LH Logo

Soon, we were taxing to the runway. I took a few snapshot (sorry for the bad quality)
Star Airlines (correct me if I am wrong, was too far to see the name)

They did the safety demonstration. We took off on time and we had a nice view of the terminals. After reaching our flight altitude, service started. Since it was during Christmas season, we had an extra Christmas cookie in the shape of a star.
Snack

Everything was free including alcoholic drinks. I just had a Cola light. Some shots of the cabin

After a flight time of about an hour, we begin our descent and landed in FRA on time.

23 Dec 2006
LH 778
B747-400
FRA-SIN
Seat: 39B
Dept time: 2205

After arriving at FRA, it was time to move from Terminal A to Terminal B. It was not too long a walk. Had to go through security check again. It was not too bad, as lines were not too long and we still had a bit less than one hour before boarding time. Made a visit to the Duty Free shops to get a couple of bottle of wines. From here to the gate B22 was not too far, but it was already crowded with people and most of them were already in the holding area. At this point, I was really thirsty and decided to scout around for a drinking fountain, but no such luck, in the end had to buy a drink from the nearest bar. Too bad they ran out of Spitzi, which can only be found in Germany. By the time I got back to the gate again, it was already more crowded than before and just within 10 mins, they started the boarding process. Boarding was done with those needing assistance and families with children. First and Business class passengers were called shortly for boarding followed by Gold members. They boarded the plane according to rows, starting from the back, but later it just became rather free for all. They used the first air bridge for F and C passengers. The rest went to the second trunk. Due to the earlier incident at CDG, the three of us were all separated, I was stuck in the middle of the row. Luckily, both my seatmates were average, with an English next to me, going down to Sydney and an Indian girl (I suspect she was from Canada, due to her accent). She was a weird one in the sense she was actually virtually sleeping nearly the whole flight from boarding until arriving, only waking up for food, and once or twice for the toilet. The rest of the time she was just like a log there, I was lucky that I could step out using the armrests without waking her. Anyway, back to the flight, on my way to the seat, I enquired with the FA if there was Connexion onboard, at first she looked at me weirdly, but later she said “Oh yes, we do have the internet connection in service”. Boarding was completed rather fast. I was rather surprised to see that there was a majority of Asian FA on this flight. They were all working in the Economy section. Here is a view of the seat back
View of the monitor

Doors were closed and the safety demonstration was carried out. It was done using those small monitors that I found rather difficult to see. Here is a shot of the Safety card and the menu cum info booklet of Singapore.

We proceeded to the runway and took-off into the nightsky of Germany. It was not too long of a climb considering a full flight. Soon, they announced about the availability of Connexion stressing that it was complimentary, although we still need to use our Credit card for security reasons. I took my laptop out and started registering for it. It was not too difficult, and the signal was rather good. Though one thing I did not like was that you had to relogin after every session and no two computers can use the same login even if the other is off. So, I had two different login, one for my laptop and the other for my Pocket PC. I did encounter some login problems when I had to relogin, but it was nothing serious.
Soon, they began with service. Headphones were handed out. We were all later given those paper towels that were semi-warm, but still better than nothing. First came a round of drinks with a packet of snack. Then dinner service started. I believe the choice was as usual, beef or chicken, I took the chicken which was not too bad. I did not take any photos this time, as I was actually rather tired and also very hungry. I was also a bit uncomfortable taking photos being in the middle of two strangers. I took a white wine, which was of course Riesling, and it was good. Had 2 glasses of it. Service was good and on my side I had this Thai FA serving us. He was really friendly and actually at this point, I was rather impressed with the service in Economy on LH. I have read numerous opinions on the service, and I thought that it would be mediocre, but it was better than I expected. After collection was done, I immediately tried to get some shuteye. I managed to sleep for about 5 hours and after that I decided not to sleep anymore since I wanted to adjust as fast as possible to the time change. I managed to climb out of my chair while my seatmates were sleeping without waking them to go to the toilet to freshen up a bit. I did a walk around the cabin to the last part of the cabin to check if my friends were sleeping. They were, so Managed to take a photo of the door to the crew sleeping area.

I decided to walk to the gallery in the middle of the aircraft. I stood there to look out the window. Soon, the FA came back from his rounds (they were making rather frequent rounds with liquids). I asked him what time would breakfast be served (weird since it was like midday at out destination) and he said in about another 1 ½ hours time. He asked if I wanted the cup noodles. I thought why not. While waiting for it, he invited me to seat down with him at the crew seat. We had a nice chat about how he ended up working for LH. In general, he was very happy with his working conditions with LH, much better than Asian airlines and especially with United, his former employee. It was a very interesting talk and he even introduced me to one of his friend traveling with him. She was just back from a vacation in Europe. Anyway, after finishing my noodles, and that small talk with him and his friend, I decided not to bother him anymore and went back to my seat. Managed to climb back into my seat without waking my seatmate. I took out my laptop again to surf, and luckily the battery was still rather full. I was listening also to some of the in-flight music selection and it was quite good. After browsing and chatting to some friends online, I decided to keep the laptop and save it for my other friends to enjoy the experience later. Watched the program on show and soon, it was time for breakfast.
The cabin stirred up and towels were again distributed. I think it was a nice move to do this. First a round of drinks were served. I believed they had only one choice, which was the sausage and eggs. It was not too bad, and since I was hungry again, I managed to finish all. Though I noticed that my seatmate, she was not really into it, after a few picks here and there, she just left it and went back to sleep. Again no photo of the breakfast. Soon, breakfast was cleared and it was around 1h15m to landing. The other guy at the window decided to go to the toilet, so this time, I had to wake the girl next to me and I took this opportunity to also visit my friends. Passed them my laptop and login details. I managed to grab a shot of the cabin inflight

Sadly since I was not near the window, they were shut nearly throughout the flight, as the guy next to me was trying also to get as much sleep as possible.. most probably to adjust to the time in Australia.
Soon, we were passing over Malaysia and we had another 30 mins before arriving in SIN. The crews were handing out landing cards and than they started to prepare the cabin for arrival. I did take this opportunity to ask the Thai FA if by any good luck chance I can visit the cockpit after the flight, but sadly I was told that it would not be possible. I did not want to push him into asking so I just said thanks. The last part of the journey was rather bumpy due to the thunderstorm.
We arrived at a very wet Changi airport.
Image Image

We landed on time and deboarding was rather quick. We left through the 2nd door. It was really weird to be hit by the humidity and later again the air condition. Anyway, waited outside the gate for my other friends. I had to get out with my friends since I was going to take one of their bags with me to KUL. I also wanted to experience the first class check-in room at SIN. So, we proceeded to immigration and bags were actually already on the belt. It was a very short wait and I could see that here Priority tags do mean something at last. After going out and repacking the bags, we proceeded to Departure. I passed by the normal First-class check-in counter, but went pass that to the First-class check in room.

24 Dec 2006
SQ 118
B777-200 Jubilee
SIN-KUL
Seat: 14K
Dept time: 2000

I arrived and was immediately greeted by two of the ground staff. They asked if I was traveling First and gave them my passport. My bags were immediately taken off my hands at that point and I was asked to wait at the lounge and everything was done for me. She came back later to ask if I would like a window or aisle. I said window. Later she came back to me with my passport and boarding pass, and explained everything to me, but only problem was that she gave me an aisle seat. I pointed this and she was apologetic and immediately went back to correct it. She came back again with the boarding pass with a window seat and advised me that my other luggage from FRA was confirmed to fly with me to KUL.
First-class check-in room at SIN
Interior of the check-in room
After that I said my goodbyes to my friends and I went again through passport control. I had some problems locating the lounge, but after asking at one of the service desk, I found my way there. I was directed to the First class lounge. I enquired directly at the desk if I could use the shower, and I was told that I was free to use any one and there was no need to make any booking. Some photos from the shower room
I would say that the shower room was rather small and actually outdated. Though amenities were of Bvalgari, which is normal for First. They provided also some much better quality toothbrushes compared to Raffles class. After the nice shower, when I wanted to deposit my towels into the rattan baskets provided outside of the stall, I was forbidden to do so by the shower attendant, looks like First class passengers are not allowed to do “dirty” their hands. I just obeyed him and he just opened the cover of it and dropped it in for me. Next I went to the customer service area to order my “book the cook” meal for my flight to Sydney. However, service was not up to standard that day as I was kept waiting for more 15 mins and still not able to get any confirmation. In the end, I told the service agent to forget about it and I will do it myself. I was actually rather disappointed with the service. I know it was Christmas eve, but for such a thing, she could have easily found some easier way to do it. I went into the lounge passing through the bar area and the dining area. I decided to sit at the dining area. I went to the buffet area and they had some nice spread, including some Christmas traditional dishes such as roast turkey, potatoes and salads. They had also some really nice starters such as fried scallops, which tasted splendid. There was the famous satays which was was great. I had a really good meal. The lounge was not crowded.
Aquarium with the buffet area behind
After finishing my meal, I went to find a spot where I could use my computer and make some calls. It was great to learn that they had free wireless in the lounge too. Connection and signal was very good. Here are some shots of the lounge area
After finishing what I needed to do, I went to the bar area. I was thinking if I should get something from the bar, but in the end I decided not too. I grabbed some newspaper and was surprised they had some Dutch ones too. I had a nice port while reading the papers. After about an hour lounging around, I noticed that it was 30 mins to boarding time. I left the lounge and headed towards the gate. It was not too far to the gate. Went through security and entered the departure hall area. Soon, we heard that our flight out be delayed by another 15 mins due to late arrival of the aircraft. It did not matter to me. I noticed that the plane today had mostly Asians with just a handful of Caucasians traveling with this very prominent Dutch family traveling too with their kids. They just went to one corner of the hall and sat on the ground playing with their kids, with one of them running round. The mother was trying to control the kid by just sitting there shouting to the kid in Dutch. Anyhow it was not too loud that they bothered anyone. Soon, boarding was called with passengers needing assistance, family with children and First and PPS members to board first I boarded and this was done through two bridge, the first for First class and the second for economy. Flights between KUL and SIN consists only of either First or economy with no first. Just last year, it used to be a small difference in fare between both, but this year, I was a bit surprised that the difference was significant, but I still not too big a difference to deter me from flying First. At the door, I was greeted warmly by name by the leading stewardess. I was surprised to see the Spacebed. The interior was decorated in a festive mood.
Soon, the rest of the passengers in First started to board. I was offered a pre-flight drink and a second FA came and offered me some reading materials. It was raining outside, some snapshots of the gates
Soon, warm towels were distributed. The First cabin was not very full. I did ask about the aircraft in use and was told that they do have some last minute swap and this includes using the Spacebed configured aircraft. I did take this opportunity to play around with the seat
Some other features of the seat
Image Image
It was a good introduction for me since in about a weeks time I will be in the same seat on my overnight flight to Sydney. It did feel comfortable in the seating position and rather spacious. I did doubt the pitch, which looked rather cramped when the seat was in the angled position.
Anyway, after the safety video and apology from the captain on the delay, we thundered off into the night sky of Singapore. Our route today would be rather straightforward towards Kuala Lumpur. Flight time would be a mere 30 mins. Directly after take-off, the chime came for the FA to get into action. Immediately, they asked every passenger if they would like a light meal. I ordered the chicken salad with cheese. My table was laid and prepared. Soon, my meal arrived.
I asked if they had ice tea, and at first they said no, but when she came back, she asked me how I would like it, told her sweet. She did come back with the ice tea, but it was not really what I was hoping for.
Anyway, I just drank it, which was not too bad, but not too great. Well, due to the short flight time, they cleared the meals as soon as they noticed that the passenger had finished. They offered another round of hot towel. Soon, we began our descent into the nightline of KLIA. We landed with a delay of about 20 mins, which was not too bad. The airport was rather empty at this hour with on Malaysia airlines aircraft and just a couple of foreign ones. We parked next to a couple of Japan Airlines.
Leaving the aircraft, we had to leave through one door. Passengers in economy were held back and we were warmly wished when leaving. I proceeded directly to the aerotrain. Passed through a very empty passport control area and into the baggage reclaim area. My bags were one of the very first to arrive and I was out of the terminal in less than 20 mins from stepping out of the plane. Over all, it was not bad of a flight, but I thought compared to my last time in First with Malaysian Airlines on the same route, MH did a better job compared to SQ. Food offering was better and the FA’s were much more natural in their service.

nldogbert

Part Deux

Post by nldogbert »

29 Dec 2006
KL809
B747-400 Combi
KUL-CGK
Seat: 72A (Upper deck)
Dept time: 1640

Arrived at the airport about 2 ½ hours before the flight. At this point, I was the only one flying to CGK while my other two friends were flying directly down to SIN with SQ connecting to the flight to SYD later that evening (or should I say beginning of the next day). I did not want to check my bag to CGK since I would have to claim it and I did not feel like going out of the secured area. So, I first checked in with my friends at SQ. I asked them if it was possible to check-in at the transit desk in CGK for my SQ flight. They asked me why, I told them my “detour” with KLM. They just looked at me stunned but confirmed that I could do that. I checked in my bags with my friends and I requested all to be priority tagged so when I arrived in SYD we could all get our bags at the same time. This was done without any problem. All got tagged with the Raffles class Priority tag. Next I proceeded to the KLM check-in. Here is a shot of it

I was surprised when arriving at the desk, I was greeted by name. I asked the lady if I was the only passenger joining in business class, but she said no. Anyway, I never found out how she knew it was me. Well, I was checked in and obtained the seat I had reserved earlier within the opening time period. What was really nice, was that they had also this information sheet. From here all details of the flight were listed:
Pilot in Command: De Boer, Jaap
In flight purser: Van Rijn, Saskia
Departure gate: C03
Flying time: Approximately 01 h 40 mins
Arrival time (local): 1735 h
There were other important information such as boarding time, gate closing time, etc.. and a reminder that Malaysia Airlines were their ground handling agent. After obtaining my boarding pass (which was on MH stock), I enquire if I could take this sheet of info along, and she said no as it was the only copy she had. I asked again in a really nice way, and in the end reluctantly she agreed and I went away happily. I was also given a lounge access card to the Plaza Premium lounge. Here’s a few more shots of the check-in departure area of KLIA
Image Image

After that we proceeded together to the immigration counters and it was empty. Actually the whole airport was rather empty and you could just feel the vast amount of space. Passing passport control, I was surprised to see that they had this exhibition of model planes. I took a few shots of it including the model A380 of MH and also the FedEx scheme.
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image

We proceeded directly to the Aerotrain passing one part of the forest in the airport concept

Aerotrain terminal
Image Image

View of the interior of the Aerotrain

While we went to the C-satellite terminal, we passed through some nice planes
Myanmar airways MD-80
Image Image
A partly hidden Royal Brunei

My KLM flight to CGK just landed

After arriving at the Satellite terminal, we got down and at this point, I parted with my friends since they wanted to explore the terminal and I just wanted to get to the lounge for a shower. We made arrangements to meet at the gate in SIN later that evening. I went to the lounge which was located on the 1st floor. Entrance to the lounge (notice the KLM FA)

View of the duty-free area

Interior of the lounge

As I entered, I asked directly if there were shower facilities. I was told that there was and it was free now. I went directly to the shower. It was not in the best condition, but not the worst. Water pressure was ok, with an external water heater system. There was shower gel cum shampoo, but I used my owned. Towel was provided. It was a nice shower after the humidity. I proceeded to the lounge area and gosh, it was rather crowded. I did notice that most of them were the KLM passengers, both transit and new ones. The food on offer was ok, but I did not take much except for the rice congee which was good. They also had 3 computer terminals but only 2 were working. I used one of them but the speed was rather slow. This could be due to the after effect of the earthquake in Taiwan a day or 2 ago which affected the underwater cables. Anyway, I did not have much to do anyway, so I went to relax. I managed to snap a shot of the main terminal
and the Aerotrain
The lounge was divided actually into a few sections, they had a smoking section. I did not explore the other sections. I did noticed some nice inflight magazines of other airlines, and because I wanted to be polite, I went to ask the lounge attendant if I could take these in flight magazines but was given a negative. I just followed orders and did not take any. They also had local calls for free, but only to landlines, so no mobile calls. Anyway, 20 mins to boarding time, I decided to leave the lounge to go to the gate since I knew it was still another 10 mins slow walking to it. To my surprise, when I arrived at the gate, they were actually nearly complete with boarding. Managed to get a few shots of the plane, City of Seoul
Image Image
They were using again 2 bridges. I entered through the first one,
and was greeted by a FA at the door.
However, it would have been easier going though the 2nd one. Anyway, noticed that lower deck business was not too full, but passing through first part of economy and looking behind, it was nearly packed. I climbed the stairs to the upper deck with the passengers in economy following my footsteps, rather weird. Anyway, arrived on the upper deck and another FA was there to greet me. I noticed that I was actually the first to be on the Upper deck. Soon more passengers arrived and it was about 50 % full. I was later offered a pre-flight beverage and took a jus d’orange.

We were offered magazines and newspaper, but I took none.
Here is a view of the cabin
View of the IFE controls
As you see it was the old seat, but still rather comfortable.
Monitor with Christmas greetings
Image Image
Legroom

View of airbridge from upperdeck

Side storage and seat controls
Soon, gate was closed and we started up the engine. Leaving the gate
The safety video was shown and the usual announcement by the Captain and the purser were made. Sitting at the nose, you could feel the tug unhooking. It was rather weird. Anyway, we started taxing to the runway. On the way I managed a few shots of some MH, Air Asia and the CX flight to HKG.
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image

Some view of the airport
Image Image
I tried looking out for the SQ flight that my friends were on, but I could not see it due to it being on the other side of the terminal. We had a rather long taxi to the runway. Take-off was fast and powerful.
Managed to snap a few shots of the F1 circuit Sepang
ImageSoon, I could see the coastline of the country
Image Image
I took a rather bad shot of my seat from the other side of the plane
Flight position
Soon after, menu’s were distributed and we were offered peanuts and our choice of drinks. I took a red wine with the nuts

I quite like it that the nuts were served in a bowl and still rather warm.
I later took out my private monitor
After about 10 mins or so, the FA returned to asked about our selection for the early dinner. I asked for the Beef rendang, and he looked at me weirdly and said that it was not available. I pointed it out from the menu and we realized that it was not actually the correct menu. He later came back with the correct menu and this time I took the Kapitain Chicken. The food was served in a tray, but brought individually to us. Our cabin was served by one sole male FA doing everything. I again asked for a red wine. Here is a shot of the meal

The meal was good, I especially liked the salad served with it as it had a really nice balsamic vinegar to go with it. The chicken was also good as it was not too spicy. I managed to finish nearly everything on the tray. They also had these cute plastic like salt and pepper set which I accidentally dropped into my pockets.
I was asked if I wanted a cup of tea which I choose the Rooibos
The meal was cleared and was offered digestive, which I opted for a baileys. I was given a rather generous amount of it.

As you can see, it also had a shot of my Delftse blauw house. Pity, that was the house I left behind on the plane. I chose it because it was so cute. Though I did take the chance to write to KLM to ask if they could retrieve or did anyone find it, I was told no, but they were good enough to give me another surprise. Back to the flight, I later took a tour around the upper deck and lower deck. Here is a shot of the stairs and the upper deck with the FA serving us.
Image Image
View of lower deck from upper deck
I walked to the back of the plane and took these shots
Image Image

Emergency exit with KLM and SkyTeam logo

After I went back up, I asked the FA if he had any Dutch newspaper, and he said yes, though they were secretly hidden behind the magazine rack. It was from the day before, but what could you expect. Went back to my seat and reclined the seat and enjoyed the papers and the rest. Soon, it was nearly time to land. The cabin was prepared for landing. We were flying soon along the coast of Java
Image Image
And flew over some ricefield
Weather was not that good as it was raining. We landed shortly at Soekarno-Hatta Indonesia airport
Image Image
On the monitor, they had the goodbye with some traditional Indonesian house as a backdrop
A shot of the cabin during disembarkation
I had a small chat with the FA while disembarkation and he told me that he was flying back to KL and only return to AMS on New Year’s. Interesting to know that they do this a round trip before heading back to AMS.
We entered a nice connection hallway to the terminal
A welcome sign
It was rather a long walk to the baggage claim area, but since I did not want to go through passport control, I enquired at the transit desk if I could check-in for my SQ flight. I was first directed to go up the escalators to proceed to the next terminal, and later, the security check people realized I had just walked by, they told me to return back down and asked me where I was going. I explained to them what I was told to do and we went back to the transit desk which was actually just opposite them and they told them that I needed an escort. So, they paged for an escort which was busy still with some passengers from the KLM flight. I waited for about 20 mins before she returned to ask me for the details and left again. During this time, I noticed that there were lots of passengers from the KLM flight still at the Visa on Arrival counter. Soon, she returned with another guy who escorted me to the next terminal. Since I had to check-in within the transit area, I did not need to pay the departure tax, but for that they needed the original copy of my boarding pass. I asked why and he mentioned that they need to claim it back from KLM. Weird, but nevermind. I asked him to make a copy of it just in case I needed it for reference. I had to wait again on the departure level just after passport control, while this guy leaves to get my boarding pass. He took my passport with him and the boarding pass. I waited about 15 mins before he returned and when I asked him for the copy of my boarding pass, he had to again go back outside to make one, so another 10 mins wait. He than proceeded to give me all my boarding cards and lounge invitation for my SQ segment to SIN and to SYD. I managed to get all the seats I had reserved while making the booking. It was an award booking through Lufthansa. Here is a shot of the D-terminal departure area

29 Dec 2006
SQ 167
B777-200
CGK-SIN
Seat: 12A
Dept time: 2015

I walked to the lounge and along the way took some shots of the duty-free area
Image Image
SQ uses the Esplanade lounge in CGK.
Lounge invitation card
View of the lounge Entrance.
SQ invitation sign
Buffet area
Decorations around the lounge
Computer area
Magazine offering
Windows
View of the wet weather outside
Snapshot of the Emirates which just arrived
Well, I was happy with the lounge. It was quite a good lounge with tasteful decorations. Food offering was also good, but I again just took small snacks due to all the continuous eating from KUL. It was nice with the windows and the space. Computer area was nice with free printing facilities and local calls. It was not too crowded and was rather peaceful.
After spending an hour or so in the lounge, I decided to leave and walk around the airport. I was actually surprised how well maintained the place was since my last visit more than 10 years ago. It was like time stood still there. Here are some shots of the airport
I arrived at the departure gate and went through security check. They had a separate area for first, business and priority boarding passengers, but I think it did not make any difference.
I managed to grab a rather bad view of a white Garuda Indonesia
View of the SQ plane
View of departure lounge area
Anyway, soon it was time to board. They began boarding with priority boarding and they did implement it. Boarding was done with two bridges. I entered the first one to pass through the First class section. It was a regional plane with the regional first and raffles class seats. At the door, I was warmly greeted by name as I entered. I think they did look weirdly at me because I was dressed really casually in shorts and t-shirts. But I did not care since it was so hot and humid out there. Here are a few shots of the various parts of the cabin and seat features
Anyway, soon, we were offered our pre-flight drink. I enquired if I could have the Singapore sling as my drink and I was told that it would take a couple of minutes for it. The menu was already in the seat pocket and it had some good choice. I was actually very full at this stage, but decided to try the Phad thai, a sort of stir fried rice noodles. Towels were handed out. It was nice and warm, not too hot.
I received my Singapore Sling
The flight was rather full in Raffles and I noticed economy was also rather full. Lots of passengers in Raffles were connecting from the conversations I overhead around me. I was lucky that the seat next to me was free. Anyway, they had the safety demonstration and soon, the cabin was prepared for departure. It was still raining a bit outside. We had a powerful take-off on the 777.
Soon, after take-off, service started immediately due to the short flight of around 1h10 mins. We were told to expect some turbulence due to the bad weather.. but should be ok as we reach Singapore. Soon, they came around asking for our orders, it was done again by them bringing the food u want to you. They set up my table and I made my order. Here is a view of the meal
Soon the famous garlic bread came and it was great
However, I was disappointed with the Phad thai. It was just not tasteful and blend. I just had a few bites and that was it. I finished everything else and was bursting at this point. I asked for a Baileys and it was served also generously. Soon, before I knew it, we were just 20 mins from SIN and they collected everything.
Flight position
Soon, we landed in SIN and it was full of SIA planes.
We were thanked warmly before leaving the aircraft and I proceeded to the Silver Kris lounge.

30 Dec 2006
SQ231
B747-400 Megatop
SIN-SYD
Seat: 17K
Dept time: 0020

I went directly to the shower area to take a last shower before the long flight. I know that at this stage I have taken already a few showers, but with all the walking through the terminals, I was sweating actually a bit. Well, after a nice shower, I went to have a look at the buffet area, and saw that there was nothing really that interesting. I had a bowl of soup which I believe was some vegetable soup, some savories and some small finger food. I went more for the fruits later on. I was at this point very full and I was actually thinking how I was going to have the late supper again later on the flight. So, after those I just stopped eating. After that I checked my emails and did some browsing. Here are some shots of the Raffles lounge

I left the lounge about 45 mins before scheduled departure time as I wanted to meet up with my friends at the departure hall. I arrived at the gate to see it packed with passengers. Security lines were not too long so I was quite fast screened and was met up with my friends. We exchanged some experienced and soon they started the boarding process. They had the same boarding procedure again, though this time, they did have the First class passengers called first before anyone else, followed by Raffles and those needing assistance and family with children. I left my friends and boarded again through the first bridge.
I was again warmly greeted by the leading FA by name and directed to the first cabin of the Raffles class before being greeted by another FA at the bottom of the stairs. At the top of the stairs, I was again greeted by two FA with their leading steward.
A quick shot of the cabin
I managed to grab a seat this time at the emergency exit, so I had the extra space. Here are some views during the boarding process at the upper deck
View from my window
Our departure gate
A view of the space and magazine trolley
Some of the seat features
Leg space
In flat position
Soon, boarding was complete and for this flight, the upperdeck was not too full, I had the seat next to me empty, which was nice. I did notice that there was a Spanish family with 3 teenage kids joining the flight. I was just thinking how lucky they are at this age flying Business. They were well behaved, but it did looked like they are used to traveling in style for some time as again, everything looked normal to them. The son even asked for a glass of champagne. Soon, the small overnight amenity pouch with inflight socks and eye mask was distributed. I do think it is rather sad that SQ has dropped to this standard especially for their business class product. I would have been rather irritated to have paid so much to get that pathetic amenity kit. Anyway, I guess they can do what they want as long as people are still willing to pay to fly on their front cabins. The safety video was shown and after that the FA proceeded to do her rounds asking for post-take off drinks and if what sort of eating schedule we would like. I opted to have my lobster termidor (reconfirmed earlier after boarding) as my “breakfast” before landing in Sydney.
Before she could complete the process, the announcement for take-off came on and everyone took their seat. We had a rather long take-off roll before rotating. I guess it must have been rather full with cargo. Anyway, soon after take-off, the FA continued with her round and I got my post-flight drink (a Singapore Sling) and I proceeded to prepared for bed. I noticed that most of the passengers opted for the same. I turned my bed into the flat position with some angle to avoid the slipping down feeling and it was comfortable. It was also nice to have two pillows to myself. Even though the cabin lights were not really dimmed at that time, I drifted off to sleep. I had a rather good sleep with just once or twice waking up to find a bottle of water next to my seat. I think I managed to sleep about 5-6 hours before being awaken by the FA. It was about 2 hours before landing, which I think they could have waited a bit longer. She did try after that to wake that Spanish teenage guy, but he told her he did not want anything and just went back to bed (slept until nearly landing). I made my way to freshen up and had a peek outside.
Soon, I received my “breakfast”
Main meal: lobster termindor from Book the Cook
Truthfully, I was not very impressed with the meal. It was rather too wet and I thought that the presentation was rather bad for such a meal. I understand it is lobster, but I thought more effort could have been made to make it look more appetizing. Anyway, I did finish all the lobster, but the yellow rice, I did not finish it all. It was an ok meal, though was a bit disappointed actually. I requested for a cup of green tea. The cabin was actually still dimmed, although quite a number was already enjoying their meal.
I had wanted to open the shades, but since there were still some passengers sleeping, I just left it shut. After finishing the meal, there was still about an hour to landing. I decided to visit my friends back down the plane. I met with the leading FA and asked if I could take some photos here and there. He said sure and that was what I did, although when I arrived down the stairs, another leading FA saw me taking photos and did question me, but I told him that I got the permission from the leading FA on the upperdeck. He was actually not very happy with that, but nothing could be done. Here are some shots of the stairs
I made my way to the economy cabin and found my friends. Talked to them and managed to get this shot from the seat
Economy looked completely full today
Strange to see the economy class all bright while in Raffles it was still dimmed.
Anyway, due to the heavy cabin activity due to everyone going to freshen up, I decided to go back to my cabin. When I arrived upstairs, the leading FA approached me to ask me how it was and he told me that the other FA was not really that happy about me taking photos. But he said that he understood due to security reasons. Anyway, I went back to my seat and rested a bit more before it was time to land.
Soon, everyone in the cabin were forced to wake up and the cabin was bright again. The restrooms were rather busy. Soon, we were flying over the suburbs of Sydney,
I asked a passing FA if he knew which side we would be landing and he did not know. Later the leading FA sat across me in his seat and told me that the skyline of Sydney would be to my left, so I missed out on that. We did have some nice chat, about his flying and his working life with SQ.
We landed next to the bay and had to taxi to the end before returning on the other side towards the terminal
Some views of the airport
So, there we are in Australia. I was again given a warm farewell before desending the stairs and all the FA actually remembered my name. I said my goodbyes and thank you’s before leaving the upperdeck. Another warm farewell was given at the door with the passengers in economy held back. I arrived at a nearly empty passport control area and was through within minutes. Though even after that, they had some officers waiting directly after that to pick out some unlucky ones for more questioning, no brainer why they do such things. Answered all their questions as boringly as they came. My bags were among the first to come out. Though sadly this time, no chance to hurry out as I had to wait for my friends, which took them really long. After nearly the whole flight had cleared passport, they managed to get through. At this time, flights from LAX and SFO had also arrived, so it was rather busy.
Well, all in all, not too bad a flight, though not overly impress by the highly praised Raffles class of SQ. If I had to pay for it, I think I will actually choose another airline, even my friends were not overly impressed with the service in economy, they also found the service to be mediocre. So, there goes SQ as what I thought as one of the best service out there. I think now CX is above on my list and actually I think AF is also one up there.
We stayed at the Holiday Inn Old Sydney, which was a perfect location and great staff. Some shots of the lobby

nldogbert

Part III

Post by nldogbert »

04 Jan 2007
QF 2793
Qantaslink operated by Eastern Australia Airlines
Dash 8 100/200
NTL-MEL
Seat: 6A
Dept time: 0645

After visiting the Hunter Valley and staying at the newly opened Crowne Plaza, we drove up to Newcastle. Some photos of the hotel in Hunter Valley.
It was a nice hotel, very new and really friendly staff. Close to all the winecellars.
We departed out hotel in Newcastle and drove through some unique landscape of Australia, some marshlands. Too bad we did not have the time to visit these marshlands during our visit. The airport was located rather far from the city of Newcastle itself and driving there in this early morning was rather nice, seeing the sunrise over the sea and the city waking up. We arrived just about one hour before flight time. It was a very small airport. I deposited my friends at the departure area since I missed the first time the turnoff to return our rented car. After that I returned the car and walked back to the airport passing though some nice open view of some planes on the tarmac. Jetstar was there boarding passengers to Melbourne Avalon airport and another one to Brisbane I believe. Here are some shots of the actions on the tarmac this early morning
I entered the departure hall and check-in area. Met up with my friends and we went to the check-in desk to drop our bags and collect our boarding passes since we did not have a printer when we did online check-in. View of the check-in area
After that, we grabbed something to eat at the café which was just opening, it was not too bad pricewise.
Most of the shops were located before security. After that we went directly through security into the departure hall. It was rather empty, and they were calling some of the last passengers for the Jetstar flight. Here is a snapshot of our aircraft to Melbourne Tullamarie airport.
I noticed also some really nice “slogans” from Virgin Blue
I actually did not really feel easy taking these snapshots, since people tend to stare at me while doing this and not knowing how security is in Australia, I did not take much.
Soon, it was time to board and we had to walk to the plane. Here is a shot while boarding of our aircraft.
We were greeted by a FA at the door. He turned out to be the sole FA on this flight, weird compared to having at least 2 on the KLM Cityhopper for the short 20 mins flight from AMS-BRU.
A shot of the tied-up propeller
Soon, boarding was complete and a safety demonstration was done with him doing the talking and action in sequence. The flight was rather full for this early morning departure. This was my first trip on Qantas, and so far it was good. OneWorld members were welcomed with information about the flight.
I managed to snap a shot of a MD-80 of Jetstar in the hangar
Soon, propellers were started to full power and we made our way to the active runway and took off. View of the marshlands
Some cabin views
Some passing landscapes, coast and interior
Image Image
Soon, it was time for breakfast. I was expecting some small bread or snack. But I was surprised that we had a rather nice one
After that, I managed to get a short shut eye. We did not experience any turbulence during the whole flight. Though I think after half hour, I woke up again and we still had about 45 mins to go. I tried to sleep again, but it was not possible, so I had a look at the Qantas Life magazine. It was quite an interesting read. Time passed and the cabin was prepared for landing. I managed to get a few snapshots
Shadow of our plane over the dry landscape
Nearing the city and some nice skyline view of Melbourne
We did a rather sharp turn before we began to really come close to the ground. Landing at MEL
We landed on time and taxied to the terminal. We had to again walk back to the main building. Took some shots in this free view area
Some Qantas jets parking near us
Interior view of the main domestic terminal
Saw some flights including the SQ from Singapore
We claimed our bags and proceeded to the departure hall to get the bus to the city center.

09 Jan 2007
QF 462
B767-300
MEL-SYD
Seat: 35K
Dept time: 1900
After a few days in MEL and driving the Great Ocean Road, it was our last day in Melbourne. We had a full day and made some last minute shopping and eating before leaving back to Sydney since this was our last day’s in Australia. Our shuttle bus arrived on time and we left to the airport with a few stops to pick up some other passengers. We arrived rather early, about 2.5 hours before departure time. Since I purchased my ticket on the AA website, I did not know why even the SS machines did not want to accept my passport, credit card or FF card. I was asked to approach a counter for assistance. The customer service agent was also surprised about it, and he thought that I did not know how to spell my name as it was different from what AA inputed into their system. Anyway, everything was in order and we all obtained our boarding pass. I had wanted to upgrade to Business class, but when enquired about it, I was told that they do not have such service and if I wanted I would need to dispose of my current ticket and purchase a whole new one. I feel this is silly as it seems that they do not want to make money on selling those seats. My first bad impression of Qantas. View of the Jetstar check-in area
After that, we tried looking for the restrooms to find that we had to actually go down to the arrival hall for that. Is that logical? No. We still went since we needed it badly. Proceeded back up to departure and went into the departure lounge, view
After that, we did a bit of spotting and saw some nice aircraft around, particularly a QF 767 named the City of Orange
With the FO waving later at us
A 737 parked next to the City of Orange
I walked to the other side of the terminal and saw another few nice ones
Was lucky enough to see the soon to leave B747-300 preparing for Perth
Another few more shots from the area
I returned to the other side of the terminal where our flight was going to board. Passed through the Qantas Club
And some nice Jetstar boarding gates
Managed to get a shot across at the international terminal of this Jetstar A330
Soon, we came to out gate
And what were they doing, they were changing the nose wheel
They were also preparing the plane at that time
After the repairs
A passing FA
about 20 mins before departure, they called for boarding. They had no special boarding for business or OneWorld elite members, just only for family with children and passengers in need of assistance had priority boarding. Soon, it was free for all. They were using only one aerobridge and was greeted at the door
Some views of the economy cabin
Boarding was completed rather fast, and todays flight the load was moderate. Doors were closed and we were pushed back. Took some shots of the action around us
The Austrian Airlines flight back to SIN
Soon, the safety procedure was shown on video and manually. Reading materials inflight
We proceeded out to the active runway had a short take off roll.
Passing the fire training aircraft
Taking off with views of the bush fires
We soon reached cruising altitude and started serving. I was surprised that we got a warm meal on this flight, that is hardly comparable to what we get on European flights or even worst on US domestic flights these days. We had a warm fettuccini meatball pasta.
Small, but better than nothing. They were even serving alcoholic drinks. At the gate during boarding, we could collect the free headsets. After the meal, I listened to some music on the simple but working entertainment system. It was good enough to pass time. Had a shot of this QF passing us
Soon, it was announced that we would soon be landing, and the cabin was prepared for landing. We landed on time in a nice cool evening in Sydney. This time we did ask for the landing direction and was told. So we had enough time to move to some of the available window seats on the left side of the aircraft. Too bad we did not fly over the Opera House, but it was better than nothing.
Emirates just landed earlier
A QF 747
Beautiful sunset
Spirit of Australia and the Sydney Tower
While deplaning, took a quick shot of the regional business class seat
Was again warmly greeted farewell at the door. We made it into the domestic terminal
and they had this exhibition, the Qantas Heritage, which was great, too bad it was closed at that time

After that, we proceeded to the baggage claim area. They had a nice old timer on display
While my friends collected the bags, I went to look for the car rental pick up area. We left the airport and arrived at the hotel about 35 mins later for our last night in Australia.

10 Jan 2007
SQ 220
B747-400 Megatop
SYD-SIN
Seat: 14A
Dept time: 0830

We left the hotel near Kings Cross area and arrived at SYD international about 1.5 hours before departure. I had actually wanted to leave earlier, but since my other two friends did not want to cause we had already check-in online and wanted to sleep a bit longer. After returning the car (driven less than 30 km), we went directly to the check-in area. Economy was crowded. Raffles was not that full, though in front of me, there was this family traveling with really tons of bags. Luckily about 3 counters were opened for Raffles. First had 1 desk with just one person. I asked at the desk if my friends could check-in together with me since I was traveling Raffles, and the nice lady had no problems with it. We had a special request to check one bag only to Singapore as we wanted to leave it at the hotel there to be stored before our stay there. Luckily she was ok with it, though she had to uncheck me from the system in order to print such a luggage tag. I was fine with, collecting my SIN-CGK card only in SIN. All luggage were given a Priority tag. Very friendly of her to do that. It was such a relief not to be in the Economy line, since both check-in and bag drop lines were very long. Went walking round the departure terminal and taking a few snapshots.
Took a shot of the United 747
I went with my friends to the boarding area of gate 59. I left them later and proceeded to the Silver Kris Lounge
Entrance
I was greeted warmly by the lounge attendant. She directed me into the Raffles section. The first room you approach is the computer/business area. I went in there first to check-in for my KLM flight from CGK to KUL
After that I went to the main area. It was actually rather small and was already crowded at this time.
I left my things and went to see what was on offer for breakfast. Nothing much, so I ended up eating the cup noodles.
Later, I had some shots of my aircraft to SIN and the Virgin Atlantic to HKG
I actually had some good view of the tarmac and runways from the lounge. Some of the actions this morning and a company aircraft back to SIN later in the afternoon
About 30 mins to departure, I went back to the gate. Next to the SKL lounge is the Air New Zealand lounge, which I did not have time to explore
I was actually surprised that boarding did not start yet. Anyway, did see the Emirates crew arriving for the flight to Auckland
Boarding started shortly, and again First, Business, families with children, passengers needing assistance and Star Gold members were given priority boarding. This was followed by economy passengers. The boarding area was rather small, so it was not so easy to implement priority boarding. Anyway, I proceeded to board and again two bridges were used. This time I went to the second one so I could directly be at the stairs. I was again greeted warmly by name at the door. Went up to a nearly empty Raffles cabin. This time I was not lucky to grab the seat at the exit. Already the FA was there with the drinks on hand
Immediately another FA came to ask if I needed help to store my luggage. After I settled down, I was served a pre-flight drink
I took the OJ since it was so early.
View of the cabin with the FA’s and leading steward
I was offered some magazines and newspaper.
Some of the seat features and cabin
The cabin started to fill up and I had a seat mate. The cabin this time was full with all seats filled and doors closed. As normal, hot towels were handed out, with the menu and confirmation of meals including the book the cook option. The safety video was shown and the flight time was announced to be about 7 hours. During the taxiing to the active runway, there were some interesting shots taken
BA and Atlas
Star Alliance terminal
UA
SQ company aircraft back to SIN and Emirates
Weird to see two SQ flights in SYD early this morning
An unidentified plane
Air Tahiti Nui
A LAN Chile
A JAL just arriving
Some other actions this morning especially some QF
During our taxi to the runway, a CX A330 was following us, here are some sequence of it
We soon reached our runway for take off, just a wonder how much you see when sitting on the upper deck
Take-off views
Olympic stadium
As usual, after the sign came on for the FA to get to work, they did so immediately. They first distributed the amenity kit. This morning flight would consist of two meals, breakfast and lunch. They started off with breakfast. There were some choices, but the one I remembered was either the normal eggs and sausage or the Chinese option of Dim Sum. Sorry, no photos here as I totally forgot about it. I choose the Dim Sum. Tables were laid and the first course was fruit.
This was followed later by the main course. Service was ok, though it was a bit lacking I thought. First when I requested for a cup of Green Tea, they did not bring that until a I had finished my fruits. Secondly, I noticed that they had some confusion over who ordered which meal. When my Dim Sum arrived, they had no sauce to offer with it. I tried getting the attention of the FA, but she was so busy and super fast that she missed me trying to get her attention. I noticed that my neighbors also had the same meal and they too did not manage to get her attention. Anyway, seems that she did realize later that she forgotten to bring the chili sauce with it. Well, when it arrived, I was already finished, but my neighbors were lucky and still managed to have the last few they had with the sauce. As for the quantity size, I thought it was rather stingy, only 4 pieces if I remembered well. For those who know what Dim Sum is, they would understand. (It is actually something like ravioli, but steamed.). Also the skin was rather dry, but I still ate it since I was not really full from the small meal I had in the lounge. Well, all in all, I thought that the breakfast service (quality and quantity wise) to be somewhat below par. Even for my second cup of tea I requested, it took them a while before they came back to me. One thing though, was that the FA on this flight seems a bit more cheerful compared to my outbound flight. The inflight supervisor was very professional, which I think he actually saved lots of situation. I did notice that he was giving lots of advise to the FA especially during their occasional visits to the cockpit. I saw that this procedure of the cockpit visit was very well performed, making sure that no one was in the restrooms during that time and if there was, they made sure that the cockpit door was closed before they could exit or use the restroom. It was obvious that they were very vigilant with this.
After the meal, I decided to have a short nap since I had a short night the night before. I managed to sleep for about 3 hours. I purposely did not want to shut my window shade as I feared that if I shut them, it will never be opened again until near landing time which I did not want. After the short nap, I woke up and my seatmate was still awake watching movies. I decided to take a walk back down the aircraft. Before going down the stair, I asked for a glass of port, just to treat my friends back there to a glass of port since one of them really likes ports. I made a walk to the back of the aircraft, it was brightly lited not like in the Raffles class. I saw that most of the passengers in economy were not sleeping but were watching the entertainment. Met up with my friends. Had a short talk with them, and decided to go back to my cabin. I made a stop at the toilet before the stairs, which was actually a toilet for wheelchair users. Here are some shots of the toilet
After that I went back up to the upperdeck. I took the opportunity to browse the entertainment system. I decided to watch a Bollywood film. It was rather long, but very entertainment movie. During the movie, I noticed that the FA made some rounds, but it was not that frequent. I did ask for glass of Singapore Sling again. It was a nice drink while watching the film. The film was about 3 hours long. After the film, I took a few shots of the landscape outside.
Anyway, after that I went for another film, this time a local Singapore movie. During the movie, they begin with the lunch. The table was set again and I had my first course which was a sort of Salmon with some very nice salad dressing.
It was a very good starter. I did have to wait a while before the main meal arrived. I had actually ordered the Salmon for my main meal from the book the cook. So, my second salmon. At this stage I was actually rather full already. The presentation of the salmon in comparison to the Lobster Termidor was way much better. It was cooked just right. I managed to finish all the salmon leaving behind the potatoes and the some of the greens. I noticed that my neighbour had one of the meal from the menu, I believe it was some sort of curry beef or chicken, which actually looked very nice. He skipped the starter and just went for the main meal. So, he was finished with his meal rather fast. He also skipped the dessert, which was ice-cream (I believe it was coconut ice cream).
After the meal, I continued with my movie, and this time I did not order any drinks as I was really full after the meal. I requested for a cup of tea just to relax. The movie was actually quite good, depicting the life of Singaporeans and their dreams. I did not realize that we were actually close to Singapore, until the announcement came that we were going to land soon and I had about 40 mins of the movie remaining. I did not manage to finish the movie but at that time I did not feel sad as I thought I might be able to catch the end during my SIN-CGK sector. Headphones were collected (which were the noise canceling ones and they were not too bad, though I thought that they could be better). The cabin was prepared for landing. Here are some shots of the sea around Singapore
Soon, we landed into a rather sunny Changi airport. Here are some shots of the activities around the airport
The reflection of our aircraft
A Royal Brunei

30 Jan 2007
SQ 160
B777-200 Jubillee
SIN-CGK
Seat: 12A
Dept time: 1525

After sitting in the lounge and finishing all my phone calls, emails and internet, I noticed that it was about 45 mins to boarding. I left the lounge and before that enquired if flying on any Star Alliance flight in Business was eligible for me to use the lounge. It was a green light. So, I did not have to say my good bye to the lounge since I had one more flight coming up the next day. I made a slow diverted walk to the gate. On the way, I managed to grab this SIA Star Alliance B777 arriving and parking.
I passed also the MH B737 with the Visit Malaysia Year
A shot of the sign for the Change ready for the A380
I arrived at gate D2.
I proceeded with security check and went into the waiting area. Next to us was the SQ A350 preparing for departure to LAX. Here are a few shots of it
One day I would like to experience this little baby. I noticed that this flight was also rather full, with lots of Indonesian on the flight. Soon, it was time to board. Again, they called for children and people with needs to board, followed directly with First, Business, PPS members and Gold card holders to board. They were using two aerobridge today, with the first trunk for Business and First. It was just surprising how trained the ground staff were in making sure you went in the right door, as I hardly even had to show my boarding pass and was just directed to the correct trunk. At the door, I was again greeted warmly by name. I passed through the First class, some seat shots
I passed through the main door, and was again greeted by name. The economy passengers were already boarding. I managed to get to my seat. Immediately after that, I was offered a pre-flight drink. This time I just took the orange juice. The FA came round with magazines and papers. I did not take any papers but just took a magazine. At this stage the cabin was starting to fill up, and I was hoping that no one would occupy the seat next to me. But no such luck today, an Englishman sat next to me. He was rather unfriendly I would say, no hello or smile. There were still a few empty seats and I was thinking he would move to one for more space, but weirdly, he just sat there even after doors closed. I would have moved if I gotten another window, but since not, I too just stayed there. Doors were closed, and the safety video was shown. Pushed back started
And the engine started. Towels that were handed out earlier were collected and the cabin prepared for take-off. Some shots of the actions at the terminal
Low cost terminal
FedEx taking off
Soon, we took off
Some views of the Singapore coast
Soon, the chime came for the FA to get into action. As usual when boarded in the seat pocket in front of us, there were the headphones and the menu. I looked at the menu, and there was actually not much interesting offering, I went for the fried vermicelli. I had also wanted to actually continue with a movie I was watching on the SYD-SIN sector, but to my disappointment, it was not the on demand AVOD. So, I did not know the ending. I just watched some sitcoms and browsed through some of the movies on offer. Soon the FA came for the meal request and my table was set. They were all handed directly to us on a tray. I actually forgot to take a photo of it. But it was the nearly the same layout as the CGK-SIN sector. I was actually also full at that stage, but still took the garlic bread. Since the flight time was again a short one, of just over an hour, by the time meal was finished, we were starting again our descent into CGK. I just managed to have one last glass of Baileys before landing. Here are some photos of the coast of Java island
Shortly, we landed into CGK, and I managed to snap a shot of the SQ returning to SIN
Some shots of the actions in CGK, especially the white 747 of Garuda (is this on lease for a short period?)
The Qatar Airways
A Malaysian Airlines going back to KUL
Lion Air
Kuwait Airways
[URL=http://img250.imageshack.us/my.php?imag ... iewue3.jpg][img:0

nldogbert

Part 4

Post by nldogbert »

11 Jan 2007
SQ 107
B777-200 Jubilee
KUL-SIN
Seat: 14K
Dept time: 1020

After a short night and having a nice breakfast at the loumge, I went to get the buggy back to the airport. At this point, I separated with my other travel mates since they were going to Macau and Hong Kong, while I went to Singapore and to Bangkok. I managed to collect back the bag I left with the hotel before I went back to the airport. I arrived at the SQ check-in counter to find that all counters were occupied. Both the First Class counters had passengers with problems, so in the end after waiting for about 15 mins, one of the economy counter became free and I just went there to check-in. I requested to be seated on the A side of the aircraft, but sadly no window seats were available, so I settled back into the K side. I went directly to the passport control and to the aerotrain. Duty free shops at KLIA
The Silver Kris lounge was on the same side of the Plaza Premium Lounge, this morning used by SriLankan and Air India,
It was not too difficult to locate.
I wanted to try out the TG lounge, but since I read reviews that it was nothing special, I just settled for the Silver Kris lounge. I was warmly greeted by name at the entrance. As expected, it was a rather small lounge and does not reflect on the First class service/environment you would expect from SIA. Anyway, all utilities were with the First emblem. It was quite full already. Buffet area
TV and lounge area
One good point was that it had a great view of the tarmac area. I was lucky and saw this Biman DC10 preparing for its flight to Dhaka
A Travel Service Airlines
Soon, I saw our aircraft arriving from SIN
25 mins before departure time, I decided to leave the lounge and head for the gate. I managed to snap a shot of the MH 747 Hibiscus aircraft, which I thought that morning had left.
We had again the security check at the gate. Soon, boarding was announced and again, First class and PPS members were invited to board first. This was immediately followed by Star Gold, families with children and people needing assistance. Again two aerobriges were used. Again the first for First class passengers. I was again greeted warmly at the door by the Inflight supervisor. Again, I was greeted by name. I was one of the first to board. Today, it was the regional Business class seats but with the First class amenities.
I noticed that they actually have two different seat materials
Again, the usual routine of a pre-flight drink was served with hot towels. The flight was rather full this morning, so I had a seatmate, whom at the end of the flight, I knew he was a usual First/Business class frequent flyer. Anyway, doors were closed and soon we were pushed back. On the way to the active runway, I saw some interesting planes, Indian Airlines to Bangkok (the one I wanted to take, but just could not get a ticket)
View of the tarmac and Malaysia Airlines A330
Nepal Airlines
Arriving at the active runway
During take-off, we had a view of the Sepang F1 circuit and again some landscape around the airport
Directly after that, the first officer came on and told us that the flight will be a bit longer than usual due to the thunderstorm down south. We had to take diversion flying close to the island of Sumatra. Soon, the chime came for the SQ girls to get into action. Immediately, they came round asking everyone individually what would their choice of light meal be. I took the chicken panini with salad. My seatmate did not want anything and just continued to sleep. My table was set up and my meal arrived.
It was not too bad, though I found the bread to be a bit dry, well, did not expect a good panini bread onboard anyway. I could feel that this flight was really much longer than usual, as the FA’s did not have that rushing feeling. I even managed to enjoy slowly sipping my cup of tea later on. After that, I reclined back and enjoyed this extra long flight. On the flight path, we were really taking a diverted route compared to the normal straight line. Soon, we landed in a really wet Changi Airport.
I proceeded directly to collect my bag and took the MRT to the Bugis station for the IC hotel.
Some nice view of the arrangements at the lobby.

11 Jan 2007
LX 183
A340-300
SIN-BKK
Seat: 6K
Dept time: 2120

After leaving my bag at the hotel and meeting up with some friends for lunch, I made my way back to the airport again since it was really rather impossible to walk in the rain and I was actually rather wet already. Since Swiss was using T1, I had to take the aerotrain to T1.
I was more than 4 hours at the airport before departure time. Luckily the Swiss check-in was already open. I enquired for the price for a one-way upgrade to First, but sadly I did not take it since it was not worth the asking price. I obtained a lounge invitation to use the Plaza Premium Lounge but did ask if I could use the Silver Kris lounge. I was advised that it was in T2 and to be sure to make it back to T1 for the flight. After that, I proceeded through passport control and went directly back to the airside aerotrain for the train to T2. Went directly to the Silver Kris lounge and they had no problem admitting me into the Raffles lounge. Immediately took a shower. This lounge was now becoming like a second home to me, just knew where and how everything worked. After the nice refreshing shower, I had a few bites and surfed the internet. The lounge was actually rather packed at this hour. You could really see all sort of people in there, and this makes you wonder that so many people are either Gold or can afford to fly Business no matter how they look or dressed. I stayed in the lounge for about 2 hours before taking the aerotrain back to T1. Arriving at T1, I got a bit lost trying to find for the lounge. I stumbled across the ANA lounge, and silly me, I forgot that they were part of the *A or else would have made a visit to it.
Anyway, in the end, I found the Plaza Premium lounge and I was surprised that it was renovated compared to the last time when I was in there when flying AF. I wanted to try the Thai lounge, but it was closed. So now the Plaza Premium lounge is used for nearly all Star Alliance flights. Close to this was the British Airways/Qantas lounge.
Here are some exterior and interior shots of the Plaza Premium lounge
And what was nice, they had showers now, which was rather nice and modern (did not try)
I thought that the lounge is a really vast improvement compared to about a year ago. Although food offering was still a bit mediocre. Space wise, it was really big. About 40 mins to boarding, I left the lounge and proceeded to the gate C26. It was a rather long walk from the lounge to the gate. I arrived and it was rather full of passengers already in the waiting area.
My aircraft to BKK
After just waiting for a short while, boarding started again with the normal sequence. I find that in SIN, these are strictly followed. They were using only one bridge for boarding this time. This was my first time on a Swiss long haul aircraft. I noticed that next to the door, they had the information of the aircraft. Today I was on the Mount Blanc aircraft with the height of the mountain next to it and the aircraft type too. I did not manage to grab a photo of this. Well, there were 2 FA’s greeting us at the door and was warmly greeted. My first impression of the Business class was good. I liked the material used for the seats. Here are some shots of the seat features and area
The coat closet
The Welcome monitor
I was soon served with a pre-flight drink (which I finished before remembering to the a shot) and newspaper.
The cabin started to fill up and soon my seatmate appeared. After sitting down for a moment, he stopped a passing FA and spoke to him in Italian which I did not understand. He later got up and went away, and soon, the same FA approached me to asked if I would mind changing seats as he said that my seatmate would like to sit together with his travelmate. I said yes I would not mind if he could find me another window seat. I did not want to be rude, but I just wanted my window seat. After sometime, my “former” seatmate returned and he had this evil look at me. I did not bother with his attitude, as it is not my fault. He took down his trolley and started removing some of his stuff in a rather angered way since I assumed he was taking the overnight flight back to Zurich. I did not bother and just continued with my own business. I guess he managed to arrange to have a seat behind there with his travelmate since he did not return anytime during the flight. I managed to get a few shots from the still wet Changi, including a CX flight returning to Hong Kong.
The FA’s on this flight seemed rather nice especially this particular one. He was really friendly to all the passengers
Soon, doors were closed and the safety video was shown. The first officer came on to tell us the flight details, but it was not really clear. Soon the cabin d’maitre came on to tell us about the flight. French, English, German and Italian were used in the announcements. Here are some views of the wings
It was nice to have the Airbus again. I thought it was not too bad the take-off, though less powerful compared to the 777 and the 747. We were soon flying in the night sky taking us over Malaysia, the Gulf of Thailand and into the new Bangkok airport with a flight time of about 1h 20 mins. When the chime came on again, the FA all sprang into action and a post-departure drink was offered. I chose the red wine. And they came round with the service trolley. Tonight in the menu was beef and fish. However, by the time the trolley came to me, they had no more choice but only the fish. I did not really like this that they had no choice, but since food was loaded in Bangkok, it was difficult for them to make judgment. I just accepted the fish, although I thought that the FA should have been friendlier in trying to make up this shortcoming. Maybe because he was the FA that I rejected earlier over the seat issue, that was why. Anyway, here is the meal
I had my Redwine refilled and a glass of water was together without any asking. The fish turned out much better than I thought since I am not such a fish fan. It was edible and not too fishy. Another round of drink service was offered and I took the port. It was a rather good one. Here is a view of the wing inflight, much clearer without the rain droplets
I was surprised that another FA enquired if I would like something else to drink. I took up the offer and went for my Baileys.
The entertainment system was rather good, though for this flight, the nose camera was not in used.
After finishing my drink and since there was nothing much that I could watch on the entertainment system, I just listened to some music and reclined my seat back. It was a rather comfortable seat and actually if I may say, I thought the Business class of Swiss was much better compared to the famous Spacebed on SQ. It may have the lack of privacy, but comfort wise, I thought it was good. After managing a short shut eye, I woke up and when I checked out the flight path, I noticed that we were approaching Bangkok. I went to the toilet and noticed that all the amenities had disappeared from the basket. I did not even receive any amenities bag and they were gone already. I say this because I did see in one of the basket a lipbalm left. I went back to my seat and they announced that we were arriving soon to Bangkok. However, 20 mins after that, we were still in the air and I noticed that we were actually circling. It was weird to see the flight path going in circles. Finally, we began our descend and landed at the new airport.
It was not too long a taxi to the stands. We were parked next to a TG B777.
We were told where to collect our luggage.
Soon, I was excited to disembark into the new airport. Passengers continuing to Zurich were asked to remain onboard. We were actually about 30 mins late in arrival.
This time, we passed through the First cabin to get out. It was a nice cabin comparable to the SQ First cabin. A warm farewell was given and I entered the new airport.
I looked for the signs to D-area and gosh, it was a long walk. It was like walking on and on without any end. I found that the signage at the airport to be not so clear. They should get advise from the designer of AMS and JFK airport for signage. Finally I arrived at the passport control for the D-belt and proceeded to the belt. On it, it said that luggage was on the belt, but it was not moving. Image
In the end I waited nearly 30 mins before the first bag arrived. It was really bad organization. While waiting I talked to this Thai chap to ask for information into getting to the right place for taxi and the ATM machine. After one hour of arriving, I finally arrived at the taxi stand. This is the only good thing about the airport, taxies are a bit more regulated. I did not have to wait too long before a taxi was available. The ride to the Conrad in Bangkok was about 35 mins and he was speeding like made, which I did not mind on this tiring night.
General, I really liked the Business class service onboard Swiss. I thought that the FA’s were much better compared to SQ. They had more warmth in them while serving the passengers. Even the seats were a bit better. Quality might be a bit less compared to SQ, but I think if I were to choose, I would have chosen Swiss over SQ.
Anyway, here a few photos of my suite at the Conrad. I had a double room connected to my suite.
LCD tv in double-room
Sitting area of double room
Entrance of double room
Wall decoration
Bedside table in double room
Double bed in room
Working area
Washbasin
Luggage and wardrobe room
Living room
Washroom
Livingroom area
Sitting area in suite bedroom
Bed in suite
Second washroom
Dining area
Bathtub

After a nice 2 days in Bangkok, it was time to leave.

13 Jan 2007
LX 182
A340-300
BKK-SIN
Seat: 6A
Dept time: 1625

I took the taxi from the hotel to the airport after bidding farewell to my friends. The taxi driver did ask if I wanted to use the highway or the normal road, I told him to use the highway since I was eager to get to the airport fast to check it out. After driving like mad we arrived in the new Bangkok Airport area. Here are some shots from the taxi of the terminals and buildings
It was rather a long drive even when you are at the vicinity of the airport. But the whole area was impressive and it was obvious that Thai was dominating all the buildings there. I was dropped off at the departure level and I made my way into the terminal. It was big and crowded. The Lufthansa and Swiss check-in area was in the same row, with LH heading towards KUL and LX towards SIN. Opposite this row was the Bangkok Airways check-in, it was actually very nicely decorated since it is the Boutique Airline of Asia. LH and LX check-in was still closed, so I took this opportunity to walk around. Some shots
Thai Self Service Check in Machines
Thai First and Royal Silk Class check in area
View of the opposite terminal
Some signboards
I went back to the LH and LX check in area which was also close to the Star Alliance common ticketing counter
Image Image
Soon, check-in was shortly open for my flight. The line for economy had grown rather long since I left. In the Business class line, it was quite busy and the group of passengers checking in ahead of me seem to be having problems with their baggage. I was directed to the First class check in. At check-in I enquired again about the cost of upgrading to First class. They made a few calls and came back with a negative answer telling me that they could not give me a quote on that. So I just left it as it is. Even though I did not check-in online, I managed to snap a window seat on the A side, bulkhead. I was given a lounge invitation to use the Royal Silk Lounge. I proceeded to the tax counter to buy my departure tax. Went through passport control. Directly after the control, they had this really beautiful Royal Barge replica,
and a replica of the throne and some photos of the King
I went to do some last minute shopping and here two shots of the duty free area
After that I went towards the Royal Silk Lounge. I did at first have some difficulties locating it, but luckily I saw some signs to it
It was actually quite large as they had this sort of open area before the lounge entrance which had chairs and a grand piano there. I wondered if that belong to part of the lounge.
Well, I showed my invitation and was invited to use the lounge. I did enquire about shower facilities and they told me that I would have to go to the lounge in Departure area C (if I remembered correctly). I thought since I had time, I told them I would do that. They gave me back the invitation and directed me to walk all the way through the lounge to the next counter for the Royal First Class lounge and from there follow the signs. I managed to get to the some point where there was no more signage. I ended up near the Bangkok airways lounge
It was located in a rather deserted like area. Anyway, since I did not want to waste time, I just entered the lounge to ask for directions. With that I managed to find the other Royal Silk lounge.
I entered and handed the invitation. I was greeted warmly and was told that no lounge announcement would be made. After that I went looking for a place to seat, but it did look full this afternoon. After finding a spot near the window, I proceeded to one of the lounge attendant to enquire about shower usage and was told that I needed to wait. So, I grabbed some food. Here are some views around the lounge
Ceiling
My light meal
Food layout was not that good, rather simple for a lounge. Well, more shots

After waiting for ½ hour, I was still not called, I approached again the attendant to enquire about it and he told me that he will look into it. I went for some drinks this time. Than I noticed that there was a change of shift. Noticing this change, I waited for another 10 mins and still nothing happened. I asked this new guy and he told me that he will come back to me on it. I took again another round of Thai desserts. Just as I was walking back to my seat, he came and informed me that the shower was ready. I was thinking if I should eat or shower, I decided to leave my food there and take a shower. I must say that the shower room was really spacious, much much better than the SKL one. Here are some shots of the shower room
I liked the products they used, as they really made the shower refreshing. After that, I returned and saw that my desserts were still there. So I continued with it. One bad thing about the airport was that the windows were all covered with this sort of layer with small dots on them, so taking photos were a nightmare. Anyway, from where I was sitting here was the view of the activities outside
After settling for another 20 mins or so, I decided to go back to the other lounge which was closer to my departing gate. On the way I passed the Royal Orchid Spa Lounge which was not yet opened, sadly.
I could enter the lounge with my C class boarding pass. This lounge was bit bigger, but still it was crowded. Here are some view of this lounge
Children playing area
The long hallway
I stayed in the lounge for another 30 mins and I left since boarding for my flight would start in less than 20 mins. On the way to the gate, I managed to see the LH flight to KUL in Star Alliance scheme. There were also a SQ plane and some Thai. Here are some shots of the activities and more shots of the interior of the airport
My Swiss flight to SIN
Gate area
We had to walk down a flight of stairs to get to the boarding area. It was actually rather dull and everything was concrete looking with steel all over. After waiting for a few minutes, they started boarding. They began with transit passengers and this was followed by a boarding for First and Business class passenger and than Gold members.
The aircraft today was Christened Parrotspitze. I was greeted warmly by this elderly FA. I made it to my seat and settled down. Here are some shots of the seat and cabin area
Leg rest
Head rest
Seat control
A medical socket
I was soon offered a pre-flight drink. I took the champagne this afternoon. Soon, boarding was complete. Business was not very full today. From my seat, I managed to grab some shots of the aerobridges which had the long live the king slogan and some aircrafts, mostly Thai
Doors were soon closed and the safety demonstration was shown. We were pushing back
While taxing, managed to get a few shots of activities around us
It was a rather long taxi to the runway,
We soon took off into the skies of Thailand, the first officer came on to give us more information on the flight. Soon, they FA came into service and we were offered a post-take off drink. I went for the white wine, I believed it was a Riesling
They distributed the menu and I opted for the chicken option. Soon, they began with the meal service. Actually after that post flight drink service, I did actually had a short shut eye and the meal service passed me. However, a FA noticed and returned to me to asked me I would like something to eat. I told him what I wanted and soon I had my meal
This time I had a Coke with the meal. I would say that the meal was really good. I managed to finish everything except the bread, cause it was rather filling. Weirdly on this sector they had no headphones, so I could not use the entertainment system. I did turn on my personal TV and kept track of our flight path. Here are some shots outside during the flight
Flying along the coast of Malaysia
Soon, it was announced that we would be landing soon. The cabin was prepared for landing, though there was not much for the FA’s to do. I noticed that this time the nose camera was on, it was cool to watch it and also outside.
Landing would be into a cloudy day in Singapore, seems it had just rained earlier
I had another good flight with Swiss. The crew this time was really friendly and very professional. After my second flight with Swiss in business, I really do think that they are actually much better than the service on Singapore Airlines. I found the seats much more comfortable compared to the Spacebed and the FA much warmer. Anyway, I managed to get out from the airport to the LRT station in about 20 mins with the Priority tag again working. I got to the Intercontinental in about 40 mins after stepping out of the aircraft.

nldogbert

Finale: The end

Post by nldogbert »

14 Jan 2007
LH 779
B747-400
SIN-FRA
Seat: 52J
Dept time: 2359

After spending the day walking around Singapore and waiting for my friends to arrive back from Hong Kong, we left for the airport after dinner. We arrived about 4 hours before depature of the flight as I could not get hold of a computer to do online check-in and furthermore, we were just too tired to do anything else but to take it easy before the flight. I knew that LH has a early check-in service in SIN. So, when we arrived we could already check-in. There was already a substantial line at the only two early check-in counters opened. We stood in line and it was actually quite funny to see that there was this chap running around promoting the LH FF Miles and More program. He was virtually asking everyone in line and explaining all the benefits of the program to everyone making the program looks so attractive. When one of my friends gave a negative answer, he was quickly pulled into the sweet talking into filling the form to participate in the program. He told my friend to fill in the form with only his name, he took the form directly back to the check-in agent. He told us that he will be back after the check-in process to complete the details. He did this from person to person.

In my opinion, I don’t understand why M&M is so interested to get so many members without even considering that maybe half of them don’t fly LH often or realize that the program is not as sweet as it is. Anyway, this guy most probably was getting commisions from every new member he could get. Back to check-in, after waiting for about 20 mins, it was our turn to check-in.
I requested for a seat in the front section, but of course I knew the chances were slim, and also for those last two sets of 2 seats way back, but no luck too. I sat together with one friend and the other friend got a seat on the opposite side as we both wanted a window. I was again stuck in the middle. Luckily there was no complain over the weight of our luggage since I was a bit worried as I have been so used to travelling with Elite status that normally it was no problem. After check-in, that guy quickly came back to us and the whole process of the M&M was completed.

After that, we proceeded to passport control and this was my last time going through the control here after those numereous times this trip. After that, my friends wanted to check some emails, so we went looking for those free internet terminals. We found it and it was full of people, however, luckily the wait was not so long. We surfed until the time was up and we proceeded to the gate area. We took a last stroll to the gate passing again the so familiar escalator to the SKL lounge. Was wishing I was in there now, but well, my last few flights were good enough. We passed also through the japanese carp garden.
Anyway, we reached the gate area about 2 hours before departure. It was as expected rather empty with just a few other passengers waiting outside of the holding pen. The flight today would be a code share flight with SQ , NZ and one more, I believe.
Here are a few shots around the gate, which is actually the same interior decoration you will find though out the terminal.
I walked a bit further and came to the boundary between T1 and T2.
Went back to the gate to wait for the flight to open. At this point I was actually really tired and just wanted to get onboard to sleep. About 1 hour before departure, the security people came and they started getting the area ready for boarding. Later some LH ground staff arrived with some banners to be put up for the First/Business/Senator and Gold card holders. Even before things were set up, the line was rather long already. We waited a bit until things got going and joined the line. It was actually good that we went in early as it got full just within 10 mins after the gate was open. Soon, the LH crew arrived and they boarded to the aircraft to prepare the plane for departure. From the amount of passengers in the holding pen, I believe the flight was about 90% full. Boarding was soon announced and as usual, First/Business/Senators and Gold card holders were called for boarding together with family with children and passengers needing assistance. Boarding was done by row and they started with the back rows. It was quite a relief to see that people here were behaving and did not rush to board when it was announced. We were greeted warmly at the door, but of course not as good as those of SQ. Today’s crew were again the same mixture of Asians and German/European crew members with again the majority of non-German crew working in the Economy section. I settled down in my middle seat and waited anxiously to see who would be my seat mate. I was actually getting excited cause I thought I would be so lucky to get a free seat besides me, but to my horror, one of the worst nightmare of flying in Economy showed up to be seated besides me. It was a nightmare as I it was a really one in a thousand or even million probability that I would get this really obese guy and what was surprising was that he was an Asian! I do not mean to be racial or cruel, but tell me, how often do you get to seat next to an obese Asian. He was really big, as when he sat down, sorry to say this, but part of him just spilled into my side which the arm rest could not even handle it and was at an angle. Anyway, he was at this moment fiddling to buckle up and it was a scene to looked how he struggled. I thought that he would not be able to buckle it and had to ask for an extension. However, after those pull and jerk and him trying to buckle it at his “smallest” circumference, he managed. Anyway, back to the flight, we departed on time. Due to the night condition, it was rather difficult to capture any photos, so I did not bother. The safety video was shown and the cabin was dimmed for take-off. We were behind another SQ flight. Soon, we reached the runway and took off into the night sky of Singapore. The take-off roll was pretty long, most probably due to the heave loaded aircraft. I think we reached the limit before rotating. Anyway, even during the take-off roll, I was already preparing to sleep. Luckily I earlier received an eye shade from my Swiss flight, so I had it on and told my friend to not to call me for anything except if we were going into any emergency mode. I managed to fall asleep rather fast and did so until some point where they started serving the meal, as my neighbor kept nudging into me s few times. I did take a small peak to see them serving the meal but at the same time with the help of the shade, I managed to get back to sleep. I was surprised that after that, I managed to sleep rather soundly until about 2 hours before landing. I was happy about it, as when I woke up, I did feel refresh. I looked at my neighbour and he was sound asleep. However, at this point I just needed to use the restroom, so I had to wake him up, there was no chance here for me to use the arm rest as my alternative way out as I did in my inbound flight. Went to the restroom and refreshed myself. On my way out, I managed to grab some water. I walked around a bit and managed to get some snapshot of the cabin.
Also took this rather poor shot of some city we were flying over, I think it could be somewhere in Turkey.
I returned to my seat and soon, breakfast was served. They lighted up the cabin. Before they came around the with cart, they had a sort of “wake-up” round of drinks. There was no choice for breakfast and this was what I got, which was not bad, but maybe it was because I was hungry. There was this green stuff, which was actually edible (since I am able to write this TR )
After the meal, I took a few picture from my seat,
Seat back
A reflection of the seat on the window
The meal was soon cleared away and I listened for the remainder of the flight the Club channel, which was actually playing some nice club and lounge tracks. Soon, I noticed that we were slowly descending. The FO came on to announce our arrival in 20 mins and the cabin was prepared for landing. On our side of the economy section, I believe we were served by a Turkish-German FA. He was actually very friendly from the experience I had during the last meal. Anyway, they collected back the headphones and cleared any other items remaining. I did not know that we actually had a delay, as during the landing process, they displayed and made a few announcements about connections. Some of the people who will be missing their flight was assured that they will be rebooked onto the next one. As for my connection, we were told that we were still able to make it. But gosh, what an adventure it turned out to be. Well, we landed into a below zero Frankfurt Airport. It was really nice seeing the sprays from the landing. Here are a few shots of the early morning activity at FRA
A SAA 340-600
The Star Alliance scheme 747 which was seen in BKK a few days ago
A LH 747-400
And actually what was surprising was that there was an Air France B747 parked there. I suspect it was there for maintenance as I read I think that AF has an agreement with Lufthansa Technik for this. Any idea on this?
We parked next to Tunis Air which was pushing back for departure

A TG 747 from BKK
After parking, I noticed that we had actually about 1.5 hours before our flight to CDG departs. I thought that this should not be a problem. It took nearly 20 mins before we could exit the aircraft, and after that when we arrived at the passport counters, it was long with all the morning arrivals. I think it took another 20 mins to get through passport and this was even for EU passport holders, with the long lines. We had to walk after that all the way to Terminal A, and this was a long long walk. When we arrived, we had to again go through security check and the line was miles long. I approached the guard for the Hon/Business class line to explain our situation and she just looked at us and said no, only for Hon/Business card holders. At this point I just wanted to give her a piece of mind. Luckily I managed to keep calm and just joined the line and if we did miss our flight, LH can talk to her. Luckily the line was moving fast, and managed to get through in around 10 mins. I thought that it would not be too far to go, but gosh was I wrong. We had to go down a flight of stairs and walk through a long tunnel (which had some beautiful lighting) and again up 2 floors. This took us nearly 10 mins or so to get to. Finally in Terminal B, we had to still walk another 10 mins to reach the gate. Luckily they waited for us.

15 Jan 2007
LH 4210
B737-500
FRA-CDG
Seat: 19F
Dept time: 0730

After arriving just on before the gate closed, we were the last passengers to board the plane. The gate agent did not say anything, so I guess they were expecting us. But gosh, the face of every passenger on the flight, all attention was on the three of us. Well, at last this time I can say it was not out fault that we were late! In fact, I think we did a good job rushing from Terminal B, via the long walk, through passport control, through another security check with long snaky lines and go down those 4 flight of stairs and through the long “disco light” tunnel and back up in the slowest lift you can imagine and the walk all the way to gate A42, in less than 30 mins, I think we did a really good job of it. Since we were the last to arrive, doors were closed just within minutes after we were settled. The flight was nearly full in both Business and economy. Of course all overhead bins were full, so we just plonked all our hand luggage in front of us though it did not fit and was not under the seat, the FA did not say anything. I was also too tired from the running to bother. We pushed backed again from a dark but busy European pier. It was all LH planes except a lone Austrian, most probably preparing back to Vienna. We taxied to the runway again passing the beautiful SAA long bird and some interesting cargo beauties. Again in the distance I saw the Air France 747-400. I believe it was there for maybe maintenance? We could see that some planes were being deiced. Take-off was fast and soon, we were airborne. It was clear that the sun was rising. Had some nice shots while flying over German airspace.
Sun rising
Some German city
Another German city
Soon, breakfast snack begin. It was not too bad, but rather small, ok, something is better than nothing. The FA was very efficient with the service and managed to serve the full flight in less than 15 mins.
Breakfast
Trolley with food
Somewhere over France
Sunrise over France
Approaching CDG
View of Paris in the distance with a blurred view of the Eiffel Tower
Soon, we landed towards the beginning of a new day in Paris. Saw some AF arriving and also T1 was already full with the various heavies from Asia.
Landing at CDG
Approaching T1
AF 777 just arriving after us
We parked next to a Yemenia airlines flight.
Managed to catch this LH 737 going to Hamburg
We walked again back in this retro terminal to the baggage claim area. This time, while walking from the satellite back to the main terminal, the escalator was down, so we had to walk all the way through the “finger” to the main terminal. It was actually a rather embarrassment that here in Europe such things are worst compared to the airport in Singapore. Anyway, waited and waited for the bag, and finally it started to come out. However, halfway through the process, some bags blocked the mechanism and since this happened somewhere near the final stages, the remaining passengers thought that their bags were left back in FRA since the information given on the monitor said that all bags were out from the flight. So, I went to the counter to enquire with the rest. One passenger whom seem to speak German, told about hearing a loud thud and immediately the agent knew what happened. This was resolved and more bags started rolling out. So all the bags were on the flight. Exited into a cold arrivals hall. Again went in circle to find the bus to Terminal 2. On the way, managed to snapped the following pictures:
Malaysian 747-400
EVA Air 747-400
Managed to find the right exit for the bus to T2. Just on time to catch it without waiting in the cold. The ride was interesting, passing through various interesting points. Managed to snap the following:
AF Brit Air RJ’s
AF BaE
Some interesting ones
And the on display Concorde
Soon, we arrived at the TGV station to catch our train back to Belgium and the Netherlands. It was the end of the journey, tired, but a great one.

Hope that everyone enjoyed this looonnnnggg trip report. To those who managed to come to this part, thanks for taking the time to read. Any comments are welcome.

Next few coming flights, just a few short hops over to UK and a long one to SFO during Easter. Here are some shots from the spotting in Sydney.

Just summary of my opinion of the different flights:
LH(Economy): I was surprised with the service provided on the ground and inflight. From the stories I have read and heard, I thought it would be hell to fly with them, but turned out to be OK. I don't have any complains about the service provided inflight, only thing was the situation when flights are delayed and they do not provide any ground staff to help in bringing passengers intime for connecting flights where they can still make it. If I would fly with them again, I would not mind, though daylight flights could be a bore without the PTV, but night flights, it is still bearable. I do hope that they bring inflight internet.

SQ(First): As usual, gret service. However, compared to my experience with MH two years ago on the same sector and class of service, I think MH FA are more human compared to SQ. Loungewise, MH has a much superior product even compared to the SQ SKL First in SIN. MH Lounge in SIN looks nice from the outside after their renovation, but inside, I am not sure. However, one thing I learnt, holding a F ticket with SQ does not mean you have the world under you, I had a bit of a problem with this ticket and in because of the hassle of getting it changed while I was in Australia and even in Singapore, I just left it as it was. Was not very happy with this part. Of course it is difficult to comment on such a short sector.

SQ(Raffles): Was actually a bit disapointed. It was suppose to be as known widely, that they have one of the best service inflight. I found both service from the FA (except the FA Supervisor), just OK. Seats were ok, though not super luxurious. Lots of cutback and even food quality was not as good as I thought it would be. Would I pay from my own pocket to fly with them, sadly I think not. Lounges, SKL Raffles lounge was ok, I would say it was between TG and MH, with MH still having a much better business lounge.

Swiss (Business): I was surprised by the service and comfort of the seat inflight. They may not call you by name, but at least you see that most of the FA are doing it naturally and not as trained. I think this is important to adapt to situations. The seats are a tad more comfortable compared to the Spacebed, though technologywise, I think SQ still has the edge in this.

Qantas (Economy): As usual, FA were very friendly, an Aussie culture I guess. Very accommodating ground and inflight staff. Product wise, I would say very good for the fare I paid. Seats in economy was comfortable. If I have the opportunity, I would fly them again.
Last edited by nldogbert on 23 Feb 2007, 12:21, edited 1 time in total.

stevie

Post by stevie »

:shock: :shock:

what a log/trip

thanks for sharing :wink:

Malaysia

Post by Malaysia »

Yes , A very long trip

But Beatutefel pictures

fokker_f27

Post by fokker_f27 »

Very nice (and long) report! :D
The most sexy girl in the sky: The Sud-Est Caravelle 12.

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Wow! The most interesting trip report I've ever read.

At one point you mentioned an A350: I guess you meant (from the picture) an A340-500?

Just one question: hopping from one alliance to te other and from one class to the other, how did you manage to gett all your tickets? Just in one shot, or several separate tickets. And another one: this must have cost you a hell of money if you travelled several alliances?
André
ex Sabena #26567

nldogbert

Post by nldogbert »

sn26567 wrote:Wow! The most interesting trip report I've ever read.

At one point you mentioned an A350: I guess you meant (from the picture) an A340-500?

Just one question: hopping from one alliance to te other and from one class to the other, how did you manage to gett all your tickets? Just in one shot, or several separate tickets. And another one: this must have cost you a hell of money if you travelled several alliances?
Yes, I guess I meant the 340-500, must have been too tired when writing this report, which took me weeks during after work.

Well, it was not too bad, since it was a mixture of awards and paid flights. Travelling up front in Asia is actually cheap especially for this short hops operated by these connecting European carriers. Lets you have have a try of the service where you can hardly try back here in Europe. So, it did not break a hole in my pocket. I would do it again, though for the SIN-KUL-SIN sectors, it was actually rather expensive if you saw it per mileage. It used to be really cheap but this time when I booked the ticket, it was really much more expensive the last time I did it on MH. This is the only sector where I would think twice to do it again.

Btw, thanks to all for the comments so far.. hope you enjoyed reading it. Apologies for any other mistakes spotted.. but do let me know if there any others.

eurofighter

Post by eurofighter »

Excellent Trip Report. If I had the time and the money and/or miles to fly this much I would do it immediately, something similar. Very interesting routing. But I guess I have to save some money first.

:)

Ivan_Eagle

Post by Ivan_Eagle »

very long bet a very very nice report :!: :!:

Greats Ivan