Question: take-off procedures

A forum to discuss all aviation items (not for latest aviation news and military aviation news)

Moderator: Latest news team

earthman

Question: take-off procedures

Post by earthman »

Hello all,

I seem to recall that once upon a time, before take-off, the plane would stand at the beginning of the runway, turn the throttle all the way up, with the brakes on, throttle down again, release the brakes, and then throttle up and go.

I haven't experienced anything of the sort in a long time. Why was this done, and why isn't it anymore? Or was this specific to certain regions and/or aircraft?

- Chris

luchtzak

Post by luchtzak »

On short runways this procedure is still used: e.g. London City, Florence (Italy).

As far as I know all the rest are rolling take-offs.

earthman

Post by earthman »

But why the engine run-up and back to idle before the actual take-off? Engine test? Warming up the engine?

luchtzak

Post by luchtzak »

I am sorry but I misread your original message, this part I overlooked: throttle down again

AFAIK this is not done anymore. As to my earlier post the procedure in London City and Florence are 'static take-offs': full throttle on the breaks, then releasing the breaks and take-off

V-Bird

Post by V-Bird »

I read several times that some russian build aircrafts ( Il-86 / Il-96 and An-124 ) need to warm up there engines before take off. I noticed my self that an Antonov 124 departing from Maastricht stands at the beginning of the runway, turn the throttle all the way up for at least 5 minutes, then released the brakes and took off....

earthman

Post by earthman »

Well, it most probably was on a Tu-154, in the 80s.

thomascookie

Post by thomascookie »

With a cessna 152 and other small planes we do this to see if the engine is working at a high RPM (+-1700RPM) so that we know that we have a working engine in TO.

Avro

Post by Avro »

V-Bird wrote:I read several times that some russian build aircrafts ( Il-86 / Il-96 and An-124 ) need to warm up there engines before take off. I noticed my self that an Antonov 124 departing from Maastricht stands at the beginning of the runway, turn the throttle all the way up for at least 5 minutes, then released the brakes and took off....
This is done on the AN124 because the engines are not reliable and the systems need to stabilize and warm up. This takes a while.

On current civil planes you will mostly hear the engine spool up to about 60-70% during initial take off and when the RPM needles are synchronized they spool up at full T/O thrust. This is apperently done to avoid asymetric thrust during take off and to stabilize the system. However I'd like a pro to back up this cause I'm not 100% sure of the reaosn.

Chris

bigjulie

Post by bigjulie »

It was a good feeling spooling up the engines against the break then letting the brakes off & whooshing down the runway for t/o :lol:

Zorba

Post by Zorba »

Avro wrote:
V-Bird wrote:I read several times that some russian build aircrafts ( Il-86 / Il-96 and An-124 ) need to warm up there engines before take off. I noticed my self that an Antonov 124 departing from Maastricht stands at the beginning of the runway, turn the throttle all the way up for at least 5 minutes, then released the brakes and took off....
This is done on the AN124 because the engines are not reliable and the systems need to stabilize and warm up. This takes a while.

On current civil planes you will mostly hear the engine spool up to about 60-70% during initial take off and when the RPM needles are synchronized they spool up at full T/O thrust. This is apperently done to avoid asymetric thrust during take off and to stabilize the system..
I think this is correct, the pilot non flying is normaly checking if both engines run at the same percentage during take off, and they indeed spoil the engines first up to see if both engines run fine.

The times I flew on GA aicraft we also did an engine test before line up (about 1700 rpm like thomascookie said). Always nice to feel the whole aircraft shaking like that :D
Tot hier en verder