1983 Enterprise shuttle flight over Zaventem

A forum to discuss all aviation items (not for latest aviation news and military aviation news)

Moderator: Latest news team

buran

1983 Enterprise shuttle flight over Zaventem

Post by buran »

Hello,

Did you know there has been a piggyback flight over Zaventem on June 5 1983 ?

Here's a picture I took at that time(sorry for the bad quality):

http://users.skynet.be/satimage/satbase/enterp.jpg

Greetings,

B737229

Post by B737229 »

will never forget that scene!!!

Atlantis

Post by Atlantis »

Yes, that's correct. I saw it in that time. The entreprise was the "showing" shuttle. It has never flown. The Entreprise was in Brussels for an exhibition I thought.

B737229

Post by B737229 »

Atlantis wrote:Yes, that's correct. I saw it in that time. The entreprise was the "showing" shuttle. It has never flown. The Entreprise was in Brussels for an exhibition I thought.
.. was at the Le Bourget exhibition

Atlantis

Post by Atlantis »

Oeps :oops: I thought he was also here in Belgium. Long time ago, but that's not an excuse.

B737229

Post by B737229 »

I thinkyou are mixing up with MIR, which came to Brussels for an expo.. however MIR was flown in by several AN22's

Atlantis

Post by Atlantis »

I think it also that I'm mixed it up. I saw the enterprise with the B747, that's for sure. I saw him flying in front of our house.

The other I remember me the images on TV and newspapers with a huge crowd of people around him.

B744skipper

Post by B744skipper »

Unique view, unfortunately I wasn't born back then.

But what makes me wonder, the B747 with the Space Shuttle on top needed to make 2 fuel stops when flying from California to Florida, how many fuel stops (and where) did it needed to make when they flew over the Atlantic? 8O

Vinnie-Winnie

Post by Vinnie-Winnie »

Why did he fly over Belgium at such a low altitude then?

Doesn't make sense to me! Can anyone explain?

B737229

Post by B737229 »

Vinnie-Winnie wrote:Why did he fly over Belgium at such a low altitude then?

Doesn't make sense to me! Can anyone explain?
It was a fly - by at Brussels airport! If I remember well the aircraft came from LBG, and was enroute to the states

FlyA330

Post by FlyA330 »

It did also a fly-by over Antwerp. At that time, there was an Airshow over the river Schelde.

Vinnie-Winnie

Post by Vinnie-Winnie »

Oh right how cool!

Let's hope that there will be a fly-by of the A380 over Brussels aswell soon! (Already seen it at Le Bourget but wouldn't mind seeing it again with the added benefit of p***** off the Brussels nimby's :) here)

Thanks for the info!!!

Andries

Post by Andries »

B737229 wrote:I thinkyou are mixing up with MIR, which came to Brussels for an expo.. however MIR was flown in by several AN22's
8O 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O

I was born too late :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
B744skipper wrote:Unique view, unfortunately I wasn't born back then.

But what makes me wonder, the B747 with the Space Shuttle on top needed to make 2 fuel stops when flying from California to Florida, how many fuel stops (and where) did it needed to make when they flew over the Atlantic? 8O
I don't think it took the route a normal 747 would take. I was more thinking of the delivery routes for like CRJ's or EMB's to Europe. If I am not mistiking they go past Greenland and Iceland.

Greetz,

:twisted: Andries :twisted:
Don't dream your life, live your dream !!!

Comet

Post by Comet »

This shuttle did a flypast over Reykjavik in May 1983, I remember seeing it from the window of our hotel. It was a superb sight.
Sabena and Sobelair - gone but never forgotten.
Louise

luchtzak

Post by luchtzak »

Nice picture Buran, didn't knew that the space shuttle was in Belgium in 1983, that time I had the age of hmmm 6 :oops:

Vinnie-Winnie

Post by Vinnie-Winnie »

Well as far as I can remember I didn't c it I was only 1 1/ month old :)

More seriously wonder how much they spent on this must have cost them millions and millions imagine an empty b747 + a shuttle over it!

Thanks you NASA

buran

Post by buran »

luchtzak wrote:Nice picture Buran, didn't knew that the space shuttle was in Belgium in 1983, that time I had the age of hmmm 6 :oops:
Well I took a whole series of slides during the flyby. The weather wasn't that good but the reproduction you see is from a print of that slide. Unfortunately part of the slides are missing but I expect to find them back soon and make a direct slide scan. They would show up a lot better.
I remember that the anouncement was made by the late 'Armand Pien' on television. There was a lot of people standing on the roof of the parking place. Some of them with tripods. But it went all so fast that much of the people missed taking pictures of it. However it was very spectacular and I was glad I've seen it. 6 years later I saw the Russian(Soviet) space-shuttle 'Buran' at Le Bourget ! In 1995 I witnessed the launch of a 'real' Space Shuttle Discovery STS70 at KSC. And in 2002 I sat next to Frank De Winne in his Soyuz TMA1 training capsule at Moscou Star City which was an unbelievable experience.

JVJASON

Post by JVJASON »

I remember having seen space shuttle Enterprise on its 747 doing a flyby over CRL in 1983, as main attraction of an airshow that took place that day. The other great attraction was an AF Concorde standing on static display the whole day and taking off in the late afternoon, taking the winners of a contest for a trip to CDG. Quite an unforgettable experience to see both during the same day, especially Concorde as I was standing very close to the runway. I only regret not to have a good camera at that time...

Humberside

Post by Humberside »

Certainly a unique picture