Brussels Airlines in 2023

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

crew1990

Re: Brussels Airlines in 2023

Post by crew1990 »

fcw wrote: 05 Aug 2023, 15:00 Either they knew and shouldn’t have boarded either they missed the slot and got a new one two hours later.
It's now obvious you have no clue how ground ops work.

Are you actually aware that sometimes we have plenty of times to board with a slot but because of a PAX not showing up with a luggage in the hold can fucked up everything?

Aviation is always full of uncertainity and we unfortunately have no cristal ball on board yet. Maybe should you suggest SN to invest in it.

Please stop drawing conclusion without having facts

PopUp

Post by PopUp »

Indeed, aviation is full of uncertainty. However, taking off to any airport with very high temperatures with an APU INOP, is not a good idea (euphemism). "It never rains, but it pours" as the English saying goes. :shock:
MAD had its problems, too, and both combined, turned this flight into one never to forget for the pax and cc.
SN now has German top managers, including the COO if I am not mistaken. Forgive my sarcasm, but everything should have improved by now, no ?
I admit that I am not following everything in aviation always closely, but, and correct me if I am wrong, there seems to have been an accumulation of technical incidents at SN which make me wonder, if
I am going to continue to try and give my preference to SN. In another field, less important than safety, I would like to add that the announced upgrade in European Business class catering, is just a PR announcement. Yes, things have changed, but not improved.

fcw

Post by fcw »

crew1990 wrote: 05 Aug 2023, 18:17
fcw wrote: 05 Aug 2023, 15:00 Either they knew and shouldn’t have boarded either they missed the slot and got a new one two hours later.
It's now obvious you have no clue how ground ops work.

Are you actually aware that sometimes we have plenty of times to board with a slot but because of a PAX not showing up with a luggage in the hold can fucked up everything?

Aviation is always full of uncertainity and we unfortunately have no cristal ball on board yet. Maybe should you suggest SN to invest in it.
Well, talking about having no clue…. I did everything involved in grounds ops at least once myself: catering, boarding passengers, loading bags, fuelling , starting and connecting GPU’s, manual loadsheets, filing flight plans and even unclogging a toilet once.
All you say is valid for a normal day out, but operating into Madrid in the middle of a heatwave without an APU isn’t a normal day out, is that so difficult to understand?
The only fact we know for sure is there was a predictable health and safety issue which wasn’t handled properly, all the rest is window dressing and avoiding liability and responsibility.

Conti764

Post by Conti764 »

We close our first semester of 2023 at -12 million euro, an improvement of 87% compared to the previous year. The first quarter ends up at -44 million euro - in line with expectations and seasonality of the aviation business - and the second quarter closes at 31 million euro Adjusted EBIT. The more stable fuel prices, the increasing demand and higher yields provide the confidence that we will reach solid black numbers for the whole of 2023.
Temporary financial results for 2023.

Source: https://press.brusselsairlines.com/brus ... usted-ebit

PopUp

Post by PopUp »

And Eurowings making a profit in the first half of 2023 (SN 12 million loss). I do not get it. But I must be very stupid :|

RoMax

Post by RoMax »

PopUp wrote: 06 Aug 2023, 14:22 And Eurowings making a profit in the first half of 2023 (SN 12 million loss). I do not get it. But I must be very stupid :|
I suggest you read the financial report, EW booked an adjusted EBIT of -34 Mio EUR (-2.9% margin) vs. the -12 Mio of SN (-1.6% margin).

PopUp

Post by PopUp »

Thanks for the clarification. I don't have time to read financial reports and probably, I would not understand them since I am not an economist. Forgive my ignorance. I founded my previous post on the short article here on Aviation24, saying Eurowings already profitable after the first half year 2023. Any further clarification is always welcome.
No problem.

convair

Post by convair »

PopUp wrote: 07 Aug 2023, 13:43 I founded my previous post on the short article here on Aviation24, saying Eurowings already profitable after the first half year 2023. Any further clarification is always welcome.
The title of the Eurowings article may be a little misleading; it probably meant that, as for SN, EW is becoming profitable after the first half year 2023 ( and even after the first quarter, for both of them!).

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

PopUp wrote: 07 Aug 2023, 13:43 Thanks for the clarification. I don't have time to read financial reports and probably, I would not understand them since I am not an economist. Forgive my ignorance. I founded my previous post on the short article here on Aviation24, saying Eurowings already profitable after the first half year 2023. Any further clarification is always welcome.
No problem.
Just to clarify: our article was based on a short Eurowings publication received through their RSS feed, in which Eurowings says to be profitable after 1st half of 2023. Eurowings though does not publish separate accounting figures: they are included in the Lufthansa Q2 detailed figures, a 43-page document in fine print and in Ferman, which we did not comment on; we only commented on the more general Lufthansa Group press release on Q2 results. They show that all Lufthansa Group passenger airlines achieved positive results in Q2.

After RoMax's comment, I retrieved the detailed figures, which are not mentioned in the press release, and they show indeed that Eurowings booked an EBIT of -34 million EUR for H1. Hence I guess that the Eurowings CEO wanted to state that his airline became profitable in the second quarter of 2023.

Edit: I saw that Convair came to the same conclusion while I was writing my reply
André
ex Sabena #26567

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Additional remark: the figures from the detailed 43-page Lufthansa report also contain other interesting information, like the size of the fleet at the end of H1 (click on the table below to increase the size)
LHGroup_Fleet_Jun23.JPG
The detailed financial figures are available here.
André
ex Sabena #26567

RoMax

Post by RoMax »

Just as a help for the future, they also publish everything in English: https://investor-relations.lufthansagro ... ports.html

The PR of Eurowings was indeed quite open for interpretation what they mean exactly. But that's why it's always best to just double-check with the split per airline in the actual financial report (it's well summarized in a short table per airline) --> but you have to know it's there of course :)

PopUp

Post by PopUp »

Thanks to everybody for the explanations !

oldblueeyes

Post by oldblueeyes »

Just asking the insiders, what is the growth scenario for SN?

Austrian is getting 1 additional 320NEO and 1 late CEO from LH, Edelweiss is getting a late CEO as well.

Are some 319 exits from the fleet postponed?

convair

Post by convair »

sn26567 wrote: 07 Aug 2023, 16:49 Additional remark: the figures from the detailed 43-page Lufthansa report also contain other interesting information, like the size of the fleet at the end of H1 (click on the table below to increase the size)

LHGroup_Fleet_Jun23.JPG

The detailed financial figures are available here.
Although the group is still in the reds, the improvement over Q1 of last year is remarkable, especially for Swiss that is the only airline to report a positive EBIT. And the forecast for the full year 2023 is encouraging for the whole group.

fcw

Post by fcw »

convair wrote: 08 Aug 2023, 15:30 Although the group is still in the reds, the improvement over Q1 of last year is remarkable, especially for Swiss that is the only airline to report a positive EBIT. And the forecast for the full year 2023 is encouraging for the whole group.
Don’t forget EBIT is before interest and tax! SN has a negative equity and has a consolidated loss of about 175 mio euro, the interests they have to pay must be considerable. Lets wait to see the net profit/loss before drawing conclusions.

crew1990

Post by crew1990 »

oldblueeyes wrote: 08 Aug 2023, 14:23 Just asking the insiders, what is the growth scenario for SN?

Austrian is getting 1 additional 320NEO and 1 late CEO from LH, Edelweiss is getting a late CEO as well.

So far there are 5 A320NEO planned for next year, 1 to be delivered in September, 2 in October, and 2 before the peak S24. How many A319 will leave no idea, how many A320ceo phase in no idea either. And as already mentioned numerous of time there is some very high chance to get a new A330 (still not confirmed but will soon be), as for new destination rumour seems to say it would be an historical one of Brussels Airlines and Sabena in Africa.

Just stay tuned, as insider we hear things we have some hint during meetings and diverse internal channel but at the end we don't know much more than you do ;)

DannyVDB

Post by DannyVDB »

crew1990 wrote: 09 Aug 2023, 02:21
oldblueeyes wrote: 08 Aug 2023, 14:23 Just asking the insiders, what is the growth scenario for SN?

So far there are 5 A320NEO planned for next year, 1 to be delivered in September, 2 in October, and 2 before the peak S24. How many A319 will leave no idea, how many A320ceo phase in no idea either. And as already mentioned numerous of time there is some very high chance to get a new A330 (still not confirmed but will soon be), as for new destination rumour seems to say it would be an historical one of Brussels Airlines and Sabena in Africa.

Just stay tuned, as insider we hear things we have some hint during meetings and diverse internal channel but at the end we don't know much more than you do ;)
So let the guessing start (for the A330) :lol:

Windhoek, Bangui, Libreville (although I think Sabena was flying there at some point in time), Dar Es Salaam, Lusaka, Lilongwe ... come to my mind. Of course the latter three are quite far away. Before I would have said Niamey and N'Djamena but in view of the political, social situation it is a no go ...

Cheers,
Danny

DannyVDB

Post by DannyVDB »

And also Windhoek is maybe to far away ...

DannyVDB

Post by DannyVDB »

Or maybe you meant the opposite: a destination that was already flown by Brussels Airlines and Sabena before. Then I would go for Nairobi or Libreville ...

D

Boeing767copilot

Post by Boeing767copilot »

crew1990 wrote: 09 Aug 2023, 02:21

There is just one historical of Brussels Airlines and Sabena in Africa:

- Nairobi. :) ;)