Brussels Airlines' fleet renewal

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

cathay belgium

Re: Replacement of Brussels Airlines' Boeing & Avro RJ fleet

Post by cathay belgium »

Hi,

When the arj100 will be phased out for Airbus aircraft, this means immediately that SN need to leave BMA for ARN !
Guess we can't expect a nice successor for this destinion and as stockholm is very needed in the SN destinations, because off a hugh lot of African transit- I noticed when I was taking this flight- !
So BMA out and ARN in !
Pity because BMA was so more conveniant !

CXB
New types flown 2022.. A339

convair

Post by convair »

convair wrote:
bruteboeing wrote:
convair wrote:Meanwhile, OO-DJP was feried very early this morning to Shannon for repaint in Ellin Air colors; (source: Skyliner, but flight can be seen on FR24 as SN9901).
According to Airfleets, Ellin Air (Greece) already operates ex-SN OO-DJZ.

End of an era!
wrong information i'm afraid. OO-DJP will stay in the fleet for a while longer

rgds
I assume you have better sources bruteboeing.
But do you know for what purpose it was ferried there? The plane stayed there the whole day, so it was not for a charter flight. SNN seems to be a regular "paintshop" destination; would SN want to repaint it at this stage?

Airfleets.fr now indicates OO-DJP is leaving SN fleet on Feb 1 and is expected to join Ellin Air fleet.

bruteboeing

Post by bruteboeing »

ferried for paint in to SN colour
Flown on: Boeing: 737 - 757 - 767- 777 | Avro: RJ85 RJ100 | MD-11 | L1011 | CRJ900 | Fokker 70 | Saab 2000

CTBke

Post by CTBke »

into which SN color? it's already painted into SN colours or do you mean re painting?

meanwhile found this footage of an ex Brussels Airlines RJ85 with the tail of Ellinair... not that original but nice though...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SPhjCF0brCA
Citybird
The flying dream

JOVAN

Post by JOVAN »

tolipanebas wrote:FWIW, all RJs will be gone by April 2016.
For its successor, I refer to the posts I made before.

So Toli,
How many more Airbus can we expect ??

CTBke

Post by CTBke »

only one airbus is still on order ex Air France CN1885/ F-GKXF
Citybird
The flying dream

Flanker2

Post by Flanker2 »

It's quite surprising to me that SN will replace its entire fleet of RJ100's by A319/A320.

I think that it's a better choice than to go ahead with CS100's because I see commonality and lower capital cost off-setting any fuel burn advantages that the CS100 could bring at the cost of lower seat count.
The additional seats of the A319 will be at no or little additional cost compared to a 100 seat CS100.

It would also enable to better defend the markets they are in by saturating the routes they are on, making it difficult for new entrants.

The risk is in the high cost of operating thin routes with large aircraft. FR is no stranger to that but can SN handle it?

Malaysia

Post by Malaysia »

CTBke wrote:only one airbus is still on order ex Air France CN1885/ F-GKXF
To become OO-SNG

convair

Post by convair »

I still believe there is room for a small number of turboprops for the thin short routes (maybe still on wet-lease basis) for another 5-6 years.
By the time the 12 (or 13?) Avros disappear they will hopefully have become a little too small for a number of destinations; hence their partial replacement by A319/320s (possibly 6-7).
The problem seems to be for the thin routes of over 2 hours turboprop flight: for these routes, turboprops are too slow and jets are too big. An option would be to extend the lease of a few Avros by 1 or 2 years while progressively introducing a small fleet of 10-12 CSeries that LH seems to favour, while withdrawing the last RJs and the turboprops.

Comments welcome.

bruteboeing

Post by bruteboeing »

CTBke wrote:into which SN color? it's already painted into SN colours or do you mean re painting?

meanwhile found this footage of an ex Brussels Airlines RJ85 with the tail of Ellinair... not that original but nice though...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SPhjCF0brCA
Yep, indeed. Just a repaint into the same colours. It first wenth trough he's heavy check in the UK, and is in Shannon for a fresh coat of paint into SN colours.

heard that DJP will take over some routes that the -8 did after the contract ends... not sure about this though...
Flown on: Boeing: 737 - 757 - 767- 777 | Avro: RJ85 RJ100 | MD-11 | L1011 | CRJ900 | Fokker 70 | Saab 2000

Konus

Post by Konus »

Isn't SX-EMI Ellin Air not the old OO-DJZ Brussels Airlines ? :?:

crew1990

Post by crew1990 »

Just seen on the BRU airport website that SN is recruiting some FO and Captain for the Avro. It looks like it not yet this year that the jmbolinos will be phased out.

Omychron

Post by Omychron »

crew1990 wrote:Just seen on the BRU airport website that SN is recruiting some FO and Captain for the Avro. It looks like it not yet this year that the jmbolinos will be phased out.
They are recruiting on temporary contracts only. It's mainly to catch the summer season peak, I would think.
They're doing the same on MH Airbus sector.

Flanker2

Post by Flanker2 »

I know that the job market is desperate but aren't these conditions a bit restrictive?

They ask a type rating while offering a temporary contract, sounds like they're trying to replace contractors by hiring in-house.
Yet captains are in high demand and hence will not miss another opportunity for a temporary contract at SN which will tie them for at least 6 weeks, if there are no prospects beyond the summer.

On the FO side any A320 rated unemployed frozen ATPL will jump to the opportunity, but I doubt that there are many unemployed FO's with current Avro RJ ratings out there. JAF had (or has?) little problems hiring FO's, selling them a B737NG TR and thanking them for their services after the summer, but here SN already requires the TR...

SFM

Post by SFM »

OO-DJP now over the UK, coming from SNN as BEL9902.

OO-ITR

Post by OO-ITR »

When will the phase out of the RJ100 start?

RoMax

Post by RoMax »

OO-ITR wrote:When will the phase out of the RJ100 start?
I just read this in a Trends article: "Dit jaar zal de vloot versneld worden aangepast, tegen 1 april gaan twee Avro-toestellen eruit. Ze worden vervangen door Airbussen A319, wat de efficiëntie nog moet verhogen."
So it says that by the first of April, two Avro jets will leave the fleet, being replaced by two A319's which will increase the efficiency.

http://trends.knack.be/economie/belga-e ... 250322.htm

convair

Post by convair »

To the moderators...

I do not understand why several posts of today were deleted from this thread, including 1 of tolipanebas and 2 of mine (sorry I don't remember all of them)! They were all right on topic, concerning SN's short/medium-haul fleet!

At least 10 posts missing (from SFM's post yesterday pm to 00-ITR's post this pm!

Censored? Technical problem?

Sorry, just noticed the posts have been transferred to another thread! Would have been good to post the information on this one too though!
Last edited by convair on 30 Jan 2014, 19:24, edited 1 time in total.

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

convair wrote:To the moderators...

I do not understand why several posts of today were deleted from this tread, including 1 of tolipanebas and 2 of mine (sorry I don't remember all of them)! They were all right on topic, concerning SN's short/medium-haul fleet!

At least 10 posts missing (from SFM's post yesterday pm to 00-ITR's post this pm!

Censored? Technical problem?

Sorry, just noticed the posts have been transferred to another thread! Would have been good to post the information on this one too though!
As you correctly noted, all the posts related to today's press conference have been transferred to the dedicated topic.
André
ex Sabena #26567

quixoticguide

Post by quixoticguide »

cathay belgium wrote:Hi,

When the arj100 will be phased out for Airbus aircraft, this means immediately that SN need to leave BMA for ARN !
Guess we can't expect a nice successor for this destinion and as stockholm is very needed in the SN destinations, because off a hugh lot of African transit- I noticed when I was taking this flight- !
So BMA out and ARN in !
Pity because BMA was so more conveniant !

CXB
Lex, maybe they can ask TF to operate the BMA-BRU route.
Visit my flights on: http://www.quixoticguide.com