VFR to Brussels

A forum to discuss all aviation items (not for latest aviation news and military aviation news)

Moderator: Latest news team

andelins

VFR to Brussels

Post by andelins »

I am planning to go on business to downtown Brussels, this time flying VFR from Finland on a DA-40. I appreciate any tips and hints on best airports/airfields to use in the vicinity + general ideas about best VFR routings in from the direction of northern Germany. I am planning an intermediate stop in the Kiel/Lübeck area.

AFAIK, Belgian ATC is reported to be very helpful to VFR traffic, but appreciate any help you can give.

arianne

Re: VFR to Brussels

Post by arianne »

The closest GA field from Brussels is Grimbergen (EBGB, 600m grass rwy!), it's a very nice airfield on sunny days. Crossing them CTRs/TMAs (EHEH and EBAW probably) shouldn't be a problem. In case you need a longer runway, you could also land in Antwerp (EBAW), 40kms north or Charleroi (EBCI), 60kms south of the capital and rather uglier. Don't hesitate to ask more questions, I think there are quite a few PPLs around ;)

DIBO

Re: VFR to Brussels

Post by DIBO »

EBGB is the closest (as already posted) but few transport facilities (no taxi's waiting outside the terminal, -there is no terminal- ;-) , no car rentals, etc.). So only an option if your business correspondents will pick you up at the airfield.
Coming from the north, EBAW is the most logical destination (regional airport with all facilities). If your final destination is easiest reached by train, then it's a 5min. taxi ride to Antwerpen-Berchem station with direct connections (40' ride) to Brussels' main trainstations.
About your routing , can't help you much, sorry! Only advice, on weekdays north-east Belgium has active military traffic, so get in touch early with Brussels Information on 126,9 !