REK-AEY (and return) on FI

Share your experiences about your latest flights: details and pictures are highly appreciated by our community. How do you rate airlines, in-flight meals, frequent flyer programs, etc... join this forum now!
Comet

REK-AEY (and return) on FI

Post by Comet »

How many of you reading this know what route REK-AEY is? Well, this is the last of my reports on internal Icelandic flights. REK relates to Reykjavik domestic airport and AEY is Akureyri. (More about Akureyri in City Guide, but I will say that it is the largest town in northern Iceland).

These were my last flights in the Fokker 27 "Friendship" aircraft. My next domestic flights in Iceland would be operated by the Fokker 50 which replaced the Fokker 27 in the domestic fleet.

The flight to Akureyri took place in the morning. Our aircraft was TF-FLM (I don't remember the flight number).

TF-FLM is loaded up prior to the flight in Reykjavik.

I had a window seat on the aircraft, but, as the Fokker 27 (and now the Fokker 50) were four abreast, this was not difficult. It is the only way to fly over Iceland though because the scenery is superb and the flying is quite hair-raising sometimes!

We had a smooth take off and headed north. The beauty of the Fokker 27 was the large window size compared to the Fokker 50, though when you see both aircraft together side by side, the Fokker 27 shows its age and looks more primitive with its large oval windows, four bladed properller and single nose wheel! Both, however, are truly superb and under-rated aircraft.

Photo taken as we were at cruising altitude. The dark area at the top of the photos is the engine. That is one good thing about the Fokker props - the engines do not obscure the view too much like you get with many jet types!

The service on board was basic but friendly. As it was a short flight of only around 45 minutes, there was no food service but soft drinks were offered. My Mum had coffee and I had orange juice.

This is the first view of Akureyri Airport, which is the buildings on the left of the picture.

The approach into Akureyri was interesting. The airport lies along a fjord with mountains nearby. The aircraft did a sharp turn over the fjord (look through one window and you see the waters of the fjord below you, look through the other window and you only see the sky!)

The aircraft is on final approach in this photo. It also gives some idea of the downward slope attitude the Fokker props display when they come into land (also known as the nose dive approach!)

This photo was taken a few seconds later and shows the landing gear doors just beginning to open.

The landing was smooth but good fun, and the weather on arrival was very sunny (and warm for northern Iceland!)

TF-FLM is unloaded in Akureyri.

This is a small aircraft belonging to local regional carrier Flugfelag Nordurlands.

Slightly out of focus for the Fokker 27 on take off run, but this gives some idea of the terrain surrounding Akureyri Airport. Note the mountains!

The return journey was a bit of a nightmare! We had been staying in Myvatn, a large lake area which is reached by bus from Akureyri. We were booked on a bus to take us back to AEY from Myvatn, but what no one told us was that it was an excursion which just stopped outside the airport for people to leave the bus, it was not a dedicated airport service. So when the bus arrived to collect us (there were several others there apart from me and VC10) they told us that not everyone would be able to go!! So we kicked up a fuss, telling them that we were booked on a flight, and would they be prepared to pay for us to have another night of accommodation in Myvatn and also to pay for us to go on another flight? We got on the bus anyway because we had booked the bus transfer months in advance and we were not prepared to miss our flights because of the local incompetence! We eventually reached Akureyri Airport and checked in.

This time we went on Fokker 27 TF-FLO.

Boarding in Akureyri.

The flight was again smooth, and I had orange juice to drink.

A view of northern Iceland.

Taken just as we were about to land in Reykjavik. It was a little sunnier than when we had left cloudy Akureyri behind!

Taken after leaving the aircraft. The Captain is just coming down the aircraft steps, putting his jacket on.

I missed the fun of the Fokker 27 when it had been withdrawn from the Icelandair fleet. Now the domestic fleet is a mix of the Fokker 50, also the ATR (I think) and also maybe some Dorniers, but at one time it was entirely Fokker.

Next Icelandair reports will be international flights.
Sabena and Sobelair - gone but never forgotten.
Louise

Comet

Post by Comet »

Here is a better view of TF-FLM. I think the aircraft is called "Dagfari". At that time, all the Icelandair aircraft had names ending in "fari" such as "Fronfari", "Heimfari" and another one was "Vorfari". When the fleet was renewed with the Boeing 737-400, the Boeing 757 and the Fokker 50, the aircraft were given "goddess" names.

Louise

sn26567

Re: REK-AEY (and return) on FI

Post by sn26567 »

Thanks for excellent illustrated report, Louise. As usual, I can add.
Comet wrote:REK relates to Reykjavik domestic airport and AEY is Akureyri.
In fact REK refers to the city of Reykjavik (like NYC to New York City), which has two airports: Keflavik (KEF) and Reykjavik airport (RKV).
Comet wrote:Our aircraft was TF-FLM (I don't remember the flight number).
FI does not fly the route anymore. Now it is operated by NY (Air Iceland) with F50s and SWMs.
André
ex Sabena #26567

Comet

Post by Comet »

Andre - thanks alot for your comments and also the extra info, I really didn't know that. Things have changed since I last went to Iceland :oops:

I don't know much about Air Iceland. When I last flew domestic in Iceland, the flights had the FI code and the aircraft wore the titles "Flugleidir". The livery was almost identical to the Icelandair livery of the time, though I think at one point the Fokker 27s had a black "mask" over the top of the nose to the flightdeck window. When I was last in Iceland the main domestic fleet (as opposed to small regional carriers) was entirely Fokker 50 (all the 27s had been sold off by then).

I know the three letter codes have been used for both domestic and international airports, but I never saw the RKV code, it was always REK when I did the flights, but when we checked in for international flights from the UK to Iceland we saw both KEF and REK labels going onto our checked baggage.

But thanks again for the update and current information.
Louise

Comet

Post by Comet »

For more information on Akureyri Airport, hit the link below:

http://www.vortex.is/aviation/flugvellir/biak.html

Also, I read that Air Greenland had flights from Akureyri to Copenhagen in a Boeing 757. Now the approach in a larger aircraft onto that runway would have been very interesting indeed!
Louise

Avro

Post by Avro »

Thanks for this wonderful report Louise :)

AN124

Post by AN124 »

Great report louise.
The pictures you took out of the aircraft give ou a nice view from what you can expect when flying in Iceland.

Best Regards,
Yvo

Comet

Post by Comet »

Chris and Yvo - thanks for your compliments. I will miss writing about the Icelandic domestic flights because these reports were fun to compile - looking through all the photos we took from the aircraft and remembering how much fun the flying was in Iceland.

Some of the Icelandic local airports are very primitive and so the aircraft in the domestic fleet had to be quite tough, the Fokker props were ideal - being the perfect size for some of those difficult runways and approaches, and they seem to be ideally suited to the often harsh conditions in Iceland. I can recommend domestic Icelandic flying to any aviation enthusiast, especially try Isafjordur! The approach and climb away from that airport, surrounded by more mountains than Akureyri, is truly superb, but not for those who are nervous.

My next Icelandair report will be about LHR-KEF, which was my first flight with them, and really sticks in my mind!
Louise

AN124

Post by AN124 »

I'm already looking forward to that one Louise.

Best Regards,
Yvo