How many passengers for Brussels Airport in 2003 ?

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

ATC

How many passengers for Brussels Airport in 2003 ?

Post by ATC »

Does anybody got a clue how many PAX BRU had in 2003 ?
I gues between 14 mil. and 16 mil.

Greatings,
ATC

Flybe

Post by Flybe »

My guess is between 15 million and 15 500 000, i think for sure not more.

If i have to say 1 number i would say: 15 150 000 8)

I'm not involved in any of those things, but my numbers are based on the monthly rise of passengers (site BIAC)

Greets,

Pieter

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

With a little bit of patience, you will get the official figures from BIAC in a few days. Watch the Luchtzak latest news!
André
ex Sabena #26567

lumumba

Post by lumumba »

Hi everybody.
The total passagers in 2003 is 15200000.
Regards
Patrice

Badabing

Post by Badabing »

Here's a copy of BIAC's official press release :
Zaventem, 8 January 2004

Brussels Airport: continued recovery in 2003

In spite of the unfavourable conditions, traffic at Brussels Airport continued to recover. Last year too the aviation sector had to struggle against difficult market conditions. The long build-up to the war in Iraq and the war itself had an adverse effect on air traffic, whereas the connections with Asia and Canada seriously suffered from the SARS epidemic.

Compared to 2002 the total number of passengers increased by over 5% and totalled to 15,194,097. The number of movements (arrivals and departures) decreased by 1.8% to 252,249. This slight decrease in combination with the growing number of passengers indicates an improved aircraft occupancy rate.

Although the total number of passengers is still about 30% down on the figure of record year 2000, O&D traffic showed a marked recovery. 6,838,034 passengers started or ended their trip at Brussels Airport, a growth of 4.5 % compared to 2002. The number of O&D passengers is only 6,4 % below that of 2000. The loss of the hub activities of Sabena accounts for this difference. The airport registered 703,991 transfer passengers, a growth by over 20%. However, their number is still 80% down on that of 2000.

The number of aircraft movements (252,249) is still 22.6% down on 2000. With a total of 20,881 the number of night flights grew by 6.7% compared to 2002, but is still 10.7% lower than in 2000.

Taking account of the delicate situation of the world market, cargo operations were doing rather well in 2003. The cargo volume carried grew by 17.4% totalling to 603,737 tonnes (vs. 514,457 tonnes in 2002), which is only 12.2% down on record year 2000. With this result, Brussels Airport has consolidated its 5th place in the ranking of European airports with regard to cargo. The importance of the cargo activity for the Belgian economy as a whole and for employment on and around the airport in particular can hardly be overestimated. Cargo traffic at Brucargo was boosted considerably in the past few months as a number of Asian airlines, including EVA and Singapore Airlines, increased the frequency of their full-cargo flights. For the first times since the events of 11 September 2001, the cargo volume handled was superior to the record figures that were registered before.

Brussels Airport currently offers a wide range of destinations both for passengers and cargo. Never before did the airport serve as many direct destinations in Europe, including the ten countries that are to join the Union in May. Today, the development of the long-haul network and the further opening up of the airport by rail, are the major challenges for the airport.

In the course of 2003, BIAC and the entire airport community joined forces to implement a quality improvement programme. The airport remained operational all through the year, even in the hardest weather conditions.

Flybe

Post by Flybe »

Hehe, not a bad guess, if i may say so myself :lol:

Good news for the airport, hope to see passengers rise to somewhere between 16,5 MIO and 17 MIO in 2004! And let's hope we see some more long haul flights (Asia would be nice) and cargo! So let's hope that DHL can stay!

Greets,

Pieter

ATC

Post by ATC »

Good news for the airport, hope to see passengers rise to somewhere between 16,5 MIO and 17 MIO in 2004! And let's hope we see some more long haul flights (Asia would be nice) and cargo! So let's hope that DHL can stay!
My point to.
Weither if Brussels can expand or not will depend on the attitude of the belgian government. If they rule wrong, I'm convinced that BRU will become a small national aiport without any international meaning.
I hope they will rule wisely... so BRU can expand with DHL, SN, Virgin, ...
Lett us pray that 2004 will be a fantastic belgian aviation year.

greatings,
ATC

DannyVDB

Post by DannyVDB »

Flybe wrote:Hehe, not a bad guess, if i may say so myself :lol:

Greets,

Pieter
Hi Flybe,

I would also like to see more pax at BRU. But I think 16,5-17,0 is a little too optimistic. With what we know (e.g. the new flight BRU-New York of AA and growth of other airlines), I assume +5% like this year is feasible, but not much more (don't forget SNBA doesn't plan to extend services - i.e. more planes). So 16,0 to 16,2 million would be good. On the other hand I expect a spectacular increase of Cargo (EVA and Singapore only started their additional flights late 2003.

Danny

Avro

Post by Avro »

I agree with you Danny.
BTW we also have to take in account that there are some airlines like Air Mauritius that are unfortunately leaving BRU :!:

Chris
8)

Flybe

Post by Flybe »

Indeed, Danny, you're probably right. I'm hoping at an increase of 10%, but i guess that that will be extremly hard to achieve... But still i hope for 16,5 MIO 8)

But realisticly speaking, it will be very hard indeed, because it will have to come mainly from long haul, since BIAC states that the short haul (meaning within the enlarged EU) is better then ever, so not so much growth opportunity there.

Cargo: that's also my bet, but much will depend on what the government decided about DHL... I think that they account for a very large part of the cargo at BRU. But if they can stay (and preferably expand) i think we will see BRU rising in the statistics of ACI!

Chris, Air Mauritius is leaving, that's a sad thing, but also consider the following:

They leave because of low passanger numbers, and it was a once weekly flight, so all together it won't account for such a big loss for BRU, i guess. The extra flight from AA will be a daily service, so it will more the offset that loss. Although i agree that it will be a pity not having Air Mauritius anymore in BRU.

Greets,

Pieter

Avro

Post by Avro »

Flybe wrote:
Chris, Air Mauritius is leaving, that's a sad thing, but also consider the following:
Pieter,

I know that they only operated once weekly, but it was an example. I just wanted to point out that there will also be airlines that will leave during 2004. This has also to be taken in account

Greetz
Chris
8)

Flybe

Post by Flybe »

You're right Chris, there will be also airlines leaving BRU, let's just hope that not too many of them decide to do that! And especially not long haul flights, since there aren't many left anymore 8)
Let's all hope for the best for BRU!

Greets,

Pieter