Easy Jet hit the wall in Turkey!!!

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

hakan

Easy Jet hit the wall in Turkey!!!

Post by hakan »

It looks like Easy Jet hit the wall in Turkey as their web site stopped selling tickets for flights between London Luton and Istanbul Sabiha Gokcen Airport which supposed to start on 29.June.2006.

The following error message comes if you want to buy a ticket for this route:

Sorry, but seats on this route are not currently available. [css03]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Flights between London Luton and Istanbul will be back on sale as soon as possible subject to approval from the Turkish civil aviation authorities.

This is going to be very interesting!!!!!! :?: 8O

Has anyone heard anything?

Mercutio

Post by Mercutio »

This is very annoying! I booked EasyJet to Istanbul on the first day that the tickets came on sale. I got an excellent price (£57 return from London including all taxes and fees) for the 4th-11th July. I now anticipate some email informing me that I will not be able to go to Istanbul in July as planned after all. :(

hakan

Post by hakan »

Let's hope Easy Jet will get the relevant permission before the planned launch (29/6/06)!! So the passengers who already purchased tickets as well as potential passengers like me don't get disadvantaged from this situation.

afrikair

Post by afrikair »

At today date EZY does not get rights to fly to Turkey and EZS has the rights to fly from Basel ! flights started.
Swiss "orange" seems better than english one in flighte rights negociations :lol: :lol: :lol:
Wait and see and hope situation will be clarified soon

hakan

Post by hakan »

Just read in the Turkish civil aviation authority's website that Easy Jet has been granted three day a week (every saturday-sunday and monday) flight permission from London Luton to Istanbul Sabiha Gokcen International despite they have applied permission for daily flights.
I hope this will ease the stress of the passengers who bought the tickets before. At least, for time being, they can fly to Istanbul until Easy Jet can persuade the Turkish authorities for daily flights.
:lol:

Mercutio

Post by Mercutio »

^ I'm glad you find this amusing. Unfortunately I don't as I have paid for my flights already. It's my hard-earned cash! My outbound flight is on the 4th July and my inbound flight on the 11th of July (ie both Tuesdays - days on which Easyjet has no permission to fly).

earthman

Post by earthman »

Perhaps easyJet should not have been selling seats on flights before it had permission to actually fly those flights.

hakan

Post by hakan »

I agree with earthman. It looks like Easy Jet started selling tickets and made reservations before was granted permission to fly to Istanbul. I hope they will compensate passengers like Mercutio as now he has to change the date he supposed to fly.

Stepha380

Post by Stepha380 »

It looks like Easy Jet started selling tickets and made reservations before was granted permission to fly to Istanbul
Easyjet did the same on Paris-Orly Ajaccio (Corsica) in April. The French aviation authority refused to grant a permission to fly because the line is an OSP (Obligation de Service Public), i.e the government gives money to AF and CCM to sustain a regular service between France and Corsica. This contract is valid until 2009.
People had been refunded.

Does anybody know a translation for "OSP" ? Thanks.

airazurxtror

Post by airazurxtror »

In French : OSP , Obligation de Service Public
In English : PSO , Public Service Obligation.
The Italian are also adept of "Oneri di Servizio Pubblico", e.g. to Sardegna.

airazurxtror

Post by airazurxtror »

A consolation for the boss : Stelios Hani-Ioannou, the founder of easyJet, has been knighted (in the Queen's 80th birthday honor list ) - he is thus now Sir Stelios !

Stepha380

Post by Stepha380 »

In English : PSO , Public Service Obligation.
Thanks airazurtror

Mercutio

Post by Mercutio »

EasyJet have now contacted me by email and offered me either a full refund or alternatively they offer to "reimburse the cost of... [my] ticket less the amount refunded" - whatever that means. They also say they will continue trying to get permission for the flights as originally scheduled. I think I will wait for a couple of weeks, and if they still haven't got permission, I will ask for my refund then.

Stepha380

Post by Stepha380 »

I will ask for my refund then
Or ask for an upgrade on the next flight. LOL

sab319
Location: Mortsel, antwerp, Flanders, Belgium, Europe, Earth, Milky way

Post by sab319 »

Stepha380 wrote:
I will ask for my refund then
Or ask for an upgrade on the next flight. LOL

you can't upgrade on Easyjet, there's only 1 class...

Stepha380

Post by Stepha380 »

you can't upgrade on Easyjet, there's only 1 class...
LOL means " It's a joke"

Definition of LOL found in Urban Dictionnary:
It's original definition was "Laughing out loud" (also written occasionally as "Lots of Laughs"), used as a brief acronym to denote great amusement in chat conversations.

hakan

Post by hakan »

I can understand the weather, strike, heavy traffic etc which they can't control or predict, but something like selling tickets without gaining permission to fly should give the right to the passenger to claim compensantion. What is EJ did was a bad planning and they took risk thinking that everything would be OK. I think Mercutio should ask for compensation and take his case to the Fair Trading Dept. in the U.K.

pblit

Easy Jet Flying to Turkey??????????

Post by pblit »

I'm also waiting to see what happens with all of this as I have already bought my flight to Trukey and have already bought other connecting flights which would be affected by this.

Hey hakan, you stated that easyjet is allowed to fly to Turkey on Saturdays, Sundays and mondays only, could you please tell me where you found this information?

I'm asking because if you try to buy a flight on one of these days the easyjet website still replies that you cannot buy this flight at this time and assuming that they are as money-hungry as I think they are it seems odd.

thanks

I really hope they solve this problem quick 'cause they're going to ruin my trip.

hakan

Post by hakan »

Hey Pblit,

I have read that info on Turkish Civil Aviation Authority's web site. Here is the shortcut but unfortunately in Turkish:

http://www.shgm.gov.tr/index2.html

or I copied the annoncument for you:

Easy Jet’in İngiltere – Türkiye ( Luton – Sabiha Gökçen ) uçuşlarına izin verildi.
Easy Jet Cumartesi - Pazar – Pazartesi olmak üzere, haftada 3 gün Türkiye’ye uçuş gerçekleştirecektir.

I understand 1st, 2nd, 3rd July flights are definetely on, but not sure about the other dates. There are rumors that the negotiations are still going on between the company and the authorities.

pblit

Post by pblit »

Thanks hakan

My turkish isn't good enough to understand but thanks for the link

I've actually bought tickets to Turkey on August 21st (monday) and back to London on Sept. 9th (saturday). hopefully by then it'll be all resolved