Brussels Airlines adventure in Africa

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

lumumba

Post by lumumba »

Hi here some news from FIH.
1.The name of the new company could be it's a proposition:AiRDC.
2.In December they start 7 flight's a week to FIH 3 via Douala 2 via Yaounde 1 via Luanda(Return flight is nob-stop) and 1 nonstop on Tuesday.
3.For the international flight's they will do JNB BRZ LOS LAD from FIH and also from Lubumbashi to JNB.
Regards
Patrice
Last edited by lumumba on 22 Sep 2007, 19:47, edited 1 time in total.
Hasta la victoria siempre.

Darjeeling

Post by Darjeeling »

lumumba wrote:Hi here some news from FIH.
1.The name of the new company could be it's a proposition:AiRDC.
2.In December they start 7 flight's a week to FIH 3 via Douala 2 via Yaounde 1 via Luanda(Return flight is nob-stop) and 1 nonstop on Tuesday.
3.For the international flight's they will do JHB BRZ LOS LAD from FIH and also from Lubumbashi to JHB.
Regards
Patrice
Correct info.
Unfortunately, they have dropped the idea to have more non-stop flights to FIH.

Air Key West

Post by Air Key West »

Which is probably a very bad idea : a flight to FIH with a stop en route and then connect to another flight at FIH. Forget it.
In favor of quality air travel.

Air Key West

Post by Air Key West »

Hi Lumumba : is it you proposal or do you have a source for the new name of the airline : AirRCD ? If you pronounce it in French (the main administrative language in DRC) you get air air d c. A lot of "air"s.
As I have already said, given b.air's participation in the venture, would it not be more appropriate to opt for "kinshasa airlines" on the model of "brussels airlines" ? Just out of curiosity : oneone having other (serious) ideas for a name (or insider information that may "leak out") ?

lumumba

Post by lumumba »

Hi Key West.
I can not give more about where I get this info from but it's very close to it.
AiRDC is agood name un jeux de mot in french.
Regards
Patrice

FLY4HOURS.BE

Post by FLY4HOURS.BE »

Yeah I like it, but it's a bit confusing when people talk between them:RDC or AirDC?

AIR RDC would be better because those who speak French would talk about it as if it were initials: "RRDC" and they will now when talking that they are talking about the airline and not the country.

Cheers
Fly4hours, making the path to airline pilot affordable to all

Air Key West

Post by Air Key West »

I still find Air RDC sounds very bureaucratic and they would probably just put Air RDC on the tail. Nothing appealing (let alone "sexy"). I must have to much imagination, but I would prefer them to opt for, for instance" Air Leopard, Air Gazelle, Cob Air (referring to the country's rich fauna) and putting a representation (a good picture) of the animal on the tail of the aircraft. To me it would be much more colourful than the dull Air RDC (and what if the political leaders suddenly decided to change the name of the country like Mobutu did with Zaire ?).

lumumba

Post by lumumba »

Hi Key West.
It's not Air Rdc it's AiRDC like RDC you pronounce it RDC.
Ciaooo
Patrice

Air Key West

Post by Air Key West »

Thanks Patrice. MY mistake !

LX-LGX

Index of African Governance: Mauritius = nr 1

Post by LX-LGX »

"The Ibrahim Index measures the degree to which essential political goods are provided within the forty-eight African countries south of the Sahara. The 2007 Ibrahim Index uses data from 2005, the last year with reasonably complete available data for nearly all sub-Saharan African nation-states."

Mauritius, where the new company (airline) will be registered, has nr 1 overall ranking:

http://www.moibrahimfoundation.org/index/index2.asp

C_J

Re: Index of African Governance: Mauritius = nr 1

Post by C_J »

LX-LGX wrote:Mauritius, where the new company (airline) will be registered, has nr 1 overall ranking.
Congo, where the new company will operate, has nr 30 ranking...

Sikiri

Re: Index of African Governance: Mauritius = nr 1

Post by Sikiri »

C_J wrote: Congo, where the new company will operate, has nr 30 ranking...
Euhm, it's even worse. the DRC is on number 47 of a total of 48, just before Somalia! Congo on number 30 is "Brazaville", i guess.

LX-LGX

Post by LX-LGX »

The situation is not worsening in Congo: it's that bad for years and years already. But meanwhile, Sabena, SN Brussels Airlines (Birdy) and Brussels Airlines keep on sending planes there.

(The Mo Ibrahim Foundation index is not an aviation safety list, but an "Index of African Governance".)

OrientThai

Post by OrientThai »

:arrow: http://www.lesoftonline.net/pages/phil.php?id=1107

Apparently the new company will be indeed named AirDC.
According to this article the new airline will operate four Bae 146s and two B737-800s. The Bae 146 would mainly fly domestic routes while the B738 would fly regional routes to countries like South Africa, Angola, Nigeria...
The BRU-FIH route will be flown daily with two flights being non-stop while the remaining five flights will be via Douala or Yaoundé (so thats mean the LAD-FIH sector is scrapped? That would be logical as it would be more comfortable for the passengers going to FIH and those bound for LAD would enjoy greater flexibility with the new connecting flights from FIH).
This article is also saying that in the future SN is planning to fly to FIH non stop daily!
Its finally nice to see that one of the African project is taking shape :!: