Reopening Brussels Airport after the 22/03/2016 terror attacks

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

nordikcam

Re: Reopening Brussels Airport after the 22/03/2016 terror attacks

Post by nordikcam »

Tompompier wrote:
evyncke wrote:I do not mind the tent by itself as a temporary building but getting this on road useless inspection (lost 10 minutes late morning at 11:00!) + queuing before the pre-check (5 minutes) is really a lost of time and create a feeling of insecurity.

Next booking will be DUS again :-( even if I feel bad for all workers working hard in the BRU)
Oh boy... Drama... :o :o :o :o
:D + 1...

Passenger

Post by Passenger »

A polite warning for those who will switch Brussels Airport to Amsterdam Schiphol Airport to win 15 minutes:

The Easyjet based at AMS pilots have announced they are preparing a wildcat strike. The Dutch EZY pilots held an announced strike last Tuesday (06h00-14h00), but Easyjet had sent non-Dutch pilots to AMS. Hence not one flight was cancelled. Next strike will therefore not be announced.

http://www.volkskrant.nl/economie/easyj ... ~a4320389/

b720

Post by b720 »

It is not the 5 or 30 min. Lost, it is the whole negative atmosphere from the minute one arrives to the check point till one gets to the connector. The check point, the military, the full parking, the walk to the tent, the horrible tent, and more military, the terminal full of more military... One feels like entering a war zone. The airport has been attacked, no doubt.. But those running the show are still not ble to move on..it is a very very negative experience, to say the least.

Passenger

Post by Passenger »

b720 wrote:It is not the 5 or 30 min. Lost, it is the whole negative atmosphere from the minute one arrives to the check point till one gets to the connector. The check point, the military, the full parking, the walk to the tent, the horrible tent, and more military, the terminal full of more military... One feels like entering a war zone. The airport has been attacked, no doubt.. But those running the show are still not ble to move on..it is a very very negative experience, to say the least.
There is little that Brussels Airport can do about it:

1. The Belgian safety board OCAD/OCAM keeps the country on high safety level 3 (on 4)

2. The trade unions from the Police don't want to admit that they've abused the above safety level for salary/staff demands. So we'll have to wait for safety level 2 - which will then give the trade unions a possibility to land.

Airbus A330

Post by Airbus A330 »

Hello everybody,

I will fly BRU - LIS on Monday (STD 1845) and I have a little question about the "Kiss & ride" inside the car parks.

How does it work :?:
Is there a dedicated part of the car park where cars dropping / picking up people can stop or drivers have to find an available place, dropping the person, running to the payment machines if we are parked far from them to validate the ticket and running back to the car to be able to leave the car park for free (within 15 minutes) :?:

thalenoi

Post by thalenoi »

Airbus A330 wrote:Hello everybody,

I will fly BRU - LIS on Monday (STD 1845) and I have a little question about the "Kiss & ride" inside the car parks.

How does it work :?:
Is there a dedicated part of the car park where cars dropping / picking up people can stop or drivers have to find an available place, dropping the person, running to the payment machines if we are parked far from them to validate the ticket and running back to the car to be able to leave the car park for free (within 15 minutes) :?:
Not that I know of....
I had 2 suitcases on wheels and my cabin-case also on wheels.
My gf drove up 2 levels beyond the lock or whatever parking, drove towards the front and I saw two abandoned trolleys somewhere, I asked to be dropped of right there, got some help offloading the bags and kissed sadly goodby and was on my way to the very negative experience at the pre-check tent where I had to lift my bags to 1m hight metal detector band with no help in sight from airport personnel and dis-grunted soldiers. If only they had the brains to provide a low metal detector band as you see everywhere for cabin bagage checks, or have staff to care of elderly or people with difficulties.
No more trolleys where to be seen from where I was dropped to outside the precheck tent (which I had to get myself in the rain to continue to the departure hall)

sean1982

Post by sean1982 »

make them drop you at P58 and take the free bus to the terminal ;) no hassle at all :)

Freken

Post by Freken »

Airbus A330 wrote:Is there a dedicated part of the car park where cars dropping / picking up people can stop or drivers have to find an available place, dropping the person, running to the payment machines if we are parked far from them to validate the ticket and running back to the car to be able to leave the car park for free (within 15 minutes) :?:
There is a dedicated Kiss & Ride zone in all car parks, but I highly recommend using Parking 1, very close to the terminal, or 2, which was recently refurbished and has the full 5th level dedicated to drop off relatives.

Your ticket will need to be validated at a ticket machine, but if you do this in 15 minutes after your arrival it should be free of charge.

BRU

Post by BRU »

I drove out without validating my ticket to a machine, within the 15 minute time frame.

lumumba

Post by lumumba »

b720 wrote:It is not the 5 or 30 min. Lost, it is the whole negative atmosphere from the minute one arrives to the check point till one gets to the connector. The check point, the military, the full parking, the walk to the tent, the horrible tent, and more military, the terminal full of more military... One feels like entering a war zone. The airport has been attacked, no doubt.. But those running the show are still not ble to move on..it is a very very negative experience, to say the least.
That's the exact feeling that's totally correct and very well expressed...
Hasta la victoria siempre.

HQ_BRU_Lover

Post by HQ_BRU_Lover »

You drive in any carpark you want, get your ticket, drop off your relatives, drive out to the exit and insert the same ticket if your visit stays below 15 minutes. So basically one must not leave his/her car.
The only difference with the old kiss & rid is that you now drop off passengers in a dull parking-lot instead of before the elegant airport-building.

Airbus A330

Post by Airbus A330 »

Perfect! :)
Thank you all for your kind advices / explanations! ;)

Freken

Post by Freken »

BRU wrote:I drove out without validating my ticket to a machine, within the 15 minute time frame.
Then those Interparking bastards made me run without any reason. Poor me :lol:

flightlover

Post by flightlover »

Freken wrote:
BRU wrote:I drove out without validating my ticket to a machine, within the 15 minute time frame.
Then those Interparking bastards made me run without any reason. Poor me :lol:
Any parking lot will give you at least 10 min to find a spot or exit if there are some selfish drivers taking double the space allowed. As this is sometimes not picked up by the digital parking signs at the entrance, if there is any.

convair

Post by convair »

What would be the problem to extend the 15 minutes "grace" period to 30' or even to 1 hour, so as to eliminate that rush feeling? People will not stay there more than necessary; and many don't even use a parking space anyway.

Passenger

Post by Passenger »

"Share our Smile": tourists surprised at Brussels Airport

"The Share our Smile" campaign was highlighted on Sunday morning as the Flemish Tourism Minister Ben Weyts (N-VA) welcomed tourists at Brussels Airport with a goodie bag. Visitors received a bag with chocolate, beer, a day ticket for the Flemish public transport company De Lijn and... a big smile from the minister himself. To add to the atmosphere, singer-songwriter Milow performed in the airport buildings.

(photo Belga - VRT)

(photo Belga - VRT)

Video report VRT - in English:
http://deredactie.be/cm/vrtnieuws.engli ... /1.2688901

Article VRT - in Dutch:
http://deredactie.be/cm/vrtnieuws/binnenland/1.2688718

Video report VRT - in Dutch:
http://deredactie.be/cm/vrtnieuws/video ... =1.2688757

lumumba

Post by lumumba »

Nice :-) :-) :-)
Hasta la victoria siempre.

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

How many bags of goodies did he distribute? (Thanks to the Flemish taxpayer ;) )
André
ex Sabena #26567

Passenger

Post by Passenger »

sn26567 wrote:How many bags of goodies did he distribute? (Thanks to the Flemish taxpayer ;) )
Just 500. Plus another 60.000 buttons "Share our Smile" and 25.000 "doorhangers", mostly distributed to hotel guests.

BRUpilot

Post by BRUpilot »

2 questions:

1. Is the airport now fully operational? And by this I mean the amount of flights: Is every airline operating like it was before 22/03?

2. Can you access the departure hall when you don't have a ticket? I would actually like to see it now that it's fully open again...