Reopening Brussels Airport after the 22/03/2016 terror attacks

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

lumumba

Re: Reopening Brussels Airport after the 22/03/2016 terror attacks

Post by lumumba »

Bullshit this 40 minutes Mr Feist
My father dropped my at the airport today only to arrive at drop off zone we lost 40 minutes....
Really very bad service airport.
Hasta la victoria siempre.

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

lumumba wrote:Bullshit this 40 minutes Mr Feist
My father dropped my at the airport today only to arrive at drop off zone we lost 40 minutes....
That's out of the control of Mr Feist and Brussels Airport: see the Federal Police or the Flemish Direction of Roads and Highways (whatever they are called) for a complaint!
André
ex Sabena #26567

lumumba

Post by lumumba »

sn26567 wrote:
That's out of the control of Mr Feist and Brussels Airport: see the Federal Police or the Flemish Direction of Roads and Highways (whatever they are called) for a complaint!
Nothing to do with the police this time we where waiting for the kiss and ride zone we lost 35 minutes to get there!
I went out of the car because I would miss my plane if not.
But my father lost 40 minutes just to make the tour....
Mr Feist promise of 40 minutes is not true!

Atlantis

Post by Atlantis »

Dear Lumumba,

Stay with the facts please and don't blame Mr Feist or the airport. That you arrive and go to the drop off zone has nothing to do with this 45 mins.

The 45 mins is when you arrive in the departure hall and going to your gate.
There were during the last weeks and months many tests about this and was successful to reach your gate in 45 min.

As extra I would like to add that Mr Feist is really a man with a heart for his employees, the passengers and the clients who are the airlines.
Finally with him the airport is a real airport with a heart and things are moving in the right direction. Nobody could foresee what happend on 22/03 and the airport is still suffering for that. Many media and marketing campaigns started together with Brussels Airlines.
But don't forget that we can't do for everybody the best, that is impossible, but we try.

Passenger

Post by Passenger »

lumumba wrote:
sn26567 wrote:
Nothing to do with the police this time we where waiting for the kiss and ride zone we lost 35 minutes to get there!
I went out of the car because I would miss my plane if not.
But my father lost 40 minutes just to make the tour....
Mr Feust promise of 40 minutes is not true!
This airport isn't ready for you yet. Time after time, you have complaints that proof that the other airports you use (from CDG via AMS to DUS), are sooooo much better. So maybe you should continue to use them, and stay away from our third world airport (by the way, it's fine for me).

lumumba

Post by lumumba »

We where looking around us and the people in the other cars where not happy at all you have to understand that I love Brussels Airport that's why I'm so critical...
And maybe yes sn26567 is right it's still the fault of the police to make it so difficult.

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

I think I see what you mean: you were probably at Interparking P2 and you chose the wrong level. At level 5 (departures) it is very common that a lot of cars make a queue up to the elevators because it takes a lot of time to disembark the passengers. It is best to select another level at P2.
André
ex Sabena #26567

lumumba

Post by lumumba »

sn26567 wrote:I think I see what you mean: you were probably at Interparking P2 and you chose the wrong level. At level 5 (departures) it is very common that a lot of cars make a queue up to the elevators because it takes a lot of time to disembark the passengers. It is best to select another level at P2.
Yes that's correct normally I go to parking 3 myself but me father wanna to spend some time with me so he dropped me at the airport.

But it's nowhere marked that you don't have to go to level 5 or where you have to go it's very unclear...

Conti764

Post by Conti764 »

lumumba wrote:And maybe yes sn26567 is right it's still the fault of the police to make it so difficult.
And how exactly is this the fault of the police? Serious question since it isn't clear from your posts... Did they send you wrong?

lumumba

Post by lumumba »

Conti764 wrote:
lumumba wrote:And maybe yes sn26567 is right it's still the fault of the police to make it so difficult.
And how exactly is this the fault of the police? Serious question since it isn't clear from your posts... Did they send you wrong?
They make prison from this airport I went again to Amsterdam 2 weeks ago and there it's open you can still make it a family escape you have a big shopping mall a beautiful terraces with some planes exposed and a beautiful view on the runways etc...
Really an experience...

Here in Brussels it's like a bunker all closed and not warm and welcome and that because some security guys coming from Tell Aviv and working with the police etc...

Conti764

Post by Conti764 »

lumumba wrote:
Conti764 wrote:
They make prison from this airport I went again to Amsterdam 2 weeks ago and there it's open you can still make it a family escape you have a big shopping mall a beautiful terraces with some planes exposed and a beautiful view on the runways etc...
Really an experience...

Here in Brussels it's like a bunker all closed and not warm and welcome and that because some security guys coming from Tell Aviv and working with the police etc...
That BRU lacks a beautiful shopping mall and has no terrace with some planes exposed is not the fault of the police. Besides, it are nice add-ons but not a key factor in an airport. I have flown from AMS in July and let me tell you this: never again. Great if you have a terrace to watch planes but have no time left due to slow check-in, slow border control and slow security check, albeit arriving THREE HOURS prior to your flight. Nice to have a shopping mall if you don't have the time to stroll around in it and on the other hand, I don't give a single f*** about a nice shopping mall when I arrive.

I can admit that the security checks at BRU were a bit overkill, but the experience at the airport is what you make out of it... Apart from the horendous first days of operation at the tents, passing security went overall smooth and once inside, apart from some soldiers and police officers, it was like prior to 22/03. If you get so upset by seeing soldiers and officers patroling, I fear the problem lays more with you.

About the K&R so many people some so upset about it disappearing, it was long foreseen that the K&R in its old form would go. The system they will install now - only select cars to pass through a barrier system - was long planned. After 22/03 everything went a lot faster and the airport didn't have the time to install some new K&R-system. The old K&R disappearing is actually a good thing. And if the bottlenecks in the current K&R are caused by the same reason as on the old K&R, you have to thank your selfish fellow passengers for it, not the police...

lumumba

Post by lumumba »

I'm not agree that terrace,chopping,malls etc.. are not part of an airport first it makes the airport still a place to go it makes it also more convenient .

It still a place where people see or leave each other sometimes from a long time this are magic moment's and an airport has to capture this.
Not only to make it nice but it generates turnover and so you can develop the airport even more etc...
Yes the police play's a bad role here it secure it to much and it's not convenient anymore.

Amsterdam is a lot bigger you can not compare it totally travel wise .
But look at Munich it's the same than Amsterdam small has Brussels and very very convenient.
Like I already said before it's not Tell Aviv here in Israel you can not take your car and go to Beyrouth or take a TGV to Cairo you have to go true Ben Gourion airport.
Here if you live in Maastricht for example you can go to multiple airports .
That's why you need an open airport with shopping malls and terraces etc...to make those people come to Brussels and not Dusseldorf or Eindhoven etc...

I feel very sad with the situation now I really think if it's stays like that they will kill this airport.

Conti764

Post by Conti764 »

lumumba wrote:I'm not agree that terrace,chopping,malls etc.. are not part of an airport first it makes the airport still a place to go it makes it also more convenient .

It still a place where people see or leave each other sometimes from a long time this are magic moment's and an airport has to capture this.
Not only to make it nice but it generates turnover and so you can develop the airport even more etc...
Yes the police play's a bad role here it secure it to much and it's not convenient anymore.

But look at Munich it's the same than Amsterdam small has Brussels and very very convenient.
Like I already said before it's not Tell Aviv here in Israel you can not take your car and go to Beyrouth or take a TGV to Cairo you have to go true Ben Gourion airport.
That's why you need an open airport with shopping malls and terraces etc...to make those people come to Brussels and not Dusseldorf or Eindhoven etc...

I feel very sad with the situation now I really think if it's stays like that they will kill this airport.
I didn't say shopping malls and the likes are no part of an airport, I just don't find them key to an airports convenience. After having flown from AMS last summer I honestly say I'll prefer BRU anytime. AMS is not efficient, too big and too crowded in the morning. And again, very nice they have a Schiphol Plaza and very nice they have a viewing terrace, but that's not what I found most important about an airport. Nice add-ons, that's it.

How on Earth is BRU not convenient anymore? Because you had to pass a tent to enter the terminal? Most people didn't even have to pass security? Because you can't drive your car up to the very door of the terminal anymore and, as so many drivers did, leave it behind like your own private (free!) parking space? Well, what's the difference with AMS? The line direct in front of the terminal isn't accessible for just anyone either. The difference is that BRU has to develop something in one of the parking buildings, whereas in AMS that very same lane is in open air. And it is the same as what they intend at BRU and far from what is was before.

And yes, you have a free choice to any airport at the same distance as BRU, but people usually don't care about a shopping mall, or a viewing terrace but the price they'll have to pay for their flight, the most convenient options to travel abroad,... Besides, BRU is still an open airport, accessible for everyone.

lumumba

Post by lumumba »

Conti764 wrote:
lumumba wrote:I'm not agree that terrace,chopping,malls etc.. are not part of an airport first it makes the airport still a place to go it makes it also more convenient .

I didn't say shopping malls and the likes are no part of an airport, I just don't find them key to an airports convenience. After having flown from AMS last summer I honestly say I'll prefer BRU anytime. AMS is not efficient, too big and too crowded in the morning. And again, very nice they have a Schiphol Plaza and very nice they have a viewing terrace, but that's not what I found most important about an airport. Nice add-ons, that's it.

How on Earth is BRU not convenient anymore? Because you had to pass a tent to enter the terminal? Most people didn't even have to pass security? Because you can't drive your car up to the very door of the terminal anymore and, as so many drivers did, leave it behind like your own private (free!) parking space? Well, what's the difference with AMS? The line direct in front of the terminal isn't accessible for just anyone either. The difference is that BRU has to develop something in one of the parking buildings, whereas in AMS that very same lane is in open air. And it is the same as what they intend at BRU and far from what is was before.

And yes, you have a free choice to any airport at the same distance as BRU, but people usually don't care about a shopping mall, or a viewing terrace but the price they'll have to pay for their flight, the most convenient options to travel abroad,... Besides, BRU is still an open airport, accessible for everyone.
It's more than the price it's multiple differences in passengers if you don't have the holiday passengers you don't have the business passengers and the way around.
My point is if the tourist or the business passengers are not taking Thai anymore (for example)than we will lose it .
And here I think we will lose a part of business passengers and so we will lose a part of the holiday makers etc...or way around .
Because for the same price they will be better off in Dusseldorf for example.

For holiday passengers for example they are dropped off by family sometimes and they again for the same price they will chose an open and convenient airport where they can drink and see something .

In Brussels there is no place to experience the airport it's only for the passengers nothing around or fun .
And even then it's not so easy to drop off like my experience this afternoon with my father if it was easy we could go inside together and maybe drink something or coming with the kids if there was something to show .
People create turnover etc...
Last edited by lumumba on 24 Oct 2016, 09:59, edited 1 time in total.

sean1982

Post by sean1982 »

Atlantis wrote:
Dear Lumumba,

Stay with the facts please and don't blame Mr Feist or the airport. That you arrive and go to the drop off zone has nothing to do with this 45 mins.

The 45 mins is when you arrive in the departure hall and going to your gate.
There were during the last weeks and months many tests about this and was successful to reach your gate in 45 min.
Im sorry, but that is a ridiculous statement. Going into the media saying: we guarantuee you to be able to reach your aircraft in 45 min, means exactly that. It doesnt mean: we guarantuee you to get to your airplane within 45 min from the moment you reach the departures hall but we cant guarantuee how long it's gonna take from when you leave the highway to the departures hall. :roll:

I'm sure the intentions are good, and on quite days it works perfectly. On busy times being dropped off at the airport is still hell atm. My dad dropped me off the other day and spend 55 min just to get in and back out of the parking :roll:

Passenger

Post by Passenger »

sean1982 wrote:Im sorry, but that is a ridiculous statement. Going into the media saying: we guarantuee you to be able to reach your aircraft in 45 min, means exactly that. It doesnt mean: we guarantuee you to get to your airplane within 45 min from the moment you reach the departures hall but we cant guarantuee how long it's gonna take from when you leave the highway to the departures hall.
Wrong. Feist hasn't said "we guarantuee you to be able to reach your aircraft in 45 minutes". This is what he said: "before the end of the year, we will launch a PR campaign with our partner Brussels Airlines. If you arrive 45 minutes before departure, we will refund your ticket if you miss your flight. Even when you have luggage".

Source for the "45 minutes" statement: see as from around 05min20sec:
http://www.rtl.be/info/belgique/economi ... 52970.aspx

Details about this "45 minutes or money back" PR campaign aren't known yet. So let's wait and see what exactly Brussels Airport and Brussels Airlines promise, before condemning them for not keeping their promises. My guess is that it "when you arrive" will be a written condition "from the moment you enter the departure hall".

Didymus

Post by Didymus »

I agree with Sean that it would be ridiculous to launch such a campaign if the time needed to enter the airport premises and park at peak moments can not reduced significantly. People would still be keen to come 2-3 hours in advance because as the situation is now, it's impossible to estimate when you will make it into the departure hall.

convair

Post by convair »

Passenger wrote: My guess is that it "when you arrive" will be a written condition "from the moment you enter the departure hall".
Difficult to prove and not really relevant; maybe check-in time, although many pax will have their boarding pass with them already.

Now for the K&R:
1. the new procedure is unacceptable as it is not a true K&R, and it causes too much time lost for the car drivers and often for the pax as well;
2. yes, some careless drivers contributed to kill the previous arrangement;
3. NO, don't tell me it is not possible to prevent that: try and leave your car unattended for 3 minutes at the K&R curb of any US or Canadian airport and you are sure to get a ticket.

The K&R system at BRU was simply not or too weakly policed most of the time and the obligation for drivers to remain at their car was not enforced.

sn-remember

Post by sn-remember »

Conti764 wrote:The old K&R disappearing is actually a good thing. And if the bottlenecks in the current K&R are caused by the same reason as on the old K&R, you have to thank your selfish fellow passengers for it, not the police...
I beg to disagree. Personally I never encountered severe bottlenecks at the old K&R facility. At most 5 min delay ... And it was very practical. The new setup inside the parking building is not a so good idea. It's an error to mix the 2 flows (k&R and long duration) it creates unwanted bottlenecks inside the parking buildings which is rather nightmarish ... and it penalises the business traveler.
Many airports have a dedicated open air parking not too far from the terminal buidings for that K&R purpose. Being open air means that the flows are not mixed and that's how it should be. CRL used to have that, I heard they temporarily closed it after the brussels attacks... Hope they put it back in service ?
@Lumumba : You raise very valid points, thank you for your positive input. Indeed an airport is and should remain an attractive place also for the non traveling folk. But I understand it's not the priority at BRU for the time being. Let them first become again an attractive option for the traveling public, hope they get their act together concerning the car access issues.
Btw how's the train access running now ? How long can you make it from train to check-in desk ?
Last edited by sn-remember on 24 Oct 2016, 14:04, edited 2 times in total.

b720

Post by b720 »

BRU needs to find a solution for the parking EXIT! Last night, at around 20:30 (and not the first time) The exit was blocked by cars whose drivers were no were to be seen!!! They were paying their tickets!
3 exit poles were occupied by such cars last night, resulting in a traffic jam at the other "fluid"ones.
I guess people overstay their 15 min? Could not exit, instead of reversing and parking at the side .. they step out of their cars, and line up at the machine to pay!!! In the meantime, those with a validated ticket, have to line up and wait!!