Interview with Putin: Nordic overflights, Ukraine, wants merger with EU

A place to discuss military aviation: airshows, stunning pictures, weapons, etc...

Moderator: Latest news team

Flanker2

Interview with Putin: Nordic overflights, Ukraine, wants merger with EU

Post by Flanker2 »

The main Italian newspaper Corriere della Sera was granted an exclusive interview with President Putin that is on the main page and the main article running today on their homepage:
http://www.corriere.it/esteri/15_giugno ... a029.shtml

The content is very interesting and illuminating and clearly reflects every step that led to the Ukrainian crisis and the situation today.
Putin keeps naming the EU and U.S. as "partners" throughout the entire interview.
He even mentions how he would like to see a single economic area from Lisbon to Vladivostok and how he has worked towards this until now.

Putin says that the rebels are ready to consider being part of the Ukrainian State if the Minsk agreements are respected. If they want to persuade these territories to remain part of Ukraine, Ukraine has to prove that life will be better in a united state, more comfortable and safe, and that the future of the children will be guaranteed. Trying to persuade them with weapons is impossible. These are matters that can only be resolved pacifically.

Asked about Crimea, he said that there the situation was totally different as the majority of local people were the ones who wanted to be annexed to Russia. "We only helped them exercise their free will".

Asked about Nordic overflights, he explained that "the U.S. and the Soviet Union were formerly responsible for patrolling the Atlantic Ocean. In the nineties, Russia has abolished this operation but U.S. aircraft have continued to overfly along Russian borders. For what reasons? So we have decided to start it again, but have we behaved aggressively?
The U.S. has stationed submarines in Norway that can launch missiles to Moscow and hit it in 17 minutes. And you are saying that we are being aggressive?"

"Pull out a map of U.S. bases around the world and compare it with the map of Russian bases around the world. It becomes clear who is playing the part of the global aggressor".

"You have said that NATO is inching towards our boarders. But we are not moving."

"For example, the U.S. don't want Europe and Russia to get too close. I don't affirm this but I suppose it hypothetically". Out of nowhere the Ukranian crisis erupted. We were forced to react. Maybe it was all done on purpose. But it's clearly not us.
Today's Russia is different, it has changed. No-one can imagine a conflict at such a vast scale (as during the cold war). We've got better things to do, I assure you."

"We currently cooperate with the U.S. on Iran's nuclear program's divestment. We are not only partners but I would say allies."

Asked about Greece and a potential financial rescue, he said "We have historical relationships with Greece beyond any union or alliance. But I don't know what the future holds, I don't want to place a guess now as it would be counter-productive for both Greece and the EU."

KriVa

Re: Interview with Putin: Nordic overflights, Ukraine, wants merger with EU

Post by KriVa »

I cleaned up the topic. Be aware that luchtzak is not a place for political discussions.
Thomas

mooney058

Re: Interview with Putin: Nordic overflights, Ukraine, wants merger with EU

Post by mooney058 »

He/she is aware, that is why 800-1000 usd/month are paid to those in big grey St Petersburg buildings doing this :lol:
If you are on a payroll, you have to 'work' ;)