Scottish independence: aviation consequences

A forum to discuss all aviation items (not for latest aviation news and military aviation news)

Moderator: Latest news team

cathay belgium

Scottish independence: aviation consequences

Post by cathay belgium »

Hi,

A week before we know the result, what consequences will involve a possible scottish independence ?

What to expect with British Airways?
Will there be a scottisch affliate? BA Scotland ...
Will the union jack dissappear for the cross of St. John ? Removal of the scottish blue ?

Could Scotland be seen at BRU in pier A instead of pier B in the future ?

Will there be a scottish independant airline or a rip off of BA?

Will fly be take over any lines...

Or none of this..

For Scottish luchtzakmembers.. be realistic .. vote NO ;)

Together is more fun then seperated 8-)

CXB
New types flown 2022.. A339

teach

Re: scottish independance aviation consequences

Post by teach »

cathay belgium wrote:Or none of this..
That one.

Passenger

Post by Passenger »

cathay belgium wrote: For Scottish luchtzakmembers.. be realistic .. vote NO ;)
CXB
A realistic vote is a YES vote.

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

If Scotland votes for independence, it will automatically be out of the EU, thus certainly not in Pier A. It will have to re-apply for EU membership if it wants to get the benefits, in which case it could decide to join the Euro and the Schengen zone...

But I believe the NO will prevail, thus no change from the current situation.
André
ex Sabena #26567

airazurxtror

Post by airazurxtror »

cathay belgium wrote:Hi,
A week before we know the result, what consequences will involve a possible scottish independance ?
What to expect with British Airways?
Will there be a scottisch affliate? BA Scotland ...
Will the union jack dissappear for the cross of St. John ? Removal of the scottish blue ?
Could Scotland be seen at BRU in pier A instead of pier B in the future ?
Will there be a scottish independant airline or a rip off of BA?
Will fly be take over any lines...
Well, there is Loganair "Scotland's airline" as they say - they fly mainly inside Scotland, and also farther, under a Flybe franchise. They could become the real "national" Scottish airline !
Or a revival of the late Air Scotland ?
A distinct possibility of adding a new airline to you list, Lex !
IF IT AIN'T BOEING, I'M NOT GOING.

Passenger

Post by Passenger »

sn26567 wrote:If Scotland votes for independence, it will automatically be out of the EU, thus certainly not in Pier A. It will have to re-apply for EU membership if it wants to get the benefits, in which case it could decide to join the Euro and the Schengen zone... But I believe the NO will prevail, thus no change from the current situation.
If YES wins next Thursday, the Scottish government has lots of time to prepare the split from the United Kingdom and to deal with all consequences - like currency, EU membership, Shengen, ... The question in the referendum indeed has no date or time limit: it's just "Should Scotland be an independent country?"

So it's up to the EU indeed to accept - or not to accept - Scotland's membership. But given the fact that Scotland will be one of the few EU countries who give more to the EU in contributions then they recieve in subsidies, I guess they will be gladly wellcomed.

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Sir Richard Branson, the boss of Virgin who is from Scottish descent, is in favour of the NO vote:

http://www.virgin.com/richard-branson/w ... -of-the-uk
André
ex Sabena #26567

travellover

Post by travellover »

Yes is the best alternative.
If "Yes" becomes a reality. Maybe BA will create a sister airline in Scotland, holding its influence.

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/com ... dence-vote

Quoting a comment among many others "yes or no" :

https://id.theguardian.com/profile/id/11126313/public

"Finally the rotten system is failing. It is failing to marshall the usually apathetic voters into the pens they wish, and now they are thrashing about trying to find something, anthing that will stick and get the electorate into those pens. But it’s failing.

Whether we’re Scots, or Welsh, or Irish, or English we all share the same resentment to the Westminster system. Unfortunately for us English, the only outlet for the resentment has so far been electoral riots in the form of UKIP.

Whether we’re Scots, or Welsh, or Irish, or English - our democratic representatives are sent into this Westminster system, and are corrupted, and our democracy has been poisoned so that our cynicism makes us easy to move into the well defined boxes the politicians want us in. And it’s failing now.

I envy the Scots. I look at their campaign, and I wish we had something like that here, but the English left is splintered, and resentful, and still cling to the Labour party as if it hadn’t produced leaders like Brown and Blair that shafted us all.

I just hope that there’s some way to get the same movement, which is not the electoral riot of supporting a xenophobic racist and misogynist UKIP. Only if the left rallies can we get the same thing the Scots have here in England.

I’m not holding my breath."
Cheers

jan_olieslagers

Post by jan_olieslagers »

As so often happens on this site, the title says "aviation" yet only "air travel" is discussed. There is much more to aviation, and in this case the effects of a "yes" vote would be profound.

An independent Scotland would not automatically be an EASA member; to name just one aspect, this would have huge implications on pilot training and licensing. There must be many many more such issues. Not only in aviation.

jan_olieslagers

As regards a "Scottish flag carrier" (though flag carriers are a thing of the 20th century, well behind us by now!) those who know history will remember the once glorious Caledonian Airways.
Last edited by jan_olieslagers on 13 Sep 2014, 16:20, edited 1 time in total.

White Light

Post by White Light »

If the YES wins next Thursday, having a flag carrier is surely one of the last things among the concerns of the newly independent country. There are enough airlines operating to Scotland for the country not to be isolated.

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

jan_olieslagers wrote:As regards a "Scottish flag carrier" (though flag carriers are a thing of the 20th century, well behind us by now!) those who know history will remember the once glorious Caledonian Airways.
Indeed. This airline later became British Caledonian before ultimately being merged into British airways.

I remember British Caledonian sharing codes (and cabin crew) with the Sabena 747 on the route Brussels-Gatwick-Atlanta. I also remember a excellent flight from Narita to Gatwick on a BCal 747. Memories...

I don't think such a great Scottish flag carrier could ever be revived, independence or not!
André
ex Sabena #26567

airazurxtror

Post by airazurxtror »

jan_olieslagers wrote:As regards a "Scottish flag carrier" (though flag carriers are a thing of the 20th century, well behind us by now!) those who know history will remember the once glorious Caledonian Airways.
Indeed ! If I remember well, Caledonian began flying with DC7s leased from Sabena.
And if Wales follow suit (why not ?), we'll call to mind Cambrian Airways ...
IF IT AIN'T BOEING, I'M NOT GOING.

sn26567

Re: Scottish independence: aviation consequences

Post by sn26567 »

‘Yes’ vote would end Air Passenger Duty in Scotland

The Scottish National Party (SNP) has confirmed a ‘yes’ vote in this week’s referendum will mean the end of Air Passenger Duty (APD) in Scotland.

It said scrapping the tax, which is the highest in the world, will benefit Scottish tourism as around two million visitors a year are currently deterred by APD.

APD is a duty which is charged on the carriage of passengers flying from a UK airport. The amount of duty charged is calculated using a variety of factors. In its original form the minimum APD charge on a ticket was £5 and the maximum was £40.

Controversially it has risen significantly since 2007 and the minimum now is £13 and the highest £188.

More in Buying Business Travel: http://ht.ly/2NvyD4
André
ex Sabena #26567

regi

Post by regi »

And imagine if Scotland joins immediately the Shengen countries, making a real border between England and Scotland, barb wire included to keep the English out :twisted:
In aviation , it would be a benefit for Scottish tourism if they could join asap Shengen.

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Before joining Schengen, they must join the EU, which is conditional on an unanimous approval by current Member States. This is far from being done: do you imagine countries like Spain approve the secession of Scotland when they are themselves fighting the secession of Catalonia?
André
ex Sabena #26567

jan_olieslagers

Before joining Schengen, they must join the EU
You sure? Did the Swiss?

Acid-drop

Post by Acid-drop »

and norway :)
My messages reflect my personal opinion which may be different than yours. I beleive a forum is made to create a debate so I encourage people to express themselves, the way they want, with the ideas they want. I expect the same understanding in return.

jan_olieslagers

Admittedly, it isn't easy to keep up with "what country is in what" so here's a little image, courtesy of en.wikipedia: