Malaysia Airlines flight MH370 is missing

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

Treeper

Re: Malaysia Airlines says it has lost contact with flight M

Post by Treeper »

New addings to AV Herald:
Late Mar 12th 2014 China's State Administration of Science (SASTIND) reported, they discovered three large objects sized 13x18, 14x19 and 24x22 meters at position N6.7 E105.63 (121nm eastsoutheast of the last known secondary radar position), all three objects within a radius of 20km (11nm) and published the satellite images, taken on Mar 9th 2014 at 11:00 Beijing time (03:00Z), see below. SASTIND stated they are committed to provide further search services to locate flight MH-370.
http://avherald.com/h?article=4710c69b&opt=0

Photos are below the article, though one can hardly see what's on it...

teddybAIR

Post by teddybAIR »

Possible break through wreckage sighting by Chinese satellite: cnn

Debris of considerable size spotted exactly where you would expect it based on the factual info available from the onset. First solid lead:

- consistent with Flight path
- considerable size & multiple derbis
- consistent with oil rig employee testimony

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Image taken by the Chinese and released by BBC:

André
ex Sabena #26567

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Position of unknown objects photographed by Chinese satellite (2) against last known position of plane (1) and the oil rig position

André
ex Sabena #26567

Bralo20

Post by Bralo20 »

According to US investigators the plane has flown for an additional 4 hours after contact was lost:

http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB1 ... 3903086282

It may sound weird but it's not the US equivalent of "Het Laatste Nieuws" that broke the story, it's published by the very reputable Wall Street Journal with Jon Ostrower as co-editor of the story. I doubt both would risk their reputations so I think there's some real value in the story...

Sean_DM

Post by Sean_DM »

Bralo20 wrote:According to US investigators the plane has flown for an additional 4 hours after contact was lost:

It may sound weird but it's not the US equivalent of "Het Laatste Nieuws" that broke the story, it's published by the very reputable Wall Street Journal with Jon Ostrower as co-editor of the story. I doubt both would risk their reputations so I think there's some real value in the story...
If that is the case than the decompression scenario is becoming more and more likely. It also makes the search area so big, that we might have to accept this aircraft will never be found again :|

Bralo20

Post by Bralo20 »

I rather think that it's an hijacking. If you read the article it's mentioned that they think that the transponder may have been switched off intentionally to avoid detection. It also mentioned that they were pursuing the possibility that the plane has been taken to been used on a later date.

I'm not saying that an accident can be ruled out but the chances that it was an accident are getting slimmer by the minute.

teddybAIR

Post by teddybAIR »

The chinese satelite imagery dates back from sunday so even if the debris would be from 9M-MRO, it could still have drifted significantly and secondly: nothing guarantees that a piece of debris that was still floating on sunday has not simply sunk to the bottom during the next 4 days.

Sean_DM

Post by Sean_DM »

Bralo20 wrote:I rather think that it's an hijacking. If you read the article it's mentioned that they think that the transponder may have been switched off intentionally to avoid detection. It also mentioned that they were pursuing the possibility that the plane has been taken to been used on a later date.

I'm not saying that an accident can be ruled out but the chances that it was an accident are getting slimmer by the minute.
That sounds way too science fiction if you ask me. You don't just "kidnap" a B777 with passengers and crew, fly it below radar detection, land it on an airport where it would go unnoticed and than hide untill you are going to use it for whatever reason. That's too hollywood

teddybAIR

Post by teddybAIR »

Bralo20 wrote:I'm not saying that an accident can be ruled out but the chances that it was an accident are getting slimmer by the minute.
Why on earth would the chances of this being an accident become slimmer by the minute?!

quixoticguide

Post by quixoticguide »

Sean_DM wrote:
Bralo20 wrote:I rather think that it's an hijacking. If you read the article it's mentioned that they think that the transponder may have been switched off intentionally to avoid detection. It also mentioned that they were pursuing the possibility that the plane has been taken to been used on a later date.

That sounds way too science fiction if you ask me. You don't just "kidnap" a B777 with passengers and crew, fly it below radar detection, land it on an airport where it would go unnoticed and than hide untill you are going to use it for whatever reason. That's too hollywood
Indeed and Somalia is out of range!
Visit my flights on: http://www.quixoticguide.com

Bralo20

Post by Bralo20 »

Sean_DM wrote: That sounds way too science fiction if you ask me. You don't just "kidnap" a B777 with passengers and crew, fly it below radar detection, land it on an airport where it would go unnoticed and than hide untill you are going to use it for whatever reason. That's too hollywood
Why would it be SCI-FI? According the WSJ, US investigators are considering this.

The plane "vanished" nearly 6 days ago, not a single piece of debris has been found. Yet, the area where it would crashed is one of the busiest nautical areas in the world. The Mallaca Strait is one of the busiest shipping lanes, the Gulf of Thailand idem dito and on top of it has numerous fishingboats. All the surrouding areas like the South China Sea, the Andaman Sea and even the Bay of Bengal are busy shipping areas with numerous boats. Yet, not a single boat, not a single fisherman saw the plane crash. US spy sattelites didn't track an explosion, no seismic activity was recorded. There is just no proof that the plane has indeed crashed...

Just like there is absolutely no proof that the plane didn't crash...

teddybAIR

Post by teddybAIR »

It's not sci-fi indeed. It simply requires at least one flight crew member to be in the plot and poor radar capability (which has actually already amply been demonstrated). But there are numerous scenario's where the engines would continue sending data for another 4 hours.

Question: how long was the flight sheduled to last?

Bralo20

Post by Bralo20 »

teddybAIR wrote:
Question: how long was the flight sheduled to last?
[KVS Availability Tool 7.3.5/Diamond - Timetable/NL]

Code: Select all

KUL  Kuala Lumpur Metro / Intl MY = KUL SZB [WMKK]
PEK  Beijing Capital Intl CN [ZBAA]
SUN  23 Mar 2014 - 30 Mar 2014

Carrier    Flight  From  Depart    To    Arrive    A/C  St  Frequency | Dur'n | Dep T | Arr T | Effect | Ending | Exceptions
---------  ------  ----  --------  ----  --------  ---  --  ----------------------------------------------------------------
MH         318     KUL   00:25     PEK   06:35     772  0   ------7     06:10       M       3   30 Mar   27 Apr   Sun 23 Mar
MH         318     KUL   00:35     PEK   06:30     772  0   1234567     05:55       M       3   19 Mar   29 Mar   Sun 30 Mar
MH         360     KUL   18:00     PEK   00:20 +1  333  0   -----67     06:20       M       3   29 Mar   30 Mar   Sun 23 Mar
MH         360     KUL   18:25     PEK   00:20 +1  333  0   12345-7     05:55       M       3   23 Feb   28 Mar   Sun 30 Mar
Approximately 6 hours

teddybAIR

Post by teddybAIR »

The only thing that has been demonstrated is that there is a button in the cockpit that allows a flight crew member to turn off the transponder. So what? There is also a handle that allows you to open the cockpit window, there is easily 50 tons of highly flamable fuel on board, crash axes and crow bars...but then again: so what?

The simple matter of fact remains: it lost contact over water, downed planes are hard to find over water and we haven't found it yet.

Kapitein

Post by Kapitein »

Malaysian will change the flight number from MH370 to MH318 as of tomorrow for the KUL - PEK flight

Flanker2

Post by Flanker2 »

Well after 9/11 we all know that it doesn't take much to do big things. The fact that they left Malaysian primary radar range just below RVSM altitude corroborates the fact that they intended to avoid traffic as tcas couldn't work with the transponder off, yet maximise their range.

However the likelyhood of a landing in the Strait is now low.

Decompression can be ruled out.

Acid-drop

Post by Acid-drop »

Very strange that the local authority keep saying that any scenario other than the crash is fantasy.
The more they deny the more i beleive in the highjacking theory
My messages reflect my personal opinion which may be different than yours. I beleive a forum is made to create a debate so I encourage people to express themselves, the way they want, with the ideas they want. I expect the same understanding in return.

stratofreighter

Post by stratofreighter »

Bralo20 wrote:According to US investigators the plane has flown for an additional 4 hours after contact was lost:

The version above is now disputed according to http://avherald.com/h?article=4710c69b&opt=0 :?
On Mar 13th 2014 afternoon Malaysia's Transport Minister said in a televised press conference,
that the last ACARS transmission was received from the aircraft at 01:07L (17:07Z), there were no later transmissions via ACARS
(editorial note: which effectively states a report by a single US "news" paper of the engines monitoring recording information via ACARS for 4 more hours is untrue),
the last transmission received from the aircraft indicated all systems were operating normally.

Sean_DM

Post by Sean_DM »

Flanker2 wrote:Decompression can be ruled out.
Did your glass ball tell you that? :roll: