Sólyom Airways, new Hungarian airline

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

Boeing767copilot

Sólyom Airways, new Hungarian airline

Post by Boeing767copilot »

Analysts: Sólyom heading for “huge crash” in 2017

New Budapest-based airline Sólyom Hungarian Airways has made another step toward beginning flights on the targeted date of August 18, but analysts are reckoning that the company’s original estimates with regard to the amount of business they’ll be doing are exaggerated at best and untenable at worst.

http://www.bbj.hu/business/analysts-sol ... 2017_67137

Boeing767copilot

Re: Sólyom Airways, new Hungarian airline

Post by Boeing767copilot »

First destinations out of BUD: Amsterdam, Brussels, Frankfurt, London, Milan, Paris and Stockholm.

crew1990

Post by crew1990 »

I'm working with 50 ex cabin crew of Malev and regarding them Solyom Airways look like a reliable prodject this time. But we don't know yet if Solyom will take back the Malev crew or if they will take other crew.

LJ

Post by LJ »

crew1990 wrote:I'm working with 50 ex cabin crew of Malev and regarding them Solyom Airways look like a reliable prodject this time. But we don't know yet if Solyom will take back the Malev crew or if they will take other crew.
If you'ver read their plans I wonder on what they base their optimism. The venture has failure written all over it (as the analysts correctly point out). The BUD market has already been divided and unless things improve in Hungary, I doubt there is a place for them, moreover, if they don't have any feed.

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

The first Sólyom Hungarian Airways Boeing 737-500 is currently being prepared for delivery at Bournemouth Airport (UK).
André
ex Sabena #26567

airazurxtror

Post by airazurxtror »

Sólyom Airways, a start-up that was initially treated as a joke, is actually recruiting employees, including pilots. Considering that it currently has but one plane, it is looking to hire only 35 employees.

The CEO, József Vágó, gave a press conference on July 24 and announced that the airline will become a reality very soon. Álmos, the first of the six planes he intends to lease, will take off on September 1. Where is it going? Well, that’s not so clear. He refused to be specific but indicated that the airline will first concentrate on western Europe. His airline will offer full-fledged premier flights at low prices, so he will be able to compete with low-cost carriers like Wizz Air.

Initially the airline will lease only six twenty-year-old Boeing 737-500s which, he admitted, are less fuel efficient than later models. But Vágó emphasized that they are in excellent shape because they flew very little. A European airline used them as VIP planes; they flew between Europe and the United States for a few years. These VIP planes were refitted to imitate private jets in their comforts. He also added that there is a possibility of purchasing outright twenty-two planes in addition to the 737-500s; these will be newer models.

He envisages at least 50 planes flying practically everywhere, including the Far East and the United States. Just yesterday he announced that the Chinese promised 1 million passengers to Sólyom once the company reaches the point of full capacity and has regular flights to China.

When will Sólyom be profitable? In four months, answered Vágó without any hesitation.
It seems that the mysterious backer of József Vágó is Emirates Airlines. So, perhaps Vágó has reason to be confident.
Last edited by sn26567 on 06 Aug 2013, 16:12, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Changed BBCode for image
IF IT AIN'T BOEING, I'M NOT GOING.

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

And if there is any doubt, Sólyom means "Falcon" in Hungarian...
André
ex Sabena #26567

LJ

Post by LJ »

sn26567 wrote:The first Sólyom Hungarian Airways Boeing 737-500 is currently being prepared for delivery at Bournemouth Airport (UK).
airazurxtror wrote:Initially the airline will lease only six twenty-year-old Boeing 737-500s which, he admitted, are less fuel efficient than later models. But Vágó emphasized that they are in excellent shape because they flew very little. A European airline used them as VIP planes; they flew between Europe and the United States for a few years. These VIP planes were refitted to imitate private jets in their comforts.
I hope that this link isn't your source http://iho.hu/hir/solyom-lizing-a-wingl ... lis-130729 The 737-500 shown (or at least the 737-500 which is shown on the picture) is converted from pax to VIP (as are the other 2 which European Aviation owns) and are for sale for USD4.9mio, and now they're to reconvert them into pax again? Sounds very strange.... Or am I missing something?

BTW why don't we get a picture of a B737-500?

airtrainer

Post by airtrainer »

Not much information from their website at the moment...
http://www.solyomairways.com/

airazurxtror

Post by airazurxtror »

http://uk.reuters.com/article/2013/08/1 ... B920130818

BUDAPEST | Sun Aug 18, 2013
New Hungarian airline Solyom will launch its first charter flights next month and scheduled flights from early October, the company's chief executive Jozsef Vago said on Sunday, presenting Solyom's first aircraft, a leased Boeing 737-500, to the public at Budapest Airport.

"In premium services, we want to become Hungary's leading airline," he told reporters.

Solyom will launch charter flights next month as it expands its fleet to six aircraft. Scheduled flights will start in early October and Solyom expects to have 12 aircraft by the end of 2013 and 1,500 employees within a year.
IF IT AIN'T BOEING, I'M NOT GOING.

Inquirer

Post by Inquirer »

airazurxtror wrote:"In premium services, we want to become Hungary's leading airline," he told reporters.
Just what does that mean, given I can't think of any other Hungarian airline at present, let alone one that's aiming the higher end of the market...

Also, starting with 737s, yet showing your livery on an Airbus isn't very professional!

These guys seem to be the BeOnTop of Hungary, to make a link with another topic I just came to read.

Wonder how long they will last?
I know i won't be using them for my corporate travel, regardless their ambition of becoming the leading Hungarian premium airline or not... I'll just stick to STAR carriers: much sounder!

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Inquirer wrote:I can't think of any other Hungarian airline at present
Uh! Ever heard of Wizz Air ?
André
ex Sabena #26567

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Game over!

Sólyom Hungarian Airways calls it quits after Omani investor pulls out

Sólyom Hungarian Airways (HUN, Budapest) has suspended operations after it failed to agree on terms with its investors. Last week, József Vágó, head of Sólyom Airways, said that a contract with a potential Oman-based investor had still not been finalized leading to the airline's cash shortage. Trouble had begun to brew in late September when lacking the necessary operating permits, the airline failed to launch its initial flights.

Source: ch-aviation
André
ex Sabena #26567

LJ

Post by LJ »

sn26567 wrote:Game over!

Sólyom Hungarian Airways (HUN, Budapest) has suspended operations after it failed to agree on terms with its investors. Last week, József Vágó, head of Sólyom Airways, said that a contract with a potential Oman-based investor had still not been finalized leading to the airline's cash shortage. Trouble had begun to brew in late September when lacking the necessary operating permits, the airline failed to launch its initial flights.

Source: ch-aviation
A wise move by the Omani investor. This venture had failure written all over it.

andorra-airport

Post by andorra-airport »

sn26567 wrote:Game over!

As posted a few hours before here: http://luchtzak.be/forums/viewtopic.php ... 35#p287684

Thank you.