Swissport industrial action at Brussels Airport

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

AirOpinion

Re: Abnormalities in BRU-ANR-CRL-LGG-OST in 2013

Post by AirOpinion »

Title: Information sessions union Swissport & Opening Crisis Centre
Body: Due to information sessions held by the labour unions to Swissport staff, all operations handled by Swissport can be severely disturbed.

Brussels Airport will open its crisis centre as soon as possible. All stakeholders involved are requested to join the crisis centre.

More information to follow.

Expires: 19/05/2013

andorra-airport

Post by andorra-airport »

Swissport staff on strike because of understaffing problems. Maybe subject for a new topic?

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

andorra-airport wrote:Swissport staff on strike because of understaffing problems. Maybe subject for a new topic?
Please feel free to open a new topic if you feel it is necessary.
Brussels Airlines wrote: Following an unannounced strike of our handler Swissport at Brussels Airport, we are experiencing flight delays this evening.

Swissport takes care of several handling services for Brussels Airlines, including luggage handling and cleaning.

Our airport staff is doing their utmost to guarantee timely departures of our flights, but flight disruptions are to be expected. We will keep you updated on the situation. We apologize for the inconvenience this causes and thank you for your patience.

Please check the status of your flight here:
Brussels Airlines - Arrivals & departures
http://www.brusselsairlines.com
André
ex Sabena #26567

dna

Swissport industrial action at Brussels Airport

Post by dna »

Several flights at Brussels Airport are being affected by a wildcat strike by Swissport ground handling. Swissport staff have gone on strike because they feel their workload is too high. More details here (in Dutch):
http://www.deredactie.be/permalink/1.1627575

Flights are departing without luggage.

sean1982

Re: Swissport industrial action at Brussels Airport

Post by sean1982 »

It would be nice to see unions getting back to reality and realize that the public opinion does no longer support these wildcat strikes anymore (if they ever have in the first place). The current economic downturn is the worst in years and a lot of companies are struggling to keep their head above water, surely it's not the time for these kind of actions when there are other ways and means (that don't hold innocent people hostage) to resolve these situations.

cnc

Post by cnc »

workload is too high... OMFG
the nerve those people have...
they go by car to a stand, put chokes, unload, get back in the car and wait, load the plane, back in the car waiting untill pushback and then going back inside for some drinks and a smoke. wow already 2 hours have passed by now!
not to mention they don't care about a thing. last week there was an arrival next our a/c and no groundcrew to place chokes and cones so i told the chef d'equipe to radio GOC to send a team or place the chokes himself which he both refused as it was not his job and concern

SNam

Post by SNam »

Well you have to see this situation the other way, high workload as in loading a B737-800 with 3 peoples is a high workload. One guy to put the bags on the belt and one guy to pass the luggage to the third guy placing the bags.

I don't know if you ever did this but this can be very tiring if you take into account the distance between guy 2 and 3, the weight of the bag and the size and type of the bag. Don't forget that you have to load up to 200 bags with just 3 guys at certain moment!

I do not justify the strike, i completely agree with cnc as these situations occur. The point is that up to 1500 kg they count 3 guys and as from 1500 kg they should need 4 guys and that is the main problem. And they need the 4th guy for sure is you are loading 737s or 320s

Passenger

Post by Passenger »

SNam wrote:Well you have to see this situation the other way, high workload as in loading a B737-800 with 3 peoples is a high workload. One guy to put the bags on the belt and one guy to pass the luggage to the third guy placing the bags.

I don't know if you ever did this but this can be very tiring if you take into account the distance between guy 2 and 3, the weight of the bag and the size and type of the bag. Don't forget that you have to load up to 200 bags with just 3 guys at certain moment!

I do not justify the strike, i completely agree with cnc as these situations occur. The point is that up to 1500 kg they count 3 guys and as from 1500 kg they should need 4 guys and that is the main problem. And they need the 4th guy for sure is you are loading 737s or 320s
If it's too heavy for you (*), then just quit the job and leave it for others who can do it.

(*) I don't mean "you, Snam" - but in general : those who cannot do it.

cnc

Post by cnc »

SNam wrote:Well you have to see this situation the other way, high workload as in loading a B737-800 with 3 peoples is a high workload. One guy to put the bags on the belt and one guy to pass the luggage to the third guy placing the bags.

i've been in ground handling for more then 10 years, even though i was a white collar i've done my share of loading with great plesure.
when the blue's went on strike we did the loading, with 3 doing the unloading and loading of a full JAF 738 in 33min. you would start wondering how we survive to this day if you hear them complain.
and the heavy loading a/c's are well spread among the loading teams.
all those strikers should be forced to work in the cleaning dev. for a month! then they'll know how little they actually work right now

9vsmu

Post by 9vsmu »

cnc wrote:

i've been in ground handling for more then 10 years, even though i was a white collar i've done my share of loading with great plesure.
when the blue's went on strike we did the loading, with 3 doing the unloading and loading of a full JAF 738 in 33min. you would start wondering how we survive to this day if you hear them complain.
and the heavy loading a/c's are well spread among the loading teams.
all those strikers should be forced to work in the cleaning dev. for a month! then they'll know how little they actually work right now
33min on full 738 !!!
Get real. Ok when just bags, and only 1flt, and even than ......

cnc

Post by cnc »

9vsmu wrote: 33min on full 738 !!!
well yes just bags, some 195 bags and yes only 1 such flight. does it matter? if you take at random 15 flights perhaps 1 is a "heavy" for the loaders.
when i was still at flightcare loadcontrol you never had a loading team doing more then one JAF (or RAM for example) rotation and actually on such flights you hardly ever have a team doing both unloading and loading of the same a/c
have you ever done loading 9vsmu?

Passenger

Post by Passenger »

Allow me to copy/paste a reader's reaction on the online newspaper Het Laatste Nieuws about this strike: "Natuurlijk vergeten ze te zeggen dat op momenten dat het minder druk is, men gewoon in de refter zit tv te kijken tot er weer een oproep binnenkomt om een bak te laden of te lossen en dat je na 4 bakken je zowiezo even van een pauze kunt genieten. De enige bakken waar wat werk aan is, zijn die van RAM en alles wat van en naar CDG gaat voor Afrika. Grote kisten zoals de A330 zijn vaak met containers en gaan automatisch. De 757 en 767 via de "snake" in het ruim waar je de koffers gewoon op legt."

Translated, in brief:

The unions don't tell that the loaders spend quite some time just drinking coffee and watch television while they await the next plane... After 4 planes, there is a guarantueed break... The only heavy workload are the RAM and the feeders for/from CDG's Africa flights... The luggage in large aircraft like A330 is transferred in containers... For 757 and 767, the "snake" transports the suitcases into the cargo hold and you just have to put the cases on it...

9vsmu

Post by 9vsmu »

cnc wrote:
9vsmu wrote: 33min on full 738 !!!
well yes just bags, some 195 bags and yes only 1 such flight. does it matter? if you take at random 15 flights perhaps 1 is a "heavy" for the loaders.
when i was still at flightcare loadcontrol you never had a loading team doing more then one JAF (or RAM for example) rotation and actually on such flights you hardly ever have a team doing both unloading and loading of the same a/c
have you ever done loading 9vsmu?
I'm in loadcontrol +25years, so I know a few things and I've seen/heard a lot.

cnc

Post by cnc »

9vsmu wrote: I'm in loadcontrol +25years, so I know a few things and I've seen/heard a lot.
and you actually defend them? wow talking about working with your eyes closed.
anyway i'm glad we are served by Aviapartner, they care a little bit more about their clients and pax

SNam

Post by SNam »

Passenger wrote:Allow me to copy/paste a reader's reaction on the online newspaper Het Laatste Nieuws about this strike: "Natuurlijk vergeten ze te zeggen dat op momenten dat het minder druk is, men gewoon in de refter zit tv te kijken tot er weer een oproep binnenkomt om een bak te laden of te lossen en dat je na 4 bakken je zowiezo even van een pauze kunt genieten. De enige bakken waar wat werk aan is, zijn die van RAM en alles wat van en naar CDG gaat voor Afrika. Grote kisten zoals de A330 zijn vaak met containers en gaan automatisch. De 757 en 767 via de "snake" in het ruim waar je de koffers gewoon op legt."

Translated, in brief:

The unions don't tell that the loaders spend quite some time just drinking coffee and watch television while they await the next plane... After 4 planes, there is a guarantueed break... The only heavy workload are the RAM and the feeders for/from CDG's Africa flights... The luggage in large aircraft like A330 is transferred in containers... For 757 and 767, the "snake" transports the suitcases into the cargo hold and you just have to put the cases on it...
This is true it happens but is a little exaggerated, if you pass in the "kantine" during summer season you will find nobody inside. It seems that there is no way to explain the workload of these guys during the season. Which i can understand but on the other hand they deserve some credit as well. And that is for everybody at the airport loaders, cleaners and so on.

SNam

Post by SNam »

cnc wrote:
9vsmu wrote: I'm in loadcontrol +25years, so I know a few things and I've seen/heard a lot.
anyway i'm glad we are served by Aviapartner, they care a little bit more about their clients and pax
We worked for the same company? I can hardly believe..

At Aviapartner you have these situations as well.

I worked as a student for 5 years as a "bagagist" and then later as red cap and for sure i had days like hell as "bagagist" or red cap. I defend them because i respect what they do and because i know what there situation is even if they have lazy days, they get on their knees to put those bags in a hold that is not higher then 1m.

I am not defending the strike not at all, but i support that they are asking for some reinforcement. Like everybody they want to do their job comfortable and safe.(ergonomic)

cnc

Post by cnc »

well perhaps they should start by changing their attitude first and then turn to management.
it bothered me at sabena, at BGS and at flightcare. unwilling to be flexible and polyvalent, no interest in providing good service...
its a shame really. MOP's will not help loading, loaders rather wait in the car then to help out the team on the stand next to them etc etc

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

From Brussels Airport (typos corrected by us):
Earlier,tonight, a strike situation started with Swissport, one of both handling agents at Brussels Airport.

This leads to delayed baggage delivery and delayed departures. At this moment, no flights have been cancelled due to this situation. Airlines do their utmost to get the flights that were scheduled tonight to fly to their destination.

It is very likely that this situation continues on Monday morning. In that case, delayed luggage, delayed flight departures and cancelled flights are possible.

Passengers who fly from Brussels Airport in the morning, are advised to check their flight status at http://www.brusselsairport.be/ or the website of their airline. If their flight is cancelled, please check the airline website for alternatives. we apologize for any inconvenience, and will try to keep you informed. For fast changing updates, you may prefer to check our twitter account
... and this one:
Arriving passengers who wait for their bags, can go home and file a baggage file on the website of their airline if no staff at bags counter
André
ex Sabena #26567

9vsmu

Post by 9vsmu »

cnc wrote:

I do not defend them. I can understand them. They got promises from the management, but that is what it is.

Sure, a 737 can be turned in under 40min, but that is 1 one flight on 1 occasion.
Management tends to use these exceptions as a standard to set up SLA. You must understand it doesn't need much to create chaos.

Tomskii

Post by Tomskii »

cnc wrote:
Oh right, you must have forgotten about AP's strike streak from a few years ago.

Utter bullshit!