Compulsive shopping: super-8 camera... any hint to use it?

This is the place to hang out when you have finished your aviation related discussions, please remain always friendly and respectful against each other! Offensive and/or racist remarks are not allowed.
SpottairBRU

Compulsive shopping: super-8 camera... any hint to use it?

Post by SpottairBRU »

Hi everybody!

Yesterday, there was a "garage sale" (brocante / rommel markt) in my street. Besides other things (among them a Herpa 1/400 scale model of a Korean Air B747-400 in perfect state for... 0,50€ :mrgreen: ), I bought a super-8 video camera (5€). Don't know why I did it, must be a case of compulsive shopping :)

The camera as an object looks nice, is in a perfect state (I mean, no scratch, dust, or visible damage), and I believe it is still working (I'll try as soon as I can find 4 AA batteries). Now, if the mechanical part (motor, focus, zoom, etc) works, I'd like to have a try in filming some subjects, old-school style.

However, I have a very limited experience in using such object, so I thought that some of you might have more knowledge than I have. Here are some basic questions:

- Are there some shops in Belgium that still sell super-8 film rolls (the closer from Brussels, the better)? My search on the web indicated that the nearest shop was in France (Lille)
- Once I have made my movie, how can I watch it? I know there are some "development" studio that can put it on DVD or computer movie format, although a bit expensive. As my (future) father-in-law has a working super-8 movie projector, can I simply put it on the projector and "play it"? Or is a development still needed?
- Are there some precaution to take when using the roll films?

Thanks for your advice!

PS: for those wanting to know what camera I bought: http://www.super8data.com/database/came ... _tl800.htm

Fabien
Flown: AA5 / A300-310-318-319-320-321-330-340-380 / ATR42 / B717-737-747-757-777 / Bae146 / C130H / CRJ700-900 / Dash8-Q400 / E145-195 / Fokker 50 / HS748 / MD81 / RJ85-100 / Robin DR400