Simultaneous usage of 3 runways at BRU?

A forum to discuss all aviation items (not for latest aviation news and military aviation news)

Moderator: Latest news team

Flybe

Simultaneous usage of 3 runways at BRU?

Post by Flybe »

Hello all,

I live next to BRU and can see all runways from my windows. The last couple of weekends I noticed something that i hadn't noticed before: all 3 runways were used simultaneously.

Today again, I was looking at a take-off at RWY 20, while a second later I also noticed a take-off from RWY 25R. And a bit later another plane touched down on RWY 25L. This went on for quite a while.

As I already said, I've noticed this for a few weekends now (not much home during the week to notice this) and I haven't seen this the past years.

Was I just not paying enough attention the last couple of years, or are they maybe testing this? Because, as I can imagine: more runways to be used simultaneously = more slots. And in the morning, slots are valuable in BRU.

Thanks for the answers!
Flybe.

Bottie

Re: Simultaneous usage of 3 runways at BRU?

Post by Bottie »

I've seen this before in the last years, not that often, but it happened before

hvs89

Post by hvs89 »

It's like that every sunday. I guess the reasons are the complaints of Awacss, Wake Up Kraainem and other groups?

BigJets

Post by BigJets »

Using all runways is not unusual. It can be for many reasons.:
1) If the winds are not too strong then there is no problem using both runways 20 or 25R for take-off
2) It can also depend on the destination of the aircraft. Flights heading east for example would take a short cut by using runway 20 instead of 25R, saving time and fuel for the aircraft and avoiding to occupy unnecessary airspace.
3) The spreading of flights for noise abatement.
4) Relieving traffic congestion during busy periods of the day can also be a reason.
The opposite is also true.:
Simultaneous departures and landings on runway 02, as well as departures from 07L (mostly cargo aircraft) and 07R, also for the same reasons.

Flybe

Post by Flybe »

Thanks everyone for the answers.

I knew about the cargo aircrafts using sometimes other runways then most passenger aircrafts, but it really struck me lately that many planes were using all RWYs at the same moment.

I guess I just didn't pay enough attention before :oops:

Kind regards,
Flybe

Sabena320

Post by Sabena320 »

It's already like that for some years indeed. They give you 25R or 20 depending on your departure route. As far as I know they divide it like this:

25R: ELSIK, NIK, HELEN, DENUT, KOK and CIV.

20: LNO, SPI, SOPOK, PITES and ROUSY.

Roughly, the departure routes to the west and north are from 25R, and to the south and east are from runway 20.

Toutpti

Post by Toutpti »

25R: ELSIK, NIK, HELEN, DENUT, KOK and CIV.

20: LNO, SPI, SOPOK, PITES and ROUSY.
Another point to take into account is that you will almost never see rwy 20 departures during military ops hours... I explain : A left hand turn inbound SOPOK when taking off from 20 would be too tightened for PAX airplanes when aerobatic and air defence sectors are activated (you have to avoid it). So they use 25R, make a right turn and proceed to SOPOK when entering the airway.
(believe me this is how it works --> I work as ATC in military area control belgium ;) )

I hope it helped a bit to understand the reason why :)

Good day,

Laurent
Have a good day,

Laurent,
Air Traffic Controller

jan_olieslagers

Post by jan_olieslagers »

Laurent, thank you very much for the interesting comment. Am I right in understanding you are mainly referring to the various airspace regions controlled by EBBE Beauvechain?