New long-haul revolutionary configuration at B.Airlines

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

tolipanebas

brussels airlines to New York!

Post by tolipanebas »

Also today, SN presented its new cabin product to the press in a ceremony at its HQ: as expected, its new seats are identical to those used by LX: Really nice.

http://www.brusselsairlines.com/en_be/m ... ience.aspx

Bralo20

Re: brussels airlines to New York!

Post by Bralo20 »

From Twitter:

http://twitpic.com/85k3dd
http://instagr.am/p/f9H7R/

1.200 tickets sold in the first 24h after launch of SN501/2

Thanks to Bart Lapers on Twitter

tolipanebas

Post by tolipanebas »

Bralo20 wrote:1.200 tickets sold in the first 24h after launch of SN501/2
I've been told sales are going really well indeed, not just here, but especially in the target markets in Africa, which is why SN decided to add the JFK flight in the first place....

For a detailed look at the specifications of the new C class seat, have a look here:
http://www.contour.aero/businessclass/vantage
Having flown LX C class several times last year, I can confirm it is a real gem indeed, as it is indeed full lie flat, contrary to many other C class seats (including those of LH). Definitely the best C class seat out there at present!

Bralo20

Post by Bralo20 »

Press Release on luchtzak: viewtopic.php?f=31&t=46485

sn26567

New long-haul revolutionary configuration at B.Airlines

Post by sn26567 »

This morning I was invited at the press conference for the inauguration of the new long-haul seat configuration of Brussels Airlines.

The VP Communication Geert Sciot introduced the speaker, Bernard Gustin, Co-CEO of Brussels Airline.
Introduction by VP Communication by G. Sciot
Introduction by VP Communication by G. Sciot
Gustin started with saying that in 2011 Brussels Airlines carried 17,1% more passengers in Europe than in 2010, and 16,3% more to/from Africa. The negative cash-flow was a temporary situation that the new strategy will help to correct. The new cabin is part of this strategy.
Presentation by co-CEO B. Gustin
Presentation by co-CEO B. Gustin
He then commented the re-introduction in June of flights to New York JFK after 10 years of absence: a necessity because New York is the most popular long haul route out of Belgium. The route will be linked to Africa demand and operated in cooperation with Lufthansa, United and Air Canada. The first results were very positive, with 1200 reservations in the first 24 hours.
Introduction of flights to New York
Introduction of flights to New York
Gustin then discussed African operations with increased frequencies to Cameroon: Yaounde from 2 to 6 weekly frequencies and Douala from 3 to 7; to the Ivory Coast: Abidjan from 3 to 7 frequencies; to Kenya: Nairobi from 3 to 4; and Burundi: Bujumbura from 2 to 3 weekly frequencies. Dakar is reduced from 7 to 4 flights weekly, but with increased capacities, because there are only direct flights and no longer triangular flights. Finally there are more non-stop flights to and from Kinshasa (resp. 4 and 6).

The intercontinental expansion justifies that 2 Airbus A330-200 aircraft join the long haul fleet, which has now 7 A330s, for 90 weekly long haul flights (+ 24). Gustin did not mention any further increase in 2012.

Now let's move to the main purpose of the conference: the presentation of the new cabin configuration by Product Manager Eric Kergoat. This will represent an investment of 30 million euro.
Presentation of the new seats
Presentation of the new seats
First, a new business cabin of 30 seats, the best of its class. The cabin configuration will be alternating 1-2-1 and 2-1-2 seating, which enables the armrests of one row to host underneath the end of the flat bed of the next row. Thus there are 9 individual seats and no less than 24 seats with direct aisle access.
Business class seats
Business class seats
Business class seats
Business class seats
B. Gustin in a business class seat
B. Gustin in a business class seat
In addition, the full flat bed (197 cm, 180°) is equipped with a pneumatic cushion system providing a unique level of comfort through personal adjustment by the passenger and eliminating pressure points of the body.
Full flat bed
Full flat bed
The seat is also equipped with an adjustable mood light system that varies with the seat position, creating a unique atmosphere.
Individual controls with mood light
Individual controls with mood light
Individual controls
Individual controls
In front of the seat, a 39 cm touch/scroll screen controlled by the passenger (no more switches), and in-seat power sockets for PCs, an iPod connector (to watch own videos), USB ports to recharge smartphones and other equipment.
IFE screens demonstrated by B. Gustin
IFE screens demonstrated by B. Gustin
Touch/scroll screens in business class
Touch/scroll screens in business class
The C class lavatories have also bee redesigned with LED mood lights.

The new economy cabin (258 seats) has also received a complete face lift. The seat pitch is 83 cm (33 in.), the best in its class. The new seats stylishly designed in Italy, have a generous recline (10.6°) and an adjustable leather headrest.
New economy class seats
New economy class seats
Each seat has an individual touch/scroll screen of 23 cm and a USB power port.
Economy class touch/scroll screens
Economy class touch/scroll screens
Economy class IFE
Economy class IFE
An airshow developed by Lufthansa for the A380 includes 3D views (day and night), cockpit and over wing views, a flight info banner and service about connecting flights.

This new configuration is also greener, as it enables to save 500 kg per aircraft (1270 tonnes of CO2 per year).

The first newly equipped aircraft will be ready in spring, enabling New York service to start with the new configuration for all its flights. The entire fleet will be completed at the end of 2012.

Copyright text and pictures André Orban
André
ex Sabena #26567

tolipanebas

Re: New long-haul revolutionary configuration at Brussels Ai

Post by tolipanebas »

Nice report, SN26567.

Some of us already discussed the presentation in the related topic regarding JFK, this morning; since there were some additional pictures and urls posted, allow me to link them into this topic.

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=46199&p=259022#p259018 and beyond.

sn26567

Re: New long-haul revolutionary configuration at B.Airlines

Post by sn26567 »

Thanks, tolipanebas. I split the posts from the New York topic and merged them into this one.
André
ex Sabena #26567

tolipanebas

Post by tolipanebas »

Some other eye catching features, like Lufthansa's Niceview, also deserve their own link:

http://www.lufthansa-technik.com/applic ... on=initial

RoMax

Post by RoMax »

This brings their long haul product (at least the seats,...for the rest of their service I have no experience...) to the top of Europe. :D This product is a huge jump forward compared to the current product, altough I heard their current C product isn't that bad either (but a bit outdated).

This is going to be a huge year for SN's long haul network...the introduction of JFK, the introduction of a brand new state of the art interior, a big expansion in Africa,... I know at least one airline(group) that is not going to be happy with that...(AF/KL, for who didn't knew which one I ment). Based on the current shedules SN will increase their market share on the EU-AFI market more than AF will (SN will go from 9% to 12% and AF from 30% to 31% based on seat capacity and there are rumours AF will pull back from Monrovia and Freetown), SN will increase their transfer capabilities thanks to their own JFK flight, SN will introduce a new (great) product,...

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

MR_Boeing wrote:This brings their long haul product (at least the seats,...for the rest of their service I have no experience...) to the top of Europe.
For the rest, Gustin said that the crew service would be above standard.

About the IFE, I forgot to mention that the whole content (100 hours, incl. 30 movies and documentories and news programmes and 40 hours of music) would be stored locally in the screen, hence no cables and wires running through the aircraft.
André
ex Sabena #26567

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

tolipanebas wrote:Some other eye catching features, like Lufthansa's Niceview, also deserve their own link:

http://www.lufthansa-technik.com/applic ... on=initial
At Brussels Airlines it will be called "Airshow" and feature 3D views of an SN A300-300.
André
ex Sabena #26567

regi

Post by regi »

What I see is a free advertisement for Apple. :)
As a Apple user ( and maybe a bit of a fan as well ) , it surprises me often how many times you see a Apple laptop appear in movies. Compared to other brands, Apple really pops out.

funki

Post by funki »

In 2011 a recordloss of € 70-80 million and now an investment of € 30 million...(that's 1200 million old BEF! for new seats and IFE). Hope it's the right 'gamble'.
Nevertheless the seats and IFE look nice ;-)

flightlover

Post by flightlover »

sn26567 wrote:
MR_Boeing wrote:This brings their long haul product (at least the seats,...for the rest of their service I have no experience...) to the top of Europe.
For the rest, Gustin said that the crew service would be above standard.

About the IFE, I forgot to mention that the whole content (100 hours, incl. 30 movies and documentories and news programmes and 40 hours of music) would be stored locally in the screen, hence no cables and wires running through the aircraft.
Let me guess; they are installing Ipad's or something like that in a special bracket on the backrest of the seat in front. Can we take it with us after flight? If so that launch offer to NY is a real steal :lol:

fretn

Post by fretn »

Are the Y-seats the same as LX? If so good choice, they are really cosy, even for economy!

RoMax

Post by RoMax »

flightlover wrote:
Let me guess; they are installing Ipad's or something like that in a special bracket on the backrest of the seat in front. Can we take it with us after flight? If so that launch offer to NY is a real steal :lol:
It's the RAVE system of IMS. The idea behind is that every screen is independent. If it's broken, it's just that seat and not 2 or 3 seats (as this is often the case with other IFE as there are boxes for a few seats). I've seen a video of IMS where is shown that the cabin crew remove one of them and replace it with a spare one which could be taken onboard. So you can call it an sort of Ipad... :P But taken it after the flight...would be nice but I doubt it. :mrgreen:

convair

Post by convair »

Does anyone know howlong it will take to "treat" one 333/332 ?

brusselsairlinesfan

Post by brusselsairlinesfan »

I am very happy about the new brussels airlines BRU-JFK fligts... finally got 2 tickets (me & my wife) including the inaugural flight!
Happy to fly on the refurbished A330 also! Contrary to Flanker, I think the new interior looks very good and above the european and american standards... hope it will help in facing the competition on the BRU-NYC market!

cnc

Post by cnc »

sn26567 wrote: This new configuration is also greener, as it enables to save 500 kg per aircraft (1270 tonnes of CO2 per year).
lol it actually means they will take 500kg more on payload or fuel :lol:

azingrew

Post by azingrew »

Are the Y-seats the same as LX? If so good choice, they are really cosy, even for economy!

Really ? This is the first time I hear this !
A friend of mine just flew to HonK Kong with SR in Y and told me those were the worst seat he'd ever experienced ( I guess they are the new "Recaro"). Paper thin, he used a pilow to sit on it all the way through. I thought there was a discussion here recently and the general feeling was that people didn't like them. So what is it?