Boeing 787 news

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

JAF737

Re: Boeing 787 news

Post by JAF737 »

Passenger wrote:
JAF737 wrote:
Passenger wrote:Air India inflight incident : "internal fire in an oven"

http://avherald.com/h?article=465e2d54&opt=0
Would it be possible to keep this thread interesting with NEWS about the B787?
Fire in ovens happen every day in single type of aircraft...
This is getting really boring.
This IS news about the 787. It's not good news, but then the topic title isn't “787 good news only”.

And yes, oven firesand galley problems occur - although not daily like you suggest. And surely not with crew needing to “…discharge fire extinguishers onto and into the oven…” (quote AvHerald). Fact is that this is yet another electrical problem for the 787.
It's news about a fire that occured in the oven of a B787. And yes, it does happen daily, if not more than daily.

As Kriva said, many times it's due to stupid things like wrong plastic bags that are not designed to be heated up in the oven, stickers left behind, and many, many more. You don't know the reason for this oven fire at all, and the way it is reported is probably far from reality.

sean1982

Post by sean1982 »

I'm with JAF and KriVa on this. It has NOTHING to do with the aircraft type, let alone it being an "electrical problem" : :roll:

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

More serious than ovens:

Japan's ANA finds damaged battery wires on Boeing Dreamliner locator beacons

Japan's ANA, which operates the world's biggest fleet of Boeing Dreamliners, said it found damage to the battery wiring on two 787 locator beacons during checks after the devices were identified as the likely cause of a fire on another aircraft in London this month.

The damage was slight, but the beacons have been sent to the manufacturer Honeywell for inspection and the airline has informed local aviation regulators.

ANA has taken the built-in locator beacons out of its eight domestically operated Dreamliners with the permission of local regulators and has inspected and put back those on its 12 787s that fly international routes.

Full story from Reuters
André
ex Sabena #26567

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

LOT still seeking damages from Boeing over Dreamliner

LOT said today it would continue to pursue hefty damages from Boeing over the grounding of the Dreamliners, which the airline said hurt its efforts to restructure its ailing business.

"We are demanding from Boeing concrete sums that we have been able to calculate," said LOT CEO Sebastian Mikosz. "Unfortunately, it's not possible to estimate all the losses to our image related to the loss of credibility among some of our customers."

Full story from Reuters
André
ex Sabena #26567

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Another grounding! A Qatar 787 (A7-BCB) has been grounded by the airline since Sunday, reportedly for a "minor problem". Boeing and Qatar will not elaborate, but some sources say it's related to another electrical problem, smoke was seen escaping from an electrical panel.
André
ex Sabena #26567

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

You'll get never dull with the 787. The Wall Street Journal has released the breaking news that United Airlines found pinched wiring on one Boeing 787 emergency transmitter (ELT) after it had completed FAA mandated inspections on its 787 fleet.
André
ex Sabena #26567

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Sometimes, there is also good news about the 787. Boeing has released the first photo of the Boeing 787-9 Dreamliner (ZB001) fully painted in Boeing colours (I thought it was going to be the Air New Zealand colours, but these are better):

More info: viewtopic.php?f=31&t=50937
André
ex Sabena #26567

Air Key West

Post by Air Key West »

I wondered if I should post this, but since luchtzak is a discussion forum, why not. FWIW, a friend of mine who is an aviation engineer (I won't say more, don't ask) said when Boeing announced the details of its Dreamliner project that this was probably the most risky aviation project ever and that he had serious doubts about the new technical specifications of the aircraft. I met him a few days ago and he said : do you remember what I said about the Dreamliner ? (yes, I did). And he added : the Dreamliner has become a Nightmareliner and it will take very long before it becomes totally reliable, if it ever does. He explained why, but don't ask me to repeat it. I'm totally incapable of doing so ; I'm not a techincal expert, but what he said made sense. My own conclusion : I will not at the moment at least book a flight on a 787.
In favor of quality air travel.

JAF737

Post by JAF737 »

It's actually very easy. There are pro and anti B787 people. Of course, the B787 is a revolution in aviation and that's why it's so successful. Obviously Airbus doesn't like it and medias from all over Europe (well... from all over the planet nowadays...) try to stick a bad picture on the dreamliner.

To my eyes, it's still a fantastic aircraft with excellent new features. But what did you all really expect? That it would go that easily? Yeah yeah... just put yourself back a couple of years ago with the numerous A380 issues. People were not that anti A380 though... ask yourself why?

I'd book a flight on the B787 tomorrow... oh well, even better, I'll go and fly it in the front seat ;-)

cnc

Post by cnc »

actually the real criticism from the clients maintenance dep. hardly ever comes in the media and for good reasons. its not only bad for boeing but also for the airlines using the 787
nothing todo with pro or contra 787/boeing

tolipanebas

Post by tolipanebas »

Not to rain on your parade, JAF737, but seriously: the 787 is 'just' another plane...
sure, it'll be great fun to fly and it'll hopefully make good money for its operators, but that's about it.

All the rest, whether it's the constant bashing of its not really brilliant reliability and even safety record at present from one side, or the constant PR talk about the 'revolutionary aspects which need time to mature' from the other side, is giving way too much credit and attention to something as dull as another new medium sized long haul twin.

Let's be fair: there's really nothing revolutionary on the 787 and on several technological aspects the plane is still behind on Airbus, but I agree, for a Boeing plane it's a big step forward, but then Boeing were coming from miles behind too.

Anyhow, enjoy flying the 787 when it arrives. :thumbup:
I hope you like the cockpit? I personally find it looks pretty cramped, cluttered and not very comforable for a widebody, but then maybe I am too used to the wide open space of the Airbus flightdeck?
A sidestick opens up a path to so much more ergonomy and comfort, it's really a pitty Boeing are about the only ones who still hold on to a joke these days...

Streetstream

Post by Streetstream »

JAF737 wrote:just put yourself back a couple of years ago with the numerous A380 issues. People were not that anti A380 though)
You must be joking. Did the A380 experience a grounding? Did it have 4 fires in the first 2 years?

I'm not saying that the 787 is a bad plane, but its electrical system is sh*t. Boeing needs to review it and do it fast before one goes down.

It's easy to blame all the faults of the 787 on bad publicity, but this one is just plain and simple Boeing's failing and it's really childish to blame Airbus.

Desert Rat

Post by Desert Rat »

I heard as well that Boeing is facing big problem with the Electric braking system, doesn't work how it should...

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

sn26567 wrote:Another grounding! A Qatar 787 (A7-BCB) has been grounded by the airline since Sunday, reportedly for a "minor problem". Boeing and Qatar will not elaborate, but some sources say it's related to another electrical problem, smoke was seen escaping from an electrical panel.
After 10 days of grounding, the Qatar Dreamliner A7-BCB is flying again. There is still no confirmation what the issue was.
André
ex Sabena #26567

RoMax

Post by RoMax »

sn26567 wrote: If The Aviation Herald deems necessary to mention such an incident, it means that it is serious enough to be mentioned to aviation enthusiasts.
If you would mention every incident The Aviation Herald publishes every day, you should prepare for more room on the server... Many of the mentionned incidents overhere are indeed serious enough to be mentionned, but the 10th 'incident' with the ELT we know there are problems with...getting boring. Some of the other so called "serious incidents", "groundings" (well yes if an aircraft has a technical problem with which it can't fly it's grounded, happens not only with the 787 last time I checked) are not even close to being that significant as some want to show it.
But ok, same happened with the A380 back then (Emirates grounded one or two of their brand new A380's due to a problem with the electrical system, Singapore Airlines had a black out in a A380 galley due to electrical issues, ... I can name some more, yes the 787 has many many more, but it's also the first aircraft that's basicly a flying power plant without using bleed air and the first one to use li-ion batteries in such a scale in a commercial aircraft). And yes the A380 problems were not that serious for sure, I agree on that with Streetstream.
tolipanebas wrote: Let's be fair: there's really nothing revolutionary on the 787 and on several technological aspects the plane is still behind on Airbus, but I agree, for a Boeing plane it's a big step forward, but then Boeing were coming from miles behind too.
With all due respect for Airbus, they do build aircraft which are probably more technologicly advanced. But nothing revolutionary about the 787? Then what is revolutionary about the A380 compared to the A330/A340 family? Slightly bigger and that's it? No of course not and neither that's the case with the 787. The first commercial aircraft with full composited wings, and most of it's fuselage allowing a higher cabin pressure and humidity besides bigger windows. What about the fact that the 787 doesn't use bleed air en mass and is in fact a hug electrical power plant (which has it's problems, that's true), the first commercial aircraft to fully abandon classic heavy and less performing batteries (another thing that caused problems and let Airbus decide to get the li-ion batteries out of their A350's for the time being). What about the hybrid laminar flow control system in the leading edges of the 787-9 vertical stabilizor (and other new laminar flow technologies incorporated in the whole 787).

Yes many of these things don't seem to be that revolutionary and obvious as with the A380 or back in the seventies with the 747 or so on. But that doesn't mean it's not revolutionary and even Airbus will be the last to deny that the 787 is revolutionary on many aspects.

I can't deny Airbus has always been ahead of Boeing when talking about fly by wire, cockpit systems and standardization,... But is that because Boeing is less capable? No, that's because they have another way of thinking on many aspects. Just as with their cockpits, that they don't use joysticks. As long as Boeing pilots are not complaining about it en mass, why changing it, many pilots prefer Boeing over Airbus, others prefer Airbus over Boeing. If Boeing would be miles behind Airbus, they wouldn't be where they are today. When looking at the latest 10 years, Airbus is bigger, but it's not that they are dominating the whole market, not at all, if they would be miles in front of Boeing, they would also be miles in front of Boeing when talking about sales, profits, ... If the "out-dated" Boeings work for airlines, why making it more revolutionary to add that percent when it costs you much more on development or profit margins (Airbus may be bigger, Boeing Commercial's profit margins are higher).

cnc

Post by cnc »

Sorry Romax but
RoMax wrote:but it's also the first aircraft that's basicly a flying power plant without using bleed air and the first one to use li-ion batteries in such a scale in a commercial aircraft)
... no argument. this is commercial aviation!
if i'd sell you a 200 000 euro car and i'd be more in the garage due to breakdowns then you driving it on the road i'm sure you wouldn't be happy either, let alone the fact there could be a serious issue causing a deadly accident.
if boeing needed more time on some new techs they should have postponed delivery. look at the price they are to pay now with the 787 program

RoMax

Post by RoMax »

cnc wrote:S
if boeing needed more time on some new techs they should have postponed delivery. look at the price they are to pay now with the 787 program
I fully agree. My statement you quoted was not ment in a way of "this isn't Boeing's fault".

RoMax

Post by RoMax »

The ELT's of Honeywell used by the 787 are also used on other aircraft. Transport Canada (the Canadian authorities, the ELT's are made in Canada) issued an AD (airworthiness directive) for all aircraft operating with these ELTs. That includes aircraft of Boeing, Airbus and Dassault. Airlines have to inspect the ELT's within a certain amount of time or the involved aircraft will not be allowed to fly. Previously FAA and EASA already issued an AD to inspect all 787 ELT's, but as the same ELT's are also used on other aicraft, Canada wants these to be inspected as well.

Back in 2009 they already issued a airworthiness directive because of a certain ELT type of Honeywell, because of signal interference.

http://www.luchtvaartnieuws.nl/nl-NL/Ar ... noodbakens

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

British Airways made (and is still making) its A380 test trials on the LHR-FRA route. It will now send its first 787 to Stockhom ARN for its trial flight on 09 August 2013 (flights BA780/781).
André
ex Sabena #26567

andorra-airport

Post by andorra-airport »

sn26567 wrote:British Airways made (and is still making) its A380 test trials on the LHR-FRA route. It will now send its first 787 to Stockhom ARN for its trial flight on 09 August 2013 (flights BA780/781).

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5533/9445 ... d831_b.jpg