BREAKING NEWS: Iceland's most active volcano erupting

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

crlhub

BREAKING NEWS: Iceland's most active volcano erupting

Post by crlhub »

Update from ABC7: A no-fly zone has been enacted within a 120-mile radius of the erupting volcano in Iceland.
From MSNBC: BREAKING NEWS: Iceland's most active volcano erupting; white plume up to 18,000 feet seen.
And there goes European air traffic once again, with its already stagflationary economy to follow down the drains momentarily

http://www.zerohedge.com/article/icelan ... as-erupted
Attachments
grims%200.jpg

andorra-airport

Re: BREAKING NEWS: Iceland's most active volcano erupting

Post by andorra-airport »

Grímsvötnum the vulcano (more easy to pronounch then Eyjafjallajökull ;) ) is very active, but the eruption is not so big. No worries.

There is a nice "booom" at "21" : http://www.yr.no/satellitt/europa_animasjon.html

Depretair

Post by Depretair »

Icelandic airspace is closed !!! :?

RoMax

Post by RoMax »

Depretair wrote:Icelandic airspace is closed !!! :?
They don't expect it to come to continental Europe this time, it will go north, north east normally.

Comet

Post by Comet »

There have been loads of eruptions in Iceland without causing any major disruption (unless you are in Iceland). What happened last year was quite unprecedented, with such a massive shutdown of airspace. I don't recall any other Icelandic volcanoes causing disruption on such a scale.
Sabena and Sobelair - gone but never forgotten.
Louise

LJY

Post by LJY »

Latest new from the NOP Portal of Eurocontrol:

CFMU have been adviced by Icelandic met office that there has been a volcanic eruption of volcano Grimsvotn in Iceland at 20110521 1900Z. The plume hight estimated by radar 15-17 km.

ASH CLOUD IS EXPECTED TO REACH NORTH SCOTLAND ON TUEDSDAY 24TH MAY.
IF VOLCANIC EMISSIONS CONTINUE WITH SAME INTENSITY CLOUD MIGHT
REACH WEST FRENCH AIRSPACE AND NORTH SPAIN ON THURSDAY 26TH MAY.

NO AIRSPACE CLOSURES ARE EXPECTED FOR TODAY AND TOMORROW EXCEPT IN ICELANDIC AIRSPACE/AERODROMES.

ALL ICELANDIC A/D'S ARE CLOSED UNTIL 1900 UTC ON 22ND MAY, AND IT IS VERY LIKELY THAT THEY WILL CONTINUE TO BE CLOSED.

VEX802

Post by VEX802 »

An update on the situation from the Daily Telegraph is indicating that Scotland might be affected by midday Tuesday although, as the report says, this "must be treated with caution."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worl... ... esday.html

Members of airliners.net are claiming that the ash cloud could reach other parts of UK /Western France and Northern Spain by Thurs/Fri if the eruption continues at same level; and even Belgium by thursday.
(one again I do not know if this information is reliable). Nevertheless, I was planning to fly to Milan next Friday...

tolipanebas

Post by tolipanebas »

Contrary to last year, this time air space will not automatically be closed when it is contaminated with ash particles. Whereas before there were only 2 classifications 'safe' or 'closed', the EU has now agreed with the industry this was in fact too strict a classification, so they have accepted that there is in fact a density threshold below which ash particles are pretty much completely harmless and so you can expect most -if not all- of the European airspace to remain open throughout any ash cloud passage (if ever), except of course in the immediate vicinity of the eruption....

earthman

Post by earthman »

Last year I was in Turkey and then a volcano on Iceland erupted and I got stranded.

This year I am again in Turkey, and wtf!?

galaxy

Post by galaxy »

earthman wrote:Last year I was in Turkey and then a volcano on Iceland erupted and I got stranded.

This year I am again in Turkey, and wtf!?
Go to Iceland next year.You will enjoy . :lol:

regi

Post by regi »

What will be the reaction of the worlds most favourite airline this time if the airspace is NOT closed and their engines suffer major damage ?
Will they send the repair bill to Eurocontroll or what?

andorra-airport

KLM will cancel flights from Amsterdam to Aberdeen, Glasgow, Edinburgh en New Castle tomorrow (May 24) early morning, till 11 o'clock.

regi

Post by regi »

And BA also stops flights between Scotland and London.
http://www.gva.be/nieuws/buitenland/aid ... svotn.aspx

Guess which sole airline objects the SAFETY advise from authorities... :roll:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-13513981

Desert Rat

Post by Desert Rat »

http://www.caa.co.uk/application.aspx?c ... l&nid=1881

UK CAA issued 3 new types of "flying Zone"

-No fly-zone
-TLZ Time limited Zone
-EPZ Enhanced Procedure Zone

luchtzak

Post by luchtzak »

Desert Rat wrote:http://www.caa.co.uk/application.aspx?c ... l&nid=1881

UK CAA issued 3 new types of "flying Zone"

-No fly-zone
-TLZ Time limited Zone
-EPZ Enhanced Procedure Zone
Above how much micrograms per cubic metre volcanic ash it is a no-fly zone ?

bruteboeing

Post by bruteboeing »

i have a strange feeling of a deja vu
Flown on: Boeing: 737 - 757 - 767- 777 | Avro: RJ85 RJ100 | MD-11 | L1011 | CRJ900 | Fokker 70 | Saab 2000

luchtzak

Post by luchtzak »

bruteboeing wrote:i have a strange feeling of a deja vu
Not exactly the answer on my question but yes: I have a strange feeling too, let's hope for the best (and the safest!)

andorra-airport

luchtzak wrote: Above how much micrograms per cubic metre volcanic ash it is a no-fly zone ?
Anything more than 2,000 micrograms per cubic metre is a no-fly zone. Between 2,000 and 200 micrograms requires planes to take extra precautions. Below 200 micrograms is considered no threat at all.

In the UK, the Civil Aviation Authority introduced a further extension, allowing airlines with engine manufacturers’ guarantees to fly through densities of 4,000 micrograms per cubic metre at certain times and for limited periods. Britain also removed a “buffer” zone around the areas of highest density ash.

galaxy

Post by galaxy »

Ryanair called for restrictions on airlines to be lifted after it claimed to have flown a plane safely though the thickest part of the volcanic ash cloud.

' The airline said it strongly objected to the disruption under orders from the Irish Aviation Authority which saw flights cancelled at Glasgow, Edinburgh and Aberdeen.
Ryanair said it had completed a one-hour ''verification flight'' up to 41,000ft in Scottish airspace this morning.
The aircraft took off from Glasgow Prestwick, flew to Inverness, on to Aberdeen and down to Edinburgh.
In a statement, a spokeswoman for the airline said: ''There was no visible volcanic ash cloud or any other presence of volcanic ash and the post-flight inspection revealed no evidence of volcanic ash on the airframe, wings or engines.'

''The absence of any volcanic ash in the atmosphere supports Ryanair's stated view that there is no safety threat to aircraft in this mythical 'red zone', which is another misguided invention by the UK Met Office and the CAA"
''Ryanair has also received written confirmation from both its airframe and engine manufacturers that it is safe to operate in these so-called 'red zones' and, in any event, Ryanair's verification flight this morning also confirms that the 'red zone' over Scotland is non-existent.''
Flights were cancelled after forecasters predicted that the volcanic plume, billowing from Iceland's Grimsvotn volcano, would hit Scotland and Northern Ireland during the morning, with much of the UK being covered by midday.
But Ryanair insisted there was no basis for the flight cancellations.

"Ryanair believe that there is no safety risk to aircraft on fights operating to and from Scotland and, together with other airlines, will be complaining to the Transport Minister and regulatory authorities about these latest and unnecessary cancellations," a company spokesman said."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/trave ... cloud.html