Brussels Airport (BRU) infrastructure: future

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

TLspotting

Re: Brussels Airport (BRU) infrastructure: future

Post by TLspotting »

Miqvell wrote: 25 Sep 2023, 22:18
CRJ 900 wrote: 25 Sep 2023, 21:55 According HLN Dutch rail company Arriva wants to connect Dutch cities like Amsterdam and The Hague with Brussels and BRU. Hope to get permission to start in 2026. Same article mentions ongoing discussions with company Eurostar, but no results yet.
As my friend TL Spotting says, this is very uncertain as NS (the Dutch national company) is expected to have a sort of monopoly until at least 2033, but this is still under discussion...
Indeed. Was already in de Volkskrant on Saturday. Long story short, at the Parliament of The Netherlands, there are discussions at the moment on the new 2025-2033 concession. If the Parliament agrees, the concession of NS will be for a large part of the Dutch railway network with NS keeping it as monopoly, including Amsterdam - Brussels.

However as SNCB/NMBS and Eurostar are partners of NS, they are all allowed to operate. But if Qbuzz starts to Paris, they won't be allowed to sell tickets between Brussels and Amsterdam.

As this concession isn't signed yet, it is kind of a last chance opportunity for Arriva.
Hi. I'm Thibault Lapers. @ThibaultLapers & @TLspotting

Boavida

Post by Boavida »

Atlantis wrote: 14 Sep 2023, 16:21 As mentioned the Diamant will be demolished and the current front of the terminal will be moved more forward to create a bigger/wider terminal inside
If the front of the terminal will be moved forward, I presume the buildings in front of the terminal will be demolished?

Or only the blue and yellow?

And if the Diamant is demolished, how big the extension of the terminal will be? I surely hope it'll cover the entire 'blind wall' (left of the Diamant) we know today.

Something like this? The area that has come available after the demolition of the Swissport building is HUGE. I hope they'll use all of it. They could use this as a new arrival hall (as the current one is way too small and dated (certainly the current baggage reclaim area).

Atlantis

Post by Atlantis »

Boavida wrote: 07 Oct 2023, 16:14
Atlantis wrote: 14 Sep 2023, 16:21 As mentioned the Diamant will be demolished and the current front of the terminal will be moved more forward to create a bigger/wider terminal inside
If the front of the terminal will be moved forward, I presume the buildings in front of the terminal will be demolished?

Or only the blue and yellow?

And if the Diamant is demolished, how big the extension of the terminal will be? I surely hope it'll cover the entire 'blind wall' (left of the Diamant) we know today.

Something like this? The area that has come available after the demolition of the Swissport building is HUGE. I hope they'll use all of it. They could use this as a new arrival hall (as the current one is way too small and dated (certainly the current baggage reclaim area).

Sheraton not bcs it will be even refurbished.

The place, where now the huge building is demolished will be for the expansion of the terminal but also for the new hotel

Atlantis

Post by Atlantis »

In the part of your 'blind wall' will also change a few things. The full car rental will disappear and move to the new build staff parking.
Quite some parts are already empty there, especially on the upper floors. It's a waste of places which can be much better used for pax comfort.

I tried to place the picture here of the new staff/car rental parking but this webside don't allow me this

Boavida

Post by Boavida »

Atlantis wrote: 07 Oct 2023, 22:52 I tried to place the picture here of the new staff/car rental parking but this webside don't allow me this
You can always upload your picture to a 'hosting' site like https://imgbb.com. Then copy-paste the link here (that's how I post pictures here) :)

luchtzak

Post by luchtzak »

Boavida wrote: 07 Oct 2023, 23:59
Atlantis wrote: 07 Oct 2023, 22:52 I tried to place the picture here of the new staff/car rental parking but this webside don't allow me this
You can always upload your picture to a 'hosting' site like https://imgbb.com. Then copy-paste the link here (that's how I post pictures here) :)
You can mail them to www.aviation24.be/contact

lumumba

Post by lumumba »

There is a real taxi problem in Brussels it's been twice in the last three returns(always around 10AM) that there is simply no taxi and a huge queue!!!

We even had to wait 1h30 at midnight because there were simply no more taxis and no more trains.....
Hasta la victoria siempre.

TLspotting

Post by TLspotting »

download.jpg
Hi. I'm Thibault Lapers. @ThibaultLapers & @TLspotting

Atlantis

Post by Atlantis »

TLspotting wrote: 24 Oct 2023, 11:32
download.jpg
Exactly this one

luchtzak

Post by luchtzak »

This is a test, attachments up to 2MiB can be uploaded onto the server.
Smartavia Boeing 737-800 overruns runway at Perm Airport, Russia.jpg

rwandan-flyer

Post by rwandan-flyer »

An article published in April 2023, but it seems that no one put it on this forum

BRU eyes links to Singapour (it will be the case in few months), Manilla, Hong Kong (i guess a return of Cathay Pacific), Delhi, Bangkok (same thing that HKG), Seoul, Taipei, San Fransisco, Boston and Sao Paulo.

Returning Asia Traffic Boosts Brussels Airport

[...]

Elsewhere, Delta Air Lines has resumed flights from New York John F Kennedy, but service from Atlanta remains on hold. Verhallen therefore highlights Atlanta, Bangkok, Hong Kong, Shanghai and Singapore as white spots. Other target destinations for the Belgian airport include Boston, Delhi, Manila, San Francisco, Sao Paulo, Seoul and Taipei.

https://aviationweek.com/air-transport/ ... ls-airport
Rwanda Aviation News (Drones, Air Force, Civil Aviation, Space, Air Balloon): https://www.facebook.com/RwandAn-Flyer-153177931456873

Atlantis

Post by Atlantis »

rwandan-flyer wrote: 31 Oct 2023, 08:08 An article published in April 2023, but it seems that no one put it on this forum

BRU eyes links to Singapour (it will be the case in few months), Manilla, Hong Kong (i guess a return of Cathay Pacific), Delhi, Bangkok (same thing that HKG), Seoul, Taipei, San Fransisco, Boston and Sao Paulo.

Returning Asia Traffic Boosts Brussels Airport

[...]

Elsewhere, Delta Air Lines has resumed flights from New York John F Kennedy, but service from Atlanta remains on hold. Verhallen therefore highlights Atlanta, Bangkok, Hong Kong, Shanghai and Singapore as white spots. Other target destinations for the Belgian airport include Boston, Delhi, Manila, San Francisco, Sao Paulo, Seoul and Taipei.

https://aviationweek.com/air-transport/ ... ls-airport
This is the wishlist of more then 10 years ago

Atlantis

Post by Atlantis »

Some side information. As already known, the airport, in the current stage has a yearly capacity of 30 million pax a year. In 2023 we will reach just over the 22 million pax. The prediction is that by 2026 we will reach again the level of 2019 with 26 million pax a year. This means more or less 2 million pax extra per year (depends on how many new long haul will start as from this year).

Known this and in case that the world would stay calm and save the 30 million pax could be reach by 2028/2029.
A-Pier West comes than in the picture. The construction time would take more or less 2.5 to 3 years.

At the moment there is 600 million euro RCF for planned developments

Atlantis

Post by Atlantis »

Voka already voted in favor of the new environmental permit for BRU. This is a very important vote.
It will be closed on the 10th of January.

crew1990

Post by crew1990 »

What are the proposal of this permit and wich organisation has to sign?

Atlantis

Post by Atlantis »

crew1990 wrote: 03 Jan 2024, 14:24 What are the proposal of this permit and wich organisation has to sign?
One of the most important items in the renewing of the environmental permit is the MER, Milieu Effecten Rapport. But in this, BRU scored very well with all the actions and efforts they took since many year.
Important in this permit is that it will request to work further under the current conditions, the same activities. It's not about expanding the infrastructure or requesting new night slots.

Organisations and local habitants can have a look at the new request and put their complaints or they can give their support/vote, just like Voka did.

It's the Flemish government who will decide to deliver the permit or not.

Conti764

Post by Conti764 »

Atlantis wrote: 03 Jan 2024, 17:01
crew1990 wrote: 03 Jan 2024, 14:24 What are the proposal of this permit and wich organisation has to sign?
One of the most important items in the renewing of the environmental permit is the MER, Milieu Effecten Rapport. But in this, BRU scored very well with all the actions and efforts they took since many year.
Important in this permit is that it will request to work further under the current conditions, the same activities. It's not about expanding the infrastructure or requesting new night slots.

Organisations and local habitants can have a look at the new request and put their complaints or they can give their support/vote, just like Voka did.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but they way I understood a couple of weeks ago in the media, it's not so much inside the current structure (buidlings, etc.) but within the current airport perimeter. So building a new terminal or expansion on the site is possible, extend or build a new runway not.

Atlantis

Post by Atlantis »

Conti764 wrote: 03 Jan 2024, 21:19
Atlantis wrote: 03 Jan 2024, 17:01

Correct me if I'm wrong, but they way I understood a couple of weeks ago in the media, it's not so much inside the current structure (buidlings, etc.) but within the current airport perimeter. So building a new terminal or expansion on the site is possible, extend or build a new runway not.
Hi,
Exactly, new buildings or other expansions are possible and will be. What is out of the question are the runways and extra nightslots (more movements)
Like the airport always said is that they want to expand and grow in pax and cargo. So, all this is in the new permit. What is not there bcs they don't want are new taxiways, prolonging taxiways or runways

PttU

Post by PttU »

Atlantis wrote: 03 Jan 2024, 14:01 Voka already voted in favor of the new environmental permit for BRU. This is a very important vote.
Why would Voka ever be against?

Atlantis

Post by Atlantis »

PttU wrote: 03 Jan 2024, 22:34
Atlantis wrote: 03 Jan 2024, 14:01 Voka already voted in favor of the new environmental permit for BRU. This is a very important vote.
Why would Voka ever be against?
Why we can't place it here if one of the organisations is in favor???? It's related regarding the permit and why it should be all the time negative info here?