Furious Ryanair passengers refuse to leave plane at Liege

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

regi

From Treviso to CRL via ... Seville, with Ryanair

Post by regi »

and other news is that passengers refused to leave a Ryanair plane because it was 3 hours late and landed at Liège instead of Beauvais.
This will become probably a new item today on the forum.

andorra-airport

Furious Ryanair passengers refuse to leave plane at Liege

Post by andorra-airport »

MORE than 100 angry passengers refused to leave a Ryanair flight today after it was diverted to Belgium - demanding instead that they be taken home.

The passengers, mostly French tourists who were supposed to land near Paris after returning from holidays in Morocco, sat in a dark cabin in protest hours after even the pilot and crew had left the plane at Liege airport in southern Belgium.

"The passengers, in retaliation to the company [Ryanair], refuse to come out," an airport police official said.

They were offered one of the airport's transit rooms to wait in, but refused, he added.

A firefighter said the airport was trying to organise buses to take the passengers back to France.

"I have proposed that they come off the plane because they are in the dark here," the firefighter said.

Passengers on the plane said the flight left Fes, Morocco, three hours late at 7.15pm local time yesterday but was unable to land in Beauvais, France, because the airport there had closed.

The plane landed in Liege at around 11.30pm and passengers were still inside it at 3.30am the next morning.

"This is unacceptable," Mylene Netange, who runs a network on social responsibility for business leaders, said.

"The pilot and crew are no longer here. They left us here."

Reda Yahiyaoui, a business owner who was travelling with his wife, a two-month-old baby and a three-year-old, said the passengers had no water and the toilets in the plane were locked.

"The pilot left and he even left the cockpit door open," he said.

A Ryanair spokesperson was not immediately reachable for comment.

(heraldsun.com.au)

Stij

Ryanai diverted to Bierset, pax refuse de leave the airplane

Post by Stij »

From the website "De Redactie"by the VRT... (only in Dutch)
http://www.deredactie.be/cm/vrtnieuws/b ... ir_bierset

Summary in English:
A Ryanair plane departed Fez with a delay of 3 hours and couldn't anymore in Beauvais, its original destination. The plane was diverted to Bierset. After landing 100 pax refused to leave the plane and stayed on board for 4 hours until 3:30. They demanded that the crew flew the plane to Beauvais.

Cheers,

Stij

Stij

Re: Furious Ryanair passengers refuse to leave plane at Lieg

Post by Stij »

Tarararatata! Another Ryanair flight landing on time! Ryanair, for the best fares and the best on time performance of any european airline!

Serious, now my questions:
How big can the difference in landing fees be between Beauvais and CDG if it's more profitable to bus people for 4 hours then to pay the difference?
How stupid can pax be to stay in a FR plane with such unconfortable seats for 4 hours when Beauvais is closed? Did they realy think Ryanair would move?
What crew leaves 100 pax in a plane worth millions?

Very professional! Congratulations Ryanair, crew and pax!

When will people learn? Ryanair is cheap airline but
- don't pay any surcharge for anything
- don't take any luggage with you (10kg trolley isn't luggage)
- don't be a minute late
- don't have your id card stolen
- don't count on any help when things go wrong
- don't forget to have 500€ a person ready in the bank in case things go wrong. More if you travel to an island.
- don't forget your headphones to avoid annoying announcements

A lot of people know this, but everytime I flew them I noted most pax aren't aware of this. Especially when things go wrong!

My statistics abour Ryanair flights going wrong? 5% 4 times out of 77 flights! Only one company beats them: Continental, they managed 100%, but that's because it went wrong on the first flight and I refused to fly them again.

Cheers,

Stij

airazurxtror

Post by airazurxtror »

Statistics for statistics, here are mine : 2 FR flights cancelled out of 352, ie 0,57 % ...

Stij

Post by Stij »

In order not to compare apples with oranges:

Cancellations: 2
Not diverting to the nearest airport that's open(and brutally lying about it): 2

Cheers,

Stij

earthman

Post by earthman »

I have never had any issues with FR flights, but it might have a tiny little bit to do with the fact that I've never flown with them. Makes for good statistics though.

earthman

Post by earthman »

By the way, correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't Ryanair now owe every passenger 600 euro in compensation?

jan_olieslagers

Post by jan_olieslagers »

If so, I'd not be surprised to see them charge each passenger 601€ to make up for all the hassle and extra bother they created.

Acid-drop

Post by Acid-drop »

How stupid can pax be to stay in a FR plane with such unconfortable seats for 4 hours when Beauvais is closed?
That was a lot of stupid/retard (pick one) pax ... 4 hours in a luxury bus, and you'd be home.
What crew leaves 100 pax in a plane worth millions?
That's more scary indeed.
Although you can be sure the fireman of LGG were supervising everything

The news is covered worldwide, free (bad) publicity for ryanair again ;)

important note : 4 planes were diverted to LGG. Only one caused a problem.

jan_olieslagers

Sorry Acid, but how many firemen would it take to keep back a hundred thoroughy angry people? The more that I don't think they'd be allowed to use high-pressure hose, like they'd surely do in a comic strip...
But I too am shocked at the crew abandoning the plane like that. If of course it is true, we have learned not to blindly believe the media. I don't know to what degree they secured it against starting (does an airliner have a key like a car?) but just imagine, among those angry pax, a youngster saying "I know how to fly this thing, I learned on Flight Simulator, I always fly the B737. We'll be home soon!"
And don't come and tell me it's not possible: every now and again we hear of VERY young kids driving cars at irresponsible speeds, either on highways or through village centres. Why not try a plane, if eternal glory is winking?
And a certain degree of damage to the plane's interior was quite likely anyway.

galaxy

Post by galaxy »

This story tells more about the sort of passengers than about Ryanair.
Ryanair crew did their job very well ,to avoid disastrous consequences.
Have people already forgotten the crash this year of the Polish TU-154M with the president onboard ,due to the fog ?

sean1982

Post by sean1982 »

The aircraft was officially declared hijacked. Crew was ordered to leave the a/c by fr because pax were threatenng the cabin crew that they were gonna kill them. Police response was: it's youur own fault, you shouldn't have diverted. Pax were blocking the doors with handluggage so crew couldn't leave! Get the facts right before accusing the crew off being irresponsible

Nevihta

Post by Nevihta »

jan_olieslagers wrote:And don't come and tell me it's not possible: every now and again we hear of VERY young kids driving cars at irresponsible speeds
It's not possible...
there are tons of things to be done before flying that you don't do in flight sim...
First of them being accessing to the cockpit...

edit : Beauvais closes at 21.00 (+1 hr possibly for commercial flights if announced).
Last edited by Nevihta on 17 Nov 2010, 12:30, edited 1 time in total.

Acid-drop

Post by Acid-drop »

it seems more and more clear that those pax are ... special.
But it's hard to believe that all 100 of them are insane.
Well, it only takes one guy to move millions of others (you'll find examples yourself)
Have people already forgotten the crash this year of the Polish TU-154M with the president onboard ,due to the fog ?
Good comment.

airazurxtror

Post by airazurxtror »

Nevihta wrote: Beauvais closes at 21.00 (+1 hr possibly for commercial flights if announced).
... and CRL is closed at 23.00 for non-CRL based aircraft.
Thus LGG was the only solution (besides BRU).

Nevihta

Post by Nevihta »

airazurxtror wrote:
Nevihta wrote: Beauvais closes at 21.00 (+1 hr possibly for commercial flights if announced).
... and CRL is closed at 23.00 for non-CRL based aircraft.
Thus LGG was the only solution (besides BRU).
Or Paris Charles de Gaulle, or perhaps Lille... but CDG must be quite expensive...
I think the crew knew when departing Fes that there was a risk that Beauvais would be closed.

jan_olieslagers

Nevihta wrote:
jan_olieslagers wrote:And don't come and tell me it's not possible: every now and again we hear of VERY young kids driving cars at irresponsible speeds
It's not possible... there are tons of things to be done before flying that you don't do in flight sim... First of them being accessing to the cockpit...
OK, that sounds reassuring, thank you. What made me doubt is that reportedly the cockpit door was left unlocked.
sean1982 wrote:Get the facts right before accusing...
And why do you think I added the
If of course it is true,
??? Please read all of my writing before chiding. And did I actually accuse anyone? I did write "I was shocked" - leaving every room for the crew's good reasons.

Edit: corrrected quote. Sorry, Nevitha!
Last edited by jan_olieslagers on 17 Nov 2010, 12:59, edited 1 time in total.

jan_olieslagers

Acid-drop wrote:
Good comment.
Excuse me for disagreeing - I almost seem to be your "bête noire" today. Please be sure it is neither intentional, nor personal! But the TU-154 crash was NOT due to fog. It was due to "someone" insisting on a landing which the crew were - to say the very least - very reluctant to make. Right they were, too, more's the pity.

Nevihta

Post by Nevihta »

disregard, quote corrected.