Lufthansa limits size of carry-on baggage

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

sn26567

Lufthansa limits size of carry-on baggage

Post by sn26567 »

Less carry-on baggage….more comfort! In order to keep you confortable during your flight and keep flights running on time, maximum sizes have been defined. A carry-on bag may not be larger than 55x40x20 cm (21.7x15.7x7.9 inches) and no heavier than 8kg (17.6 lbs.). Lufthansa is obligated to maintain these regulations. Thank you for your understanding.

Lufthansa on Facebook, 8.11.2010
André
ex Sabena #26567

Ducatibiker

Re: Lufthansa limits size of carry-on baggage

Post by Ducatibiker »

10 kg on Ryann Air for carry on...

regi

Post by regi »

Ducatibiker wrote:10 kg on Ryann Air for carry on...
And how many kg checked luggage for free with Ryanair ?

cathay belgium

Post by cathay belgium »

Ha !
regi wrote:And how many kg checked luggage for free with Ryanair ?
Indeed, but for how long ;)
LH followed FR, pay for drinks,thinner seats,luggage restrictions..

CX-B
New types flown 2022.. A339

luchtzak

Post by luchtzak »

You shouldn't compare Lufthansa with Ryanair, LH is a league of its own!

One can understand the LH decision: boarding goes quicker, less delays, less hassle, ...

one of my friends told me in Japan a 777 is filled with passengers in less than 20 minutes :o

cathay belgium

Post by cathay belgium »

Luchtzak,
luchtzak wrote:one of my friends told me in Japan a 777 is filled with passengers in less than 20 minutes
Offcourse,but Japan is also a league of its own, small little strong 'right'-educated people. :lol:
You can't fill a 777 in 20 minutes full of Germans,French,Italias,Dutch .. hey Belgians ! :mrgreen:
Maybe an AVRO but a A319/A320/B737 maybe if you're lucky anything bigger.. good luck ! :lol:

CX-B

Indeed we can't compare LH/FR but things are changing for sure.. and FR was first (pity enough ).

tolipanebas

Post by tolipanebas »

LH (just like any IATA airline in fact) has had size and weight limits on carry-on luggage for as long as I can remember.... just because they decided to remind pax about it once more on their facebook page, doesn't mean they have suddenly decided to change their strategy from being Europe's leading business-oriented quality airline (and a highly profitable one BTW), to becoming yet another European Southwest Airlines copy like Ryanair...

euroflyer

Post by euroflyer »

sn26567 wrote:Less carry-on baggage….more comfort! In order to keep you confortable during your flight and keep flights running on time, maximum sizes have been defined. A carry-on bag may not be larger than 55x40x20 cm (21.7x15.7x7.9 inches) and no heavier than 8kg (17.6 lbs.). Lufthansa is obligated to maintain these regulations. Thank you for your understanding.
Cannot seee any news here.

The limits cited above have applied for LH short haul flights for years. However, they have (sometimes) been handled in a very convenient and relaxed way. I cannot remember that I had the weight of my hand baggage checked with LH (that however happens each time I fly with Air Berlin for example), and it is always above 8kg. So far nobody cared about it (ok, maybe the red LH Senator baggage tag has helped here as well ;) ). Let's see if this will stay like this with the new short-haul cabin layout to be introduced soon with more (thinner) seats and less warderobes etcetera in the B737s and A319/20/21s. There will be less space for hand baggage per pax than today.
cathay belgium wrote:LH followed FR, pay for drinks,thinner seats,luggage restrictions..
To compare LH with FR is just a bad joke indeed. Yes, both have luggage restictions (as all airlines), but compare them and you see the big big difference. Leg room is quite different as well (also on short-haul) And on which LH flight exactly did you have to pay for drinks or food ?? They do not do this (so far 8-) ).
Star Alliance Gold / LH Senator
A300 A318 A319 A320 A321 A340 B737 B747 B757 B767 MD81 MD82 MD90 Tu134 IL18 BAe146 RJ85 RJ100 CRJ200 CRJ700 CRJ900 ERJ145 E170 E195 F50 F70 F100 ATR42 ATR72 Q300 Q400
http://my.flightmemory.com/euroflyer

cathay belgium

Post by cathay belgium »

Hi,

Comparing LH and FR doesn't fit, I definately understand..
but
* I had free drinks with LH not with FR..
* Legroom is definately better with LH,altough if you know FR a bit it should be do-able to obtain
a luxary exit-seat or front seat ;)
* I did have done 3! telephones to LH after a flight shedule-change to know that there was a big mistake in
my booking so it turned out to board the plane last-minute while waiting on a counter for 45' ..
never had this with FR..
But in the end.. you can't compare them and everybody is making his own mind with his own experiences of each flight..
But just wanted to say that (to me) FR is setting up toughts that are followed by the big ones..
(like it or not)

I do like FR. ;)
I do like Alitalia, so our Friend Regi isn't. 8-)
I do like SN.
but I prefer CX :lol:

*-B

regi

Post by regi »

cathay belgium wrote: But in the end.. you can't compare them and everybody is making his own mind with his own experiences of each flight..
But just wanted to say that (to me) FR is setting up toughts that are followed by the big ones..
(like it or not)
I do like FR. ;)
I do like Alitalia, so our Friend Regi isn't. 8-)
I do like SN.
but I prefer CX :lol:
*-B
It is not really about disliking Alitalia.
But if this would happen to you with for example Ryanair, I think you would also dislike that airline.

The crazy thing is that all these mishaps happened just on some flights, not over a period of 20 flights and several years:
  • food poisoning, ending up in a hospital on a drip.
    completely destroyed Delsey suitcases without any excuse or compensation, despite travel insurance
    double booking/de-booking , or how would you call it when you have a paper ticket and the female Alitalia relic says that you don't exist. :shock:
    check inn staff at Zaventem that bluntly refused to look at their computer untill I stood behind their counter and suddenly the not present manager was present.
    old B747 going to Australia, completely worn out and dirty.
    unpleasant co-passengers ( but maybe they say the same about me because I didn't join their drinking, shouting, food throwing, whatever )
So that is why I use every opportunity to bash Alitalia. And when I read (seldom) happy reports about them, I just think: you were lucky.
Detail: one of the largest manufacturing companies of Flanders has forbidden every employee to fly with Alitalia. Even worse: if somebody after a holiday shows up too late because something went wrong with Alitalia ,this excuse is not accepted because all personnel was warned about this utter disgrace of aviation. This same company forbids also trips on Ryanair, but not with Wizzair and Easyjet. How would that come you think?

Honnestly, I do hope that in the future you will still be able to write that you like Alitalia. I wouldn't want to see another member disappear by a food poisoning or indefinitively stranded on Lampedusa :D