Brussels Airlines' fleet renewal

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

134flyer

Re: Replacement of SN's Avro RJ and B737 fleet

Post by 134flyer »

regi wrote:OK, we have to look into the feasabilty of turbo prop feeders.
We all sat in ATR, Saab, Fokkers and similar turbo prop feeders.
But is there here a member who flew in a similar turbo prop for a longer distance than the usual +- 1 hour connection?
To quote myself:
134flyer wrote:I myself was once on a two and a half hour Q400 flight (ARN-BRU), and after already one hour I just wanted to get out NOW, but still had to continue for another hour and a half... On 1 hour flights, turboprops are fine, or at least tolerable.

regi

Post by regi »

134flyer wrote:
regi wrote:OK, we have to look into the feasabilty of turbo prop feeders.
We all sat in ATR, Saab, Fokkers and similar turbo prop feeders.
But is there here a member who flew in a similar turbo prop for a longer distance than the usual +- 1 hour connection?
To quote myself:
134flyer wrote:I myself was once on a two and a half hour Q400 flight (ARN-BRU), and after already one hour I just wanted to get out NOW, but still had to continue for another hour and a half... On 1 hour flights, turboprops are fine, or at least tolerable.
Okay, that says enough. If NCB has no better reply he has to give up this idea and the case is closed. No turbo props to replace A320 series, B737 or Avro's.
Thank you for the swift reply.

Homo Aeroportus

Post by Homo Aeroportus »

Flew a lot with Carpatair on DUS-TSR (LRTR, Timisoara, Drakula's home), on Saab 2000.

Liked it a lot. OK, I'm kind of "gimme a window seat" guy and I don't mind a bumpy ride for the fun.
Would even be better with active noise canceling heaset ;)

Actually, I found this more attractive than the MXP-TSR with Alitalia Express on one of their Samba Jets. These flights on ERJs were usually almost full boat and not so comfy in this configuration.

Now, if SN comes with larger SambaJets like the E170/190 all fine with me. I flew some like Air Canada and these are very nice birds. (well, they also fly some B1900D .... :D

The truth is that most Pax do NOT like prop planes, part for the less roomy cabin but primarily because of the often more bumpy ride.
The longer journey does not add a significant drawback. Just integrate this in the whole travel process, from home to hotel, and the few extra minutes at timetable level are not relevant.

I like Tolipanebas remark on "a fleet for the years to come". We need more but also larger planes.

NCB

Post by NCB »

Are you serious?

OMG, the RJs ARE medium haul planes just like the 737/A319... or do you think BRU-MRS is shorthaul whereas BRU-NCE is medium haul, just because it is operated by a smaller plane?
Yes I'm serious. RJs, by definition, are regional jets, flying regional routes. I'll let you think about that.
In your defense, I will add that it's a fact that Sukhoi is marketing the SSJ as a medium range aircraft, but it's still a regional jet.
It's also a fact that the CSeries is not an RJ.
We're not talking about the best fleet TODAY, but the best fleet for 2015 to 2025+, remember?
By the time the first new plane arrives, SN's long haul network will have grown (so much is no secret) and the STAR hub in BRU will have matured a fair bit too. Just catapult yourself 4 years ahead in time and imagine the most conservative expansion scenario: SN is operating 7 A330s of their own, there's an evening flight to NY (in codeshare with a US airline), ANA is serving NRT daily in the evening and there's another link to South East Asia by a STAR partner. On top of that, some more European STAR airlines are feeding through BRU....

Still so sure the CS100 is such a crazy idea, knowing in the next decade things will only go up from here?
To me, the best fleet for SN in 2015 is alot different from the best fleet for SN in 2025. Simply because there is a world of difference between an airline that operates 7 long-haul aircraft and one that operates 20 (hopefully).

Now, alliances do not have major merits for an airline like SN, an airline that is operating short-haul mainly and longhaul flights that have their own feeding at the hub but no feeding in Africa. They do for airlines that have immense longhaul networks like Lufthansa or Singapore Airlines who want to operate on hub to hub models and get feeding on both sides of their routes.
Though there is alot of focus on growth, will SN really grow from now to 2015?
Easyjet is about to enter BRU, Ryanair is expanding like never before in CRL and SN is already in Star since 8 months but the effects are barely perceptible. In fact, compared to other airlines, the recovery of traffic at SN has been way lower, which proves quite the opposite of a healthy growth.
You don't get it, don't you? There IS no lower unit cost from operating small planes!

Sure, CASM goes down if you operate a small turboprop iso an A320, but that is just half the story really, based on direct operating cost: the overhead costs, network cost, alliance membership costs and many more all remain the same however and need to be split out over less seats, thus driving the UNIT costs up, hence making it very hard to compete against competitors really, as the OS case has demonstrated.
No I don't, because it doesn't mean anything.
It depends really. More frequency means more yields, more seats.
A small turboprop like you like to call it can actually become big when it operates frequencies.
When the CASM is low, it doesn' tmatter how many frequencies you operate, the CASM stays the same.

So if the demand for an average fare of 200€ between BRU and MXP on a given day is 640 seats, you can operate 8 flights (4 inbound and 4 outbound) with CS100
or 12 (6 in and 6 outbound) flights with Q400 at lower cost.

The capacity will be 880 seats on CS100 versus 840 seats on Q400, so load factors on the Q400 will be slightly higher, but the CASM of the Q400 being lower, the cost to operate 840 seats with Q400 will be far cheaper than to operate 880 seats with CS100.
By providing 2 more frequencies, a few more passengers will find more convenience to fly with SN than with Easyjet and decide to opt for SN and the demand with 12 frequencies will actually rise to 680 seats.

So not only is the Q400 a tool for reducing cost, it also generates more revenues and traffic by putting more frequencies. Also, yields are higher because if we compare a 140 seat CS300 flight with two 70 seats Q400 flights 90 minutes apart, the demand for the 140 seats set 90 minutes apart will be higher as it covers a wider time spectrum. Yield management wise, it will be alot easier to fill 2 Q400's than to fill one CS100.

Such is the art of yield management.
I like Tolipanebas remark on "a fleet for the years to come". We need more but also larger planes.
I heard that idea in the mid-1990's. Didn't work.
Okay, that says enough. If NCB has no better reply he has to give up this idea and the case is closed. No turbo props to replace A320 series, B737 or Avro's.
I have a better reply to give. 134flyer's testimony is totally irrelevant because he is speaking of his experience on a Dash-8 Q400, not the Q400 Nextgen I am talking about. Two aircraft 11 years apart, but as Bombardier puts it:

"The Q400 NextGen aircraft represents the next step in the continuing evolution of the Q400 airliner. The most striking, customer-driven changes to the Q400 NextGen aircraft are found in the cabin design. The improvements erase any remaining perception that turboprop travel is anything less than a modern and comfortable experience.
Last edited by NCB on 03 Aug 2010, 17:37, edited 1 time in total.

tolipanebas

Post by tolipanebas »

Homo Aeroportus wrote:The longer journey does not add a significant drawback. Just integrate this in the whole travel process, from home to hotel, and the few extra minutes at timetable level are not relevant.
It may not for some pax, but it certainly does for the airline...

Image a turboprop makes your flight 20 minutes longer. That means that the return flight will be 40 minutes later back in BRU than the jet then! No big deal for point-to-point traffic, but for a network carrier, this means the next outbound wave (including long hauls) in BRU needs to be delayed too then.

Alternatively, you could bring departure times forward, but departures are already quite early on the first outbound wave in BRU: any earlier and you actually see pax switch to later flights again, just as SN has experienced when they were experimenting with ever earlier departure times in an ill-fated effort to increase the use of their fleet.

Besides not only do significantly longer flight times have an impact for a network carrier as it makes them delay and even loose some connectivity at their base, the remaining connectivity through such a netwerk really becomes pisspoor too, with pax connecting through BRU arriving more than an hour later at their final destination than they can today... connecting paw will vote with their feet and fly other airlines.
Homo Aeroportus wrote:I like Tolipanebas remark on "a fleet for the years to come". We need more but also larger planes.
8-)

tolipanebas

Post by tolipanebas »

NCB wrote:RJs, by definition, are regional jets, flying regional routes. I'll let you think about that.
I don't need to think about that, regional jet is just a name.

In Asia, anything less than 4 to 5 hours is regional, whereas in Europe, anything above 1 to 1,5 hour block time is medium haul. it's just a definition and the way SN uses their Avro RJ fleet puts most of the flights in the medium haul segment, just like the 737/A319, hence the fleet renewal of the RJ to be linked to that of the 737, and not being 2 seperate cases, like you seem to think!

BTW, the homogenuous European fleet (RJ=737=A319) it's also how pay and seniority are arranged at SN, but as a complete outsider who doesn't know what he's talking about, you obviously can't know this and are thus excused to believe RJ is something completely different than the 737 to SN.
As so often with you, reality at SN is completely the opposite of what you though it would be.
To me, the best fleet for SN in 2015 is alot different from the best fleet for SN in 2025. Simply because there is a world of difference between an airline that operates 7 long-haul aircraft and one that operates 20 (hopefully).
So a complete fleet rollover every what, 8 years then? LH will love just that, I am sure... NOT.
alliances do not have major merits for an airline like SN, an airline that is operating short-haul mainly and longhaul flights that have their own feeding at the hub but no feeding in Africa.
It's actually quite the opposite, but okay... whatever... if YOU say so! :roll:

All we hear from SN is that they shuold have joined STAR years ago!
Such is the art of yield management.
Of which you clearly haven't understood much, going by your explanation! It's so wrong on so many points, I can't even start correcting it... :roll:

Anyway, seems that whatever doesnt suit your point, is judged irrelevant despite very good and solid agruments from several members, to the point where the only logical conclusion must be your case itself is irrelevant....

134flyer

Post by 134flyer »

NCB wrote:
I have a better reply to give. 134flyer's testimony is totally irrelevant because he is speaking of his experience on a Dash-8 Q400, not the Q400 Nextgen I am talking about. Two aircraft 11 years apart, but as Bombardier puts it:

"The Q400 NextGen aircraft represents the next step in the continuing evolution of the Q400 airliner. The most striking, customer-driven changes to the Q400 NextGen aircraft are found in the cabin design. The improvements erase any remaining perception that turboprop travel is anything less than a modern and comfortable experience.
Why is my testimony totally irrelevant? Because it was on a Q400 and not a Q400NG? Come on, you don't believe that Bombardier marketing crap too much, don't you? Sure there are improvements, but not that much to make it totally irrelevant... Indeed haven't flown yet on a Q400NG, so not quite comparable, but did fly on a CRJ900NG, and really thought what was all the fuss about compared to a CRJ200; slightly roomier, bigger bins, other cabin lights, but surely not a much more comfortable ride than e.g. on a CRJ200, and still very noisy in the back, despite Bombardier's NextGen marketing crap. I therefore have a hard time believing a Q400NG is much more comfortable than a Q400, at least that much more comfortable to make an 'old' Q400 irrelevant...

For the rest, I think it is useless to continue to discuss; you have some very interesting ideas, but refuse 'to give in' when others have other arguments. You want respect, but disrespect others by ignoring their arguments or just call it 'nonsense', so I can only subscibe to tolipanebas' viewpoint:
tolipanebas wrote:Anyway, seems that whatever doesnt suit your point, is judged irrelevant despite very good and solid agruments from several members, to the point where the only logical conclusion must be your case itself is irrelevant....

regi

Post by regi »

If we start to put here the pep talk of companies as relevant information, than we can start any kind of irrelevant discussion.

Stating that SN should buy a fleet of Q400 to replace its Avro's, 737 and Airbusses , based on website peptalk is a bit...
But wait a second, let us read that peptalk.
http://www.q400.com/q400/en/performance.jsp
And now comes the joke, dear NCB: have you seen that this superior Q400 NG is compared to airplanes which are already a long time out of production? ( Dornier 328 , Fokker 50 , RJ85 and B737-500 ) on their own website? I hope you have seen it yourself, scroll downwards. You will probably state that the comparison is for the Q400 and not the Q400 NG. But the website is not clear about that.

NCB

Post by NCB »

http://www.flightglobal.com/articles/20 ... -jets.html

If Embraer puts together an E-Jets reengining program and can deliver by 2014, it could be a viable option for SN. As I said in previous studies, the MRJ with GTF technology can get close on CASM with the Q400 and would make alot of sense.
If any RJ would come as close as less than 10% from the Q400 on direct operating costs per seat-mile, then it is a viable solution and depending on lease prices it could become a better solution.
Now if Embraer puts GTF or Leap-X engines on the E-Jets, they can get the same fuel burn as on the MRJ70, although the heavier E190 will suffer from 5 tons additonal dead weight compared to MRJ90.

Even sooner and easier, I can see CRJ's being reengined, which is probably why they are so quiet about it.
The CRJ doesn't require major redesign work on the wings and landing gears, I imagine only some rework on the pylons and FADEC hardware and software, some performance validations and it's ready to go. By my estimates, it can be ready within a year and a half from launch. Plus, it can beat the Embraer because it is lighter but it would close the market for more Q400 sales.
The CRJ is smaller and noisier so in that case I would definitely prefer reengined E-Jets.

The pacing item? P&W and CFM don't have engines adapted for these types yet, and the soonest I can see them get these engines is 2015. SN's board doesn't have that patience, although yes, this fleet renewal plan is a medium term requirement all the way down to 2025.
And now comes the joke, dear NCB: have you seen that this superior Q400 NG is compared to airplanes which are already a long time out of production? ( Dornier 328 , Fokker 50 , RJ85 and B737-500 ) on their own website? I hope you have seen it yourself, scroll downwards. You will probably state that the comparison is for the Q400 and not the Q400 NG. But the website is not clear about that.
Now, I hope people prepare more intelligent replies in the future, otherwise people would describe this forum as a gathering of morrons. I don't see anything wrong or funny about this graph. It compares distance flown within a given timeframe, more commonly known under the physical concept called "speed", of different aircraft including out of production aircraft that Bombardier sees as potential targets for replacement by Q400.
Are you impressed with the fact that the A380 is not presented here? You surely are.
If my judgement serves me well, the Q400 is not a direct replacement of the A380, nor is it the potential replacement for E-Jets that have been in service since 6 years and it is understandable that Bombardier wouldn't want to compare it to their own CRJ's.

I hope that this serves as a lesson for your arrogant self, mr. Regi.
Just to reply to your bizare question, the Q400 and Q400NG have the same performance in terms of speed, so I wouldn't see why I would need to point to the fact that this graph was for the Q400? It really doesn't matter.

http://www.q400.com/q400/img/gr_graphic ... 0min_e.gif

Too much irrelevant chit-chat by people who don't even care to read the content of graphs they use as evidence to support their imagination and hunger for one minute of silly fame on an internet forum.
I don't have time for this anymore.

RoMax

Post by RoMax »

NCB wrote: Too much irrelevant chit-chat by people who don't even care to read the content of graphs they use as evidence to support their imagination and hunger for one minute of silly fame on an internet forum.
I don't have time for this anymore.
The only thing I could say is, I (and I suppose most forum members) don't have time to read your "ingenious" ideas. Or I can say it in another way, most forum members don't want to waste time anymore to your posts. You are repeating the same things over and over again and you ignore arguments of other members or just cal their arguments blah-blah. :roll:

tolipanebas

Post by tolipanebas »

Not to mention he repeatedly calls for respect, but calls us all arrogant, unintelligent morrons...

By the way, NCB, didn't you say you'd never post on this forum again, after you'd made a complete and utter fool of yourself with your completely insane idea of sending A320s to Central africa, thus entirely forgoing the highly lucrative cargo market SN currently depends heavily on while also having to send excess luggage behind on other airlines and have Beechcraft planes flying around AFI to bring sufficient catering on board for the return flights to BRU? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Why didn't you live up to your promise to quit :?:

Because you absolutely wanted to do even better still, by vehemently stating you were absolutely convinced LH would do as you have been proposing for some time now, i.e. to install a real business class on its European fleet, simply because you had read in flight international they were set to overhaul and improve the cabin interiors of their A320 fleet so they would be more far competitive in future?
As we've learnt in the mean time and just as I have told you back then, based on real internal information I had, they are going to install slim seats to increase the seating count, thus lowering the unit costs. :roll:

Never 2 without 3 seem to be your adagio, so now you're proposing SN should replace its entire medium haul fleet with Q400(NG)s. :shock: :lol: :shock:

Wonder what the outcome will be this time?
Your track records isn't exactly what one would call brilliant, is it?
And since I already know what direction the decision is heading, I can already tell you it will not improve either... 8-)
Last edited by tolipanebas on 04 Aug 2010, 10:40, edited 2 times in total.

andorra-airport

Post by andorra-airport »

Hey, people calm down. We are all airline enthusiasts on this forum, and all have our own opinions. That some thoughts are different then others, does not mean you have to be so nasty to each other. I guess we are all grown up people who can have normal conversations. Enough other places out there for bashing or trolling... I mean what's next? That people will be afraid to post a comment? The "enthusiasm" will skydive.

RoMax

Post by RoMax »

andorra-airport wrote:Hey, people calm down. We are all airline enthusiasts on this forum, and all have our own opinions. That some thoughts are different then others, does not mean you have to be so nasty to each other. I guess we are all grown up people who can have normal conversations. Enough other places out there for bashing or trolling... I mean what's next? That people will be afraid to post a comment? The "enthusiasm" will skydive.
I agree, but doesn't count the same for him? I like to know his opinion (altough it are the most "original" ideas I ever heard) but doesn't he have to respect other members too? He is acting like he knows everything, and all arguments given by other members are "bullshit" according to him. If you don't have respect for others, why should we have respect?

When I asked to open this topic, I hoped that it would be a nice topic. First some nice discussions and later official things. But just like the topic about the AFI future for SN (remember the AFI-A319) , this topic is going in the wrong direction.

fcw

Post by fcw »

MR_Boeing wrote:I agree, but doesn't count the same for him?
I think he is a she and blonde... ;)

NCB

Post by NCB »

Why didn't you live up to your promise to quit
LX-LGX was the reason why I refrained from posting but as you may have noticed, he has vanished since then.
As we've learnt in the mean time and just as I have told you back then, based on real internal information I had, they are going to install slim seats to increase the seating count, thus lowering the unit costs.
They have and it's obviously too bad that they didn't reach out for this opportunity to offer a better product. To me it's a blunt mistake but I don't see your point. You think that everything LH does is right, don't you?
No, they're people just like you and me and notice that for the massive airline they are, they are not very profitable.
And since I already know what direction the decision is heading, I can already tell you it will not improve either...
I just can't wait to see the moment that SN will anounce its 30 aircraft order for CS100. I will note that day as the start of the end of SN.
Never 2 without 3 seem to be your adagio, so now you're proposing SN should replace its entire medium haul fleet with Q400(NG)s
Now I can say that you also lie alot, because you will find it hard to find the exact quote where I said that SN should replace its entire medium haul fleet with Q400's. For the record, I have said that the B737 fleet could be partially replaced by Q400, awaiting traffic expansion, but later to be replaced by A319/A320 capacity.
Again, a small lie for one minute of fame, you just made the world a better place.

I agree with Andorra. Some here have a strange behavior and seem to dismiss any alternative idea's, without giving grounds for dismissal. It scares many people away, and many people who want to learn and become part of discussions to post questions or their opinions will find it difficult to do so. Every aviation forum has become infested with these kind of low self-esteem people who have no better to do than this: criticize other opinions without giving their own, and when they give it and are proven to be very unrealistic with real facts, numbers and data, they start insulting you.
The founder of this website and his team are doing a great job but you have nothing to be proud of.

RoMax

Post by RoMax »

NCB, give me one reason why almost nobody agrees with your "genial" ideas. Your post look good on the first sight with a lot of information wich everyone can find on the internet, but the content often doesn't make any sense at all.
But, OK, most of us don't run an airline theirself. But why isn't any real airline doing the things you say. Probably because they are all stupid, and doesn't want to make profit. BTW, some ideas you are giving are already tried before and failled seriously. But still you seems to think: "I know it better".

But whatever, it's just waste of time to make that clear to you, because you don't want to understand it.

tolipanebas

Post by tolipanebas »

NCB wrote:I just can't wait to see the moment that SN will anounce its 30 aircraft order for CS100.
You're really obsessed with those C-series, aren't you, as if that is the absolute worst thing to go for.

Just for the record, I've mentioned it as ONE option currently under detailed review... and a good one in my opinion, although it seems more likely to me they will go for a mix of E-jets and more A32F as that can be done timely and with less risk.
NCB wrote: you will find it hard to find the exact quote where I said that SN should replace its entire medium haul fleet with Q400's. For the record, I have said that the B737 fleet could be partially replaced by Q400, awaiting traffic expansion, but later to be replaced by A319/A320 capacity.
A fleet renewal isn't redone every 5 years you know, especially not knowing there is still more to come after that, notably the long haul fleet which should be rolled over in 2015...

SN is not going to go from RJ/737 to Q400 to A319; they better save on time, money and efford and go straight from RJ/737 to the right plane then and there really is no practical use in the SN network but for a limited number of turboprops used on really short/thin flights.
NCB wrote: Some here have a strange behavior and seem to dismiss any alternative idea's, without giving grounds for dismissal.
Without grounds?

In all of the discussions I've had with you, I've given you both very practical, easy to understand as well as very technical and more complicated reasons why your conceptual ideas are not workable in real!
You just have a pattern of not accepting any objections whatsoever presented to you, even though they are not to be debated really as they are known to be firmly part of the preconditions the fleet renewal order definitely has to match according LH who'll be paying the bill! You do not want to debate an alternative, you just want to make the world spin the other way round!
NCB wrote: Every aviation forum has become infested with these kind of low self-esteem people who have no better to do than this: criticize other opinions without giving their own, and when they give it and are proven to be very unrealistic with real facts, numbers and data, they start insulting you.
Are you talking about yourself now? Nah, you don't have low self-esteem, quite on the contrary even, but other than that, I'd have sworn you were describing yourself there for a minute! :mrgreen:

regi

Post by regi »

Referring to the posting from Tolipanebas:
you have been right from the beginning . So no Q400 to replace some/ most / all Avro's, B737.

Just as I always said there will be never a new Fokker / Rekkof. The 20 M euro subsidies from the Dutch government to restart the program are in, but where is the factory ?
It was surprising in Spring this year to hear Dutch aviation experts with 30-40 year experience to be so naively believe this story. Many Dutch have been left behind with some frustration about the Fokker disappearance. But it is over and out. Gone, finished.
Same with Panam, Sabena, NSU RO80 ( that is a car ) : despite the good product, the market decided otherwise.

Btw: I met some months ago some English guys who want to restart production of the Robin Reliant. True.

And people call me arrogant...

HighInTheSky

Post by HighInTheSky »

Guys, I really wonder where and when this discussion will end...

First of all, NCB, altough I don't like the tone of most of your posts, which are in my opinion mostly agressive, I think you deserve the respect for launching your ideas and defending your opinion. BUT, once the idea is on the table, or in this case, on the forum, you start to become so obsessed by it you don't want to accept other visions on the same topic. Isn't that a strange way to discuss with people on a forum?

Tolipanebas, you and I both know that your information is very accurate and up to date, but I really don't believe your efforts to convince NCB will succeed...

So guys, let's stop making this topic a 'NCB vs the rest of Luchtzak', otherwise I think this topic can be closed because we're still turning around in circles, and will always remain like this, until a press release is made by SN about the fleet renewal...

Ah well, in the end, who am I to tell you what to do... ;)

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

I could not have said better!

I hope that with such a conclusion the discussion can remain closed until we get solid information and hard facts. I will not archive the thread though. I leave it open for the expected facts!
André
ex Sabena #26567