CO/UA merger: a done deal.

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

janvdc

Re: CO/UA merger: almost a done deal?

Post by janvdc »

You can officially drop the "almost" in the title.

This website shows the logo of the new United Airlines, the official press release announcing the "merger among equals" and even a 787 in the future livry.

http://www.unitedcontinentalmerger.com^

Congratulations !

janvdc

Post by janvdc »

Bralo20

Post by Bralo20 »

The way United is written should have been in the latest "united" font, not the "continental" font. It looks so out of date...

But I guess we have to live with it :)

b-west

Post by b-west »

First we lost the brilliant NWA livery in the Delta merger, now we loose another one of my favorite liveries. Crap :(

cnc

Post by cnc »

damn i love the current united white and blue colors :cry:

fretn

Post by fretn »

The combined livery is fugly, they should merge the globe into the tulip, and do something about the font....
that United name is awfull in the continental font.

Conti764

Post by Conti764 »

Great! The Continental name disappears, but at least the great globe and livery stays around!

Bralo20

Post by Bralo20 »

Hmm...

Continental Airlines:

Copa Airlines:

Aero Republica:

United Airlines:

It gets a bit boring...

Bralo20

Post by Bralo20 »

The latest United font and the "copa" globe would have been a good match... Both modern :mrgreen:

Coronado

Re: CO/UA merger: a done deal.

Post by Coronado »

Be prepared for the "new livery" ( no joke, it's official ! ) :
CAL_787-9_Dreamliner_logo.jpg
:shock: Coronado

RoMax

Post by RoMax »

Coronado wrote:Be prepared for the "new livery" ( no joke, it's official ! ) :
CAL_787-9_Dreamliner_logo.jpg
:shock: Coronado
We saw this livery already in the previous posts. ;)

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Is it a first result of the merger? Continental Airlines wants to close its sales department and its call center in Diegem (Belgium). Forty-two jobs would be lost.

Continental currently employs 62 persons in Belgium. Next to management, only personnel in service at Brussels Airport would remain.
André
ex Sabena #26567

kiwiandrew

Post by kiwiandrew »

sn26567 wrote:First result of the merger, Continental Airlines wants to close its sales department and its call center in Diegem. Forty-two jobs would be lost.

Continental currently employs 62 persons in Belgium. Next to management, only personnel in service at Brussels Airport would remain.

Sorry to hear of the job losses , but I doubt if this is a result of the merger agreement just signed .

Until the merger has actually been approved by the relevant authorities the two airlines are unlikely to make any big changes based on the assumption of merger approval .

I would think that the closure of the call centre must have already been in the pipeline for reasons unrelated to the merger ( but possibly related to rationalisation between the two airlines that was already happening prior to the merger negotiations . )

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

kiwiandrew wrote:I doubt if this is a result of the merger agreement just signed .

Until the merger has actually been approved by the relevant authorities the two airlines are unlikely to make any big changes based on the assumption of merger approval .

I would think that the closure of the call centre must have already been in the pipeline for reasons unrelated to the merger ( but possibly related to rationalisation between the two airlines that was already happening prior to the merger negotiations . )
You are probably right, but if there will be "synergies" of about one billion dollars, it is clear that more of such closures will happen: call centers and sales departments of Continental like the one in Diegem and other departments will be merged with similar call centers and departments of United, and thousands of jobs will be sacrificed under the label "synergies".
André
ex Sabena #26567

Vinnie-Winnie

Post by Vinnie-Winnie »

sn26567 wrote: You are probably right, but if there will be "synergies" of about one billion dollars, it is clear that more of such closures will happen: call centers and sales departments of Continental like the one in Diegem and other departments will be merged with similar call centers and departments of United, and thousands of jobs will be sacrificed under the label "synergies".
Tough but that is business...

Conti764

Post by Conti764 »

There is one thing about the livery that bothers me: it's the short United name in comparison to the longer Continental name.

Now if they'd change it into United Airlines, the last flaw on this p/s would be gone and it would be a really remarkable paint scheme and still the best of the US legacies... (my opinion of course)

HighInTheSky

Post by HighInTheSky »

There goes the generous OnePass FF program... :cry:

Conti764

Post by Conti764 »

What might change for BRU in the future once the merger is complete?

If the current flights stay, it means we'll have three United flights a day (and three CO tails): EWR and IAD/LAS, ORD/SFO.

Maybe the much anounced second daily rotation from EWR and given the bigger scale of the merged company the connection from the south: IAH.

The order of 50 787's and 50 options, might finally make Westcoast to BRU operations possible. A 777 is overkill and the 763ER is way too unefficient, the 787-800 might do the job...

So, according to all the fine boys and girls on this forum, am I dreaming when I hope to see 6 UA flights and 6 CO tails a day at BRU? 4 seems evident, 5 possible but I hope to see a sixt one in the future... :)

cnc

Post by cnc »

i hope to see bigger aircrafts rather then second daily flights 8-)
the livery is much better idd with the "united airlines" name but i still like the white/blue from united more

Conti764

Post by Conti764 »

cnc wrote:i hope to see bigger aircrafts rather then second daily flights 8-)
the livery is much better idd with the "united airlines" name but i still like the white/blue from united more
The next step from a 777 within United is a Jumbo, highly unlikely I assume ;)