KLM retires the Fokker 50

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

sn26567

KLM retires the Fokker 50

Post by sn26567 »

KLM Cityhopper operated its last scheduled commercial flight with a Fokker 50 in the KLM network on Saturday, 27 March. With this final flight from London Heathrow to Amsterdam, KLM has taken leave of this distinctive aircraft, the last propeller-driven aircraft in KLM Cityhopper’s fleet. As of now, the KLM fleet consists entirely of jet-powered aircraft.

The Fokker 50 has been phased out as part of KLM’s fleet renewal program. Between late 2008 and late 2010, KLC has been replacing the majority of its Fokker 100 fleet and all of its Fokker 50s with 17 new EMBRAER 190s and five Fokker 70s. These extra Fokker 70’s are purchased from Air France’s regional subsidiary Régional Compagnie Aérienne Européenne (Regional) bringing this total to 26 aircraft. Five Fokker 100s will remain in KLC’s service.

Both Régional and KLM operate the EMBRAER 190. The aircraft has 100 seats in the KLC configuration.
André
ex Sabena #26567

andorra-airport

Re: KLM retires the Fokker 50

Post by andorra-airport »

To which airline(s) are those Fokker 50's going?

andorra-airport

Post by andorra-airport »

Ah, for those who are interested, I found the answer to my own question. 2x F50 to Hellas-Jet, 1 to SkyWest Airlines (Australia) and 1 to Miniliner (cargo-airline, Bergamo). The rest is in storage.

Airplanefooood

Post by Airplanefooood »

In 2015 the Fokker 100 NG should perform its first commercial flight with pax on board says J.R. Jacobson, NG Aircraft. Perhaps KLM Cityhopper will order some of these too, seen their loyalty to Fokker a/c.

Buzz

Post by Buzz »

Airplanefooood wrote:In 2015 the Fokker 100 NG should perform its first commercial flight with pax on board says J.R. Jacobson, NG Aircraft. Perhaps KLM Cityhopper will order some of these too, seen their loyalty to Fokker a/c.
KLM has made their choice. Why add another fleet type with the same number of seats?

regi

Post by regi »

Airplanefooood wrote:In 2015 the Fokker 100 NG should perform its first commercial flight with pax on board says J.R. Jacobson, NG Aircraft. Perhaps KLM Cityhopper will order some of these too, seen their loyalty to Fokker a/c.
Abosulte nonsense, I reported already about this . The theoretical launch date of the Rekkof is too late for the replacement of the exisitng Fokkers.
No Rekkof will be made. Final.

Airplanefooood

Post by Airplanefooood »

regi wrote:Abosulte nonsense, I reported already about this . The theoretical launch date of the Rekkof is too late for the replacement of the exisitng Fokkers.
I was just asking the question, dude. :roll:

regi

Post by regi »

Airplanefooood wrote:
regi wrote:Abosulte nonsense, I reported already about this . The theoretical launch date of the Rekkof is too late for the replacement of the exisitng Fokkers.
I was just asking the question, dude. :roll:
sorry, a bit more politeness from my side would have been better:
The answer on your question has been given already by KLM and that is "No".

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

KLM welcomed their sixteenth EMBRAER 190 last Saturday! The aircraft will fly under registration number PH-EZR. The Embraers are replacing the Fokker 50 and (most of the) Fokker 100 planes in the KLM Cityhopper fleet.

André
ex Sabena #26567

Stij

Post by Stij »

Flew one of their 190's and abolutely love the plane! Always a window or an aisle seat, no dreadful middle one! Excellent!

Cheers,

Stij

earthman

Post by earthman »

Is the heating/cooling system as bad as on LOT's E17x planes? With the temperature fluctuating depending on conditions outside.

Stij

Post by Stij »

Only flew from AMS to BRU, so can't really tell, but I didn't notice a problem...

regi

Post by regi »

Stij wrote:Flew one of their 190's and abolutely love the plane! Always a window or an aisle seat, no dreadful middle one! Excellent!

Cheers,

Stij
So as a customer you don't have regrets that they didn't choose the fabulous Q400NG ? ;)

cathay belgium

Post by cathay belgium »

Hi,

Damn Regi,you're bad :lol: :lol: :lol:
But I booked BT flight to RIX for next year and
plane changed from B737Winglet to Q400NG,
is it REALLY so bad , better booked FR in that case ... :roll:
Flew BRU-AMS with F50 and I didn't mind but hey it's not more than 30/40minutes who cares...
Altough a Jet take-off is more intrestresting than a prop.. :mrgreen:
Maybe we better wait till SN gonna compete with KL on AMS-BRU routes with
their brand new Q400NG ... ;)

CX-B
New types flown 2022.. A339

regi

Post by regi »

My first flight was on a F-50 Brussels-Amsterdam. My goodness, was I nervous...
I remember the peanuts and the orange juice.
This was the feeder trip for my KLM flight from AMS to BKK. ( with a fuel stop at Dubai with the old B747 )

I was thinking: Oh my god, do I have to undergo this torture for another 10 hours ?

But later on I learned that I could surpress air sickness by getting relaxed. Sometimes... :roll:

I took the F-50 several times afterwards again and all I can say is that I liked the F-100 much more for the City Hopper service. And if it had to be a turbo prop, I liked the ATR's more as well.

Stij

Post by Stij »

Well, I don't mind flying turboprops for short distances, like VLM's LCY flights. OK, maybe it was because of VLM's excellent service! And, I never have problems with air sickness, so no problems there either...
But, please, not from BRU to RIX, the flight must be considerably longer due to the difference in speed.

Cheers,

Stij

cathay belgium

Post by cathay belgium »

Stij wrote:But, please, not from BRU to RIX, the flight must be considerably longer due to the difference in speed.
:o :? :cry: better choosen FR with their small B737-800 then !
Flight from B737 to Q400NG with BT = + 20 minutes extra flight time ! (in and outbound ! )

First I liked the idea of the change to Q400NG because of missing type on my flight list but
for now I ...mm....

CX-B
New types flown 2022.. A339

Stij

Post by Stij »

cathay belgium wrote:
Stij wrote:But, please, not from BRU to RIX, the flight must be considerably longer due to the difference in speed.
:o :? :cry: better choosen FR with their small B737-800 then !
Flight from B737 to Q400NG with BT = + 20 minutes extra flight time ! (in and outbound ! )

First I liked the idea of the change to Q400NG because of missing type on my flight list but
for now I ...mm....

CX-B
Oh, but you will survive! Just bring ear plugs or an IPod or something... And the "De Morgen" or "Le Soir" weekend editions. Just look on the bright side: you'll be admiring that cute steward(ess) 20 minutes longer!

Have fun!

Stij