nightstops for crews

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

Shanti

nightstops for crews

Post by Shanti »

I see most of the time crews staying in luxury hotels such as Hilton, Sheraton etc.
during nightstops at their destinations.
Do ryanair and easyjet crews also stay at these resorts or at cheaper hotels such
as Ibis?
Thanks for the information.

Super Baloo

Re: nightstops for crews

Post by Super Baloo »

Hi,

As far as I know, Ryanair crews don't have night stops in outstations. They come back to their home base every night.
No idea how Easyjet is doing.

Super Baloo

Post by Super Baloo »

And for the legacy crews, they get a huge discount on the hotel prices as they mostly have a worldwide contract with some hotels (Hilton, Sheraton, Holiday Inn, Intercontinental, etc.).
Airlines pay sometimes less than 50% the price you would pay if you wanted to go in such hotels.
But they can assure hotels that they will pay for 5-15 rooms 365 days a year. All in all, everybody wins.

regi

Post by regi »

I know that some people will not like to read this:
Sabena staff could buy on the expense of Sabena products in the shops of the hotels they were staying. We do not talk about room service, mini bar or restaurant bills. We talk about juwelry, watches, designer clothes etcetera
I know this because I received a bottle of Remy Martin VSOP from a female FA I was close with she bought for me ( no, I was not a gigolo 8-) ) . Bottle not opened, bill signed on the account of Sabena.
She explained me that she didn't bother about it because the bosses who decided which hotels were chosen were also on the take. I refused to get from her an expensive watch.
Don't ask me why Sabena went bust, I witnessed it.

Secondly: Swissair staff used to stay at the quite luxury hotel Central Sofitel at BKK.
I had a chat with the captain in the elevator.When we met again 1/2 hour later downstairs with the same complaint about our rooms ( I wanted to change my room because it smelt too much of smoke and he wanted to have a smoking room :lol: ), we got a bit friendly towards eachother.
He explained the system. It was quite similar to Sabena. In fact, he didn't like the hotel too much. But it was not up to him to decide about it. Senior staff got junior suites; FA got standard rooms.
The bad thing was that Swissair personnel was treated worse than other guests, because the hotel staff knew that the Swiss people had no influence.

Anyway, I took he captain out that evening and he was happy to be given a tour to some jazz pubs in BKK such as the famous Brown Sugar ( see BKK Dangerous with N. Cage ) and the saxophone Pub on its old location. Oh, small detail: on my account. Private.

Almost forgotten:
Sabena FA could make in some hotels a deal with the desk people. They didn't check in, but went to cheaper hotels on their own cost. The hotel people rented the room to other people twice. The profit was divided. Source: my same FA friend who I visited on our next encounter in a less luxurous hotel room.
Corruption? Sure, but everybody did it.

regi

Post by regi »

also a detail to think about:
in many cases, the hotel of airline staff is never the same as where that same airline will lodge passengers who get stranded because of a delay.
Example of Swissair in BKK: staff in the Sofitel Central Lard Prao; passengers in the Rama Gardens.

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Speaking about Swissair, I was once stranded through snow in Genoa (Italy). The Swissair crew and the pax were in the same (nice) hotel. But when the weather improved in the middle of the night, the crew disappeared and flew back with their plane, leaving the passengers alone to find a flight.
André
ex Sabena #26567

regi

Post by regi »

André, I think that was the reason that they chose to seperate lodging staff with passengers.
But I can imagine that you were not amused :shock: