EK (Emirates) comes to BRU

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

1V1

Re: Will EK (Emirates) come to BRU?

Post by 1V1 »

dna wrote:All the financial problems in Dubai made me wonder what the financial situation of Emirates actually is. I know there have been complaints from other airlines (Qantas e.g.) about the lack of a level playing field when Emirates developed its flights into Australia. Does anybody know any figures?
Yes some figures are available:
Dubai: Emirates, the biggest Arab carrier, continued to buck the global trend by undertaking cost-cutting measures and efficient management that helped the airline to post a 165 per cent jump in net profits to Dh752 million ($205 million), for the first six months of its current financial year ending September 30, up from Dh284 million ($77 million) in the same period of 2008
http://gulfnews.com/business/aviation/e ... t-1.523791

NCB

Post by NCB »

EK are aiming a 1 billion profit in FY 2010...

1V1

Post by 1V1 »

One of the problems EK is facing is that the aircraft are too small. They are limited by not getting extra slots on certain destinations (India,London,...). That is where the 380 comes in handy. Paris for ex. will already be served by a 380 in December instead of January. Dusseldorf gets a 777 for the morning flights. San Fran is flown by a 777-300ULR instead of the 200LR, and most of the time we are limited by MTOW.

Bralo20

Post by Bralo20 »

1V1 wrote:San Fran is flown by a 777-300ULR instead of the 200LR, and most of the time we are limited by MTOW.
Did Boeing build a new version of the 777? :mrgreen:

I assume you are meaning the 777-300ER, the higher capactity but shorter range version of the 777 ;)

1V1

Post by 1V1 »

Bralo20 wrote:
1V1 wrote:San Fran is flown by a 777-300ULR instead of the 200LR, and most of the time we are limited by MTOW.
Did Boeing build a new version of the 777? :mrgreen:

I assume you are meaning the 777-300ER, the higher capactity but shorter range version of the 777 ;)
300ER MTOW 341,101 kg & MLW 251,290 kg
300ULR MTOW 349,266 kg & MLW 251,290 kg

see http://www.seatplans.com/airlines/Emira ... er-reviews
and http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g1 ... ravel.html

Bralo20

Post by Bralo20 »

1V1 wrote:
Bralo20 wrote:300ER MTOW 341,101 kg & MLW 251,290 kg
It's not a Boeing designation but something Emirates added...

FYI the MTOW is now 351.534 kg while the MLW is indeed 251.290 kg for a standard B777-300ER

;)

1V1

Post by 1V1 »

Bralo20 wrote:
1V1 wrote:
Bralo20 wrote:300ER MTOW 341,101 kg & MLW 251,290 kg
It's not a Boeing designation but something Emirates added...

FYI the MTOW is now 351.534 kg while the MLW is indeed 251.290 kg for a standard B777-300ER

;)
No it's not a Boeing designation. ( but it's how we call the ones with the bunks). And yes the new MTOW is 351,534 kg (for the moment only 5 or 6 EK 777 have this new MTOW). Thanks for the information :-)

cu

regi

Post by regi »

so the conclusion is: Emirates doesn't come to Brussels.
Right?

Kapitein

Post by Kapitein »

regi wrote:so the conclusion is: Emirates doesn't come to Brussels.
Right?
not yet, but my guess is that they will arrive in 2011

Kabila

Post by Kabila »

According to Luchtvaartnieuws.nl, both Emirates and Qatar will launch passenger flights to Amsterdam by March 2010, citing very reliable sources.

Hopefully they annouce BRU service at the same time, but I really doubt it. :(

If both airlines start AMS, I don't see them opening BRU in the next couple of years.

Atlantis

Post by Atlantis »

Kabila wrote:According to Luchtvaartnieuws.nl, both Emirates and Qatar will launch passenger flights to Amsterdam by March 2010, citing very reliable sources.

Hopefully they annouce BRU service at the same time, but I really doubt it. :(

If both airlines start AMS, I don't see them opening BRU in the next couple of years.
Not yet Kabila, they are thinking of it. Most of the time they don't practice it. It's just to see what the competition will do. AMS is not in the booking engine of EK. AMS is in the booking engine of QR but via MUC.

But it would be a real surprise to see that QR will fly to AMS

1V1

Post by 1V1 »

Tim Clark, told the UK’s Sunday Telegraph newspaper, the Dubai-based carrier’s finances were solid and the airline had no intention of cancelling any orders.

"We are all a bit shocked by what's happened and the global fall-out of the past 48 hours. But Dubai will navigate itself out of this, as will we. I am confident that the airline will not be affected by this," he told the paper.

Dubai rocked the financial world on November 25 when it said it would ask creditors of Dubai World and Nakheel to agree to a standstill on billions of dollars of debt as a first-step to restructuring.

"We have independent sukuks [Islamic bonds] and bonds which are maturing in 2010 and 2011. I know people expect us to repay or refinance them on schedule and we will, most absolutely," the British boss of the flagship airline said.

Emirates only relies on the UAE for 17 percent of its business, the rest is from international passengers.

The airline is dubbed the “jewel in the crown” of Dubai’s assets.

"If there is more turbulence then we will moderate our growth to account for this but we're not going to stop growing, this is a great business," Clarke said.

regi

Post by regi »

Despite of the global economic crisis, despite of the economic shock in Dubai, I do believe Tim Clark. Emirates has some advantages that others don't have.
  • First of all its strategic location . The main artery UK-Australia, and the Asian destinations bring too much turnover to be left aside.
    Secondly their personell managment. The labour cost is much lower because the labour contracts are not comparable to stringent western contracts. Emirates still has a strong attraction to young Europeans because the nett salary is OK.
    Thirdly : they have experience with completely different market situations and have addapted to it succesfully.
    Fourth: They have become so big and powerful that they have quite some reserve and flexability ( in personel and planes ( if some destinations would do less )
    Fifth: their preference status at Dubai.

A problem can be the transfer of labour workers now that employment at Dubai is crumbling.
The real danger would be if Qantas, Virgin and BA would become more aggressive on the Australia route and several Asian destinations. I think that this proces is going on already. I bought Bangkok bound tickets with Qantas in high season for...514 euro all included. Eat that, Emirates.
I don't see a real danger from LCC such as Airasia .
I still have my doubts about the impact of the A380.

shingles

Post by shingles »

Whilst not necessarily disagreeing with anything Tim Clark said in his Telegraph interview, the financial state of Dubai Inc cannot be ignored. The current crisis is highly likely to impact on Emirates in numerous ways, forseeen and unforeseen. What for instance of its relationship with competitor Etihad, the blue-eyed child of its Magwich benefactor Abu Dhabi? There's some interesting analysis here:

http://insidetraveller.co.uk/blog/?p=609

and here

http://insidetraveller.co.uk/blog/?p=622

all of which may delay the arrival of EK at Brussels - or not!

tolipanebas

Post by tolipanebas »

EK has just announced it will open AMS from spring next year....

BrightCedars

Post by BrightCedars »

tolipanebas wrote:EK has just announced it will open AMS from spring next year....
Not seeing anyting on EK's website, care to share the source of the news?

sdbelgium

Post by sdbelgium »

Emirates is to launch flights to Amsterdam, the capital city of The Netherlands from May 1, 2010, part of a new expansion plan over the coming months, the carrier said on Thursday. (...) Amsterdam will be the airline's 23rd route into Europe. The daily, non-stop service from Dubai will be operated with a combination of 777-200LR and 777-300ER aircraft, the company said in a statement.
http://www.arabianbusiness.com/575142-e ... -to-follow

1V1

Post by 1V1 »

shingles wrote: What for instance of its relationship with competitor Etihad, the blue-eyed child of its Magwich benefactor Abu Dhabi?
EY-EK one in 2015 (?)

1V1

Post by 1V1 »

sdbelgium wrote:
Emirates is to launch flights to Amsterdam, the capital city of The Netherlands from May 1, 2010, part of a new expansion plan over the coming months, the carrier said on Thursday. (...) Amsterdam will be the airline's 23rd route into Europe. The daily, non-stop service from Dubai will be operated with a combination of 777-200LR and 777-300ER aircraft, the company said in a statement.
http://www.arabianbusiness.com/575142-e ... -to-follow
Is there still a Brussels air (SN) flight to AMS? Would be nice for the expats.

sdbelgium

Post by sdbelgium »

No, only 4 daily KLM's.