Differences Between BAe 146/Avro RJ85/Avro RJ100

A forum to discuss all aviation items (not for latest aviation news and military aviation news)

Moderator: Latest news team

Comet

Differences Between BAe 146/Avro RJ85/Avro RJ100

Post by Comet »

What are the major visual differences between the BAe 146, the ARJ 85 and the ARJ 100? All my books only ever give specifications for one type of ARJ, never a comparison between all three.

It would make it easier to tell which type I shall be flying on just by looking at it.
Sabena and Sobelair - gone but never forgotten.
Louise

fly

Post by fly »

the difference between a RJ 100 and a RJ 85 is that the fuselage of the 100 is a little bit longer, between the RJ and the Bae 146-200 the difference is substantial:

in the cockpit: BAe 146-200 has no auto throttle, some have no digital instruments (only analog= dials) although the ones of Sn Brussels Airlines have digital instrument readout :D , no Fadec on the engines, different less powerfull engines, smaller cabin than the RJ 100 bigger than the RJ 85
SNBA cabin RJ 100 : 97 pax
RJ 85 : 82 pax
BAe 146-200: 84 pax and no rear galley (ask bart)
Pressurisation system is a bit older than in the RJ series aswell

Now for the visual aspect a 146-200 has kind of bump under the tail, the little bump is there to see if the aircraft had a tailstrike upon landing or take off
where the RJ series have just a strip, thats how you can see as a spotter if its a RJ or a 146-200.
The visual difference between a RJ 85 and 100 , there you will have to count the little windows in front of the wings I am afraid.
regards fly

Avro

Post by Avro »

There is a relatively big difference in length between the 100 and 85. with big difference I mean, that it's quite easy to see the difference just by looking at the plane.

And for the BAe 146 well as fly allready mentioned those of SNBA have a litlle bump at the back. BTW not all of them have the litlle bump to prevent tailstrike. The 300's don't have it while the 100's and 200's have it. But the 146's of SNBA have them !!!

If you want to see a picture where the difference is showed I suggest you use this link https://www.aviation24.be/modules.php?name ... Identifier ;)

Otherwise you can also remember the registrations of SN's RJ's, that'll make it even more easier to recognize the version :)

Greetz
Chris
8)

Comet

Post by Comet »

Thanks for the detailed explanations Fly and Chris, that is a big help.

(It can sometimes be difficult to get the registrations if boarding is done via an airbridge, like it was when I flew on one from MAN, that's why I thought visual differences would make it easier :mrgreen:)
Sabena and Sobelair - gone but never forgotten.
Louise

meerkat

Post by meerkat »

Comet

I suspect that if you can't read off the reg you'll not be able to see the "tailskid" - try asking the crew as they should know what they are working in/on.

Meerkat

Avro

Post by Avro »

In the RJ100 I've been on the registration was displayed inside the plane at the enterance. When you board the plane you'll have to look at yur left on the wall.

There is also the nos of the plane, there you can see the 2 last letters of the registration

Greetz
Chris