How do you collimate you scope?

Planespotting in the upper atmosphere! All pictures, reports or whatever question about upper level traffic come here

Moderator: Plane spotting team

ilpavone2004

How do you collimate you scope?

Post by ilpavone2004 »

I use a laser but even with this tool it's quite difficult. I'm not able to collimate the scope always in the same way but i get always a different result.How do you collimate your scope skystef? And what about other people?

contrailwatcherUK

Re: How do you collimate you scope?

Post by contrailwatcherUK »

I use the laser too, after I use it I take a look to see if it looks collimated and usually it looks a bit of a mess. But the photos come out OK, so I'm happy with it.

ilpavone2004

Post by ilpavone2004 »

well if i collimate with the laser it looks like isn't collimated at my eye. If it's collimated at my eye it looks isn't collimated for the laser. What is better? my eye or the laser?

Skystef

Post by Skystef »

I collimate it a few times a year with a simple cap with a hole in:
When the dot on the mirror fits in the hole by do some screwing, it's OK for me.

contrailwatcherUK

Post by contrailwatcherUK »

ilpavone2004 wrote:well if i collimate with the laser it looks like isn't collimated at my eye. If it's collimated at my eye it looks isn't collimated for the laser. What is better? my eye or the laser?
I think the laser, because someone told me that the scope isnt supposed to look accurate with the eye, especially with our biiiiiiig dobson scopes ;)