Qantas A330-300 SIN-PER in severe turbulence, 50 pax injured

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

LX-LGX

Qantas A330-300 SIN-PER in severe turbulence, 50 pax injured

Post by LX-LGX »

On Tuesday 7 October, Qantas flight QF72 from Singapore to Perth made an emergency landing at Learmonth Airport (near Exmouth, Western Australia) after what has been described as a mid-air incident.

Qantas said passengers had suffered fractures and lacerations following a sudden change in altitude. About 50 of the 303 passengers and 10 crew on board A330 had been injured.

Australian Source - with more details:
http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/s ... 21,00.html

regi

Re: Qantas A330-300 SIN-PER in severe turbulence, 50 pax injured

Post by regi »

For the non-Dutch speakers, this is a "luchtzak"
But what is causing this?
Most of the members know me probably of the rather strange conclusions ( but I was the first to name wind shear for the MD-80 crash at Phuket )
Now it comes, hold on: :geek:
Australia is a large supplier of iron ore . The more you take away ( Japan is the biggest customer, they do also own some mines) , the more you disturb the magnetic field.
If we continue like this we might end up in the scenario of the movie " The Core "
Enjoy your day folks.

itami

Post by itami »

regi wrote:Australia is a large supplier of iron ore . The more you take away the more you disturb the magnetic field.
And what's the relationship to turbulence ? :mrgreen:

regi

Post by regi »

Flying is an action to overcome gravity. If the magnetic field of the earth changes, so does gravity.

But I am not an UFO geek, no worries.
Within some days we will read that the sudden drop was caused by turbulence. But we will not read the cause of the turbulence.

jan_olieslagers

Post by jan_olieslagers »

regi wrote:If the magnetic field of the earth changes, so does gravity.
Could you please elaborate? Or link to some support? It sounds quite bizarre to me.
As to the causes of turbulence, ISTR from my PPL ground class this phenomenon is well understood by today's scientists.

Duigan

Post by Duigan »

A bit more information on the incident

http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/stor ... rrer=email

itami

Post by itami »

regi wrote:But we will not read the cause of the turbulence.
What causes turbulence?
Turbulence is the up-and-down air currents that help to mix the air in the troposphere. It is usually mentioned in the context of airplane flights, where these air currents can feel like "bumps in the road" while flying. Turbulence can occur in the lowest part of the troposphere during the daytime when heating of the sun causes convective mixing of the air. Once the airplane rises above this turbulent "boundary layer", the air becomes smoother. But other processes can also cause these up- and down-drafts. One example is convective clouds. If an airplane must fly through a thunderstorm, these updrafts and downdrafts can be very strong. There is also "clear air turbulence", which can also become very strong. This usually occurs near jet streams, where rapidly changing wind speeds with height can combine with an unstable air layer to cause "waves" of up and down motion in this air layer. ;)

LX-LGX

Post by LX-LGX »

Already on youtube : emergency services board the plane

Seems to me that there is some damage to the interior of the plane - caused by luggage?

Desert Rat

Post by Desert Rat »

itami wrote: There is also "clear air turbulence", which can also become very strong. This usually occurs near jet streams, where rapidly changing wind speeds with height can combine with an unstable air layer to cause "waves" of up and down motion in this air layer. ;)
Wich can cause as well A/C overspeed and the all bunch of inspection to be carried out following the overspeed event... :|

Megaman

Post by Megaman »

regi wrote:Flying is an action to overcome gravity. If the magnetic field of the earth changes, so does gravity.
:D My physics books taught me that gravity was a function of mass and not the magnetic field. A mass of a certain size will produce a certain force of attraction. I do agree however that magnetisme will affect the needle of a compass but won't make you jump higher or lower.

earthman

Post by earthman »

The most recent info is that the incident might have been caused not by turbulence but by a malfunctioning computer.

euroflyer

Post by euroflyer »

earthman wrote:The most recent info is that the incident might have been caused not by turbulence but by a malfunctioning computer.
If that would be confirmed I think Qantas might hit some real turbulences :? A lot of "bad luck" which they have had recently :oops:
Star Alliance Gold / LH Senator
A300 A318 A319 A320 A321 A340 B737 B747 B757 B767 MD81 MD82 MD90 Tu134 IL18 BAe146 RJ85 RJ100 CRJ200 CRJ700 CRJ900 ERJ145 E170 E195 F50 F70 F100 ATR42 ATR72 Q300 Q400
http://my.flightmemory.com/euroflyer

regi

Post by regi »

OK guys, I was just kidding about that magnetism.

It was not necessary to me to explain what cause turbulence. I just said that it would be said to be the cause, but that the press would not further elaborate the cause of turbulence.

Similar to the announcement during a flight that you have to fasten your seatbelt because of turbulence. But they give no explanation about cold/hot air, convections,...maybe just a word about a strom that they try to avoid ( immediately you see passengers reach for anxiety pills and/or vomiting baggs )

If that computer problem would be true, bad news for Airbus, not only for Qantas.

Depretair

Post by Depretair »

Hello,

Following what i have read this morning on TF1.fr, it seems to be a bug in a computer of this A330.

Here is the link to the article (in french)http://tf1.lci.fr/infos/monde/asie/0,,4 ... ntas-.html

Cheers,

Olivier ;-)

jan_olieslagers

Post by jan_olieslagers »

Yes, there's a similar topic in Dutch on http://www.deredactie.be The silly journo's call it a computer problem, whereas their own text goes on to explain the problem was with a detector. Oh, well, yes...

regi

Post by regi »

so my theory of distorted magnetism could be right, if it is a detector that failed ?
You see, that is what I meant by "they don't mention the cause of turbulence "

Desert Rat

Post by Desert Rat »

ADIRU #1 problem (Air Data & Inertial Reference Unit)....