Auckland - Honolulu on Air New Zealand

Share your experiences about your latest flights: details and pictures are highly appreciated by our community. How do you rate airlines, in-flight meals, frequent flyer programs, etc... join this forum now!
Comet

Auckland - Honolulu on Air New Zealand

Post by Comet »

Auckland to Honolulu - flight number NZ010. Flight operated by Boeing 767-300 ZK-NCI http://www.airliners.net/open.file/055580/M/.

We shouldn't have been on this flight, but for the incompetence of the Air New Zealand reservations staff. When we had originally received our tickets before we set off, we phoned the airline to reconfirm the reservations. We were told that the inept individual who had issued our tickets, marked "status OK", had cancelled the flight reservations as soon as the tickets were issued. The moral of this tale is always reconfirm flight bookings!

We managed to get seats on all our flights, but the one from Auckland which we should have gone on was full. This flight was operated by Boeing 747-200 and stopped off in Fiji (so we missed out on an exotic stop!!) Others operated to Honolulu via the Cook Islands, Samoa and Tonga - all very exotic, but we had been given seats on a non-stop service which was also to be my first ever flight in a Boeing 767.

Auckland was not a great spotting airport, just a small balcony, but we saw our aircraft arrive (which I always enjoy!) Before we boarded the aircraft, some Maori ground staff performed a "haka" war dance.

We boarded the aircraft. I had a window seat, but that was the only positive point. The aircraft clearly had not been cleaned after its previous flight. Down the side of my seat I found several hundred cigarette ends (smoking was allowed on flights out of Japan, where this aircraft had just been). The aircraft was cold and draughty, and the flaps made a loud squealing noise. The take off was smooth, and it was reasonably clear.

Just after take off, leaving New Zealand.

We had a good aerial view of New Zealand, and then we headed out over the Pacific. We had left at lunchtime on Wednesday, and soon we were served our meal. As I pulled the table down, the cover of the seat in front of me fell off, exposing the bare frame of the seat. The meal was quite reasonable - Thai fragrant meatballs with rice and topped with slices of water chestnut. That was the first time I had tried water chestnut, but I liked it.

The flight lasted 8 hours 20 minutes. It was dark when we made a very smooth touchdown in Honolulu. It wa salso Tuesday night, as we had crossed the International Date Line from Wednesday back into Tuesday! We took off on the 20th September and landed on the 19th September!

When we left the aircraft, the hot, steamy, humid air of Honolulu hit us. It was different to the cool, fresh air of Auckland. The distances in Honolulu airport were great, so after the arrivals hall, we were taken by a mini bus to immigration/baggage reclaim/customs. Before we boarded the bus to the hotel, we were presented with a "lei" (flower garland) by a woman in traditional costume.

In the City Guide forum there will be illustrated reports on all the places of this holiday - Los Angeles, Sydney, Auckland and Honolulu.
Sabena and Sobelair - gone but never forgotten.
Louise

TWA

Post by TWA »

Dear comet,

Can you help me out? $
I have some friends who are leaving in Feb. to New Zealand out of LHR. They were given more or less same fare quotes on SQ and NZ.
Malaysian and Qantas were £80 more expensive. (but this is not a problem for them)

I've never travelled on one of these airlines and my friends asked me what airline to choose.
Based upon your experiences, which airline would you take?

TWA

BTW thx for your nice report.

Comet

Post by Comet »

Thanks for your comments TWA, glad you liked the report.

Tell your friends to never, ever fly with Air New Zealand!! If I had the choice, I would take SQ because they always sound good, but I've never flown with them.
Louise

Comet

Post by Comet »

The photo link in the first post was chosen because that was the Air New Zealand livery in use at the time of the flights, I think it was much nicer than their current one, I think that looks harsh.
Louise

vflies

Post by vflies »

TWA wrote:Based upon your experiences, which airline would you take?
Hello:

Sorry Louise, I will have to disagree with you here. lol

I've never flown Malaysian but I've flown the other three.
SIA never quite live up to my expectations... and since they don't fly to BRU anymore, why bother?
In my opinion, Qantas would offer the most comfortable flight.

However my body prefers flying westwards and AirNZ is the only carrier doing it as they stop at LAX rather than somewhere in South East Asia...
I find it really helps soothe the jet lag!
Now it's up to your friends to see where they'd rather lay over...

And if they want to collect miles with a Star or a OneWorld airline...
Of course if their frequent flyer account has enough miles, now is the time to use them to get an upgrade!!!!

My 2cents worth...

VFlies

Comet

Post by Comet »

Vance - I completely agree about westward flights being better, we had no jet lag when we flew to LAX from LHR, and no jet lag from LAX to SYD, but from LAX to LHR the jet lag is terrible (my theory is that it is because you follow the path of the sun, instead of flying against it, so you follow the natural daylight progression).

The problem, in my opinion, is Air New Zealand! Although I have come across decent crews with them, the majority are ignorant, bad mannered and downright aggressive! They really treat passengers like something I won't mention in polite company (I have more reports to write about them!)

For westward flights, I would suggest (quite a long winded route, but it's one I'm considering next time I go to LAX) Air Canada to Toronto or Vancouver, then Air Canada again to LAX. Then if you want to go onwards to Australia, go for Qantas. Return, go for Qantas to London because you are going west, in the direction of the sun, like I said before.
Louise

vflies

Post by vflies »

Comet wrote:The problem, in my opinion, is Air New Zealand! Although I have come across decent crews with them, the majority are ignorant, bad mannered and downright aggressive! They really treat passengers like something I won't mention in polite company (I have more reports to write about them!)
Louise, did you have problems with the British crews on the LHR-LAX leg or with the Kiwis on the last leg?
The difference in culture is indeed quite noticeable...

Did you fill a formal complain?
If you did, what was the airline's response?
That always tells a lot...

I'll tell you about my last AA flight from ORD to BRU just two weeks ago. Quite revealing!

VFlies

Comet

Post by Comet »

Vance - all the crews I encountered on Air New Zealand were Kiwis (I didn't know they employed British crews, unless they have done since I last flew with them).

We did fill in a form of questionnaire, but we never heard anything, it was one we collected from their office in Auckland (the staff there were ignorant as well).

Their whole attitude is "couldn't care less", that's what came across to us.

Will be interested to hear your flight report about AA (I have a friend who thinks they are wonderful!)
Louise

Avro

Post by Avro »

Great report Louise. Continue to post them ;)

It must really be special to take off on the day after the landing :lol:

Ciao
Chris
8)
Last edited by Avro on 12 Dec 2003, 20:29, edited 1 time in total.

Comet

Post by Comet »

I've just checked the Air New Zealand website. Flight NZ010 still operates, though not on a Wednesday any more (though still at the same time of day). It is still operated by the Boeing 767-300.
Louise

Comet

Post by Comet »

Thanks for your comments Chris. I'm glad you liked this unusual report!!
Yes, it was unusual to land on the day before I had taken off!!!
Last edited by Comet on 12 Dec 2003, 19:53, edited 1 time in total.
Louise

Comet

Post by Comet »

On our flight down to Sydney from Los Angeles, we set off on Wednesday night, lost most of Thursday because of the Date Line, and landed on Friday morning.

This way, we got back the day that we had lost on the way down.
Louise

Comet

Post by Comet »

Next time Ah duh wun o'these, Ah'll purra train repoo-art on, mek it look like "Gret Railway Jerneys O'World" if that's what foo-ak like on here!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Louise

Comet

Post by Comet »

Comet wrote:Next time Ah duh wun o'these, Ah'll purra train repoo-art on, mek it look like "Gret Railway Jerneys O'World" if that's what foo-ak like on here!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Here is a translation for those not fluent in Broo-ad Yorksher :lol:

Next time I do one of these, I'll put a train report on, make it look loike "Great Railway Journeys of the World" if that's what folk like on here!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Louise

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Comet wrote:Next time Ah duh wun o'these, Ah'll purra train repoo-art on, mek it look like "Gret Railway Jerneys O'World" if that's what foo-ak like on here!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Louise,

I should appreciate that you keep your local language for the Luchtzak pub and post only in plain English in the other sections of Luchtzak, for the benefit of most readers.

Thanks in anticipation for your co-operation!
Last edited by sn26567 on 15 Dec 2003, 09:45, edited 1 time in total.
André
ex Sabena #26567

Comet

Post by Comet »

It was only a joke!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And at least I told people exactly what it meant!!!!
Louise

Comet

Post by Comet »

Andre- you've got what you wanted, there will be no more Yorkshire dialect posted on Luchtzak (anywhere on this site). In future I will post in "plain English" and nothing else (but I think the English rule should apply to everyone and not just me).
Louise

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Louise,

The English rule is in application in the whole of Luchtzak, except in the French/Dutch section and in the pub!

Please feel free to use Broad Yorkshire in the pub. No bad intentions were implied at any time!
André
ex Sabena #26567

A318

Post by A318 »

sn26567 wrote:Louise,

The English rule is in application in the whole of Luchtzak, except in the French/Dutch section and in the pub!

Please feel free to use Broad Yorkshire in the pub. No bad intentions were implied at any time!
Thanks for that one, if everybody starts writing in his local dialect it is going to be a mess here.
I know some dutch people who were flying with Air New Zealand but I heared totally the oposite story as from Comet.
Nice service and a very friendly crew so you probably had a bad experience or it is the difference in culture.
It is not for nothing that lots of dutch emigrate to New Zealand so i guess the culture fits them good.
For TWA, my family that lives in Canberra-Australia are always flying with Quantas, this is the absolute experience in quality air travel with a wonderful full service.
I can not confirm it since i never flown with Quantas but I follow blindly the opinion of my family.

Greetz,

Erwin
A Whole Different Animal

TWA

Post by TWA »

Thank you guys for this information about traveloptions to New Zealand, I will pass it on to my friends and I'm pretty sure they'll appreciate your input.

TWA