Aviapartner strike @ Brussels Airport (and Flightcare too)

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

Jean

Re: Aviapartner strike @ Brussels Airport (and Flightcare too)

Post by Jean »

I for one have been following the situation for a reason that has been discussed here: i would be crazy enough to go and work with one of those two companies if the opportunity presented itself. I would love to be a load controller/red cap and if you know that i am a teacher right nog, you can imagine the change of life style i would be willing to go into.

All these problems have of course made me very cautious and in the event that i would be able to start, i would love to have some more intel on the working conditions.

Something else: somebody mentionned the bad rep Brussels is getting with these strikes! I firmly believe to is not the case: it is a typical as Belgian Beer for us belgians to complain about our own country, system, whatever... I mean, you hear of strikes 24/7 all around the globe, in France, Italy, wherever? And yet we don't start by saying that people will never travel to those countries or start avoiding it. So let us be antiBelgianminded by saying that the image of BRU airport is as normal as ever...

Anyway, guys, i see a lot of different opinions, lets keep it friendly. And FC and AP, whenever you have good working conditions, call me ;)

fc82091

Post by fc82091 »

don't worry its not as bad as it sounds ;)
don't know the words in english but people are tend to be "kudde dieren"
the union delegees want to show management what they can do and most workers just follow them blindly

taz1968

Post by taz1968 »

My opinion, I think the strikers made there point, its clear now to Aviapartner management that the situation as it is now cant continue.
But realise also that this cant be solved in days, going from 3 to 5 persons a shift isnt accomplished in a few days
I would suggest to the strikers to start working again, even without a result, but with a promise/ultimatum to aviapartner/flightcare management that if this isnt resolved in 1 or 2 weeks, strikes will start again.

Keep also in mind that the summer period always gives a shortage of personell, because most of us like to take there hollidays when the weather is fine and our kids have a holliday to, even the aviapartner/flightcare personell.
For handling companies this is a problem that cant be resolved (completely), because replacing the worker on holiday isn't possible (completely), temps are almost no option, because although maybe most of us think a ramphandler is only a guy who takes luggage from 1 point to another, there is more to that and good training is important.

rgds

fc82091

Post by fc82091 »

flightcare back to work, aviapartner not yet as far as i've heard

744rules

Post by 744rules »

fc82091 wrote:flightcare back to work, aviapartner not yet as far as i've heard
Situation looks unclear, but agreement has been accepted and looks all shift start to work.

Teletext, Gazet van Antwerpen and Nieuwsblad show no updated info (0600lt). Only Laaste Nieuws has been updated. Just checked Dutch Press.

News is also on Flemish radio
motorcycling : sensation with a twist of the wrist

Acid-drop

Post by Acid-drop »

I wish they had said "ok, it's true, you diserve a good salary raise, but first we will take the first 24 months of this raise to pay back the mess you created with your strike".

Heard again on the radio today that we are one of the only country where union does not have a juridical personality, meaning one cannot attack them when they are in fault like the lack of notice before the strike or the lack of respect of a sign contract.

fc82091

Post by fc82091 »

well some airlines are trying to get the money they lost back from the ground handling agent (brussels airlines from flightcare etc)
if they succeed the handling agents will surely try to get the money back at the expense of the employees as everyone knows. since this is well known why do the unions still go on strikes ? just to prove their power to the company ?

Comet

Post by Comet »

It's on the BRU website that the strike is now over and all handlers are back at work.

THANK GOD!!!!!
End of strike at Aviapartner and Flightcare

Since 2 am this morning all baggage workers at Brussels Airport have resumed work.

Posted by HVDB on August 13, 2008 9:35 AM
Sabena and Sobelair - gone but never forgotten.
Louise

Comet

Post by Comet »

Latest update from BMI - some LHR flights cancelled but EMA, LBA and EDI flights landing in BRU, albeit around 90 minutes late, but at least they are running again.
Louise

Air Key West

Post by Air Key West »

Of course, wild cat strikes cannot really be condoned. It would have been much better if the baggage handlers had introduced a notice of strike together with their unions last Monday, announcing that they would go on strike next indefinitely on Thursday 14 AUG at 1700 hours for instance if no agreement had been reached during those three days between workers' unions and management.
But otherwise, I'm all in favor of an occasional (notified) strike to make management aware they cannot do what they want with their workers (unless the employers are really exemplary, but do these exist ?)
In favor of quality air travel.

Comet

Post by Comet »

We've always been impressed by the handling at BRU compared to many other airports we've used. The only time we've had luggage problems it has never been down to the handling at BRU - we once had a problem with baggage handling at BHX and once our bags were never loaded at LHR but we've always found BRU to be very efficient and never have to wait long for our bags after we've left the plane.

The worst handling I've ever seen was at Dublin - most bags seemed to drop off the vans onto the tarmac before they even reached the plane.
Louise

Atlantis

Post by Atlantis »

It's now official: Brussels Airport received a warning of some airlines. They will not allow such actions of the handling agents. They will leave the airport with the next big general strike.

And if that is not enough, Aviapartner will strike again (the apply is sended) when the management will not keep their promisses.

Acid-drop

Post by Acid-drop »

yeah well, those companies need BRU as much as BRU need them. there are people to move around and I dont believe they'll leave the market to another company like that ...
But the strikes and the way the all mighty union create them in Belgium is a shame. We look like clowns.

Atlantis

Post by Atlantis »

I don't know if you all people knows how terrible it was for the image of Brussels Airport.

We have here some organsations, for Brucargo and the (pax)airport, who are working behind the scenes. We don't communicate with the outside world but we try to attract the best people for the airport. There is maybe a change to build up a "school", it's not really a school but call it like that, to learn the future employees the different tasks you can have on the airport. We they will succeed then can start right away at Brucargo or the airport itselfs. This is only one thing.
On the other hand, you can give the airlines the best service but you can not give them with striks every month like in the past.

There is a lot more then you all can read in the paper or see on television. And this was really bad, I can assure you.

Conti764

Post by Conti764 »

Atlantis wrote:It's now official: Brussels Airport received a warning of some airlines. They will not allow such actions of the handling agents. They will leave the airport with the next big general strike.
Which airlines?
And if that is not enough, Aviapartner will strike again (the apply is sended) when the management will not keep their promisses.
Time for a third handling agent at BRU.

Atlantis

Post by Atlantis »

Conti764 wrote:
Time for a third handling agent at BRU.
Minister Schouppe is working on it together with Brussels Airport. Problem is that due to - don't know the correct translation for Koninklijk Besluit - the airport can't allowed a third handler till 2011. But minister Schouppe will forced this to an earlier date. That would be a real solution.

jan_olieslagers

Post by jan_olieslagers »

What solution? However many the operators, they'll all be operating under the same rules - that's what free enterprise is about. So all operators will be underpaying and overstressing their staff alike. No frigging use to add more.

Conti764

Post by Conti764 »

jan_olieslagers wrote:What solution? However many the operators, they'll all be operating under the same rules - that's what free enterprise is about. So all operators will be underpaying and overstressing their staff alike. No frigging use to add more.
Then it's time to change the rules and guarantee better work and salary conditions to the loaders. FC and AP directions have shown they are unreliable so maybe it's time for BAC to consider their own ground handling division so they can be closer to the work force and anticipate better on growing troubles on the tarmac.

Atlantis

Post by Atlantis »

Conti764 wrote:
jan_olieslagers wrote:What solution? However many the operators, they'll all be operating under the same rules - that's what free enterprise is about. So all operators will be underpaying and overstressing their staff alike. No frigging use to add more.
Then it's time to change the rules and guarantee better work and salary conditions to the loaders. FC and AP directions have shown they are unreliable so maybe it's time for BAC to consider their own ground handling division so they can be closer to the work force and anticipate better on growing troubles on the tarmac.
Indeed, an own handling company under supervision of Brussels Airport. We had the same situation years ago when Sabena was still in the air. They had their own cleaning, catering, baggage handling, etc. There were only big problems when it was known for sure that Sabena went bankrupt.

For the image of Brussels Airport and a good service to all the clients it is recommended to start with it in 2010.

744rules

Post by 744rules »

Would a third handler really be THE solution ??

If they start, they will be working under the same conditions (partair comitee) and thus minimum pays will be mandatory. So, where will the difference be ??

Everybody does the same job for the same price. Who says the unions of all three handlers will not talk together and make agreements (such as not breaking eachothers strike).

A full loaded aircraft is a full loaded a/c. It takes the the same effort for everybody to load/unload it.

As for the companies leaving BRU : how many people said they would no longer buy a Renault when they moved out of Belgium.
What is the first reaction of somebody who thinks he is bad treated : I will never fly your airline again, I will never buy your stuff again, I will never travel to your country again, .................
motorcycling : sensation with a twist of the wrist