Alitalia: rebirth after near bankruptcy

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

website-info

Re: Alitalia: rebirth after near bankruptcy

Post by website-info »

Guys,

the make up ofthe new Alitalia is:
Alitalia - Compagnia Aerea Italiana SpA
12 x A319
11 x A320
23 x A321
6 x B763
10 x B772
23 x MD82

everything else is stored or for sale or sold (23 MD82 are already in South Africa) 4 out of 5 MD11's are already in the USA being prepared for new carriers

Alitalia Express - CAI First SpA
6 x E170

3 ATR72 are stored Brindisi and 7 in Koln
8 E145 are stored Clermont Ferrand the remainder still in Italy but will not fly for SXM

Volareweb - CAI Second SpA.
will only operate 2 x A320 IWEBA/WEBB

Rgds
Tony

LX-LGX

Post by LX-LGX »

Air Key West wrote:Since giving birth to the new Alitalia was so difficult and that the final deal was signed just before the first flight of the new AZ took off...
Indeed : that's what they've told us: that it was only decided at the very last day.

I don't believe that. I assume CAI / AirOne / Alitalia already agreed with Air France-KLM weeks ago. But AF/KLM had to wait to announce their investment till the official papers (Alitalia/AirOne/CAI) were signed on 12th January, and the New Alitalia was officially launched = on the 13th January. If Air France would have signed its participation before that day, Alitalia's liquidator would have seen the 323 mio euro investment as partnership in (the old) Alitalia.

Because after all, let's not forget that - thanks to new Italian bankruptcy legislation from August 2008 - the old Alitalia leaves quite some supplier companies with unpaid bills, and banks with outstanding amounts.

Buzz

Post by Buzz »

website-info wrote:Guys,

the make up ofthe new Alitalia is:
Alitalia - Compagnia Aerea Italiana SpA
12 x A319
11 x A320
23 x A321
6 x B763
10 x B772
23 x MD82

everything else is stored or for sale or sold (23 MD82 are already in South Africa) 4 out of 5 MD11's are already in the USA being prepared for new carriers

Alitalia Express - CAI First SpA
6 x E170

3 ATR72 are stored Brindisi and 7 in Koln
8 E145 are stored Clermont Ferrand the remainder still in Italy but will not fly for SXM

Volareweb - CAI Second SpA.
will only operate 2 x A320 IWEBA/WEBB

Rgds
Tony
Thanks for the overview. I assume this is just the old-AZ part of the new AZ? The AirOne fleet is not included? (I see no mention of CRJ-900's and Avro's)

Strange that they downsized considerably, but still kept the MD82's. I thought with AirOne's fleet, they would just stick to A32X aircraft for short haul. Seems they did not downsize as much as I thought.

ticketbuyer

Post by ticketbuyer »

I think the MD-82s will only be kept for a short time. The newly-opened high speed railway between Milan and Rome will cause a big drop in air traffic on this route, AZ's busiest.
Furthermore Airone has over 60 A320s on order and they are being delivered at over one a month

ticketbuyer

Post by ticketbuyer »

'Unions at Air France said they called for strike action on January 29'- Airwise
'the strikes announced on January 19th by AirOne and Alitalia's personnel' -Avionews

Air France and Alitalia, the perfect match.

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

The new Alitalia has dropped 30 international destinations, some of which were quite important:

Western Europe: Berlin Tegel, Bilbao, Copenhagen, Helsinki, Ibiza, Lisbon, Lyon, Maastricht, Malaga, Marseille, Porto, Strasbourg, Stuttgart, Thessaloniki, Valencia, Vienna, Zurich

Eastern Europe: Bratislava, Lodz, Minsk, Zagreb

Long-haul: Colombo, Dakar, Delhi, Dubai, Havana, Male, Mauritius, Mumbai
André
ex Sabena #26567

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Barely Off Ground, New Alitalia Faces First Strike

Less than a week after its debut under private ownership, Alitalia will witness its first strike Monday to protest recent reforms and uncertainty over the future of the Italian carrier. Called for by the SDL union, the four-hour work stoppage will take place between 0900 - 1300 GMT. SDL has threatened another 24-hour strike at an unspecified date.

More from AFP
André
ex Sabena #26567

jan_olieslagers

Post by jan_olieslagers »

sn26567 wrote:Less than a week after its debut under private ownership, Alitalia will witness its first strike Monday
This must be what LH knew...!

euroflyer

Post by euroflyer »

sn26567 wrote:Barely Off Ground, New Alitalia Faces First Strike

Less than a week after its debut under private ownership, Alitalia will witness its first strike Monday to protest recent reforms and uncertainty over the future of the Italian carrier. Called for by the SDL union, the four-hour work stoppage will take place between 0900 - 1300 GMT. SDL has threatened another 24-hour strike at an unspecified date.

More from AFP
If this will really go ahead, so what is NEW than with the NEW Alitalia ?? The poor people who were forced by Berlusconi to sink their money in this company (has he invested himself as well?, I guess not ...) and the poor people at Air One who did a good job over years and have now been forced to merge which such a chaotic company ...

LH will be pleased I guess. I would not be surprised to see soon more than six A319 in LH Italia colours ...
Star Alliance Gold / LH Senator
A300 A318 A319 A320 A321 A340 B737 B747 B757 B767 MD81 MD82 MD90 Tu134 IL18 BAe146 RJ85 RJ100 CRJ200 CRJ700 CRJ900 ERJ145 E170 E195 F50 F70 F100 ATR42 ATR72 Q300 Q400
http://my.flightmemory.com/euroflyer

regi

Post by regi »

It is as if you give an addicted smoker every year another new heart, an new set of lungs, do some artery churgery and give him a pallet of cigarets for his Christmas present.
This will only end when Alitalia is gone, dead, vanished, forgotten.
I kept a bit silent the latest months, but all recent developments just show that this thing called new Alitalia, or whatever, needs urgently to undergo euthanasia - even against its own will.
But when we look at how this company acts, I start to believe it applies itself for euthanasia.
Pull out the plug, next year all will be forgotten .

ticketbuyer

Post by ticketbuyer »

Alitalia has changed but the Italians haven't. Some people say the Italians have such a good lifestyle because they have so much time to perfect it. Let's hope the Protestants are as happy with their work ethic.
There is so much politics intwined with AZ that it will never be allowed to fail in the forseeable future no matter how much it costs the Italian taxpayer
Anyway, look on the bright side, besides strikes, what does this new monster, AF-KLM-AZ, have to offer.
I would welcome any corrections/updates of these approximate figures.
750 modern planes, 14 runways, 4 hubs(potentially) across the middle of one of the richest parts of the world; 400 to 600km apart, all planned to be linked by high-speed trains. Total hub catchment area of over 20 million rich people with lots of business and first class traffic. 2 important national capitals, also probably the world's top 2 tourist destinations. Cultures synonymous with good living. I'm sure there's more.
It looks very impressive and seems to have great potential.

regi

Post by regi »

yeah yeah, but Panam also disappeared.

euroflyer

Post by euroflyer »

ticketbuyer wrote:Alitalia has changed but the Italians haven't. Some people say the Italians have such a good lifestyle because they have so much time to perfect it. Let's hope the Protestants are as happy with their work ethic.
There is so much politics intwined with AZ that it will never be allowed to fail in the forseeable future no matter how much it costs the Italian taxpayer
Anyway, look on the bright side, besides strikes, what does this new monster, AF-KLM-AZ, have to offer.
I would welcome any corrections/updates of these approximate figures.
750 modern planes, 14 runways, 4 hubs(potentially) across the middle of one of the richest parts of the world; 400 to 600km apart, all planned to be linked by high-speed trains. Total hub catchment area of over 20 million rich people with lots of business and first class traffic. 2 important national capitals, also probably the world's top 2 tourist destinations. Cultures synonymous with good living. I'm sure there's more.
It looks very impressive and seems to have great potential.
Hm, we all know they have the potential ... But AZ in the past had that potential already as well, and what did they do ? :cry: Plus they are about to leave one of their 4 hubs (MXP) at least the function of a hub will not be continued there. And you forgot to mention they also have some of the nicest trade unions on offer 8-) :lol: 8-)
A300 A318 A319 A320 A321 A340 B737 B747 B757 B767 MD81 MD82 MD90 Tu134 IL18 BAe146 RJ85 RJ100 CRJ200 CRJ700 CRJ900 ERJ145 E170 E195 F50 F70 F100 ATR42 ATR72 Q300 Q400

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

According to ANSA: The number of passengers of the new Alitalia is increasing, with the load factor, which is the capacity utilization of aircraft, rising to 59%. This was reported by Rocco Sabelli, at the first convention with the employees. At the beginning of February, the load factor was around 43%.

The rate of regularity, which indicates the number of flights that took off is at 99.5% while the index of punctuality (takeoffs and landings within 15 minutes the time required) is around 70%.
André
ex Sabena #26567

euroflyer

Post by euroflyer »

sn26567 wrote:According to ANSA: The number of passengers of the new Alitalia is increasing, with the load factor, which is the capacity utilization of aircraft, rising to 59%. This was reported by Rocco Sabelli, at the first convention with the employees. At the beginning of February, the load factor was around 43%.

The rate of regularity, which indicates the number of flights that took off is at 99.5% while the index of punctuality (takeoffs and landings within 15 minutes the time required) is around 70%.
And I read somewhere last week, that the load factor of the new LH Italia (which by the way had the first flight to Brussels today, I saw the preparations for a welcome ceremony early today when I arrived in BRU), which is however so far flying to only a handful of cities and only from MXP, has been far above 70% in the first weeks of operations and therefore far higher than that of the new AZ ...

Air Key West

Post by Air Key West »

Even if it sometimes looks a bit boring, you cannot beat German efficiency. If you add to it a bit of Italian way of life (without the strikes, hopefully), Lufthansa Italia should become a smashing hit. But I also wish all the best to (the new) Alitalia. If they don't take over the bad habits of the old Alitalia (especially, the strikes), there is no reason why they should not make it either.
In favor of quality air travel.

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Air France-KLM completes the acquisition of a 25% stake in Alitalia

Following Air France-KLM's announcement on 12 January 2009 and the approval of the competition authorities, the Air France-KLM Group has today completed its acquisition of a 25% stake in Alitalia through the subscription to a reserved capital increase for an amount of some €323 million.

This strenghtened partnership cemented by Air France-KLM's minority stake in Alitalia gives Air France-KLM greater access to the Italian market thanks to Alitalia which, following its acquisition of Air One, has reinforced its position on the domestic market.

Air France press release, Wednesday 25 March 2009
André
ex Sabena #26567