brussels airlines BRU-BMA-BRU

Share your experiences about your latest flights: details and pictures are highly appreciated by our community. How do you rate airlines, in-flight meals, frequent flyer programs, etc... join this forum now!
Avro

brussels airlines BRU-BMA-BRU

Post by Avro »

I just had my first flights with the new brussels airlines and would like to make a little report as to share my experience with all the memebers of Luchtzak. This flight report has been posted on www.airliners.net as well for those interested.

BRU-BMA 10/08/2007

Airline: Brussels airlines
Aircraft: Avro RJ100
Flight: SN2303
Seat: 17F
b.flex 1 pax
b.light 83 pax

Boarding started on time and the flight was well booked in b.light. The b.flex class however was nearly empty with only one person in the three rows of b.flex.
The boarding went quickly and while entering the plane, the b.light pax got their menu handed over by one of the two flight attendants. As soon as everybody was seated the usual safety announcements where made and the new codeshare agreement with Jet Airways was announced. The announcements where made in three languages (English, French and Dutch) with an additional Swedish tape. I had seat 17F which gave a nice view outside! As always on the SN’s Avros the pitch was ok and the seats comfortable even though you see they were a little bit worn out.
Despite the heavy loadfactor in the b.light section of the plane, I had some luck as the only no show passenegers of the flight where those seated next to me. I thus had three seats for alone ;-)Once everything was ready we quickly taxied to runway 25R. During the taxi the cockpit crew introduced themselves and whished us a nice flight. The take off roll was probably heavily de-rated as it took a very long time for the plane to accelerate and to get airborne. As a passenger you were hardly pushed back into your seat.
Once in flight the crew started with the catering sales. As I was seated at the rear of the plane, the breakfast wasn’t available anymore when it was my turn to order the snacks. Unfortunately I wasn’t able to test the pastries they offer during the flight :-s As I was hungry I decided to taste the tuna sandwich which was unfortunately not available as well. In the end I had the cheese sandwich and ordered a SPA water with it. To be honest I was a little bit disappointed in the quality of the cheese sandwich. This is probably the only negative point I have to mention, but the sandwich was nothing special. Additionally it didn’t seem very fresh. For the same price I had better sandwiches on other airlines.. It’s maybe a point where Brussels airlines could improve their inflight catering!! As people pay separately for their food they expect more than if it's included in the ticket price. At least I do...

The rest of the flight was uneventful. The crew performed their job in a professional way being both friendly and helpful. We landed on time and in a heavy rain shower on runway 30 at Bromma airport. We had some crosswinds or gusts as we first touched down on one of the main gears follwoed by the other one seconds after. That was a funny experience.

BMA-BRU 15/08/2007

Airline: Brussels airlines
Aircraft: Avro RJ85
Flight: SN2304
Seat: 4A
b.flex 5 pax
b.light ~50 pax

After a short but very nice stay in the beautiful city of Stockholm it was time to head back towards Brussels. This time it would be OO-DJT which would take us back to Belgium. And what a nice surprise to see that I would still be flying a plane having the very nice S-tail painted on the fuselage !! probably the last time :-(

Once again the crew proceeded with the boarding on time and the passengers were quickly seated. This time the passengers didn’t get their b.light menu while boarding but during the flight. Once the usual announcements where made, the plane quickly taxied towards runway 12. It lined up and the cockpit crew announced to the passengers that we would take off in about 30 seconds. As Bromma has a short runway (a bit like Tempelhof, Florence or London city) the brakes where activated while you could hear the four engines spooling up rapidly. Once the sound was stabilized we stayed at full power with brakes on for several seconds. Then the brakes where rapidly released and the plane accelerated like a rocket. After a short take-off roll we where airborne. It’s agreat take-off where you feel all the power of the airplane. A big contrast with the heavily de-rated take off I got in Brussels . A
s I had a window seat on the left side of the airplane I had the opportunity to see the city of Stockholm one last time before it disappeared behind the clouds.

Once in flight the crew handed over the menus to the b.light passengers. Quickly after it was time to buy the food. As I was again hungry ;-) I decided to taste the tuna sandwich. This time they still had some!! The contrast between the tuna sandwich and the cheese sandwich was very large. The tuna sandwich tastes good and is IMHO much better than the poor cheese sandwich.

The rest of the flight was uneventful and the crew worked again in a professional and friendly way!! After a little bit more than 2hours of flight we landed on runway 25L with 5 minutes delay on the schedule.

All in all, the first experience with b.light was positive. I had two enjoyable flights and SN managed to bring me from A to B on time with a comparable service as other low cost airlines. In addition to that you have the possibility to choose your seats which is a very nice feature. I would definitley recommend SN. Despite the fact that it isn't the same as before you get good value for your money. Even though I miss the good old day where you could get a free meal and Neuhaus chocolates, the b.light concept doesn’t seem to be bad at all!!!

Last but not least, for both flights I proceeded with the internet check-in on SN’s website. It went smooth and is nicely implemented on the website.

I hope you enjoyed the report.

Chris

Next trips coming soon:

AUG 31 MRS-CDG AF 7665
SEP 7 BRU-THF SN 2587
SEP 8 THF-BRU SN 2586

Maybe one of the crew members doing these flights reads this ;-) Would be nice to meet some crew people on board.

PS: I have some pictures which will be following very soon.. but due to some computer troubles I wasn't able to download them yet.

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Very nice report, Chris. You should fly more often!

I'll fly the same segments in June 2008 and will provide a comparative report.
André
ex Sabena #26567

Avro

Post by Avro »

Thanks André ! I'll try to fly more often with my job in the future :-)

Chris

sab319
Location: Mortsel, antwerp, Flanders, Belgium, Europe, Earth, Milky way

Post by sab319 »

nice report, proves just like I experienced that b.light isn't that bad, if you can get a cheap fare

Avro

Post by Avro »

And here one of the pictures I made during the flights: Not the best quality unfortunately. Some reflections of the fuselage are visible on the engine cowling.

Jacob330

Post by Jacob330 »

Very nice report!
sab319 wrote:nice report, proves just like I experienced that b.light isn't that bad, if you can get a cheap fare
Well, i was thinking i was the only one who likes the new concept of Brussels Airlines after reading posts on this forum. I'm glad that there are some others who like it too :P

FLY4HOURS.BE

Post by FLY4HOURS.BE »

Nice report Avro.
I travelled on the DWD 4 days later from Cagliari and I agree that the seats are worn out. My flight was full to the point that some B'Flex pax were seated in the B'light section, sandwiched between B'light pax.
I enjoyed the professional crew and when I asked the cap to take a look at the cockpit, I was satisfied very gently.
I would also recommend SN for their travelling comfort, but avoided their catering.
I don't know whether the Avros are equipped with ovens but I wouldn't find it bad if it were possible to order some Lasagna's or little pasta meals. That isn t more difficult to prepare than Aiki noodles :-D

A little issue I found is that there is only one aft lavatory and that on the return flights with longer duration it tends to get full as the fore lavatories are reserved to the crew.
Fly4hours, making the path to airline pilot affordable to all

OO-SBZ

Post by OO-SBZ »

Jacob330 wrote:Very nice report!
sab319 wrote:nice report, proves just like I experienced that b.light isn't that bad, if you can get a cheap fare
Well, i was thinking i was the only one who likes the new concept of Brussels Airlines after reading posts on this forum. I'm glad that there are some others who like it too :P
Well, you can count me in too...
BRU-LIS-BRU
BRU-BMA-BRU

Bru.Air has become my favourite budget carrier :wink:

Flybe

Post by Flybe »

Well, i was thinking i was the only one who likes the new concept of Brussels Airlines after reading posts on this forum. I'm glad that there are some others who like it too
Count me in too. Thing is that people tend to be reacting bad when it comes to changes, they try to avoid it. I hop that they don't, as it is the biggest danger that b.air now risks.
A little issue I found is that there is only one aft lavatory and that on the return flights with longer duration it tends to get full as the fore lavatories are reserved to the crew.
Weird, I normally never go to the toilet, but on my last flight with b.air, I really had to,and as I was seated just behind B.Flex, I got up, walked further up to the front to the flight attendant standing there, smiled and asked if I could use the toilet, and she let me use the front one without a problem. I was very lucky I guess! :D

PS: I hope that there are not too many typos, they use qwerty here in Italy!

greets,

Pieter