Ex-Mayor relives horror flight on burning plane...

Share your experiences about your latest flights: details and pictures are highly appreciated by our community. How do you rate airlines, in-flight meals, frequent flyer programs, etc... join this forum now!
SN30952

Ex-Mayor relives horror flight on burning plane...

Post by SN30952 »

Talking of an experience : Monarch Airlines' A330 Airbus
Janet Rider, Mayor of Shaftesbury 11 years ago, was on her way home from a holiday in Cuba.....

The passenger cabin filled with the smell of burning rubber.
The captain said it was a slight electrical fault which they were trying to rectify.
The engines cut out and everything went silent.
We started to fall rapidly

Read all in the Western Gazette...

Lien

Post by Lien »

Hi Fons,

The funny thing is that 11 years ago Monarch did not have any A330 but they had some A300's.

They have A330's only since 1999.

BTW a scary story anyway.

Avro

Post by Avro »

Lien,

If you read the article carefully, you'll realize that the incident happend a few weeks ago and not in 1992.

Ciao
Chris
8)

SN30952

Talking about...

Post by SN30952 »

Lien wrote:Hi Fons, The funny thing is that 11 years ago Monarch did not have any A330 but they had some A300's. They have A330's only since 1999. BTW a scary story anyway.
Yes I was surprised too: that's why I mentioned TALKING about...
But as I read this this happened way back, not a few weeks ago ...
to the 'Mayor of Shaftesbury"

concordino

Post by concordino »

How wonderful the english language can be!!!

The sentence should read that the lady who was mayor 11 years ago( or used to be mayor), was travelling back from holiday......

I'm no great grammar freak but if you check out those 2 commas in the sentence and delete the words between, you will see the true sense of what is meant.

Concordino
(trying not to be pedantic)

SN30952

Terr-a terra?

Post by SN30952 »

concordino wrote:How wonderful the english language can be!!!
The sentence should read that the lady who was mayor 11 years ago( or used to be mayor), was travelling back from holiday......
Concordino
(trying not to be pedantic)
Now, Concordino, you seem to be Latin?
The story ended with the lady who was mayor 11 years ago arriving at Gatwick and calling that: Even though it was pouring with rain and freezing I was never more glad to be back on terra firma.

She calls Gatwick terra firma. (firmus : firm, strong, reliable, solid)
Terra firma [L.], firm or solid earth, as opposed to water, n. Solid ground; dry land.
And I hear her say: (Pronunciation:) `teru'furmu (as English people would do)
That's pedantic, Concordino... :wink: and totally :offtopic: too!

But Terra is if you remember, a Nasa spacecraft designed to monitor how Earth's atmosphere, lands, oceans, solar radiation and life influence each other. Terra spacecraft was launched December 18, 1999 and reached its final orbit in February 2001. The mission is expected to last six years.