Ex-Biman workers want to use the brand name 'Biman'.

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

SN30952

Ex-Biman workers want to use the brand name 'Biman'.

Post by SN30952 »

'Biman Employees Airlines,' and 'Balaka' are among the other names they are considering for their new venture.

As long as they don't want to use the same aircraft, that's all right*.

Biman called for voluntary retirement for 1400 employees as part of trimming operations preparatory to going public last month. Instead, over 2,000 employees opted for the scheme.

The management is sending employees out with hefty compensation cheques ranging from taka one to four million (US$16,667 to 66,667). A total of Taka 3.25 billion (US$54,166,667) will be required to pay off the 1,863 employees.

*they have plans to operate flights on the Dhaka-Dubai-London and the Dhaka-Dubai-New York routes.
Instead of DC-10 aircraft, they will use Boeing-777, but will we not see them in EBBR....?
Among the ex's are former managing director of Biman, Abdul Muyeed Chowdhury, former president of the Bangladesh Airlines Pilots' Association (BAPA) Captain Nasimul Haque and other high-profile former Biman executives.

SN30952

Balaka....

Post by SN30952 »

Balaka?
Why would an airline be named after a fish, I've been asked.
I don't know. Can somebody help out?

Note: I checked my source, the name is not Kabala

Advisor

Post by Advisor »

Balaka means swan in Bengali :wink:

Wonder where u got the fish story from :oops:
Aum Sweet Aum.

Homo Aeroportus

Post by Homo Aeroportus »

Advisor wrote:

Wonder where u got the fish story from
Maybe confusion with Bacalao? :lol:

Bom Dia !

SN30952

Post by SN30952 »

Advisor wrote:Balaka means swan in Bengali :wink:

Wonder where u got the fish story from :oops:
Please follow the 'fish' link in my post, Advisor.
Image btw, Swan like the zwaan of KLM?
Check these slides First click: Zwaan neemt een vlucht and go to the right panel.

regi

Post by regi »

After my one and only experience with Biman, I have my doubts if the old Biman employees could run a new airline decently.
They have been used to run away when there are delays ( in the case of Biman, we talk about delays when you count in days, and have to talk about hotels , transit visa, hijacked luggage etcetera)
These employees are brainwashed by the system that an oversold airplane still can make place for 2 high ranking guys in business class , kicking out 2 passengers who were seated already.
These employees have no clue what customer service means.
They can not handle modern in flight entertainment systems. The old video system showing 1970's comic shows is not comparable with the computerised systems which fail constantly and need rebooting in the middle of movies.
The stewardesses will not understand that they are unattractive, with their bellys popping out of the sarongs. And the stewards find it normal to shout at passengers.
The best proof that they have no idea what good managment / business / marketing means is that they would want to name their own airline to an airline with one of the worst reputations ever.
Would these ex employees understand that if you want to use B777's, you need to pay for it? Saying that you are a poor country, and money no have doesn't count in the aviation industry. No money, no flying. And leasing means that you need some guarrantee. A land title of a swamp infested by slums in Dhaka doesn't make a good impression to use as a guarrantee.
What is their experience with electronic tickets? And what will the guards at the Dhaka airport say when somebody says he has an electronic ticket, trying to get in the terminal (together with the other 10,000 desperate ones waiting already for 3 days for their rich cousin from Manchester)
Has that former staff any knowledge how a clean toilet looks like? And what to do when it is not more so clean?
Would the female flight attendants be prepared to act as sky nannies - Emirates style? They should be prepared, because Biman always carried some busloads of babies on board in economy.
Can somebody explain to that new company that when you have a flight Brussels-Dhaka, that it is very worrying for passengers when this flight turns into a saga Brussels - London - Delhi or Dubai - Sylhet - Dhaka , enlarging the flight with some days.
Can somebody tell the mechanic that when hydraulic oil gulfs out the undercarriage, he should not say that this is normal - cfr. the documentory about Zaventem airport.
Would the new purchasing department understand that when you want new covers on the seats, it is better to take some modern fabric and not a left over curtain with the 70's flower design?
Would there be any chance to do repairs without 3M tape? And westerners like it that the toilet door can be closed.

SN30952

Post by SN30952 »

regi wrote:These employees have no clue what customer service means.
They can not handle modern in flight entertainment systems. The old video system showing 1970's comic shows is not comparable with the computerised systems which fail constantly and need rebooting in the middle of movies.
The stewardesses will not understand that they are unattractive, with their bellys popping out of the sarongs. And the stewards find it normal to shout at passengers.
I have flown with them too.
And I stayed in Bangladesh.
The Bangladeshi mentality indeed does not meet with Western standards.
There is that superior feeling they have over them. There's also the way they treat 'Christian dogs'.... (Euh, I don't like to say, but I would lie, if I said the opposite) But also there are many friendly people. Ask them why they leave their mother country.

And then there was this episode. The Biman stewards, stewardesses and flight engineer stood all next to a broken seat in the front cabin. One has to know, that cabin looks like the F-and later C-class cabin of old Sabena DC10's. Comes in SN30952, who takes his seat and sees what is happening. After a few minutes looking, I asked: Can I help. And after, a ' if we cannot mend it, you can't. So I was allowed to and removed the middle armrest, that gives better access to the reclining back. What I discovered there, I think it would not be showing respect to the LZ-readers, if I gave a description. So they called in cleaners, who removed the living rubbish. Then it was possible to get the seat backs moving again. Meanwhile the passengers in those seats had taken mine and the next seat that was free. It was not easy to get my seat back in that DC10 Biman business class.
Later in the flight, the cabin crew came to have a chat. They were asking how I knew how to do. We had some talk in which I discovered, the training of these people was far away from standards we knew. And during the flight even the FE came sit next to me, asking if I had some more useful tricks of the trade.
So far for that illustration.

Years later when EK came into DAC, these people also discovered the lack of training at all echelons of airline. Then they picked the bests and left the others. That made it even worse for BG, that went in a faster downwards spiral.

So as usual in such situations, (Look in Cameroon, Nigeria, Ghana, ...) there are three categories of staff:
The ones that left, because they could make a better salary because they are good enough to compete in international standards environment.
The ones that stayed, that have good levels and are skillful, that believed they could handle and improve the situation, some of them want to start the new business.
The ones that stay, that made the reputation of the airline, because, oh you know very well why... Some were able wheeling and dealing to pick up bread crumbs from the airlines that are taking the international business.
The majority of the Bangla outbound traffic seems labour. These 'foreign' workers earn lots and lots more than the local staff, including the BG-staff, and jealousy is the main motivation of Biman airlines staff to treat them unfriendly, that attitude reflects on all passengers, except the ones the state owned company's staff fears.

So all together, I would not distrust the ones that feel able to make the new start, if they get the money together... If they will go trough better training and attitude changes. And facing their responsibilities they will adept to passengers' needs, I would expect.

regi

Post by regi »

please explain about the living rubbish! :o

SN30952

Post by SN30952 »

regi wrote:please explain about the living rubbish! :o
Answer not eligible for publication, see your mailbox, regi.

regi

Post by regi »

I had once a moving salad in one of the most expensive western restaurants in Saigon. But that was not in an airplane, so of subject.

carlcat

Post by carlcat »

i have been a lot of times in contact with the Biman crew as stewards , stewardess and pilots .

They are all competent and willing to bring service , they have to work with what they have .

if a pilot can fly with obsolete airplanes as the DC10 they can fly with a 777 . This are pilots of the old generation , they can fly with an airplane and they dont need a computer . So if the want to start a new Biman ; please go ahead with their experieneces and they will reach their target .
The only thing they need behind them is a good manager

regi

Post by regi »

and money

carlcat

Post by carlcat »

Yes indeed money . Look to what Mr Kuypers is doing , he is reliable , he proved himself in the past and investors follow him . Up to New Biman to find such a manager . We wish it to them ?