Pilot shortage at Brussels Airlines ?

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

FlyA330

Pilot shortage at Brussels Airlines ?

Post by FlyA330 »

They told me that, last week, Bru.Air cancelled 4 flights due to crew shortage. Too many pilots are leaving the company and they have problems to fill up the empty places. Around 50 left the company in a very short period.

Anyone with more news about this? What is happening over there??

Outsync

Post by Outsync »

Probably that there are better working conditions for pilots in other country's ?

FLY4HOURS.BE

Post by FLY4HOURS.BE »

New trainig session starts 30th july. I don't know about the number of the selected trainees though. Many are still in the selection phase.
Fly4hours, making the path to airline pilot affordable to all

EBBR

Post by EBBR »

Due to shortage of pilots 2 rj aircraft would be grounded is a rumour, I need confirmation or denial pls!

fcw

Post by fcw »

Outsync wrote:Probably that there are better working conditions for pilots in other country's ?
!
Last edited by fcw on 05 Dec 2013, 12:52, edited 1 time in total.

boul

Post by boul »

... and the exodus is still going on !

Salary below international standards combined with high taxes, poor company development and professional outlook tends pilots to leave.
Management unable to fill the gap in time causes the colleages to work at max speed, resulting in more departures.
In general the leaving ones are among the most qualified, experienced and internationally highly appreciated.
This way B.Air is creating a kind of experience vacuum which in turn could become a very threatening situation...

phenix

Post by phenix »

so , it's a good situation for young pilot without type rating."ab initio"

i send my cv via CVWAREHOUSE "3times" and always any reply.

I havn t job and i m ready .

have you a “special” e-mail to send my cv to get a reply?????

Thanks a lot

FlightMate

Post by FlightMate »

their biggest problem is to train captains. As it takes (well, at least it should take) more time to train than an ab-initio pilot.
And recently, few training captains (TRI/TRE, etc...) left or will be leaving the company, thus bringing a shortage in training capacity.

And indeed, it might be possible some aircraft will be grounded in september due to lack of crew...

pressman

Post by pressman »

Phenix ,

If the grammer on your CV is as bad as it is here , maybe that's the reason you are getting no answer .

JAF 23

Post by JAF 23 »

pressman wrote:Phenix ,

If the grammer on your CV is as bad as it is here , maybe that's the reason you are getting no answer .
I must say you are right. First selection is the hardest: a CV that doesn't match their standards has no chance.

McBill

Post by McBill »

pressman wrote:Phenix ,

that would be grammAr :)
Flying with me? Check my schedule and flight history with succinct trip reports here

FlyA330

Post by FlyA330 »

I don't think the problem is shortage in FO's but the Captains and experienced FO's are leaving. In my opinion the biggest problem is that Bru.Air, in the near future, will only have FO's with less experience and without the hours to get an upgrade. Since the unions won't accept direct entry Captains, the gap will grow...
As already mentioned, crews are now flying close to the maximum and are not happy anymore. If this situation will not change, more pilots will leave.

fly

Post by fly »

10 last week and about 10 the week before and that is from all fleets not just avro, 90 pilots left so far this year. if it goes on like this Brussels airlines will be without pilots by the end of the year.

Outsync

Post by Outsync »

Pretty sad news. But it's not just the fault bru a, in my opinion the goverment has something to do with it too. Seeing that there are still taxes on the training programme etc..

dre

Post by dre »

I agree with outsync. Could quicker upgrades, more tax efficient per diems, extralegal advantages, good rostering maybe help?

I understand that for Bru.Airlines they have to work with the belgian government. Maybe an idea to move the effective management out of the country? Ireland or Cyprus for example.

Hope it works out well for them. To many nice friends working there...

AirDupont

Post by AirDupont »

isn't 90 a little exagerated????

airazurxtror

Post by airazurxtror »

dre wrote: I understand that for Bru.Airlines they have to work with the belgian government. Maybe an idea to move the effective management out of the country?
Pierre Godfroid has in the past tried to have the Sabena pilots salary paid in Luxemburg : they would have paid far less taxes on it, while continuing to enjoy the Belgian advantages (good national health service, hospitals, schools for the children, police, brandweer, and so on and so on) paid for by the other (less lucky) Belgian workers.
It was not fair, and it was not allowed by the government, quite rightly.

FlyA330

Post by FlyA330 »

It seems that every day during September and October, 2 Avro's or 146's of Bru.Air will be kept on ground to compensate the crew shortage. :?

zooloflyer

Post by zooloflyer »

Maybe that's part of the plan...

This would mean the Avro's would go first as the 146 are owned by DAT.

People are leaving by the dozens and NO reaction - strange - same thing seems to be going on at TC and TUI.

I wonder what it's gonna be like in 6 months from now as Air France and KLM will be opening their doors.

Wait and see - a belgian plumber strategy.

FlyA330

Post by FlyA330 »

Also my opinion. This is already going on for more than 2 years now and they are still doing nothing. The management of Bru.Air who were angry at the pilots leaving, telling them that it was stupid to leave the company, left Bru.Air too and are now working for a new cargo company... :shock:
Let's hope they will do something in a short time...or the last one will close the doors of Belgian Aviation