Brussels Airlines considers global alliance

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

spotter1102

Brussels Airlines considers global alliance

Post by spotter1102 »

Brussels Airlines has begun looking at joining a global alliance Oneworld, Skyteam or Star Alliance.

Brussels Airlines has already codeshare agreements with carriers from the three groups.

Best regards,

sab319
Location: Mortsel, antwerp, Flanders, Belgium, Europe, Earth, Milky way

Post by sab319 »

I don't think the question is which alliance Brussels airlines prefers but rather which alliance would still be interested in the airline, and imho that would be one world...

camel

Post by camel »

Where did you find info about that fact?

If you take a look at their important african network it seems very clear to me that they would choose for oneworld because of their AA codeshare. Also on the long haul, British Airways serves other routes on the african continent.

Let's hope they can/may join this allinace.

spotter1102

Post by spotter1102 »

We have to hope that Etihad Airways, Hainan Airlines and Jet Airways will join the same alliance that Brussels Airlines !

Ducatibiker

Post by Ducatibiker »

Very good news ! Hope Brussels Airlines management is looking at all options including Star Alliance.

spotter1102

Post by spotter1102 »

Ducatibiker wrote:Very good news ! Hope Brussels Airlines management is looking at all options including Star Alliance.

I guess Star Alliance or Skyteam ! :wink:

eurofighter

Post by eurofighter »

I agree with sab319. It's more like the alliance that seeks the benefits from Brussels Airlines, which is their African network.

nldogbert

Post by nldogbert »

Hi,

Great to hear if they are seriously considering it. The most probable alliance that they will join is OW. They have lots of relationship with most of the OW airlines. I don't think AF and KLM would be happy if they were in ST. It might work with *A, though I think SN have nothing to gain in this alliance.

However, I think that with the current situation after the merger with Virgin, Brussels airlines has become the Aer Lingus which was in the OW alliance. It was obvious they left due to the change in strategy of where it was heading.

I am not sure how they will adapt to being in an alliance with full service airlines while its internal EU operation is heading towards the low cost service. As many have said, their African network is an attraction. So maybe this might work out.

Well, let's keep up with the development. Too bad they did not think of this earlier before merging with Virgin. The former SN was really a top notch service airline.

Just my 2 cents.

:)

Stij

Post by Stij »

If you compare BruAir's service with AA's service, there's not that much difference, apart from a non alcoholic drink.

Kind regards,

Stij

sn26567

Re: Brussels Airlines considers global alliance

Post by sn26567 »

spotter1102 wrote:Brussels Airlines has begun looking at joining a global alliance Oneworld, Skyteam or Star Alliance.
Posted on 29 June in Luchtzak Latest news: https://www.aviation24.be/article14477.html
André
ex Sabena #26567

BrightCedars

I'd vote for oneworld as the least bad option

Post by BrightCedars »

oneworld is definitely the one that makes the most sense if SN's interest has anything to say in this decision, I would hope that a sizeable equity stake would be involved.

I don't know the small print but I feel there has always been a special relationship between SN & BA ever since the demise of Sabena and the transaction of LHR slots.

Also, BA definitely has the most complementary network to that of SN, and doesn't have numerous hubs and partners on the continent. There is the relationship with IB but it's not really integrated, and the relationship with MA is no better. Their home market is saturated with O&D thus a nearby hub could become a revenue potential, although their attitude towards regional UK airports seem to show a lack of interest for anything not London. The relationship with AA also seems to be a good basis.

However, I fail to see what could be the advantage to join SkyTeam with the presence of AF and KL hubs at AMS and CDG, their established and aggressive position on the African market and easy access on the Belgian market, and the membership of KQ - one of Africa's few big airlines (AT, ET, KQ, MS and SA if you ask me).

Star Alliance poses similar problems on the European scene with a host of hubs and partners making Brussels superficial e.g. CPH, FRA, LIS, MUC, VIE, WAW & ZRH, BD, LO, LX, SK, TP,... And LH has a good African network plus the relationship with SA within Star is quite good and productive. MS's forthcoming membership may come to help cover more of Africa.

It will be interesting to see where AT and ET go, and I feel it maybe oneworld. Also, whatever the alliance, it would be irrational to believe that it will generate a lot of thru traffic from/to Africa as most routings will suggest at the minimum 2 stops, at the alliance main hub and at BRU. The way thru HEL could be acceptable though given the shorter flight times enjoyed by AY to Asia. Asia-HEL-BRU-Africa seems acceptable. Pointing to oneworld once again!

star alliance

Post by star alliance »

Hello everybody,

Indeed it is good news that Brussels Airlines wants to join an alliance, finally we see some strategy. I prefer Star Alliance, but when we start thinking we all know that One World is more logical, because of the good cooperation between Brussels Airlines and British Airways, Finnair and others. Let us all hope that the management takes the right decision...

Jelten.

spotter1102

Post by spotter1102 »

If Brussels Airlines become a One World member, it could accelerate the decision of Royal Jordanian (One World) to relaunch a direct BRU-AMM route more probably by Embraer ERJ-195-200 :wink:

b720

Post by b720 »

If I am not mistaken royal jordanian flew to Bru..

Pikey

Post by Pikey »

Where did you find this info? Is this a rhumour or a fact?

Regards

itami

Post by itami »

Can Brussels Airlines afford such an expensive membership ?