MIL spotting in Crete, Greece

A place to discuss military aviation: airshows, stunning pictures, weapons, etc...

Moderator: Latest news team

GEA

MIL spotting in Crete, Greece

Post by GEA »

Hey guys.
I'm going to Crete next week. Does anyone have any experiences with spotting and taking pictures in Greece?
Best regards
GEA

ElcoB

Post by ElcoB »

I never was in Greece, but I remember that spotters in Greece are not welcome: see :arrow: How did plane-spotters end up as spies?

GEA

Post by GEA »

Hey ElcoB.
Thanks for your reply. I knew (as the rest of the world probably does) of that particular incident but it's over 5 years ago, so I was hoping that things had changed since then. Anyway, if there's anyone with first hand experiences, you're more than welcome to write it in here.
Best regards
GEA

Andries

Post by Andries »

I have done some spotting at Crete (Heraklion) but only of civil aircraft and from inside the transition zone of the airport. This was 4 years ago and they weren't so happy with all the pictures. I got to keep my pictures, but you could tell they were annoyed by it.

I don't know about militairy spotting ... but the 2 Dutchmen that were held 5 years ago were just writing down registrations, not even taking pictures ... (at least that's what I heard)

Just a quick search on airliners.net shows only 100 images from Heraklion. This clearly states the situation if you ask me. A touristic airport like Heraklion and ONLY 100 pictures ...

Greetz,

:twisted: Andries :twisted:
Don't dream your life, live your dream !!!

Moons / A

Post by Moons / A »

Hello,

I've been 3 times at Crete, once Heraklion and twice Chania. It's indeed so they don't like it. Chania is also a military base. So you can see F 16's taking off, you can see the hangars etc. But they have clear guidelines about taking pics. I've made a few when I deboarded on the tarmac and no problems. But you can't turn your camera towards the military section.

have a nice holiday, Crete is great!
regards, Moons