Ryanair paying passengers to fly?

Share your experiences about your latest flights: details and pictures are highly appreciated by our community. How do you rate airlines, in-flight meals, frequent flyer programs, etc... join this forum now!
terenia

Ryanair paying passengers to fly?

Post by terenia »

I read in the latest newsthat Ryanair is paying 1 GBP to passengers for a limited booking period. Bullshit! My husband's boss, who lives in Chester (UK) tried this afternoon to book a seat on a Charleroi-Liverpool flight in the right period, and instead of receiving 1 £ he had to pay 24.99 €.

So much for Ryanair's claim.

Do they read Luchtzak?

luchtzak

Post by luchtzak »

Another proof that Ryanair uses tricky marketing-techniques!

744rules

Post by 744rules »

Not only Ryanair uses/used this way of adverstising. I remember Citybird used to promote its flights with very low fares. When you read the small prints, it was only ONE WAY and without any fees/airport taxes.

Another thing that was not told to the public, is that only a limited number of seats was sold at these cheap conditions.

In the end, you get for what you pay and you pay for what you get. So nothing new here :wink:

EBAW_flyer

Post by EBAW_flyer »

READ before you say something. Allways read the terms, and by the way, on the RYR website it's stated correct;
Not only are we offering FREE SEATS, but Ryanair will also PAY £1.00 OFF airport and Government charges too!
So if you had to pay 24.99 € , the taxes would have normaly been 25.99 €.

luchtzak

Post by luchtzak »

EBAW_flyer wrote:So if you had to pay 24.99 € , the taxes would have normaly been 25.99 €.
Yes but they are selecting the words so your mind and everyone else thinks that Ryanair will pay you 1 € for your flight !

Lien

Post by Lien »

Yes but they are selecting the words so your mind and everyone else thinks that Ryanair will pay you 1 € for your flight !
Ok but this is the way advertising/publicity works, which some
call false.
Many people do not read complete sentences. In fact they read what
they want to see.
I see this happening weekly with emergency instructions on planes.

meerkat

Post by meerkat »

Their promotions do work!

My son phoned my this evening to tell me that he and his girlfriend will be flying in from Liverpool in December for a weekend at a cost (for the 2) of only UKP35 return(just over 50 Euro).

I guess that it will cost me a lot more to have them here 3 days!!!

Meerkat

L-1011

Post by L-1011 »

Anybody has a guess at how long Ryanair will be able to continue to operate like this :?:

With the problems in Charleroi and other airports I suppose it could change very quickly :!:

ciao,
TriStar 8)

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

I talked with my boss this morning. Indeed, when going all the way through the booking procexdure (which he did), it appears that the taxes would have been 25.99 € and the flight -1.00 €, BUT, on the website it says

flight: 24.99 €
taxes: 0.00 €.

This cannot be! Taxes have to be paid in any case. There is an absolute lack of transparency!
André
ex Sabena #26567

EBAW_flyer

Post by EBAW_flyer »

Taxes have to be paid in any case.
Ryanair will pay the rest of the taxes to the governement. In Belgium now there is an action that you don't have to pay for the taxes. I assume that RYR will pay them.

luchtzak

Post by luchtzak »

EBAW_flyer wrote:I assume that RYR will pay them.
This is exactly how they work: making advertising to make people assume that Ryanair pays the taxes :?

SN30952

Do I smell rubber burning?

Post by SN30952 »

sn26567 wrote:This cannot be! Taxes have to be paid in any case. There is an absolute lack of transparency!
Do I smell rubber burning? Or is this a breach?
About airport taxes it is always said as follows:
Airport taxes are payable by THE PASSENGER.
The issuer of the ticket may and in some cases has to collect this tax(es) and remit them on behalf of the passenger to the authority concerned.

Also it is known that taxes are non-commissionable.
We all know that in many cases it is not the passenger who pays the ticket nor the tax(es) but his company (employer).

It looks like this airline is undercollecting taxes, but will remit the correct amounts? Question is now: Is collecting the wrong amount a breach? Overcollecting would certainly be.... but undercollecting?
So it is not always rubber stamp...

Lien

Post by Lien »

L-1011 wrote:With the problems in Charleroi and other airports I suppose it could change very quickly

Unfortunately the ones you one out first will often last the longest.
Especially Michael O'Leary seems to be a strange person, but do not
underestimate him.
I say 'strange', because I once had a short conversation with
him which made me feel uneasy.

JetB

Ryanair paying passangers to fly

Post by JetB »

I just booked a flight to London Stansted from Chaleroi for next week, price 40 euro, and this for 4 people !!!!
The planes are new but start to look old and dirty in a short time. The cabin crew members dont know the word "service" and are not friendly when they cant sell a drink to you.
During my last flight to Liverpool there wasnt a lifevest under my seat FA told me that the flight was only full for 70 % so take the one next to you.
But what can you expect for 10 euro pp ? I hope a safe flight........
Anyway I fly them but i'm not going to cry when they stop flying from Belgium.
But also : 99 euro (BA) isnt a promotion in my eyes.... Also Virgin/Vlm and SN charge to much for a flight to London. So if you wanna fight Ryanair have a price around 50 euro, above !!!!! ....... People book Ryanair.

Comet

Post by Comet »

VLM may be expensive, but, believe me, their onboard service (and the inflight snacks they serve) are second to none. I have flown them between London City and Brussels and London City and Antwerp. You get what you pay for, I believe. You pay a higher price for VLM, but you reap the rewards in good service and comfortable seats (many leather, 32" seat pitch, which is good for a prop type) and their flights get very full, so many people must agree with my sentiment!!
Sabena and Sobelair - gone but never forgotten.
Louise

OO-SBZ

Re: Ryanair paying passangers to fly

Post by OO-SBZ »

BobClaes wrote:But what can you expect for 10 euro pp ?
Indeed Bob...
I like Belgian airlines such as SNBA (or even VEX) but if I can spend one day in London thanks to a cheap day-return flight (€ 12.50)... I fly Ryanair. There is no service... well I take my packed lunch aboard!

December is going to be my Ryanair month:
:arrow: 03/12: CRL-STN-CRL
:arrow: 13/12: CRL-DUB
:arrow: 15/12 : DUB - CRL

Btw, when they say 'Ryanair pay you to fly', they mean they pay the air-duty taxes...
1 million free seats and we pay £1 or €1 off your taxes each way

Available to book now on http://www.ryanair.com

Book before midnight Thursday 20th November
Free seats available everyday on every route

For each free seat booked we will also reduce the UK APD by £1 and
the return taxes from your chosen destination by £1

Travel between 20 November and 20 December
Offer applies from UK and Ireland only
Best regards!

BeN :idea:

SN30952

Re: Ryanair paying passangers to fly

Post by SN30952 »

BobClaes wrote:But what can you expect for 10 euro pp ?
Safe and decent air transport...
Here in the East you can fly Swiss BKK to SIN 2 hours out and 2h return, including a decent snack and a drink for just under 110 EURO.

Why should that not be possible in Europe?

JetB

Ryanair is paying passengers to fly

Post by JetB »

Dear Fons,

110 euro for a Swiss flight that takes 2 houres sounds normal, but we are talking Ryanair here.

example :

Dublin - Faro ( should be a two hour flight) 31 euro, round trip incl tax.
Chaleroi - Stockholm 20 euro, round trip incl tax.

Ryanair 20 to 31 euro - Swiss 110 euro !!!!!

This is not a low budget company, this is a low company..... even they word budget is to expensive for them

SN30952

Look at what they offer...

Post by SN30952 »

BobClaes wrote:Dear Fons,..., but we are talking Ryanair here.
Yes Bob, I read you, 5/5.
But I still do not understand why people get nervous when talking low cost?

For any other service or product sold in the world there is a low cost and a luxury item doing allmost the same basic essntial service.
You'll find cheap handphones and you will find very, very expensive ones.
But when you talk on the phone, it is what you say that counts.
In Dutch we say, An ape with golden ring, remains an ugly thing.

So what they give is what they offer, at the price they say. And that cannot be said of all airlines...

The thing to worry with low cost is the standards they handle: safety is the main concern for an airline.

JetB

Post by JetB »

Dear Fons,

True what you say..... the only concern is saftey.

But thats my question, can you trust a company like Ryanair. They are not transparent if it comes to there fares, there contracts with airports, basically anything. So what about transparency if it comes to saftey and maintance ?

Most people call this a airline, I like to call them a Dot.Com. The product airplane/airline is not relevent.

I know its not about service for them, its about keeping the share price up. And what makes the investor happy ? profit and trafic growth..... and thats why they have these 10 euro deals, even during a bad period they can show there investors that they moved more people.

And I know thats how buisness works, but i'm just wondering if this company isnt built on air ?

Anyway about saftey, I told you before that there new planes look like crap in no time. These puppy's have to work yes, but inside its so dirty, there is gum everywhere. I also mentiond the lifevest missing under my seat, and there reaction ? Seats are standing lose. FA's from different countries not even understanding eachouther. One time I was sitting at a emergency exit. The original seat was replaced with one that had a armrest. But thats forbidden at a emergency exit, so what they did was just saw it off. I could not believe this, it even had sharp edges thats how i found out in the first place, this was on a new Boeing 737/800.

Thats only what I can see inside the plane, so if they dont care about details inside why would thet care about the outside, the engines ?

I believe in the product budget airlines, like Easyjet and Virgin-express but something is just not right with Ryanair !.

I had the chance to work for them, but thats a other story. Anyway I walked away because I could not believe the rudeness and disrespect this company has for there own people.

About there FA's : if you are somebody with no friends, who doest care about family. Who's belongings fit in a backpack, and you are willing to move within a week to wherever Ryanair wants you. And willing to pay for your training and 5 week stay in Amsterdam. This is a great company for you....... Your looks, your age, your language skill's, your weight (fat) doesnt matter, if you have the CASH, they want you ! Or is it just the cash...........?

So anyway, what do you think about Ryanair and saftey :wink: