Sydney to Auckland with Air New Zealand

Share your experiences about your latest flights: details and pictures are highly appreciated by our community. How do you rate airlines, in-flight meals, frequent flyer programs, etc... join this forum now!
Comet

Sydney to Auckland with Air New Zealand

Post by Comet »

This flight took place on 14th September 1995.

We arrived at Sydney Kingsford Smith airport in the morning, for an early afternoon departure to Auckland in New Zealand. This was part of a halfway round the world multi-stop holiday, all flights with Air New Zealand. London Heathrow to Los Angeles and Los Angeles to Sydney were reported earlier in the Airline Experiences forum.

I found that Sydney airport was very good for viewing, with an excellent balcony and also many windows. I saw my first DC8 for years (I don't know who it belonged to) and a Thai aircraft in a special livery as we sat in the cafe.

Here is a photo of a Qantas 747-400 and a Singapore Airlines 747-400 behind it.
We also saw "Wanula Dreaming", the Qantas 747 which was painted in a red Aboriginal art scheme, but we didn't get a photo as we were on the bus at the time!!

Here is a Qantas 747 just after take off (the Air New Zealand 747 was our aircraft).

Here is our aircraft with a DC-10 of Continental Micronesia

We were flying on a Boeing 747-400, flight number NZ104. I had been lucky enough to get a window seat, but it didn't really matter as the aircraft was only about a quarter full and everyone chose a seat to suit themselves anyway.

We took off at 1.30. The runway at Sydney jutted out into the sea, and so we had a spectacular take off, followed by an even more spectacular sharp turn, offering superb views of the Sydney Harbour Bridge and the Opera House. I wish now that I'd taken photos of them, but I didn't!

The cabin crew were reasonable, which was more than can be said for the meal. I asked for a lamb curry, as I normally love Indian style food. The lamb, however, was inedible. It was solid, hard and of teeth-breaking consistency!! It was possible to play a tune on it with the fork!! The rice was tough as well. The dessert was a Waldorf salad, which was okay.

There was some turbulence throughout the flight, and I sat and watched the winglet fluttering at the more severe times. The flight lasted 2 hours 27 minutes, and, with New Zealand being 2 hours in front of Australia, we landed in Auckland just before 6pm.

It was dark when we landed, and I was starving because the meal had been so bad and we hadn't eaten in Sydney, so we went to McDonalds in the airprot and I had a fish burger and chips.

It wasa memorable flight in a very memorable holiday.
Last edited by Comet on 16 Nov 2003, 22:58, edited 1 time in total.
Sabena and Sobelair - gone but never forgotten.
Louise

Avro

Post by Avro »

Again a very nice trip report.

Unfortunately there is a problem with the pictures since I only see red crosses everywhere :cry:

Ciao
Chris
8)

Avro

Post by Avro »

muller wrote:Ach so und wo sind die Bilder ? Where are the pictures ?
muller, why are you writing partly in german in all your posts ?????

Chris

Comet

Post by Comet »

Sorry about the problem with the photos. I've edited the post and now the photos are displaying OK.

Glad you liked the report Chris.
Louise

Avro

Post by Avro »

Thanks for fixing it up that quickly Louise ;)

Greetings
Chris
8)

Comet

Post by Comet »

That's okay Chris.

I'm glad you liked it because no one else seemed to (so much for my contributions to this site being good!!)
Louise

Comet

Post by Comet »

According to the ANZ website, NZ104 now leaves two hours earlier at 11:30 and is flown by the A320, which I think is more suitable for the route than the 747-400, which was completely uneconomical. There is no sense in operating a four-engined aircraft when it is only a quarter full.
Louise

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Comet wrote:I'm glad you liked it because no one else seemed to (so much for my contributions to this site being good!!)
Comet,

I have only read your report now, with the pictures fixed. I did appreciate it. Seldom do we hear about travelling down under. Thanks for letting us share your experience.
André
ex Sabena #26567

Comet

Post by Comet »

Thanks for your positive comments Andre. I have one more down under type flight to write about (there will only be one picture in that one), and that flight was one weird experience!

Sorry for the photo quality not being 100%, not having a digital camera means I have to scan the photos in and then really reduce the file size to make them display quicker (and make them smaller so they fit on the page without having to scroll left and right, which I know is a big pain sometimes).

And again, I have never seen a 747 so empty, but apparently it was a common problem. On a return flight from LA we were sat next to a girl who had flown SYD-AKL on a 747, and she said that was mostly empty as well. I think that was bad management on the part of Air New Zealand.
Louise