VLM F50 skidded off runway at Groningen - Eelde

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

OO-VEX

VLM F50 skidded off runway at Groningen - Eelde

Post by OO-VEX »

A Fokker 50 of VLM Airlines has skidded of the runway at Groningen (source: De Standaard). At 2100 a VLM flight was scheduled to land from London City, with a stop in Amsterdam. No injuries were reported and the plane did not caught fire.

OO-VEX

blackhawk

Post by blackhawk »

http://www.nu.nl/news/1082037/10/Passag ... raakt.html

11 passengers on board and 3 crew, plane was unable to stop and overrun the runway

vc-10

Post by vc-10 »

Hope everyone is ok....

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

André
ex Sabena #26567

blackhawk

Post by blackhawk »

sab319
Location: Mortsel, antwerp, Flanders, Belgium, Europe, Earth, Milky way

Post by sab319 »

ouch, that's not really good advertising...

blackhawk

Post by blackhawk »

It seems to be a pilot error because of landing with tailwind ....

http://www.standaard.be/Artikel/Detail. ... 052007_014

fokker_f27

Post by fokker_f27 »

Is the aircraft still repairable or is she damaged beyond economical repair and will she be replaced?
The most sexy girl in the sky: The Sud-Est Caravelle 12.

rut-her

Post by rut-her »

On the news this evening they had better footage and I saw it was OO-VLJ.

Everywhere they talk about minimal damage, so the aircraft is still repairable I think.

Greetz,
Rutger

airazurxtror

Post by airazurxtror »

blackhawk wrote:It seems to be a pilot error because of landing with tailwind ....
I had always thought that the pilot is told by the tower on which runway to land ?
If he has landed with a tailwind, seems it's rather a tower error or else, the pilot didn't comply with its instructions - or the wind changed suddenly...

airazurxtror

Post by airazurxtror »

rut-her wrote:On the news this evening they had better footage and I saw it was OO-VLJ.
Or OO-VLI ?
http://www.112drenthe.com/

rut-her

Post by rut-her »

airazurxtror wrote:
rut-her wrote:On the news this evening they had better footage and I saw it was OO-VLJ.
Or OO-VLI ?
http://www.112drenthe.com/
That's also possible :D

Greetz,
Rutger

TUB001

Post by TUB001 »

airazurxtror wrote:
blackhawk wrote:It seems to be a pilot error because of landing with tailwind ....
I had always thought that the pilot is told by the tower on which runway to land ?
If he has landed with a tailwind, seems it's rather a tower error or else, the pilot didn't comply with its instructions - or the wind changed suddenly...
There is a tailwind component limit and if the pilot judges X rwy is not suitable for him, he can ask a rwy change and the ATC is not supppsed to refuse it.

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

airazurxtror wrote:Or OO-VLI ?
Clearly OO-VLI "Vanessa De Coster", the very plane on which I made my last trip on VLM (see report)
André
ex Sabena #26567

galaxy

Post by galaxy »

fokker_f27 wrote:Is the aircraft damaged beyond economical repair ?
I think that the psychological damage will be bigger than the economical repair. :(
Last edited by galaxy on 20 May 2007, 21:30, edited 1 time in total.

regi

Post by regi »

seems that Biman will get a "new" airplane

Bruspotter

Post by Bruspotter »

Hello

Really a pity... luckily no-one was injured and the plane was not completely destroyed.
I wouldn't really call it bad advertising. After all nothing really bad went wrong, the plane skidded of the runway (has happens more frequently around the world.), wasn't completely destroyed, neither it caught fire, no injured... just bad luck. Besides, VLM Airlines has a very good safety record as far as I know.

I hope they can repair the plane, they just bought a couple of new aircraft but if this plane would be written of it would be slam in the face, for the new expansion plans of VLM Airlines.

OO-VLI is a not so old frame in service of VLM if I remember good, not so good. If it was OO-VLJ, than it was one of the oldes planes (or THE oldest maybe).

Best regards: Yannick ;)

Avro

Post by Avro »

Bruspotter wrote:Hello

Really a pity... luckily no-one was injured and the plane was not completely destroyed.
I wouldn't really call it bad advertising. After all nothing really bad went wrong, the plane skidded of the runway (has happens more frequently around the world.), wasn't completely destroyed, neither it caught fire, no injured... just bad luck. Besides, VLM Airlines has a very good safety record as far as I know.
I'm sorry but there is no room for luck or bad luck in the aviation business and certainly not when safety of the pax is endangered. Yes they were fortunate that no pax were injured and that nothing more severe happened.
seems that Biman will get a "new" airplane
:mrgreen: Excellent !!

Chris

FLY4HOURS.BE

Post by FLY4HOURS.BE »

Well the ATC is supposed to vector you to the active runway, and the active runway is chosen accordingly in order to avoid tailwind components.
IT IS THE PILOT-IN-COMMAND's responsability to decide about he's (or her's) aircraft and passenger's safety and he (or her) has the final authority of the aircraft.
On the other hand ATC is supposed to give you reliable wind information...

Every aircraft has design limits it may not exceed in tailwind component. For as big a turbo-prop as a Fokker 50 this should be around 20kts tailwind.

Then it is about LDA(landing distance available) and calculations.

Some initial reports mentionned potential break failures...

Let's not speculate, hope they can recover some insurance money cause getting those landing gears fully checked will cost them quit some cash....
Not to talk about revenue loss, flight plan revisions, staff reconciliation, search for replacement aircraft....
Fly4hours, making the path to airline pilot affordable to all

FlyA330

Post by FlyA330 »

For as big a turbo-prop as a Fokker 50 this should be around 20kts tailwind.
In general the tailwind limit of aircraft is 10kts. No matter if you are flying a Fokker 50, a Cessna Citation or an Airbus A330.
No ATC would let you land with more than 10 kts. And if you do so, you would also be outside the aircraft limit !!