Air India, I have a dream. Actually, it's a nightmare.

Share your experiences about your latest flights: details and pictures are highly appreciated by our community. How do you rate airlines, in-flight meals, frequent flyer programs, etc... join this forum now!
SN30952

Air India, I have a dream. Actually, it's a nightmare.

Post by SN30952 »

Here is an experience by Sudeep Chakravarti; Hindustan Times New Delhi, November 13
I have a dream.
Actually, it's a nightmare. In it, I'm in an Airbus A310 of Air India, and it's about 2 am. We've taken off after a six-hour delay. I'm in a back row, aisle-seat, sandwiched between a passenger in front with his seat reclined and a drunk, snoring staffer in the row behind me, with his knees up and pushing my backrest forward. So I'm like a tortured Rodin sculpture. Then this wide-body -- a stewardess -- trundles back and forth. Every time she passes, her hip scrunches my shoulder. If my head flops the wrong way, her hip slams it back. Next morning I look up a word in the dictionary: whiplash.
This is a true story and fortunately.....

(Sudeep Chakravarti is Consulting Editor with the Hindustan Times.)
Write to him: [email protected]
You can read more in the Hindustan Times: I have a dream.

L-1011

Post by L-1011 »

Seems he really has a crush on Air India.

BTW: on Airdisasters this company has the worst rating !

ciao,
TriStar :cry:

gaja

Umm..AI is not that bad actually....

Post by gaja »

Not sure how many of you pundits passing judgement on AI have actually flown that airline. I fly JFK-LHR many times a year in biz and have good experience.

And regarding major accident it was in 80s and that too because some terrorist blew it in the air.

Avro

Post by Avro »

Well I just checked http://www.turbulentie.nl and it says that Air India is 7th worst company, regarding accidents.

Ciao
Chris
8)
Last edited by Avro on 13 Nov 2003, 22:56, edited 1 time in total.

gliding-glider

Post by gliding-glider »

I totally do not agree.

This kind of (unfortunate) story can happen in every airline.
When I still used to work within the aviation, I had to opportunity to fly several times on AI (we had a/c based and operating out of Bombay, Delhi, Calcutta and Madras) and never faced any problems when I flew onboard of them. Yes, there where some time some (slight?) delays (doesn't every airline has?), but we have always been treated correctly.
Moreover, service was totally above more than average and cabin crew being vering helpfull and friendly.
I also was once on board of another cy/long-haul flight, even in C class, where I couldn't catch sleep as another pax was snorring ...... that's life.

Greetz

SN30952

a matter of endowments?

Post by SN30952 »

gliding-glider wrote:I totally do not agree.
This kind of (unfortunate) story can happen in every airline......
I also was once on board of another cy/long-haul flight, even in C class, where I couldn't catch sleep as another pax was snorring ...... that's life.
Greetz
You said: This kind of (unfortunate) story can happen in every airline......
I say: This kind of (unfortunate) story should not happen in any airline......

You said: couldn't catch sleep .... in C-class...
I say: Some airlines have earplugs in their sundries endowments.... And I have my own earplugs, eyemask and inflattable collar...
Image Image Image
I count on the airline to make the area where I sit clean, comfortable and safe.

Comet

Post by Comet »

How come Air India are given such a poor record? As already stated, the crash off the Irish coast was down to terrorism, not faulty maintenance or pilot error.

What other serious, fatal accidents have involved this airline in the past few years for them to have such a poor record?

By the way, I think these safety league tables are a load of rubbish. Back in around 1990, the English media published a list of the safest airlines in the world based on no fatalities on their flights in the past 25 years. Both KLM and Pan Am were listed as having no fatal accidents. That obviously never took into account Lockerbie in 1988 (involving Pan Am and causing the death of 270 people) and Tenerife in 1977 (involving both Pan Am and KLM, many killed).
Sabena and Sobelair - gone but never forgotten.
Louise

SN30952

I am still a Panam-fan.

Post by SN30952 »

Comet wrote:That obviously never took into account Lockerbie in 1988 (involving Pan Am and causing the death of 270 people) and Tenerife in 1977 (involving both Pan Am and KLM, many killed).
Of course in both these and other cases Panam was a 'victim'.
There always was an outside cause...
The only fault of Panam was to be Panam, or to be there when it happened.
I always felt good on Panam, I flew Panam a lot, I am still a Panam-fan.
BTW Many Panam staff in Europe and elswhere, were Sabena before and vv. So no bad word about Panam...